Wout Weghorst | Wolfsburg...

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Wait, what is there to say he's not better than Haller?

Both failed in England, Weghorst has a better record in Germany and just as good in Holland.

Haller would surely be absolutely delighted if he went on to do as well as Weghorst did in the Bundesliga.
Well first of all Haller is doing very well at BVB after testicular cancer and I know I'm a little biased but I did not see WW score many goals for Ajax in the CL. Haller scored 10 goals in the six matches of the group stage. A statistic only Ronaldo, Messi and Lewandowski can also show.

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Wait, what is there to say he's not better than Haller?

Both failed in England, Weghorst has a better record in Germany and just as good in Holland.

Haller would surely be absolutely delighted if he went on to do as well as Weghorst did in the Bundesliga.
If you ignore the fact that Weghorst needed 1127 minutes just to score a goal in the Premier League, than yes.

OverratedOpinion

Well first of all Haller is doing very well at BVB after testicular cancer and I know I'm a little biased but I did not see WW score many goals for Ajax in the CL. Haller scored 10 goals in the six matches of the group stage. A statistic only Ronaldo, Messi and Lewandowski can also show.
He's doing okay, not as well as Weghorst has done in that league.

So one really good champions league group stage? I mean if that's your reason fair enough.

Seem really similar levels of player to me with Weghorst being the more proven in the Bundesliga which is the best league either of them have had any success.

OverratedOpinion

If you ignore the fact that Weghorst needed 1127 minutes just to score a goal in the Premier League, than yes.
If I was comparing him to a player who succeeded in the premier league that would be relevant. Haller had a record of like 1 in 5 here.

Slightly better I guess. Just feels irrelevant as clearly both were in over their heads here. Just seems strange that someone would act as though Haller is clearly better than him with little to no proof.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Can we just forget he ever played for us?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Depends where you're blocking the lane, Ferraris are pretty big cars and some wag is far less likely to nudge a Ferrari out of the way than a traffic cone.
Yeah they'll probably avoid the Ferrari, but it's dangerous is everyone's driving slowly and erratically to get a good look at that Ferrari.

Anyway. Good for Weghorst I suppose! (About the move, not the Ferrari stuff.)

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax

So one really good champions league group stage? I mean if that's your reason fair enough.

Seem really similar levels of player to me with Weghorst being the more proven in the Bundesliga which is the best league either of them have had any success.
Haller also did very well at Frankfurt which got him the transfer to the EPL. Let's say we'll continue this convo after Seb had another full BL season at BVB.

OverratedOpinion

Haller also did very well at Frankfurt which got him the transfer to the EPL. Let's say we'll continue this convo after Seb had another full BL season at BVB.
Well no the thing I was debating that up to this point it is strange to act like Haller has gone clear of Weghorst as a player.

If Haller goes onto score 250 goals next season with each one being a bicycle kick from half way I'd still be right as my point is about it being premature right now.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Well no the thing I was debating that up to this point it is strange to act like Haller has gone clear of Weghorst as a player.

If Haller goes onto score 250 goals next season with each one being a bicycle kick from half way I'd still be right as my point is about it being premature right now.
Well I guess we should agree to disagree then. For me WW was always your poor man's Dirk Kuyt where Haller always had the potential to be a top striker. It did not always come out but at Ajax and BVB he has shown what potential he has.

SAFMUTD

He's the hardest player to dislike as he clearly tries, gives his best but he's bloody awful. Looked completely out of depth here.

I like to think of him as if a fan got the chance to play for us.

Bogga

He's the hardest player to dislike as he clearly tries, gives his best but he's bloody awful. Looked completely out of depth here.

I like to think of him as if a fan got the chance to play for us.
He always seemed to have a smile on his face and despite most of the stuff going against him, he never stopped trying and running his ass off!
But when I saw him tap the Liverpool badge at Anfield... Imagine SAF seeing a player do that while he was in charge?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
This guy and Maguire are the definition of footballing frauds, when you think they somehow conned their way into the biggest football club in the world.

OverratedOpinion

Well I guess we should agree to disagree then. For me WW was always your poor man's Dirk Kuyt where Haller always had the potential to be a top striker. It did not always come out but at Ajax and BVB he has shown what potential he has.
Fair enough although I think your description of Weghorst is slanderous! Didn't think I would get into defending Weghorst today so to be clear I don't rate either of them.

Think Kuyt would have loved to have had the type of numbers Weghorst has in a league the level of the Bundesliga.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Fair enough although I think your description of Weghorst is slanderous! Didn't think I would get into defending Weghorst today so to be clear I don't rate either of them.

Think Kuyt would have loved to have had the type of numbers Weghorst has in a league the level of the Bundesliga.
Haha, that's the charm of a football forum. ;)

OverratedOpinion

Good luck!

What a lovely lad.

I did have a good natured giggle when he started listing his highlights and said "scoring my first goal at Old Trafford" then there was a little awkward silence.

OverratedOpinion

He tried so hard, credit for that, if most of our big signings tried half as hard as him he e would be in a different place
Give me someone with say Angel Di Maria's level of talent who wants to be here and try as hard as he did and he'll instantly be my favourite player.

Actually come to think of it, I just described Bruno.

Seveneric

Praising an incompetent player getting paid (relatively) well for looking “happy to be here” while being useless is peak deluded fanboy behaviour.

Eric_the_Red99

All the best to him. To be honest, I have no strong feelings about him either way. He clearly wasn't good enough and shouldn't have played anywhere near as many games as he did for us. But that's on ETH and the club, not him.

I don't think we would have been any worse off if we'd used Joe Hugill as emergency cover for a few matches last season instead of bringing in Weghorst.

RVN1991

Haller is easily the better player stop it Weghorst is shit.

TheRedHearted

Give me someone with say Angel Di Maria's level of talent who wants to be here and try as hard as he did and he'll instantly be my favourite player.

Actually come to think of it, I just described Bruno.
The thing is with di Maria he had second most assists in the league… give him another year and he would have even been better

Woodzy

He was very useful despite the lack of goals at the start. I feel like as soon as the pressure ramped up for being a centre forward that couldn’t score, almost every other aspect of his game fell of a cliff too,

Jam

The thing is with di Maria he had second most assists in the league… give him another year and he would have even been better
And that was only really playing for 2-3 months before he decided to just stop.

Robbie Boy

Seems like a really genuine bloke and he gave it as all while he was here, but ultimately he wasn't good enough. Best of luck to him.

OverratedOpinion

He was awful, why do caftards have this strange love for him?
I think "love" is overboard.

Players who really do my head in are the ones who have all the talent in the world but they are either too lazy or don't care enough to translate it into success on the pitch.

A player like Weghorst was just not good enough to play for us. That isn't his fault and he tried his absolute bollocks off to make up for it.

I'd say it makes sense that there is a reasonable level of respect and good will towards the bloke.

Robbie Boy

Players who really do my head in are the ones who have all the talent in the world but they are either too lazy or don't care enough to translate it into success on the pitch.

A player like Weghorst was just not good enough to play for us. That isn't his fault and he tried his absolute bollocks off to make up for it.

I'd say it makes sense that there is a reasonable level of respect and good will towards the bloke.
Spot on.

He clearly gave it his all and loved the club. No one is saying he was actually good.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He was awful, why do caftards have this strange love for him?
Why would you have to dislike a player just because they aren't good enough? It's not like Weghorst himself ever claimed otherwise. If anything, I'd rather question why so many people (deeply) dislike players on a personal level whose only 'sin' is really that they're not as good as people would like or the club would need them to be.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Why would you have to dislike a player just because they aren't good enough? It's not like Weghorst himself ever claimed otherwise. If anything, I'd rather question why so many people (deeply) dislike players on a personal level whose only 'sin' is really that they're not as good as people would like or the club would need them to be.
I don't hate him, your words not mine. I don't like him either. He wasn't our player so I don't have to unconditionally support him.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Hard work is the bare minimum, Fred works hard but is loathed on the caf. It's all bullshit.