Wout Weghorst | Wolfsburg...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don't hate him, your words not mine. I don't like him either. He wasn't our player so I don't have to unconditionally support him.
I didn't say you specifically dislike players. I meant that I would rather question why some have a personal dislike of players purely based on performances, than questioning why some like Weghorst even though he was poor for United. (Just 'like'; I don't see any love or unconditional support here, just appreciation of his efforts and personality, and hence well-wishes for his future.)

Marcelinho87

Working hard is the bare minimum, says a lot about the caf's ever changing low standards.
Not really, we've had so called superstars who didn't give anything.

It's not hard to like someone and thank them for their efforts, standards don't need to come into it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well no the thing I was debating that up to this point it is strange to act like Haller has gone clear of Weghorst as a player.

If Haller goes onto score 250 goals next season with each one being a bicycle kick from half way I'd still be right as my point is about it being premature right now.

What's the point of judging players without watching them? It looks like "I looked up stats on Wikipedia, I'm really smart that way!"

OverratedOpinion

What's the point of judging players without watching them? It looks like "I looked up stats on Wikipedia, I'm really smart that way!"
You've misunderstood the point I was making.

The point is that someone was acting as though Haller has already dramatically surpassed Weghorst when actually their careers upto this point have had a similar amount of success in the same leagues.

I'm referring to making that judgement right now. As such even if Haller turns into prime Van Basten from this point forward it holds no bearing on the point I was making.

I've watched Haller and Weghorst play a good amount of full matches.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
nice guy and gave everything but hasn’t got the right level and standards to play for this club. Wish him well.

stevoc

It's been explained. It's somewhat romantic, and it's mainly driven by the fact he didn't really stop us reaching our attainable objectives last year.
Though we have to wonder how the season would have gone if we'd had a striker from January who could actually score goals.

stevoc

I didn't say you specifically dislike players. I meant that I would rather question why some have a personal dislike of players purely based on performances, than questioning why some like Weghorst even though he was poor for United. (Just 'like'; I don't see any love or unconditional support here, just appreciation of his efforts and personality, and hence well-wishes for his future.)
How else would someone decide whether or not they like or dislike a player?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You've misunderstood the point I was making.

The point is that someone was acting as though Haller has already dramatically surpassed Weghorst when actually their careers upto this point have had a similar amount of success in the same leagues.

I'm referring to making that judgement right now. As such even if Haller turns into prime Van Basten from this point forward it holds no bearing on the point I was making.

I've watched Haller and Weghorst play a good amount of full matches.
I don't think I've misunderstood your post. I just think it's an offensively ignorant point to make. And I don't even know what it's supposed to be based on.

Stats ((G+A-PK)/90):
Bundesliga: Haller 0.69, Weghorst 0.59
Eredivisie: Haller 0.67, Weghorst 0.54
PL: Haller 0.31, Weghorst, 0.24
CL: Haller 1.20, Weghorst 0.00
EL: Haller 0.58, Weghorst 0.29

Five competitions they both played in, in every one Haller outperformed Weghorst. Haller got to play for bigger clubs, despite Weghorst being far from outpriced of a move in all those years, he won more titles, he fetched the bigger fees and he got the much higher evaluations from the halfwits of transfermarkt, his lifetime rating on whoscored is 7.37, to Weghorsts 6.99. Some of these metrics are jokes, but he's better in all of them. Not to mention if you actually were to watch players before you convince yourself you can compare them, you would have seen that Haller did so much more than just put out G/A, because his movement opened up the game for everyone around him - at least at Frankfurt and Dortmund.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How else would someone decide whether or not they like or dislike a player?
Sorry, I phrased that the wrong way round. I meant that some people really seem to dislike players on a personal level just because of their performances - as if being a not-good-enough player makes someone an dick. But of course, it makes sense to dislike players on a football level if you don't like their style or contribution or anything else in their football.

Last edited:

Plastic Evra

Is that right? More than half our fanbase seems to hate Fred, you can apply the same things for him.
Wout was on a cheap loan, only for 6 months and it was basically him or having nobody at the position. Probably helped in no bitterness developing.

I don't think people should hate Fred anyway.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Though we have to wonder how the season would have gone if we'd had a striker from January who could actually score goals.
I mean yeah of course I think we all realise that it was a massive issue for us last year, but that just didn't happen and despite that, it was an ok season overall (probably could've done better in Europa and it still stings we didn't stop the plastics from achieving the trebble).

Marcelinho87

Is that right? More than half our fanbase seems to hate Fred, you can apply the same things for him.
More than half or just more than half of the whinebags on the caf? Huge difference as this place is a cesspit full of moaners and groaners.

It's no better than Twitter here for it's ever changing stance and constant moaning.

Fred plays well and all the "Pastor Fred" shite comes out.

OverratedOpinion

This is the second time this has been brought up.

Go and have a moan at the ones hating Fred, don't come and complain about the people actually supporting players who gave their best. You're doing this the wrong way around.

garelo

He was hopeless, probably the worst united striker i've ever seen in my 20 years supporting this club. Honestly i thought he'd be as useful as Fellaini considering both were in the same height but nope, he coudn't even head the ball ffs! there were times last season when he was subbed on i knew we have given up scoring.

OverratedOpinion

I don't think I've misunderstood your post. I just think it's an offensively ignorant point to make. And I don't even know what it's supposed to be based on.

Stats ((G+A-PK)/90):
Bundesliga: Haller 0.69, Weghorst 0.59
Eredivisie: Haller 0.67, Weghorst 0.54
PL: Haller 0.31, Weghorst, 0.24
CL: Haller 1.20, Weghorst 0.00
EL: Haller 0.58, Weghorst 0.29

Five competitions they both played in, in every one Haller outperformed Weghorst. Haller got to play for bigger clubs, despite Weghorst being far from outpriced of a move in all those years, he won more titles, he fetched the bigger fees and he got the much higher evaluations from the halfwits of transfermarkt, his lifetime rating on whoscored is 7.37, to Weghorsts 6.99. Some of these metrics are jokes, but he's better in all of them. Not to mention if you actually were to watch players before you convince yourself you can compare them, you would have seen that Haller did so much more than just put out G/A, because his movement opened up the game for everyone around him - at least at Frankfurt and Dortmund.
The only places they both have played a significant amount of games they have either both been crap (Prem) or extremely similar goalscoring records (Netherlands and Germany). I have already said Haller had 1 really good group stage in the champions league, if that was the sole reason you looked at him as being drastically better then fine, I just disagree as it was 6 matches.

Haller has also played for better teams that create more chances in those leagues.

Re your last point, you are making it sound as though Weghorst doesn't offer anything outside of goals and assists which actually makes it sound like you are the one who hasn't watched him play.

Anyway they have clearly had similar levels of career, that is not even really a debatable point. I'm sorry that I don't see your teams striker as some world class game changer. He will have plenty of time to prove me wrong and I wish him all the best in doing so.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I feel there is a frustration with Fred because everyone can see his ceiling is much higher, but he just does a lot of shit things which seem to come from a lack of application/concentration. Carl Anka has even coined the Good Fred/Bad Fred phrase. Still doesn't justify any hatred, mind, but I think it's more frustration.

Whereas with Wout, I think everyone could see he is, well... just shit.

stevoc

Sorry, I phrased that the wrong way round. I meant that some people really seem to dislike players on a personal level just because of their performances - as if being a not-good-enough player makes someone an dick. But if course, it makes sense to dislike players on a football level if you don't like their style or contribution or anything else in their football.
Ah right fair enough mate.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was hopeless, probably the worst united striker i've ever seen in my 20 years supporting this club. Honestly i thought he'd be as useful as Fellaini considering both were in the same height but nope, he coudn't even head the ball ffs! there were times last season when he was subbed on i knew we have given up scoring.
Yeah, can’t remember the last time a team brought on a striker who made the team less likely of scoring. What a terrible player at this level. Couldn’t head the ball, seemed to have little to no power in his shots but ran around and cried a couple of times

Plastic Evra

Thread motivated me to look at the official store clearance for a rebated Weghorst shirt (neon green would have been tops, also accidental homage to Wolfsburg !) but no such luck.

DarkXaero

This is the second time this has been brought up.

Go and have a moan at the ones hating Fred, don't come and complain about the people actually supporting players who gave their best. You're doing this the wrong way around.
I'm not accusing anyone specifically, just making a general point. There are players who try hard and still get crap from good portion of the fans.