Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Besiktas will allow him to leave if they can get Aboubakar as a replacement.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's a good plan B striker. A real handful in and around the box and dangerous in the air. He's the perfect foil for likes of Martial n Rashford as he's completely different.

Joao Felix might be a better footballer than him but he's not a number 9 and he also doesn't really give us anything we don't already have.

I can see the logic behind this deal if it happens. It's good to have options upfront depending on the game. Having somebody to throw on to change it up a bit is exactly what great Utd teams of the past had. You can't have 3/4 of the same type of player.

Also when it comes to Felix I'd probably want to see him playing where Bruno is playing which right now seems unlikely given he's the captain.

unplayable

Do they even have a say? He's not their player.
Burnley don't have an option to recall him, so it's up to Besiktas to say yes. We will definitely need to pay them as well as Burnley.

ChorltonReds

Based on budgetary constraints i think Weghorst will be a good signing. Commited, good finisher, good presser, different option/style. He definitely could be the difference between 4th/5th, winning a cup/ not winning. And we desperately need more cover. I'm all for it.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This is nonsense. He insisted on Antony and Martinez - Ajax knew that - and took us to the cleaners hence why we overpaid. I love ETH but I’m getting sick and tired of this notion that everyone above him is incompetent and haven’t supported him. Firstly, they hired an interim to wait until the summer to get the right man when everyone in the media was screaming for Conte and then they hired him over Pochetino - they also absolutely backed him to the hilt in the summer - too much in many ways as the FDJ pursuit went on too long and we had Casemiro simmering all summer - but he insisted. The people at the club deserve some credit.
We overpaid for players considering their transfer value, that is pretty simple. We could have Antony at the start of the window only to come back once the season started which is why they took us to the cleaners. Every single player that we ended up buying insisted on coming to United and we still couldn't bring the price down because our transfer window wasn't properly planned.

Couldn't care less what you are sick and tired of, these are simple facts. It is nonsense to think this is ideal work environment considering everything around the club. We are skint, let that sink for a moment. If Arnold thinks he has done a good job, he can always go to a pub and explain our future plans in pubic and how much money we have. Only to have nothing 6 months later. Brilliant job and well done on their part.

ThanksBoss26

He's a good plan B striker. A real handful in and around the box and dangerous in the air. He's the perfect foil for likes of Martial n Rashford as he's completely different.

Joao Felix might be a better footballer than him but he's not a number 9 and he also doesn't really give us anything we don't already have.

I can see the logic behind this deal if it happens. It's good to have options upfront depending on the game. Having somebody to throw on to change it up a bit is exactly what great Utd teams of the past had. You can't have 3/4 of the same type of player.

Also when it comes to Felix I'd probably want to see him playing where Bruno is playing which right now seems unlikely given he's the captain.
This.

Okey

Besiktas will allow him to leave if they can get Aboubakar as a replacement.
Can't see what would stop them getting Aboubakar. He's a free agent now. Unless he has better options I guess.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We overpaid for players considering their transfer value, that is pretty simple. We could have Antony at the start of the window only to come back once the season started which is why they took us to the cleaners. Every single player that we ended up buying insisted on coming to United and we still couldn't bring the price down because our transfer window wasn't properly planned.

Couldn't care less what you are sick and tired of, these are simple facts. It is nonsense to think this is ideal work environment considering everything around the club. We are skint, let that sink for a moment. If Arnold thinks he has done a good job, he can always go to a pub and explain our future plans in pubic and how much money we have. Only to have nothing 6 months later. Brilliant job and well done on their part.
Ah yes. The Goldbridge bollocks that Antony was available at half the price earlier in the summer that’s been debunked by VDS himself who has said it was never the plan to sell him this season and that fee was what it was always going to take. It’s all so simple in make believe land isn’t it? In the real world Ajax knew we were going to back ETH to the hilt and knew we’d eventually pay up.

And I have not got a scooby what the second paragraph is about. Oddly enough there isn’t an unlimited budget. So yes - spending 220m in the summer means we have less to spend in January and are “skint” - who knew clubs have budgets. So we shouldn’t have bought the players ETH did in the summer because now we can’t spend in January? Again - what a wonderful simple world this is - so which player shouldn’t we have signed in the summer and what top striker are we now signing in January instead using that money?

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
No thanks.

Would rather give Hugill or McNeill a chance if it came to it.
They will probably still get a chance. Martial loses either fitness or form after a few weeks anyway.

Wout gives us experienced cover and more variety in our attack, which is currently what we need. Youngsters can still supplement our attack if needed, but in my view, its expecting too much to be completely reliant upon them.

unplayable

Can't see what would stop them getting Aboubakar. He's a free agent now. Unless he has better options I guess.
Aboubakar is apparently asking for 2,6m€ net. I read that Weghorst currently earns 2,8m€, so this shouldn't be a problem for them.

UpWithRivers

Ah yes. The Goldbridge bollocks that Antony was available at half the price earlier in the summer that’s been debunked by VDS himself who has said it was never the plan to sell him this season and that fee was what it was always going to take. It’s all so simple in make believe land isn’t it? In the real world Ajax knew we were going to back ETH to the hilt and knew we’d eventually pay up.

And I have not got a scooby what the second paragraph is about. Oddly enough there isn’t an unlimited budget. So yes - spending 220m in the summer means we have less to spend in January and are “skint” - who knew clubs have budgets. So we shouldn’t have bought the players ETH did in the summer because now we can’t spend in January? Again - what a wonderful simple world this is - so which player shouldn’t we have signed in the summer and what top striker are we now signing in January instead using that money?
You are wasting your time. A lot of fans just believe the Youtube and media narratives.

Erik the Red

Yeah I'm 100% buying that "summer planning" bs after witnessing their masterclass during the last one.
In fairness, last Summer they couldn't plan properly before the end of the season because ETH was focused on winning the Dutch league with Ajax, as he was contractually obliged to do (we would also want him 100% focused on United while he is still employed by us, so shouldn't complain). As it worked out, they brought in good players who improved the team / squad (and if they overpaid its because we are still making it too obvious which players we want and lose any negotiating leverage). Planning now, and potentially agreeing transfers now, would hopefully make this summer's window smoother. We could sign Thuram, Moukoko, etc. on pre-contract agreements already now, to join next season. For now, let's see how things progress with WW, Depay and Felix.

I also think that WW could bring the best out of Antony. Antony likes to cut inside from the right and cross with his left foot for the striker to head home (watch his assists at Ajax). Martial has missed lots of chances like that, many if which WW would score.

Thiagoal

No thanks.

This has to be a wind up or someone that has never watched the U21’s. Hugill and McNeill would really struggle to get a game in League 2 on current ability.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah I'm 100% buying that "summer planning" bs after witnessing their masterclass during the last one.
I mean it was their first summer and there was no Chief Scout, Head of Global recruitment, Ed Woodward..

Ten Hag was new and it was obvious our window wasn’t going to be that smooth.

Since this point we have a new set up and people in post looking at recruitment and analytics. This takes time as @Adnan has posted in detail on. By summer we should start baring the fruits of these changes and we should operate more effectively.

Longlivekeano

We don’t need the best forward in the planet.
We need the best forward able (I) to play in ten hag’S system, (II) willing to play a rotational/back up role, (iii) fits within the wage structure, (Iv) willing to play on a short-term loan with no guarantees of long term future.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I don't believe this. Not going to comment unless it's actually happening.

Drizzle

No thanks.

They're boys and they're not remotely ready. I'm not exactly thrilled by Weghorst, but he's a different world to those lads.

Remember the geese

This has to be a wind up or someone that has never watched the U21’s. Hugill and McNeill would really struggle to get a game in League 2 on current ability.
Fans hear about certain names that are hyped in our academy and assume we have a couple of Marcus Rashford's down there ready to go.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Gives United cover, a plan b, not a massive financial commitment in terms of transfer fee or contract and he can't be any worse than CR7... This is a decent move.

Seveneric

"Simple facts", but the premise in your first paragraph is based on speculation that has been debunked. Trump-esque.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

The second paragraph is about people above ten Hag you want to give credit and who walk around the pub explaining how much money we have only to have zero left few months later.

Antony would always cost a lot, but it is different when you buy him at the start and at end of the window. Have zero knowledge what Goldbridge said because I don't have time for that attention seeking twat. In any case, I have zero problem with bringing Weghorst in this financial situation. But that financial situation is a full responsibility of people above ten Hag which yes, includes even last transfer window where players were bought late and we overpaid. If you think that is because Ten Hag insisted on De Jong, that's even more damning on those above because that simply shouldn't be his call. What is their responsibility in that case? To just negotiate a deal which ten Hag choose and follow his instructions? So, he basically did their job as well.

In any case, there is some leeway in case of Murtough because it was his first transfer window, not so much for any other figure above ten Hag. My point is that I don't envy Ten Hag with everything what's going on and would absolutely hate if people turn on him in case we don't make top 4 claiming well, he had 250 million in the budget and spent it all. Yeah, also a ton of other problems none of which are his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.