Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. StrangeHate

What is his contract situation after 6 months? If he does really well, we may keep him as back up.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's certainly an interesting option, but why are you struggling to raise even a small amount of cash. I have seen FFP mentioned, but haven't you just saved a massive amount on CR7 wages? I've seen the figure of 17 million mentioned a few times.
I think its about the owners not wanting to give up any potential profits from the sale. They just won't see the benefits of any transfers from this point onwards if they are to sell within the next 2-3 months.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What is his contract situation after 6 months? If he does really well, we may keep him as back up.
He has a £ 10 million sale option with his loan to Besiktas. I assume we compensate the Turks and then will be forced to take that same option but probably at a higher fee.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Why would anyone oppose this signing ? He's coming to add depth while we look for a starting ST next season. This is a player who has good mentality, doesnt back down in big ocassion, won't kick up a fuss being benched, pressing monster, good link up play and put some physical presence in our attack. Does everybody here want us only to sign the mbappes and haalands of football ? I mean be realistic these kind of players won't come here as a depth option. Not everyone in the team must be a world class superstar. There are also role players for rotation. Bayern has Choupo Moting as a bench option ffs so its not every team is jam packed with world class players sitting on the bench.

DeeDee7

Im suspect and interested to see how exactly we get this deal done, esspecially justifying to burnley that wewant them to recall him only to nab a short loan at a fair price. i suppose they could see it as Weghorst benefiting from more prem experience for when they inevitably gain promotion?

Otherwise as an outright purchase hes certainly snuck under our nose as a very suitable striker purchase for what we need given our circunstance. We cannot afford a super star transfer fee or wages, esspecially as a january target.
Wout ticks alot of boxes for what we simply require. Hes a very good finisher and mover in the 18yard box. He offers a different aerial threat. For a big man he is a great presser with good work rate.
What others probably overlook is as a squad thats generaly speaking doing well, showing unity, and playing well, Wout seems to compliment that by fitting in seemlesly with the squad, he seems like a level headed mature player, that knows english, tactically astute, a player willing to follow coaches orders and do his role as another piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

Sure to really excell, play unbeatable city like football, and be better then anyone else we (manchester united) could do with a superstar, but a player like Wout, on paper anyway, gives us what we need as a team to improve our squad, achieve our gameplan, score more goals, add depth and simply win more matches. Its a salary we can affort and a fee that wont hurt.

Id take him on a 2 1/2 year permanent deal or a loan to buy if given the chance.

OmarUnited4ever

Watching his YT clips and analysis videos plus all the articles popping about him, it is surprising teams like Everton, or Leeds or Leicester didn't go for him a year ago or in the summer of 2021, and Burnley had a free run at him for 12M.

On his loan with us for 6 months, if it is a simple loan, with no obligations and just to be a cover for ST position and a different option, I am not against it if Ten Hag sees it that way, but I think he is not good enough, just as Ighalo wasn't good enough.

kthanksbye

Can't say I've watched him closely or a lot, but I do remember watching him play, think he's going to struggle, hope I'm wrong but I don't think he's the right fit for us, looks worryingly slow, needs a lot of space and time to get a shot away which he won't get at united.
Hope he can score some header s at least.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No question. Realistically, the list of available guys is something like this:

-Weghorst, Memphis, Moussa Dembele, a few other disgruntled strikers being hawked around by their agents,
-Maybe 4 or 5 backup strikers from teams in mid-table purgatory around Europe who might take a loan fee on January 30th for their backup striker and just promote a youngster if they're a solid 12 points (take Clermont in ligue 1, they're 9 points out of Europe and 11 from relegation. If those gaps got to say 13 and 15 by the end of the month, they'd have to think about taking a few million for their backup 9)
-Just every 3rd choice striker around

In terms of Ten Hag's thinking, this may really only tell us that Memphis isn't totally fit and he doesn't have some weird thing for Moussa Dembele.
Are they? Would Lyon allow Dembele to join United on a cheap 5 month loan deal with no obligation to buy? Would Memphis buy his own contract from Barca to find himself a free agent in June? The terms we're in are ridiculously restrictive and unattractive. It rules out the likes of Felix and Morata (A Madrid would ask for a big signing on fee and might want to put an obligation to buy fee as well) and the players heading towards the end of their contract category (Depay, Thuram etc). These terms would probably satisfy players who are already free agents (Rondon, Dzyuba etc), players who had either burnt bridges with their club or are on a transfer list (but who still has a long contract left) and possibly young talent in the mould to our Hannibal and Mcneill

In such terms Weghorst is a coup. He's a Dutch international who had scored regularly in Germany and Holland and had scored two goals against the WC champions. Sure he failed in the EPL but that's hardly a tragedy. When the Serie A was in its prime, there were many players who failed to impress including some very special talent (ex Ian Rush and Denis Bergkamp). Once again we should focus on what this deal is all about. We're also talking here about a cheap 5 month loan deal with no obligation to buy. Its not as if we're spending 80m on a big lump (I am not referring to Weghorst here)

However let's not start talking about ETH's 'style of player'. We'll know about that once (and if) the new owners come in and ETH is given ample money to spend. He might go for a Harry Kane/Dusan Vlahovic or a Joao Felix or a Moukoko/Thuram. If you ask me to speculate then I think the former is more likely.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
A player I called out on this forum for us to sign whilst he was at Wolfsburg. Simply the wrong fit for Dyche's Burnley so it's not a mystery to see him back among the goals for both Holland and in Turkey. Still highly rated in the dutch setup so even at 30 a good loan option.

romufc

Why would anyone oppose this signing ? He's coming to add depth while we look for a starting ST next season. This is a player who has good mentality, doesnt back down in big ocassion, won't kick up a fuss being benched, pressing monster, good link up play and put some physical presence in our attack. Does everybody here want us only to sign the mbappes and haalands of football ? I mean be realistic these kind of players won't come here as a depth option. Not everyone in the team must be a world class superstar. There are also role players for rotation. Bayern has Choupo Moting as a bench option ffs so its not every team is jam packed with world class players sitting on the bench.
I dont think many oppose to this signing. It will give us a different dimension which we clearly need. Luckily, we have not been in a position where we need someone of the bench to make the difference in the last few games.

Martial cannot play 90 mins every game, so we need someone for 20 minutes to bring on or start home PL or cup games.

The one thing that really has me saying, get this deal done is his off the ball work, I have seen talk of him being a very good pressing player, top class mentality. This is what we need, someone who will give us intensity.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Apparently there is no recall clause in the loan contract so he can’t leave Besiktas without their agreement.
And they have an option to buy the player for €10m.

crossy1686

career ending
Watching his YT clips and analysis videos plus all the articles popping about him, it is surprising teams like Everton, or Leeds or Leicester didn't go for him a year ago or in the summer of 2021, and Burnley had a free run at him for 12M.

On his loan with us for 6 months, if it is a simple loan, with no obligations and just to be a cover for ST position and a different option, I am not against it if Ten Hag sees it that way, but I think he is not good enough, just as Ighalo wasn't good enough.
Because he's openly a covidiot, he liked an image saying:
“Imagine a vaccine so safe you have to be threaten to take it -- for a disease so deadly you have to be tested to know you have it.”
Then he commented on it, saying:
“THIS!!! People inform yourself,”
Then kept digging after backlash:
“I know many people who have been infected with the coronavirus, and therefore I know exactly what its effects are and how dangerous it can be,” Weghorst wrote. “I merely wanted to point out that with this issue, as with all others in general, you should educate yourself as much as possible and listen to as many different opinions as possible.”
Then he had to apologise and then he also got covid after refusing to get vaccinated.

And that my friends is how you completely ruin any interest from big teams.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The plot thickens!
Totally normal for them to be compensated in such a deal. You can’t just take a player back who you’ve agreed to let stay for a full season without giving them something in return. Not sure why some are a bit confused by that!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Then he had to apologise and then he also got covid after refusing to get vaccinated.

Eurrgh what is it with these loons going on about researching and educating yourself which is obviously code for watching a youtube video.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
One can only hope that this is our Adebayor phase of the evolution to become serial CL winners in the next decade.

crossy1686

career ending
Eurrgh what is it with these loons going on about researching and educating yourself which is obviously code for watching a youtube video.
Ended up at a meal with a guy who is a famous hockey player and now a trainer for a club, he was saying all the same shit. Yet, they'll take whatever the club tells them to take without even questioning it.

OmarUnited4ever

I see, I guess him not being vaccinated played a role in him not securing a transfer to the PL in summer 2021, and little interest in Winter 2022 apart from Burnley.

Dan_F

I don’t have a big issue with the signing considering the situation Ronaldo left us in. I do have an issue with us not having it ready to go on January 1st. We’ve had the Everton game, Charlton on Tuesday, Palace next week. All games where we could have used a back up striker.

Maybe I’m being harsh as plans changed a lot after the Ronaldo interview, but it feels like a month and a half is plenty of time to get something ready.

Infra-red

Having failed in the Arnautovic bid in the summer, is seems that Ten Hag is determined to get in a massive 6ft4+ shithouse to play upfront.

To be fair, he always liked to have a target man as an option in the Eredivisie (even if he usually preferred a false 9 in Europe).

Newtonius

Well now it sounds like its going to be permanent, which realistically cuts off any chance of a Felix loan as they have to pay both Besiktas and Burnley.

Laurencio

Reading a 20 page scientific report is far too complicated and laborious for most people. Unfortunately even the people we pay to inform us, journalists, avoid doing that. Which leaves a bunch of people trying to "figure it out" on social media. When the media straight up misunderstands and misrepresent basic concepts such as herd immunity, vaccine efficacy and statistics of side effects - it is not that surprising people think these youtube frauds might be onto something.

Luckily we don't pay footballers for medical advice, but to make the team better at football. Him being dumb shouldn't disqualify him from consideration. I'm sure we have contractual clauses that forbid unapproved social media posts.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well now it sounds like its going to be permanent, which realistically cuts off any chance of a Felix loan as they have to pay both Besiktas and Burnley.
So this is a permanent move not a six month loan!?
There’s nothing in that article which suggests this is a permanent move if you read it.

The Turkish source is saying that Besiktas want due compensation if they terminate the loan. The term ‘sale’ could quite easily be lost in translation.

Drizzle

I'm justifying it on the basis that he's a much more effective striker option than Elanga.

So with rotation and inevitable injuries, let's say he gets 12 starts and maybe 10 sub appearances. If he can get us say 4 or 5 goals, 3 or 4 assists and help us close out a few difficult games then that's definitely worth it. Because Elanga ain't doing that.

Big if though.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I fear we don't have the squad depth or ETH has not widened the choices off the bench by not playing a couple more academy kids besides Garnacho and Elanga.

Feels like a house of cards at the moment with the same bunch of players starting most games. There is such a pile of matches and the travel of going up & down between Manchester to the various London-based clubs...

I noticed that Chelsea, during the months of January and Feb has got only one League match (at Liverpool) and the rest are within London and an hour plus away to Southampton.
I agree and echo your concerns, but EtH seems like a man on a mission, and no Ronaldo is gone he has the whole club dancing to his tune. It’s a slim chance, but this could become a special season.

Newtonius

There’s nothing in that article which suggests this is a permanent move if you read it.

The Turkish source is saying that Besiktas want due compensation if they terminate the loan. The term ‘sale’ could quite easily be lost in translation.
I did read it wanted to know what they meant by 'fortune'. It said that it was made clear it would be a sale not a loan, though yeah didn't read the original article but would be surprised if SportWitness had mistranslated it taking foreign articles and putting them in English is their entire job description.

TheReligion

Abusive
I did read it wanted to know what they meant by 'fortune'. It said that it was made clear it would be a sale not a loan, would also be surprised if SportWitness had mistranslated it as well taking foreign articles and putting them in English is their entire job description.
I’m not sure how a Turkish source, or Besiktas, would have any knowledge or input on a potential sale between United and Burnley?

There’s no quotes or sources revealed. Just they want money for letting this happen.

I certainly don’t see anything to suggest this will be a permanent January transfer. A loan with option perhaps.

NoPace

Are they? Would Lyon allow Dembele to join United on a cheap 5 month loan deal with no obligation to buy? Would Memphis buy his own contract from Barca to find himself a free agent in June? The terms we're in are ridiculously restrictive and unattractive. It rules out the likes of Felix and Morata (A Madrid would ask for a big signing on fee and might want to put an obligation to buy fee as well) and the players heading towards the end of their contract category (Depay, Thuram etc). These terms would probably satisfy players who are already free agents (Rondon, Dzyuba etc), players who had either burnt bridges with their club or are on a transfer list (but who still has a long contract left) and possibly young talent in the mould to our Hannibal and Mcneill

In such terms Weghorst is a coup. He's a Dutch international who had scored regularly in Germany and Holland and had scored two goals against the WC champions. Sure he failed in the EPL but that's hardly a tragedy. When the Serie A was in its prime, there were many players who failed to impress including some very special talent (ex Ian Rush and Denis Bergkamp). Once again we should focus on what this deal is all about. We're also talking here about a cheap 5 month loan deal with no obligation to buy. Its not as if we're spending 80m on a big lump (I am not referring to Weghorst here)

However let's not start talking about ETH's 'style of player'. We'll know about that once (and if) the new owners come in and ETH is given ample money to spend. He might go for a Harry Kane/Dusan Vlahovic or a Joao Felix or a Moukoko/Thuram. If you ask me to speculate then I think the former is more likely.
Probably not a big difference between what Lyon want for 5 months of Dembele vs what Besiktas and Burnley want for 5 months of Weghorst. Barca probably wants an extra few mil for Memphis though, would be my guess.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Can't say I've watched him closely or a lot, but I do remember watching him play, think he's going to struggle, hope I'm wrong but I don't think he's the right fit for us, looks worryingly slow, needs a lot of space and time to get a shot away which he won't get at united.
Hope he can score some header s at least.
Your opinion is based on not watching him closely or a lot? Yet you utterly slate him.

Ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.