WSL 21/22 | United v Reading - Fri 3 Sept 7:45pm | Live on Sky One/Showcase

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Have played okay so far. I don't like Toone as a False 9, but think Russo is on limited minutes for a bit as she works up to full fitness.

Blundell has looked very good tbh, very much like Batlle so we've almost got 2 of them now which is good.

Midfield looks better than the end of last season.

Dudu

Oof. Did that go over the line?

Lucky if so :D

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Bloody good football that and a great goal to cap it off, well done United Ladies

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
I'd imagine the WSL isn't at a point in time to afford its implementation and the grounds aren't suitable as well.

Cracking strike from Batlle
It's surprising that they have Goal Line tech and VAR for the Olympics and World Cup but can't bring it to the WSL

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
I'd imagine the WSL isn't at a point in time to afford its implementation and the grounds aren't suitable as well.

Cracking strike from Batlle
Does that mean, in the interest of fairness that they won’t implement if a match is at a stadia that can implement it?
For example, arsenal v Chelsea on Sunday is being played at Ashburton Grove which obviously can use that technology and already has it but does it mean that it won’t be used for these one off matches being held at the men’s stadium?

cj_sparky

Does that mean, in the interest of fairness that they won’t implement if a match is at a stadia that can implement it?
For example, arsenal v Chelsea on Sunday is being played at Ashburton Grove which obviously can use that technology and already has it but does it mean that it won’t be used for these one off matches being held at the men’s stadium?
I'd imagine Hawkeye's contract is with the Premier League.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Yep. I like our fullbacks. Knew Batlle was good, but impressed with Blundell.
Yep with Blundell. I was unconvinced with the signing, I'd wanted a forward from Chelsea in exchange for LJ, but actually she's exactly what was needed.

Dudu

Great start that. That too against one of our bogey teams.

Brilliant goals. Impressive debuts and some nice passing and linkup play.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Good start to the season. Impressed with Blundell and liked the look of Thomas when she came on. A couple of scary moments defensively, but overall we were the better team and deserved the win.

Two very good goals, that shot from Batlle deserves a special mention though.

kundalini

Mary Earps - quiet game, one careless pass straight to a Reading player. Got a reasonable punch on a corner.

Hannah Blundell - loved her carrying the ball forward past several Reading players but couldn't quite get the through pass right either time. Also found space inside the penalty area in the first half.

Ona Batlle - she looked so happy after her goal. Brilliant finish right in the top corner. Not a great clearance that led to them hitting the bar. Otherwise fairly good.

Maria Thorisdottir - very good.

Aoife Mannion - impressed me. What a difference it makes to have a CB willing to attempt long crossfield passes, even if they didn't always come off.

Vilde Boe Risa - thought she was a bit negative in the first half. Seemed to pass the ball backwards when she could have started an attack. Did ok.

Katie Zelem - dominated the game. Looked confident. Had a few shots blocked.

Lucy Staniforth - dangerous pass from deep, that led to the big chance for Leah Galton. Some good moments and some poor moments.

Kirsty Hanson - fantastic finish for her goal and also created chance for Martha Thomas late on when Reading were trying to play out from the back. Decent cross but Galton offside. Not much else came off for her.

Leah Galton - a bit disappointing given how talented she is. Wasted big chance in the first half.

Ella Toone - interesting to see her as a false 9. Superb through-ball for Kirsty Hanson's goal, also provided assist for Ona's goal. Struggled at times up against physical defenders. One shot that was saved easily.

Subs:

Martha Thomas - involved a lot. Decent run and shot wide. Poor finish well wide from Kirsty Hanson's cross. Carelessly offside for Alessia's nice through-ball. Worked hard.

Jackie Groenen - shot just wide. Looked good.

Alessia Russo - lovely to see her back on the pitch. Nicely weighted through pass to offside Thomas.

--

We were lucky with the decision when the ball hit the bar and bounced down. Not sure the whole of the ball was over the line but it looked like it probably was. Also Leah Galton might have been offside in the build-up to Ona's goal; again a very tight decision.

Slow start but we looked a good team in the 2nd half. Delighted for Kirsty to get a goal. She could be a big player for us this season; we probably need her to be !

Last edited:

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Mary Earps - quiet game, one careless pass straight to a Reading player

Hannah Blundell - loved her carrying the ball forward past several Reading players but couldn't quite get the through pass right either time. Also found space inside the penalty area in the first half.

Ona Batlle - she looked so happy after her goal. Brilliant finish right in the top corner. Not a great clearance that led to them hitting the bar. Otherwise fairly good.

Maria Thorisdottir - very good

Aoife Mannion - impressed me. What a difference it makes to have a CB willing to attempt long crossfield passes, even if they didn't always come off.

Vilde Boe Risa - thought she was a bit negative in the first half. Did ok.

Katie Zelem - dominated the game. Looked confident. Had a few shots blocked.

Lucy Staniforth - dangerous cross from deep, that led to the big chance for Leah Galton. Some good moments and some poor moments.

Kirsty Hanson - fantastic finish for her goal and also created chance for Martha Thomas late on when Reading were trying to play out from the back. Decent cross but Galton offside. Not much else came off for her.

Leah Galton - a bit disappointing given how talented she is. Wasted big chance in the first half.

Ella Toone - interesting to see her as a false 9. Superb through-ball for Kirsty Hanson's goal, also provided assist for Ona's goal. Struggled at times up against physical defenders.

Subs:

Martha Thomas - involved a lot. Decent run and shot wide. Poor finish well wide from Kirsty Hanson's cross. Carelessly offside for Alessia's nice through-ball. Worked hard.

Jackie Groenen - shot just wide. Looked good.

Alessia Russo - lovely to see her back on the pitch. Nicely weighted through pass to offside Thomas.

--

We were lucky with the decision when the ball hit the bar and bounced down. Not sure the whole of the ball was over the line but it looked like it probably was. Also Leah Galton might have been offside in the build-up to Ona's goal; again a very tight decision.

Slow start but we looked a good team in the 2nd half. Delighted for Kirsty to get a goal. She could be a big player for us this season; we probably need her to be !
Zelem looked so much better than she has for awhile. Much more composed and she seemed much better at retaining possession. I've not seen a performance like that from her for awhile and it was really good to see it against Reading who are very physical.

Grande

Good that Maria Thorisdottir is beginning ti find her feet for us.

Blundell - Mannion - Thorisdotter - Batlle

looks like a promising back four.

Midfield is stacked, so I’m hoping Galton, Hanson, Toone and Thomas get into the groove.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Good start to the season. Impressed with Blundell and liked the look of Thomas when she came on. A couple of scary moments defensively, but overall we were the better team and deserved the win.

Two very good goals, that shot from Batlle deserves a special mention though.
I didnt get to see the game. Do you have any idea as to how this years team compares to last seasons? I got the feeling we lost a few quality players and might have a weaker squad this season. Dont know if thats true but interested to hear your thoughts.