WSL 22/23 | random chat on us and our rivals

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
As the exposure and financial rewards of women’s football continues to grew it is inevitable that win-at-all-cost tactics would creep into it
Yep. And it's also called game management. It's up to the ref to address the time-wasting, not the players. Diving is another thing of course and one I'd prefer not to become a regular thing in women's football.

Lightbringer

As the exposure and financial rewards of women’s football continues to grew it is inevitable that win-at-all-cost tactics would creep into it
Well, its up the FA to prevent this. Berger should have been booked and if not booked she should have been suspended a game. When people go down clearly simulating without contact, just fine, card and suspend them! Obviously should be done on them mens side as well, but that ship has sailed.

Lightbringer

How is the CL draw if we finish 2nd?
Straight to the group stage, which is massive. Since we dont risk facing Real Madrid or Atletico Madrid in the CL knockout round and not make the group stage as City has failed to for 2-3 season in a row.

top1whoisman

Scout
Well, its up the FA to prevent this. Berger should have been booked and if not booked she should have been suspended a game. When people go down clearly simulating without contact, just fine, card and suspend them! Obviously should be done on them mens side as well, but that ship has sailed.
We should start demanding VAR before we expect the refs to spot everything.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Straight to the group stage, which is massive. Since we dont risk facing Real Madrid or Atletico Madrid in the CL knockout round and not make the group stage as City has failed to for 2-3 season in a row.
Thanks for that. What would we need to get 2nd, what are all the scenarios.

Lightbringer

Not much scenarios left. We need 1 point against City or Liverpool and its done. If we lose both Arsenal can overtake us on goal differential if they beat Aston Vill at home in the last game. If Chelsea hammers Arsenal today top 2 is already secured.

top1whoisman

Scout
Both City and Arsenal can get to our current point-tally at best. Arsenal 7 goals and City 17 goals behind us in goal difference. So we need a point from our last two games. Not necessarily even that if Arsenal lose heavily.

DomesticTadpole

Not much scenarios left. We need 1 point against City or Liverpool and its done. If we lose both Arsenal can overtake us on goal differential if they beat Aston Vill at home in the last game. If Chelsea hammers Arsenal today top 2 is already secured.
Thanks again. United and needing one point. It is a recurring theme this season. :lol:

Lightbringer

Arsenal has done well with all their injurys to finish 3rd probably and almost leapfrog us, my hat off!

StretfordEnd78

All eyes on us then.
Chelsea fans singing ‘stand up for the champions’.
Come on you reds.

DomesticTadpole

They know they ain’t losing to Reading. We’ve done immensely well but it’s done.
At the start most would just be hoping for Top 3 and CL football. Now we just have to make sure we get 2nd place. That and getting to a cup final has been a great achievement.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
2-0 win for Chelsea in the end. McCabe had a chance early in the 2nd half to make it tense for Chelsea but she scuffed her penalty wide. Barring a miracle (and it really would be one as Chelsea should score about 7 or 8 against Reading on the final day) it does mean the title race is effectively over, even if we win against City. But on the bright side, it does also mean we’re all but guaranteed 2nd place, which is fantastic for us. Although…

I don’t think it means we go straight into the group stage. Unless the format has changed we’ll still need to qualify for the group stages, but in theory it should be easier than if we finished 3rd - I guess we’ll see if it plays out like that.

I think even Chelsea might have to qualify for the group stage next season. Wolfsburg are 2nd in the league so if they win the CL, it’ll be them, Bayern, Barca and Lyon in the groups, with everyone else needing to qualify.

top1whoisman

Scout
At the start most would just be hoping for Top 3 and CL football. Now we just have to make sure we get 2nd place. That and getting to a cup final has been a great achievement.
Absolutely. We've done really well. To even be fighting for the title until the last couple of rounds if a very good achievement for this team.

top1whoisman

Scout
They have to continue building on it.
That's the worry for me. I have no doubts about the coaching or the mentality of the team. They have a lot of credit going into next season. It's the quality vs our rivals I'm worried about. A huge summer ahead.

DomesticTadpole

That's the worry for me. I have no doubts about the coaching or the mentality of the team. They have a lot of credit going into next season. It's the quality vs our rivals I'm worried about. A huge summer ahead.
Are there any players whose contract are expiring who could be great signings.

top1whoisman

Scout
Plenty probably. Always is in women’s football. Well at least always has been, as the more long-term contracts have not become the norm yet. Building on the current team is tough if we have to start by replacing the two best players :(

Sylar

Congrats to Chelsea, thats been an impressive run of results though most expected.
United were majorly impressive to get it to this stage and with a big run of Victories too

DomesticTadpole

Plenty probably. Always is in women’s football. Well at least always has been, as the more long-term contracts have not become the norm yet. Building on the current team is tough if we have to start by replacing the two best players :(
That is the big issue isn't it. They have to take this seriously. The women's game is getting bigger and bigger and these girl deserve to be paid accordingly. We are past the days when girls had another job to supplement their wages. They are full time professionals and the money they get in comparison to the men is night and day. Nobody is saying they should be getting the same, but they should be getting more than this.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
From what I've seen, we've been strongly linked to Maitane Lopez, who's a DM from Atletico Madrid and is supposedly a top quality player in her position and will be out of contract in the summer. We've also been linked to Esmee Brugts, a highly rated 19 year old attacker who was in the Netherlands squad at the Euros.

DomesticTadpole

From what I've seen, we've been strongly linked to Maitane Lopez, who's a DM from Atletico Madrid and is supposedly a top quality player in her position and will be out of contract in the summer. We've also been linked to Esmee Brugts, a highly rated 19 year old attacker who was in the Netherlands squad at the Euros.
That's good if we are looking further afield than just the WSL. Pity it appears the Chelsea girls Harder and Eriksson are spoken for. They would have transformed us.

top1whoisman

Scout
That's good if we are looking further afield than just the WSL. Pity it appears the Chelsea girls Harder and Eriksson are spoken for. They would have transformed us.
So would Williamson, Putellas, Kerr, Miedema & Kirby. We have to look for those under-the-radar signings as we're not currently in the same league when it comes to fighting for world class players.

top1whoisman

Scout
So we need to beat in-form Liverpool by at least six goals and bottom-of-the-table Reading need to draw wih Chelsea. It’s in the bag :p

croadyman

So we need to beat in-form Liverpool by at least six goals and bottom-of-the-table Reading need to draw wih Chelsea. It’s in the bag :p
Yeah you just know if the roles were reversed Chelsea would fancy their chances

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
As expected it’s one way traffic at Reading. Kerr has already missed a sitter and we’ve just hit the bar.

Sylar

As expected it’s one way traffic at Reading. Kerr has already missed a sitter and we’ve just hit the bar.
Once the first goal goes in, will end up making it easy and probably five or so

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
As I type that. Kerr scores. Reiten with yet another assist.

top1whoisman

Scout
Hope we end the season with a win. We all knew the outcome after the Chelsea vs Arsenal game.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Reading miss a golden chance. Should be 1-1.