WSL 22/23 | random chat on us and our rivals

StretfordEnd78

Challenging for the title and a cup final folks…….great season. Chelsea play midweek so I’m hoping our energy levels are higher on Sunday

padr81

Supports
Man City
Whatever happens here congrats to United, to crack the top 3 in such a short time is no mean feat. Our complacency and refusal to get rid of the worst manager in football history (right down to Sunday League) has seen City get what they deserve at this level. An amazing generation of players ruined by an idiot.

croadyman

Whatever happens here congrats to United, to crack the top 3 in such a short time is no mean feat. Our complacency and refusal to get rid of the worst manager in football history (right down to Sunday League) has seen City get what they deserve at this level. An amazing generation of players ruined by an idiot.
Cheers but still fear you will beat us

padr81

Supports
Man City
Cheers but still fear you will beat us
You'll still make top 3 though unless its 9-0 or something which is a great achievment but I don't see us beating you. We bottled a dominant first half against Arsenal that would have built a bit of confidence. If we were at home I'd give us a chance, I think you'll take us comfortably 2-0 or 3-1 at your place. We're terrible tactically, its like Taylor shows them videos of the mens team and says "Do that, but badly."

croadyman

You'll still make top 3 though unless its 9-0 or something which is a great achievment but I don't see us beating you. We bottled a dominant first half against Arsenal that would have built a bit of confidence. If we were at home I'd give us a chance, I think you'll take us comfortably 2-0 or 3-1 at your place. We're terrible tactically, its like Taylor shows them videos of the mens team and says "Do that, but badly."
We will see but this City hoodoo is still a real thing with this team. Do you think Arsenal could do us a favour IF we can do the job against yourselves.

padr81

Supports
Man City
We will see but this City hoodoo is still a real thing with this team. Do you think Arsenal could do us a favour IF we can do the job against yourselves.
They could but it'll be hard for them away given how strong Chelsea are at home. That said if Kerr's injury is long term along with Kirby, Arsenal could do it.

ForeverRed1

True,what other positions do we need to sort
I feel like we’re missing them superstar signings that you see the likes of Chelsea or city make. Now we got CL football next season it will be interesting to see if we go out there and spend bigger money on players, we haven’t done that yet. Cherry on top kind of players.

Rachel daly would be a good place to start plus keeping ona and Russo

croadyman

I feel like we’re missing them superstar signings that you see the likes of Chelsea or city make. Now we got CL football next season it will be interesting to see if we go out there and spend bigger money on players, we haven’t done that yet. Cherry on top kind of players.

Rachel daly would be a good place to start plus keeping ona and Russo
Yeah absolutely have to keep them,so if we want to guarantee Champions League then need to finish in top 2. Have you got any superstar signings that you feel we are capable of making this summer out of interest

ForeverRed1

Yeah absolutely have to keep them,so if we want to guarantee Champions League then need to finish in top 2. Have you got any superstar signings that you feel we are capable of making this summer out of interest
What about Lena oberdorf from Wolfsburg. She would probably cost a few quid and take some persuasion to join but the profile I’m talking

RizTalks

What about Lena oberdorf from Wolfsburg. She would probably cost a few quid and take some persuasion to join but the profile I’m talking
Oberdorf is still a tier above the signings we can make right now, unfortunately. The only way she's leaving is if there's an offer from Barca or a blank cheque from Emma Hayes.

ForeverRed1

Oberdorf is still a tier above the signings we can make right now, unfortunately. The only way she's leaving is if there's an offer from Barca or a blank cheque from Emma Hayes.
This is what we were saying. I said I’d like to see us make a statement signing. if we make champions league, get bought out and challenge on all fronts, why can’t we go all out for big names? Show we’re serious. She would raise us.

croadyman

This is what we were saying. I said I’d like to see us make a statement signing. if we make champions league, get bought out and challenge on all fronts, why can’t we go all out for big names? Show we’re serious. She would raise us.
Yeah getting bought out could open the door to sign that level of player

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I'm not sure we need a statement signing. We've done very well doing our own thing and most of our signings have been successful ones. I like how we've done our business without a huge fuss and targeted players who fit to how we want to play. As we're currently not willing to go nowhere near to what our competitors are offering in wages I also can't see that happening. We're not going to break our wage structure for one star player.

We need good players, not necessarily big names in world football.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
We did have two big Americans for us last year and it didn’t really work that well tbh

TMS

I'm not sure we need a statement signing. We've done very well doing our own thing and most of our signings have been successful ones. I like how we've done our business without a huge fuss and targeted players who fit to how we want to play. As we're currently not willing to go nowhere near to what our competitors are offering in wages I also can't see that happening. We're not going to break our wage structure for one star player.

We need good players, not necessarily big names in world football.
Have to say I agree with this, though I don’t think we should exclude ourself from exploring them if the funds become available.

It’s also worth noting we‘re going to have to break our current wage structure anyway to keep our existing stars. Within whatever that new structure is, providing we manage to keep our stars, there will likely be room to entice a star signing or two as well hopefully. If we don’t adjust our budget we will lose players like Earps, Battle and Russo and have to hope we hit it big again with their cheaper replacements. Not too dissimilar to Leicester in the men’s game, this is our fairytale season before losing our versions of Mahrez & Kante etc. and look where Leicester are now. You can’t keep signing gems, eventually the luck runs out If you don’t pay up.

top1whoisman

Scout
Have to say I agree with this, though I don’t think we should exclude ourself from exploring them if the funds become available.

It’s also worth noting we‘re going to have to break our current wage structure anyway to keep our existing stars. Within whatever that new structure is, providing we manage to keep our stars, there will likely be room to entice a star signing or two as well hopefully. If we don’t adjust our budget we will lose players like Earps, Battle and Russo and have to hope we hit it big again with their cheaper replacements. Not too dissimilar to Leicester in the men’s game, this is our fairytale season before losing our versions of Mahrez & Kante etc. and look where Leicester are now. You can’t keep signing gems, eventually the luck runs out If you don’t pay up.
Unfortunately you’re spot on and we’ll see the result of that once the season is over.

ForeverRed1

Yeah getting bought out could open the door to sign that level of player
I don’t see why we can’t. We can afford it.

Exactly this. If we’re going to compete with the barcas and wolfsburgs or the world you got to be competitive. We’re a good team, not a great one.

Sylar

Okso Chelsea gonna smash Leicester and go a point behind as expected.
They have three in a week with the FA cup against united.

Unfortunately they play west ham ...

StretfordEnd78

Chelsea cruising against Leicester. Sam Kerr on the bench. Seems sensible. Arsenal cruising a
so.
Reflecting on results - games like Everton (H) can easily happen but we should have got a least a point at Chelsea. Two clear penalties not given in my opinion.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
All Chelsea need is three more goals and they're level on GD, with a game in hand. They're probably going to get those three before HT. So instead of hoping that Arsenal would get something from them, it looks like we'll need Arsenal to beat them for us to have a chance at the title.

croadyman

Okso Chelsea gonna smash Leicester and go a point behind as expected.
They have three in a week with the FA cup against united.

Unfortunately they play west ham ...
That Liverpool game has fired them up to get in front of us on GD as well

Sylar

My hope is arsenal are also winning and will think they have a chance if they beat Chelsea and with united playing city

RedRocket9908

Chelsea have now scored 12 goals without reply in tbe space of 4 days to destroy the massive GD advantage we had over them, our goal difference is now only 1 better than their's.

Sylar

Chelsea have now scored 12 goals without reply in tbe space of 4 days to destroy the massive GD advantage we had over them, our goal difference is now only 1 better than their's.
Make that 13 goals and same GD and they have a game in hand. Damn

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
13 now. We went through a period where we really struggled for form but the last couple of games they’ve found their deadly mojo again. Harder coming back from injury has made a huge difference.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The Football Writers Association has given Women's Player of the Year award to Sam Kerr, which will surprise a lot of people who watch women's club football :smirk: Cracking player of course and this is her second consecutive win but she hasn't really been the standout player at Chelsea this season never mind across the whole League.

Rachel Daly was probably the most obvious candidate. Top scorer in WSL despite not playing for a top four team - she really has been a gamechanger for Villa this season. Daly came second and Lauren James came third. Some of the other contenders - United's Ona Batlle, City's Khadija Shaw, Chelsea's Guro Reiten for example - have all had excellent seasons.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The Football Writers Association has given Women's Player of the Year award to Sam Kerr, which will surprise a lot of people who watch women's club football :smirk: Cracking player of course and this is her second consecutive win but she hasn't really been the standout player at Chelsea this season never mind across the whole League.

Rachel Daly was probably the most obvious candidate. Top scorer in WSL despite not playing for a top four team - she really has been a gamechanger for Villa this season. Some of the other contenders - United's Ona Batlle, City's Khadija Shaw, Chelsea's Guro Reiten for example - have all had excellent seasons.
I usually say goals gets you to the front of the line sometimes, even if you hadn't performed the best but Kerr isn't even that. She has less goals and less assists than both Daly and Shaw. And at Chelsea I would say Reiten has been our standout performer.

Earlier in the season I would have said the Chelsea POTY would be between Reiten and Lauren James but only Reiten has kept producing performances throughout the season. So yes, surprised they've given it to Kerr.

top1whoisman

Scout

Rachel Daly was probably the most obvious candidate. Top scorer in WSL despite not playing for a top four team - she really has been a gamechanger for Villa this season. Daly came second and Lauren James came third. Some of the other contenders - United's Ona Batlle, City's Khadija Shaw, Chelsea's Guro Reiten for example - have all had excellent seasons.
Goes without saying that she’s a great player.

But I agree. What Daly has done at Villa is simply amazing. Don’t know what more Batlle must do to deserve it.

It’s an individual award but it feels a bit weird that no United player is even in the top 3 after finally breaking that long-standing power structure at the top of the league.

James might be the most talented female footballer out there, but especially in 2023 she’s been a bit lazy and lackluster.

TMS

If people don't pay attention enough to be informed in their vote they should leave those categories blank. Makes a mockery of it really when they're just putting down the name they know the most rather than basing it on what they've seen or even read about from the season.

Demon Barber

If people don't pay attention enough to be informed in their vote they should leave those categories blank. Makes a mockery of it really when they're just putting down the name they know the most rather than basing it on what they've seen or even read about from the season.
I am a bit surprised by Kerr getting the vote too - although also not surprised, if that makes sense.

Without wanting to sound biased I think that Batlle and Earps should have been in with a shout, but Daly is my obvious winner. Get her at United!