SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Ireland extended the lockdown until another 3 weeks..
Italy until the 3 May, although somewhat bizarrely bookshops and stationery stores can open from next Tuesday, if you live somewhere that has such a thing. I'm kind of thinking people who want those kind of supplies will have in most cases been buying online.

Deery

Dreary
Italy until the 3 May, although somewhat bizarrely bookshops and stationery stores can open from next Tuesday, if you live somewhere that has such a thing. I'm kind of thinking people who want those kind of supplies will have in most cases been buying online.
That’s strange maybe it’s because so many are working from home and need the stationary?

JMack1234

I don't think I've ever had so many spam/phising e-mails. As I've had this few days.

Anybody else had this problem?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I don't think I've ever had so many spam/phising e-mails. As I've had this few days. Anybody else had this problem?
I haven't even had any post for a week, let alone spam emails.

Deery

Dreary
I don't think I've ever had so many spam/phising e-mails. As I've had this few days.

Anybody else had this problem?
Surprisingly I’ve been getting less, although I got a text message saying I won £1000 from Argos so happy days.

Drawfull

Builders going back to work in Spain on Monday. Sounds crazy to me, but apparently the gov didn't bother asking / getting approval from their advisory panel.

El Gobierno tomó la decisión de reiniciar la actividad laboral sin consultar a su comité de expertos

Shops and cafes are starting to open up again in the less salubrious parts of town here. They all seem to have forgotten what an absolute mess the last month has been and are going back to the traditional rules-are-for-other-people mentality they swear by in this country. :nono:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Matt Hancock: “Because a front door is better than any face mask”

:lol:

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
You're showing your prejudices here. Poor people are not the reason this disease has spread. It's not poor people who are driving to their holiday homes on the coast for the bank holiday weekend, it's not poor people who were cramming the national parks a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't poor people who were popping over to Italy even as reports were coming in about the virus there. This disease has been spread by affluent holidaymakers and business-travellers but less well off people will bear the brunt. Poor people are now in the firing line because they're more likely to work in key industries where social distancing is difficult to maintain, more likely to cohabit with other key workers in accomadation where distancing is impossible and more likely to have extended family who are relying on them for support right now.

Have a word with yourself.
So 1 province in NL had over 50pc of all cases in the Netherlands, Brabant. Why? They had a Carnival there 6 to 8 weeks ago, look it up and look through pictures to see how many wealthy people you can spot amongst the thousands of losers

Good luck

Deery

Dreary
So 1 province in NL had over 50pc of all cases in the Netherlands, Brabant. Why? They had a Carnival there 6 to 8 weeks ago, look it up and look through pictures to see how many wealthy people you can spot amongst the thousands of losers

Good luck
You could say the same for Cheltenham here, and I bet not many poor people were splashing out there.

Dr. StrangeHate

Bang on. The fear is that those putting themselves is harm’s way during this crisis will be shafted once more after it’s all over. I really hope that we’ve hit an inflection point, following which our society changes for the better. I won’t hold my breath though because human beings have consistently shown an ability to learn from seismic events.
In the first, key workers (and their families) putting themselves in harms way will die more compared to the rest of the population. Then they won't get compensated in anyway as there will be a recession. And for the finale, the rich will buy everything up because many things will be cheaper, and the rest of society will fight for even lesser scraps. Society changing for the better isn't even a pipe dream.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Good luck
How long ago was the Cheltenham Festival?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
In the first the people (and their families) putting themselves in harms way will die more compared to the rest of the population. Then they won't get compensated in anyway as there will be a recession. And for the finale, the rich will buy everything up because many things will be cheaper, and the rest of society will fight for even lesser scraps. Society changing for the better isn't even a pipe dream.
This will be sadly accurate.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
980 deaths in the UK today, which is higher than any day Italy experienced (albeit with Italy having a slightly smaller population). That number not including deaths in homes and hospices I believe and still approx. a week away from the expected peak.

Yet the media's coverage of what's going on in the UK seems strangely different to the way Italy was covered.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Hancock basically admits that face masks work, our approach is to ensure the limited supply is saved for healthcare workers.

I agree wholeheartedly with that point but they still need to ramp up production.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
980 deaths in the UK today, which is higher than any day Italy experienced (albeit with Italy having a slightly smaller population). That number not including deaths in homes and hospices I believe and still approx. a week away from the expected peak.

Yet the media's coverage of what's going on in the UK seems strangely different to the way Italy was covered.
They'll be writing that Italy has 20k deaths on Monday.

FireballXL5

Hancock basically admits that face masks work, our approach is to ensure the limited supply is saved for healthcare workers.

I agree wholeheartedly with that point but they still need to ramp up production.
I'm convinced they're still following their 'herd immunity' strategy. They don't seem to be moving heaven and earth to do....well anything actually.
Health workers still without kit is a fecking disgrace.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Good luck
You’re not a very nice person.

The last 3 days have been higher than any day Italy had. Death numbers are wildly inaccurate though, possibly moreso than case numbers.

It was all a novelty and a shock back then, and it was happening to somebody else. This is the new norm, half of Europe is recording hundreds of cases a day and the US is into the thousands and climbing. Media and public perspective has changed.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The last 3 days have been higher than any day Italy had. Death numbers are wildly inaccurate though, possibly moreso than case numbers.

It was all a novelty and a shock back then, and it was happening to somebody else. This is the new norm, half of Europe is recording hundreds of cases a day and the US is into the thousands and climbing. Media and public perspective has changed.
Very fair point.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Number of infections still pretty high and worrying.
I think the drop off is going to be gradual rather than fast, the Chinese data gave the impression that numbers would come tumbling down but I think Italy is showing that it spreads fast and it doesn't go away very fast. The numbers of people getting discharged are at their highest also.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'm convinced they're still following their 'herd immunity' strategy. They don't seem to be moving heaven and earth to do....well anything actually.
Health workers still without kit is a fecking disgrace.
I think you’re right but I also don’t see any other way out of it. We’re too far away from a vaccine. Just watched a BBC horizon programme from last night, pretty interesting actually and herd immunity seems to be the ultimate destination regardless of any measures in place to slow it down.

The government, most other governments are only talking of slowing the spread, not stopping it. The truth as I see it, is it can’t really be stopped at this point. I think most of us are either going to catch it at some point, the requirement is we don’t all catch it at the same time.

But to say the government is doing nothing isn’t quite true, the country is on lockdown unless you haven’t noticed along with 25% of the worlds population according to horizon. It’s the biggest social action I’ve ever seen in my lifetime. It’s easy to bash the government but most countries, whatever government they have, are acting the same and are in the same boat.