WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The Rubiales thing is just plain weird. Yes, everyone's emotional after a big match like that but it was pretty obvious that was neither welcome nor done with permission. I know Hermosa released a statement afterwards saying that she didn't mind, but that just sounded like someone trying not to spoil the party rather than someone who was happy about how he chose to celebrate.

Your boss's boss shouldn't do that to you. Do I think that he's capable of judging criticism of FA culture or coaching team behaviour made by women players?

As Mary Earps would say
There's a video doing the rounds from Spain's dressing room after the game where (I think?) one of her teammates asked her about it and her response in that moment was that she says she didn't like it.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Yuk, how out of touch is this cnut. I'm going to kiss this woman I don't know on the lips live on national television, this is a great idea, she most be so honoured to be kissed by me.
It’s fecking unbelievable.

Almost came across to me as a pathetic, veiled ‘show of power’.

Completely fecking out of order, and weird.

Utter cnut.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Africa and Latin America have never had one so I think either Brazil our South Africa would be a good choice for the overall growth of the game.
I think you are right, at this point in the womens games growth taking it places where the womens game could do with a boost is a good idea.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
And today, after complaints from the Spanish minister of sport amongst others, we get the classic, "I'm sorry if if it bothered other people," non apology from Rubiales.

Pathetic. "We saw it as..." Really?

Hamnat

There's a video doing the rounds from Spain's dressing room after the game where (I think?) one of her teammates asked her about it and her response in that moment was that she says she didn't like it.
I would think the response to this should be pretty universal. You don't just haul off and grab and kiss a co worker or employee on the mouth in any workplace no matter how "excited" you are on the win/achievement. I mean there may be exceptions if you are best friends or you know full well that it's mutual and appreciated.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I would think the response to this should be pretty universal. You don't just haul off and grab and kiss a co worker or employee on the mouth in any workplace no matter how "excited" you are on the win/achievement. I mean there may be exceptions if you are best friends or you know full well that it's mutual and appreciated.
It's grim.

He's their boss's boss. He's responsible for investigating any complaints about coaches or other RFEF officials.

Including those vague things like inappropriate remarks getting dismissed as banter, inappropriate contact as incidental or accidental or innocent. Ultimately he gets to decide what constitutes bullying or harassment and sets the culture for the organisation.

Their ability to make or break a player's career is massive and they don't need any proof to do it. The power imbalance is huge and he's the referee.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Bronze absolutely effed it with that dumb disposession leading to the Spain goal. Oof, would be livid if I was one of her teammates.

Grande

Was a bad mistake by probably Englands best player.
For this tournament, my vote for England’s best player would go to Lauren Hemp or Mary Earps. (To Mary, if I’m honest).

Lucy Bronze is of course a brilliant player over time. Bad luck to be so harshly punished, she didn’t have a good game in general thougj.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
For this tournament, my vote for England’s best player would go to Lauren Hemp or Mary Earps. (To Mary, if I’m honest).

Lucy Bronze is of course a brilliant player over time. Bad luck to be so harshly punished, she didn’t have a good game in general thougj.
Ye I'd go with those 2 shouts - no absolute stand out player though

Bronze is past her best unfortunately, but we shouldn't forget she has a pretty good shout of being the greatest Lioness ever

Real Name

Disguisting behavior by Rubiales but I'm sure many in this place dont see anything wrong with it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Ye I'd go with those 2 shouts - no absolute stand out player though

Bronze is past her best unfortunately, but we shouldn't forget she has a pretty good shout of being the greatest Lioness ever
Agreed. Bronze has been a key player for England and there isn't an obvious replacement for her. She's 31 and she's had a few injuries. That may have been her last tournament. The error itself can happen to any player doing that wingback job, but she really didn't seem to be anticipating that long run back.

Barcelona of course now have Ona :(

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Disguisting behavior by Rubiales but I'm sure many in this place dont see anything wrong with it.
Strange comment seeing as every single post has rightly condemned him

Bit of a shame that Spain win is overshadowed by this and also constant mentions of the previous strike threat, but hopefully it can lead to positive change

Real Name

Bit of a shame that Spain win is overshadowed by this and also constant mentions of the previous strike threat, but hopefully it can lead to positive change
In this thread yes. But there's a certain thread about a certain player who was released from the club in which there are some, many extraordinary takes. So I was just making a connection.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
In this thread yes. But there's a certain thread about a certain player who was released from the club in which there are some, many extraordinary takes. So I was just making a connection.
Thats a big jump to be making - totally different situations

Real Name

Thats a big jump to be making - totally different situations
Not so different in the sense that one who thinks, for example, Greenwood's wife isnt the victim (and its been said) might say there's nothing wrong with Rubiales kissing the Spanish female player on the mouth.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Agreed. Bronze has been a key player for England and there isn't an obvious replacement for her. She's 31 and she's had a few injuries. That may have been her last tournament. The error itself can happen to any player doing that wingback job, but she really didn't seem to be anticipating that long run back.

Barcelona of course now have Ona :(
The entire defence of Daly, Bright, Greenwood, Bronze are unlikely to be playing by the next WWC - they might still be going for a Euros defence though

Maya Le Tissier will surely take one of these spots though

Midfield and forward line is much younger so should improve by next couple of tournaments

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Not so different in the sense that one who thinks, for example, Greenwood's wife isnt the victim (and its been said) might say there's nothing wrong with Rubiales kissing the Spanish female player on the mouth.
Don't want to take this thread off topic but I don't agree and don't think it's helpful to compare such different situations when literally no one has come here to defend Rubiales

If someone does then feel free to jump on it

Real Name

Don't want to take this thread off topic but I don't agree and don't think it's helpful to compare such different situations when literally no one has come here to defend Rubiales

If someone does then feel free to jump on it
Lets agree to disagree then.

Lightbringer

I actually did not watch the ceremony live but I re-watched it now and paused for each player and re-winded to study it closer here is what I gathered:

I did not find any disgusting behavior whatsoever.

1. Every spain player looked totally comfortable with their celebration with Rubiales. There was no one with a body language that shown they were alarmed or disturbed.

2. Rubiales cheek kissed Lucy Bronze as well as an indicator he has some kind of relation to her with her being in Spain.

3. Rubiales also kissed the spanish male coach and embraced him in the same way as all the female players.

4. The people/women standing before Rubiales also cheek kissed most of the players and interacted with them in a similar manner.

5. The only thing I found out the ordinary was the kissing of Hermoso and even that I found to be pretty innocent. You can see Rubiales pull away from Hermoso and being all wild and riled up with joy and then giving her that quick kiss on the mouth. (I dont know how well they know each other, just that both of them said they have great relationship)

Overall: From the outrage I expected Rubiales to act like a proper clown and really being inappropriate. After seeing the entire footage and the context I conclude this was nothing but but a spider fart that people made out to be much of a bigger deal than what it was.

Footnote: If you want to connect the drama in the spanish team to the kiss on the mouth on Hermoso, yes, that could make sense I guess. But other than that I dont see anything alarming and think its been way way overblown. The other girls all looks happy to see him including Hermoso!

---
Final note: I think he could have avoided the kiss with Hermoso, but reviewing the footage I agree it was spontaneous outburst in celebration and I would have to know how well they know each other to think this was much to be upset about. I have no previous opinion or knowledge of Rubiales so I am only judging him for his actions during he ceremony, nothing else.

Last edited:

Real Name

I actually did not watch the ceremony live but I re-watched it now and paused for each player and re-winded to study it closer here is what I gathered:

1. Every spain player looked totally comfortable with their celebration with Rubiales. There was no one with a body language that shown they were alarmed or disturbed.

2. Rubiales cheek kissed Lucy Bronze as well as an indicator he has some kind of relation to her with her being in Spain.

3. Rubiales also kissed the spanish male coach and embraced him in the same way as all the female players.

4. The people standing before Rubiales also cheek kissed most of the players.

5. The only thing I found out the ordinary was the kissing of Hermoso and even that I found to be pretty innocent. You can see Rubiales pull away from Hermoso and being all wild and riled up with joy and then giving her that quick kiss on the mouth. (I dont know how well they know each other, just that both of them said they have great relationship)

Overall: From the outrage I expected Rubiales to act like a proper clown and really being silly. After seeing the entire footage and the context I conclude this was nothing but but a spider fart.

Footnote: If you want to connect the drama in the spanish team to the kiss on the mouth on Hermoso, yes, that could make sense I guess. But other than that I dont see anything alarming and think its been way way overblown.
Thank you for just proving my point. :)

Lightbringer

Thank you for just proving my point. :)
You did not make any point so it would be impossible for me to prove a point you never made. You just came in the thread and claimed that Rubiales behaved in a disgusting manner. So you did not make any points or even tried to the make any points, you just left a one line opinion without giving any explanation as to why it was disgusting.

I am pretty sure if there was not previous dirt on Rubiales or the coach (who I also dont support or care about) this would have been a total none issue.

Its a great shame it stole some of the headlines, which of course is what the media is there for, to blow things out of proportion.

And this is coming from someone has fought sexism and males looking down on womens football for 5+ years. But I like to call things like it is and not overreact on a single instance with bias from other events.

I will save my CRY WOLF for when something remotely sinister happens.

Last edited:

rooneyberbatov

Earps has been stellar but in my opinion Greenwood has been magnificent. She has adopted to that position so quickly and has been reading the game brilliantly.

Reactions: Rood

Grande

Earps has been stellar but in my opinion Greenwood has been magnificent. She has adopted to that position so quickly and has been reading the game brilliantly.
Yea, she’s been good. I still feel klnda bitter that she left Casey’s project so early and then chose Man City upon returning. Guess it shouldn’t be surprising as she came to us from Liverpool.

Real Name

You did not make any point so it would be impossible for me to prove a point you never made. You just came in the thread and claimed that Rubiales behaved in a disgusting manner. So you did not make any points or even tried to the make any points, you just left a one line opinion without giving any explanation as to why it was disgusting.

I am pretty sure if there was not previous dirt on Rubiales or the coach (who I also dont support or care about) this would have been a total none issue.

Its a great shame it stole some of the headlines, which of course is what the media is there for, to blow things out of proportion.

And this is coming from someone has fought sexism and males looking down on womens football for 5+ years. But I like to call things like it is and not overreact on a single instance with bias from other events.

So according to you its not disguisting for instance if a boss at some job goes around and kisses his female colleagues on the mouth?

Where's the margin. Hell, one day its a kiss the other its a friendly slap on the backside, the third its a short massage.

Its just spontaneous if the guy feels happy and cheerful or they're celebrating something at work.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
I've seen just now that he even grabbed his dick during celebration. What a disgusting cnut.

Eric_the_Red99

Yea, she’s been good. I still feel klnda bitter that she left Casey’s project so early and then chose Man City upon returning. Guess it shouldn’t be surprising as she came to us from Liverpool.
It was understandable a few years ago that top players saw their future away from United. But it’s disappointing that this still seems to be the case, even after the rapid progress we’ve made.

I feel that holding onto Earps after this season will be the big test as to whether things have changed now. (I don’t really count Toone renewing as I doubt she’d ever leave, given the choice. She’s United to the core)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

I don't think being happy and excited is sufficient justification for acting inappropriately. I can forgive the odd over-enthusiastic hug particularly in a country where a hug and a cheek kiss is part of the interaction between friends. Even there, I draw the line before it gets to a kiss on the lips or a pat on the bottom though.

He's not her friend though. He's her boss's boss and he is responsible for setting the workplace culture and for hearing any grievances. Hermosa might not have been bothered - but then she's been in that environment since she was a kid. What happens to the ones who it does bother and what happened to the ones who it did bother in the past?

Do I think he should be charged with sexual assault - no. Do I think Hermosa should denounce him - if she isn't concerned and doesn't want to spoil the party, no I can understand her position.

Do I think he's the wrong man to be leading an organisation accused of being patriarchal in structure, condescending and dismissive towards female players and failing to respect safeguarding protections - absolutely. He's been the judge and jury in multiple cases and I don't trust him to act as the referee.

I say that as someone who watched just how poorly complaints brought by Eniola Aluko against Sampson for racism were handled by the English FA only a couple of years ago.

RoyH1

It's such a terrible shame for those players. Between Rubiales overextending himself, the untimely death of game MVP Carmona's fathers death and the eternal civil war that is any Spanish football coverage (how many from Barsa, why is Putellas not celebrating as enthusiastically as the others etc), there is always something to overshadow their accomplishment in the media coverage.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

"Rubiales begged Jenni Hermosa to appear together with him in the apology video.
Vilda tried to mediate with her relatives.
She refused."

The article it links to also suggests that she wasn't consulted on the RFEF statement that suggested it was ok with her...

Which means her only actual public comment so far was that Instagram video that said, "I didn't like it. But what do I do." It's believed that she's told them that she only wants to talk about the football.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Spanish PM now criticises Rubiales - will now surely be strong calls for him to resign

rooneyberbatov

Spanish PM now criticises Rubiales - will now surely be strong calls for him to resign
Yeah, the government pressures Rubiales to resign and if he doesn’t, he could be disqualified from his position for something between 2 and 15 years for improper conduct.

What a mess. The man should just resign. I feel sorry for the players as it should’ve been all about them and not him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

"Rubiales begged Jenni Hermosa to appear together with him in the apology video.
Vilda tried to mediate with her relatives.
She refused."

The article it links to also suggests that she wasn't consulted on the RFEF statement that suggested it was ok with her...

Which means her only actual public comment so far was that Instagram video that said, "I didn't like it. But what do I do." It's believed that she's told them that she only wants to talk about the football.
Grim behaviour. Utterly grim.