WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Was surprised to wake up to a Phillipines win, assumed NZ would be first team through

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Any more info about this ?!

Surely it's an injury - if it's a protest then she's let down her whole country with the ridiculous timing
Can't be true. Not like she has any kind of history of letting the whole country down.

PelleMyk

Do you reckon? Would be shocking if that's true - very hard for a squad with that kind of conflict to focus on football.
Just pure speculation from my side. She refused to play for Norway for a couple of years, and now she suddenly has a small injury in the final sprint the same day our biggest star (aside from her) is benched, seems far fetched.

Ham

Any more info about this ?!

Surely it's an injury - if it's a protest then she's let down her whole country with the ridiculous timing
All the reports say its a groin injury at the last minute

Reactions: Rood

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Can't be true. Not like she has any kind of history of letting the whole country down.
I was going to mention that but thought it best not to open that can :D at least she had a decent reason first time around

Ham

Don't think this weather has helped but a very poor quality game so far, hope someone can light a spark

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Norways stars seem to have some EGO, is that correct? Or the coach mishandling the players?
There are deep underlying issues. The federation is a mess. They have a grassroots approach to professional football. Participating is more important than winning which is just moronic at that level.

The stars are used to winning with their clubs so there's an obvious clash when the ambitions and demands with the national team aren't at the desired levels. So I can totally understand the players' frustrations. Where they are in the wrong is when they take their dirty laundry in public before and during tournaments. It's detrimental to the whole squad morale and ruins the campaign.

The management/coaches are usually at a loss because they are employed by the federation but have to get results through the players. Everyone is not pulling in the same direction so the coaching gig isn't easy. But nonetheless it's not a good reflection on the manager that the team and the main players are in such sad state during a World Cup.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Spain just too good for Zambia after only 13 minutes. 2-0 up. Sadly a small crowd at Eden Park for the game, they deserve better.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
2 quick goals from Spain. Fantastic long range effort for the first and then a simple header from a great cross. How can the women put in crosses like that but the men struggle to beat the first man?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Japan beat Costa Rica 2-0 earlier. A draw or better for Spain against Zambia will mean that Spain and Japan qualify for the knockouts today.

Putellas started for Spain.

Spain leading 2-0 after fifteen minutes. Not likely to be much giant killing happening in this group.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Japan beat Costa Rica 2-0 earlier. A draw or better for Spain against Zambia will mean that Spain and Japan qualify for the knockouts today.

Putellas started for Spain.

Spain leading 2-0 after fifteen minutes. Not likely to be much giant killing happening in this group.
I usually root for the underdogs, but I’m really enjoying Japan’s football so was happy enough to see them win. It could have easily been a similar score line to the Zambia game too.I did wonder when Fujino made that goal preventing tackle (for Costa Rica :lol:) early on if it might end up being one of those games where the dominant team gets frustrated throughout but didn’t take long after that. Fujino has been great in both games despite that slide tbf

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Spain make it 3-0.

Unfortunately for Zambia, GD might decide top place in the group (if Japan/Spain ends in a draw) and Spain will go for more goals.

And as I type that Putellas gets the ball in a net. Ref fumbles the VAR announcement on offside but it's 4-0 now.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Thanks for the summary @Samid. I don't really pay much attention to what's been going on with the women, but just seen CGH have appoligized.

Do we know why she was dropped?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Fancy Canada to beat Ireland now that they've dropped Sinclair, Fleming back is a big boost too. Ireland didn't really offer anything v Australia until late on when 1 down and their corners were great. Set pieces probably their best chance of getting anything.

RedDevilQuebecois

Fancy Canada to beat Ireland now that they've dropped Sinclair, Fleming back is a big boost too. Ireland didn't really offer anything v Australia until late on when 1 down and their corners were great. Set pieces probably their best chance of getting anything.
It was about time. Watching Sinclair play the way she did in the first match was torture.

RedDevilQuebecois

How much of a schoolboy error is that? If you don't have 2 defenders - 1 at each post on a corner kick, you are in a world of trouble.

Eric_the_Red99

I enjoy watching women's football (even watch the U.S. league games) but the goalkeeping has got to improve. I hope that improvement at that position catches up with the level of play from the rest of the players soon.
But how much of that is down to women simply being shorter than men? Katie Zelem scored directly from a corner in two successive games for United Women, and GK’s getting easily lobbed is pretty common in general across the women’s game. I sometimes wonder if the game would be improved if they played with smaller goals. Women playing with smaller/lighter equipment has precedence in other sports.