WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
South Americans travel well don’t they?

They always take large numbers to games.

RedDevilQuebecois

That goal is an example of why zonal marking is arguably the most braindead tactic ever invented in football. Hate it in the men's game too.

Lightbringer

Why did GER not leave 1 defender on each post on the corner? it would have been an easy save from that far out then!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Always great to get a shock result - even if I have bet on Germany to win the whole thing !

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Always great to get a shock result - even if I have bet on Germany to win the whole thing !
They might still win the whole thing but today was a warning for them and a great boost for anyone facing them. Colombia just hurried them off the park at times.

Colombia top the group with 6 points
Germany 3 pts and a +5 GD
Morocco 3pts and -5 GD
South Korea 0 pts

Germany play South Korea in the final match, so they're still odds on to qualify if only on GD.

Lightbringer

Considering GER will face FRA or BRA in playoffs maybe this result did not matter that much, cant say which of those teams are easier to face.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Bummer. Could only follow it by live updates, but it sounded like the better team won, sadly.

Lightbringer

Bummer. Could only follow it by live updates, but it sounded like the better team won, sadly.
GER was bullied physically and run into the ground. Tiki-taka football without any edge in the final 3rd. Oberdorf was the only player answering the bell!

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
GER was bullied physically and run into the ground. Tiki-taka football without any edge in the final 3rd. Oberdorf was the only player answering the bell!
They're probably trying not to show up our men's national team too much. Very loyal of them!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
They might still win the whole thing but today was a warning for them and a great boost for anyone facing them. Colombia just hurried them off the park at times.

Morocco 3pts and -5 GD
South Korea 0 pts

Germany play South Korea in the final match, so they're still odds on to qualify if only on GD.

Morocco 3pts and -5 GD
South Korea 0 pts

They will still go through but originally I expected Germany to knock out England in the quarter final, not so sure now

Lyricist

Oberdorf and Nüsken in the second half were the only players where you knew they'd be up for it and that were likely to win their duels. That said, it's not like Colombia had (m)any chances, so I think a draw would've been a fine result in terms of balance. But they certainly were amazing for being "the underdog". Aside of that the ref honestly never handing out any bookings meant that Colombia could be on the edge in all duels all game. There should've been 4-5 yellow cards for Colombia for tactical fouls by around the 80 minute mark. But fouling close around the own box to stop an attack was apparently nothing the ref considered to be of tactical importance.

Popp, Magull, Bühl, and Huth were especially disappointing for Germany in this game. Surely a game where you'd expect them to lead.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Group B and C get settled next:
Japan v Spain – 8am
Costa Rica v Zambia – 8am
Canada v Australia – 11am
Republic of Ireland v Nigeria – 11am

Group C - Spain and Japan have already qualified, both on six points. A draw is good enough for Spain to top the group. Costa Rica and Zambia are playing for pride.

Group B has three teams trying to qualify - the hosts, Canada the Olympic Champions and Nigeria who could become* were the first African team to get to the QF stages of a WWC but who have been going through a lot of turmoil in the build-up to this one.

I'm torn on this one. I think it'll be bad for the tournament if the Aussies go out. The tournament will more or less disappear from Australian free to view TV if it happens (most matches are on a pay channel but the Australian team's games were being broadcast). On the other hand United have two players in the Canadian team and a Nigerian win would be a big deal for the world game (though actually I'd like Ireland to pick up a point as well)

Plus it's always a laugh to see the Aussies lose.

It's a dilemma.

*edited to correct blatant mis-information :lol:

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Japan v Spain – 8am

Group C - Spain and Japan have already qualified, both on six points. A draw is good enough for Spain to top the group. Costa Rica and Zambia are playing for pride.

Group B has three teams trying to qualify - the hosts, Canada the Olympic Champions and Nigeria who could become the first African team to get to the knockout stage.

I'm torn on this one. I think it'll be bad for the tournament if the Aussies go out. The tournament will more or less disappear from Australian free to view TV if it happens (most matches are on a pay channel but the Australian team's games were being broadcast). On the other hand United have two players in the Canadian team and a Nigerian win would be a big deal for the world game (though actually I'd like Ireland to pick up a point as well)

It's a dilemma.
Do you mean first African team this time to qualify for Knockouts ?

Becks00

Japan v Spain – 8am

Group B has three teams trying to qualify - the hosts, Canada the Olympic Champions and Nigeria who could become the first African team to get to the knockout stage.

It's a dilemma.
Which teams would Spain/Japan face if either come second, I guess that would determine how the game pans out. Both seem to be free scoring teams though or is that more due to the poor defense of both Costa Rica and Zambia.

For the other group, it can go either way really but i expect to see Nigeria and Canada qualify.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a shame that this Japan-Spain game is a dead rubber. It’s probably the standout game of the tournament and undoubtedly the two best technical sides.
Bad scenario for a good spectacle, finishing 2nd is most likely the better outcome for either, so isn’t really much motivation to win.
2nd place looks like getting Swiss then Netherlands whilst 1st will get Norway USA most likely.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

Mina Tanaka makes it 4-0 with a very good run down the right wing and a cut to the inside prior to the left-footed curler.

Antony, you better watch how she did it.