WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Swedish TV was so cringe saying USA missed 3 out 4 penalties because the USA players were terrified of Musovic!

I cant believe USA missed 3 out of 4. Just put the ball in the middle of the net, its the best penalty statisticly.
Funny thing is that on a couple of the misses she moves too early and the USA players tried to just hit it to the other corner rather than just hit it to the side

Lightbringer

In women's football, the USA doesn't miss the semis at the world cup. Ever. It's a huge shock.
Sweden usually beats USA, 3-0 sweden last time they met in the olympics. Not a shock at all that they lost today even though USA was the better team in this game.

Dannn411

Not really, after their group games, I wouldn't say this is a shock at all, they've been garbage.
Not really, after their group games, I wouldn't say this is a shock at all, they've been garbage.
Fair enough. Yes, they've been pretty poor all tournament and for what it's worth, I've felt Spain were the better team for a while now but still, don't think anyone expected anything less than semis for them which is the standard.

Big Andy

Bloke
Soft (or hard) spot for the Sweden team after sharing a jacuzzi with them when they were over here for the Women’s Euros. They stayed at a spa hotel near me and me and the missus were there while they had a day off.

Grande

Think everyone is happy to see Rapinoe crying
No I think she’s a great player who has done a lot of good things for the sport.

Hard on the USA girls, who played their best game of the tournament against one of the other favorites. seeden were pale barring Musovic, Blackstenius, Jacobsson, the first extra half and Ericssons penalty. But sometimes that’s enough for a heroic deed!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Fair enough. Yes, they've been pretty poor all tournament and for what it's worth, I've felt Spain were the better team for a while now but still, don't think anyone expected anything less than semis for them which is the standard.
USA women were only so dominant because they were the first real country to put any investment into their women's team.

As soon as other countries could even be half arsed with their women's football, you could see the gap would close fast. They were never anything special, just everyone else was pretty poor.

Lightbringer

Soft (or hard) spot for the Sweden team after sharing a jacuzzi with them when they were over here for the Women’s Euros. They stayed at a spa hotel near me and me and the missus were there while they had a day off.
This still a story? :D You really cherish that memory, eh?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
No I think she’s a great player who has done a lot of good things for the sport.

Hard on the USA girls, who played their best game of the tournament against one of the other favorites. seeden were pale barring Musovic, Blackstenius, Jacobsson, the first extra half and Ericssons penalty. But sometimes that’s enough for a heroic deed!
Also a dickhead

Lightbringer

Trinity Rodman, what a baller that is! Player of the game easily! Would love to see her in a United shirt, but with the Glazers running this ship to the bottom of the ocean it will never happen!

shaky

The assistant reacted to it, I reckon she thought it was a goal - but as you say, without the technology I doubt we'd have seen it given.
I dunno if it wouldn't have been given. I think before the technology, balls that looked mostly over the line were generally given as goals rather than ruled out.

Lightbringer

I dunno if it wouldn't have been given. I think before the technology, balls that looked mostly over the line were generally given as goals rather than ruled out.
Trump would claim it was never over the line and try to overturn the decision and replay the entire knock-out round until the next worlds starts in 2027 :cool:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Trinity Rodman, what a baller that is! Player of the game easily! Would love to see her in a United shirt, but with the Glazers running this ship to the bottom of the ocean it will never happen!
Had a discussion with someone with me saying she was a very exciting player to watch. Talking to people though makes me realize how powerful journos are because some of the same things they said about her after the Netherlands game were thrown back at me: that she was wasteful etc. Kinda sad people take the words of Fox commentary trying to blame someone like her for the US' woes - without trying to put it into perspective.

Carolina Red

Staff
Can’t say it’s too awfully unexpected with the way the team was playing in the group stage. Carli Lloyd will be well within her rights to have a full on “told ya so” moment after she caught flack for saying they shouldn’t have been celebrating that draw.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Never seen anything like that.

I've no doubt it was over the line with the tech... But why was there a delay? I thought that goal line tech was instantaneous.

90 + 5min

Japan should beat Sweden but set pieces could be the issue for them. At this point value wise I think Japan are best bet for this tournament
Great game today.

Japan have been best team by far in this tournament. Their movement and passing through spaces have been incredible. They are opening teams so easy and getting lot of chances. The only way they can be beaten is by set pieces.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
One half of the bracket isn't like the other. England has a far easier path to the finals than Japan, Spain, the Netherlands and Sweden - I could see any of those 4 winning it.

Imho Japan and Spain have looked most impressive, then the Netherlands and England, then Sweden.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
You've lived Al Bundy's dream? Damn skippy!