WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

Lightbringer

Almost 25th minutes played, the last 20 has been boring AF. Nothing happening.

USA would beaten Japan comfortably I reckon!

Lightbringer

Whats Japans plan? Sit back on their own half and hope they get a counter going sometime during the game?

Lightbringer

For the sake of entertainment I hope one team scores soon, otherwise we might be in for a real snooze-fest.

Eric_the_Red99

Japan are such a tidy football team. Hardly any unforced errors. Effortlessly passing around the Swedish press, with nobody panicking.

Edit: And Sweden score within seconds haha. To be fair, a set piece was probably Sweden's best chance of scoring.

Lightbringer

1-0 Sweden.

Well, lets see what Japans got now then! When they cant just sit low and wait for the other team to make a mistake!

Gordon S

Japan are such a tidy football team. Hardly any unforced errors. Effortlessly passing around the Swedish press, with nobody panicking.

Edit: And Sweden score within seconds haha
Wow, how did you reach that conclusion after the first 32 minutes? I`ts been all Sweden so far apart from a few minutes!

Lightbringer

This is hilarious.

People claimed Japan would beat USA like 3-0 or 4-0 and USA dominated Sweden.

And now Sweden has totally dominated Japan in the first half.

I think USA could have won gold actually!

It seems Japan is getting physically bullied and mentally having a hard time to cope with that?

Lightbringer

Half time.

Shot attempts 8-0 for Sweden, just total domination.

Japan needs a miracle or a new team in the 2nd half.

Gordon S

Half time.

Shot attempts 8-0 for Sweden, just total domination.

Japan needs a miracle or a new team in the 2nd half.
Utter domination for sure, just hope that the near misses don´t come back to haunt us.
We´ve seen plenty of games where the scenario has completely changed second half. Still only 1-0.

Grande

This is hilarious.

People claimed Japan would beat USA like 3-0 or 4-0 and USA dominated Sweden.

And now Sweden has totally dominated Japan in the first half.

I think USA could have won gold actually!

It seems Japan is getting physically bullied and mentally having a hard time to cope with that?
I think people generally have a hard time with judging the level of a game. It was esy to see that what Japan did to Spain was brilliant, but much harder to see the very high level of reciprocal nullifying between two of the best teams in the world, Sweden and USA. Sweden was one of the favorites going into the tournament, and it’s starting to show why. Their players are good and experienced, they are well orgnized and can handle a lot of very different situations well.

Lightbringer

Utter domination for sure, just hope that the near misses don´t come back to haunt us.
We´ve seen plenty of games where the scenario has completely changed second half. Still only 1-0.
Yep, but the difference is when USA dominated sweden for the first 55 minutes it was till 0-0.

Sweden has looked like the quicker, stronger and more skillful team in this half.

I have not even seen Japan to be faster, which should have been their advantage.

Lightbringer

I think people generally have a hard time with judging the level of a game. It was esy to see that what Japan did to Spain was brilliant, but much harder to see the very high level of reciprocal nullifying between two of the best teams in the world, Sweden and USA. Sweden was one of the favorites going into the tournament, and it’s starting to show why. Their players are good and experienced, they are well orgnized and can handle a lot of very different situations well.
I think people are just hating on team USA tbh. 2 titles in a row, controversial players that have been seen as arrogant. USA could easily have beaten Sweden with 2-0 or 3-0 they were that much better.

Really weak half by Japan, did not show anything at all. Do they have a backup plan in case they get behind?

I was expecting this game to be proper battle, so just feeling a bit underwhelmed in that sense.

Lightbringer

Think that’s a very harsh decision to be honest.
I kind of agree, if they set the bar like that, everything will be a penalty. Its a deflection from short distance, her arms are close to her body. No apparent scoring chance denied. That killed off Japans chances completely probably.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Nah, you got to learn that you can't have your arms like that when jumping inside the box. It's of course not deliberate, but it's a handball every time.
Not really, even though she knew nothing about it she stopped the ball moving on to the Swedish player. It’s tough but a clear penalty
Her arm was in front of her rather than out, so she wasn’t making her body bigger. I don’t know where she could have placed her arm where it wouldn’t have hit the ball, especially when it was deflected from so close.

RedDevilQuebecois

fecking shitshow of a game by Japan all around. They totally blew it.

Yes, the penalty was harsh because the arm was definitely not making her body bigger, especially with 6 bodies in her field of vision. Even so, I'm very disappointed at the way Japan approached the game.

Lightbringer

Her arm was in front of her rather than out, so she wasn’t making her body bigger. I don’t know where she could have placed her arm where it wouldn’t have hit the ball, especially when it was deflected from so close.
Only way she could have done that was to have her arms wrapped against her body completely, like when people are blocking shots. I dont know, I think it was a close call, but I would have ruled no penalty if I had been in charge.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
sadly for her it doesn’t matter if she had no idea where the ball was, it if takes away an attacking players chance at the ball it’s got to be given.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Japan are being pressured so well that they keep having to go long to ease the pressure which just means they lose the ball. Wonder what the possession stats are

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Joke decision.

What's she supposed to do? It's one thing having your arms behind your back when trying to block a shot but defenders doing it at a corner when the attackers are pushing and shoving and jumping all over you is ridiculous.

Japan had looked so good in the tournament up to now but they need to up their game or it'll be the alehouse football of Sweden that wins.

Lightbringer

Joke decision.

What's she supposed to do? It's one thing having your arms behind your back when trying to block a shot but defenders doing it at a corner when the attackers are pushing and shoving and jumping all over you is ridiculous.

Japan had looked so good in the tournament up to now but they need to up their game or it'll be the alehouse football of Sweden that wins.
What does that even mean for non-UK people? (alehouse football) :-)

Lightbringer

Sunday league or pub league? Hoofball is rife in those.
Haha. Obviously Duabe Dibey has not watched the game today if thats what it means.

I would say Japan has been anti-football today.

Just sitting deep and not doing much of anything at all.

Tbh, Sweden was kind of anti-football vs USA, haha.