Xavi (Spanish Lego Pep) | Sacked, Backed, then Sacked

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Manchester United's money is self generated. We're the original large self generating club that lead the way in the 1990s-2000s that Madrid and Barcelona followed in how to maximize your own money through marketing and merch. United is the total opposite of a sugar daddy. The sheer size of United is what allows us to spend the same as City.

The Glazers borrowed money to buy us because we were the largest name and biggest self earning club in the world at the time that they could live off and watch the asset grow as the game gets bigger. They didn't have enough money to buy us and their type of ownership would be blocked now. Malcolm Glazer saw an opportunity to get something lucrative they couldn't afford.
I am not very familiar with finance. Glazer is the owner of the club, so just like any business or publicly traded company, any money spent in the club either on infrastructure, player transfer or wages, is "his" money, right? How does it different if you borrow money from the bank to buy a franchise like a McDonald and use the revenue/profit to pay off the interest or debt?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Talking about how they need more signings in the winter?

I don't know how much Barca can give him in the winter transfer window, probably not much, considering what they have already spent.

Dr. StrangeHate

He has incorporated elements of Stoke style direct football which I did not expect from a guy like Xavi.

Cloud7

I like what he has done with his Barcelona team. They aren’t afraid to play direct football and mix it up more than the Barcelona teams of the recent past.

Golden Nugget

What was the two times he kept referencing? I get the Fred call, but can’t remember which other.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Such an insufferable moaning creature. Was the same as player.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Honestly I quite like him, think he's doing a pretty good job.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
What is it about these ex-Barca Spanish managers that make them such insufferable cnuts?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We were definitely the better team and should have won but he’s still done a very good job which was evident from their football (and their position in the table).

Red Comet

I am not very familiar with finance. Glazer is the owner of the club, so just like any business or publicly traded company, any money spent in the club either on infrastructure, player transfer or wages, is "his" money, right? How does it different if you borrow money from the bank to buy a franchise like a McDonald and use the revenue/profit to pay off the interest or debt?
The way you think it works is like how a "mom and pop" shop is being run - if it's a small scale family business, technically yes any money that comes into the till is "your" money. However, things become slightly complicated because say if some family member takes money from the till willy-nilly then it becomes difficult to reconcile actual business earnings if the money left in the till at the end of the day does not match up with sales. Also, as a properly run business you want to make sure that you make a profit - which means that you should make a profit (a.k.a profit margin) after factoring in cost of goods sold, rental cost, employee cost, ops cost etc. and it becomes absolutely crucial to make sure you know how much cost is going into the business v.s how much you are making after deducting cost.

Additionally, personal tax rate is different from business tax rates. Business tax rates are often lower (after taking into consideration the subsidies) so it becomes crucial to keep things separate between personal and business.

To ensure that things are being tracked properly, what happens then at any business that exercise proper accounting is to dis-associate the business from personal account. Whatever surplus a business has comes back into the business and may be used to either restock sold goods or potentially reinvest into the business.

Now, this is more crucial if the you have more than one business. You want to make absolutely sure that one business is not subsidising the other. This is not yet taking into account the complexity of each business having to pay their own employees and taxes.

Coming back to us - the way Glazers took a loan which is not based on his personal wealth and assets, but rather on the projected future earnings of Man Utd. If for whatever reasons the venture fails, Man Utd will be liable to return the loan, not Glazer. To highlight how ridiculous this is - imagine I wanted to buy Apple (the company). I took a loan from the bank based on how profitable Apple currently is and the project future earnings, and initiate an aggressive buy over of Apple using the loaned money. Any future earnings made by Apple is used to pay off the loans while I take a massive cut as the primary shareholder.

This shite is so ridiculous that EPL updated the rules around club ownership and buyouts to prevent future incidences.

Idxomer

Compared to Arteta and Klopp, his conduct is fine on the touchline.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He was very complimentary both before and after the game, you lot just hate everyone

YikesSchmeics

I like what he has done with his Barcelona team. They aren’t afraid to play direct football and mix it up more than the Barcelona teams of the recent past.
He played under LVG and Pep who both preferred heavy possession. But he also played under Rijkaard who played a more rigid formation with players swapping positions a lot and then Luis Enrique who blended the possession based football with a willingness to go very direct especially in transition. So natural I think he would adopt elements of all.

For me, even though Peps Barca teams smothered teams into submission I thought Luis Enrique's 2015 team was better to watch.

Reactions: JPRouve

Cloud7

He played under LVG and Pep who both preferred heavy possession. But he also played under Rijkaard who played a more rigid formation with players swapping positions a lot and then Luis Enrique who blended the possession based football with a willingness to go very direct especially in transition. So natural I think he would adopt elements of all.

For me, even though Peps Barca teams smothered teams into submission I thought Luis Enrique's 2015 team was better to watch.
I enjoyed Pep's Barcelona the most because I had never really seen a team dominate the ball and choke other teams to death the way Pep's team did, and I really enjoyed watching how they would cut other teams apart with their passing (When it wasn't us) but Enrique's Barcelona was really good to watch as well

ti vu

Not devalue our own performance, but Xavi managerial record in European competition kinda shite, isn't it?

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
Xavi is just twerking for the United job now the Qataris are probably coming in.

I bet he doesn't even know the lyrics to the Manchester United song

Zoo

Yeah he definitely wants the United job in the future.

Lyng

I dont get the hate for him. He is always very respectful when talking about United.

Lemoor

Not devalue our own performance, but Xavi managerial record in European competition kinda shite, isn't it?
It is, but it's also been quite limited. If he improves next season, I wouldn't expect people to mention it much after that. Inter and Eintracht are probably the only results people can legitimately hold against him.