Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
By all early accounts Redfall turned out absolutely dreadful. If they can’t put their shit together to have Starfield received well at launch there is no hope.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Its supposed to be absolutely terrible. Xbox really needed this to work. I find their run of exclusives since the last generation to be really bewildering.

hobbers

Redfall is a hot steaming pile of garbage, predictably. Empty world, brain dead script, no cut scenes, AI who spend more time running into walls than attacking you. That's just from 30 minutes of play time.

Bad enough for the time to download it on gamepass. But pity any fool who pays £60 for this on steam and plays beyond the 2 hour refund window. Looks and feels like a £10 indie game with very little content.

So much for flagship gamepass games eh. :lol: And I dont hold out much hope for Starfield or Forza to buck the trend.

Sarni

Redfall is a hot steaming pile of garbage, predictably. Empty world, brain dead script, no cut scenes, AI who spend more time running into walls than attacking you. That's just from 30 minutes of play time.

Bad enough for the time to download it on gamepass. But pity any fool who pays £60 for this on steam and plays beyond the 2 hour refund window. Looks and feels like a £10 indie game with very little content.

So much for flagship gamepass games eh. :lol: And I dont hold out much hope for Starfield or Forza to buck the trend.
Forza will be good as always but it’s a racing game that isn’t particularly accessible for casuals so it won’t move the needle. Starfield I don’t have major expectations for, it could be good, it could be a mess.

Sarni

My gamepass has ran out and no reason to renew it as yet.
Mine goes on for another 2 years but I can see the usage rate going the same direction as my PS5 (which I am yet to boot up in 2023). There’s only so long you can survive on indies, ‘hidden gems’ and older games, especially as they have been reducing additions recently too.

Sarni

The X is an incredible gaming console. It really is. The problem is that Microsoft have barely made any decent games for it. Total shambles.
Yeah I feel the same. In terms of experience, design, it's my favorite console in a while (probably since PS2 or 360, the previous generation I did not have much love for and I definitely prefer X to PS5).

However there's only so long you can survive on Game Pass backlog and forcing yourself to play 3-4 year old games you may not have had the time to play before. It also helps I barely used my Xbox One so still had games like Halo, Gears to catch up, otherwise I'd have run out of interest much earlier. They did well to secure some of the not huge but big enough titles at launch, like Plague Tale / Wo Long, but even that is very likely to dwindle going forward as throwing money at the core issue will not work long term.

It's not even that Redfall is terrible, it's that they literally do not have anything beyond Starfield announced for the immediate future either, and even the smaller titles like Benedict Fox have been major let downs recently whereas they hit many of these in the last couple of years (As Dusk Falls, Pentiment, Immortality to name a few). Technically they should have STALKER 2 but probably won't release that for another 2 years and I don't expect it to be polished either.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah I feel the same. In terms of experience, design, it's my favorite console in a while (probably since PS2 or 360, the previous generation I did not have much love for and I definitely prefer X to PS5).

However there's only so long you can survive on Game Pass backlog and forcing yourself to play 3-4 year old games you may not have had the time to play before. It also helps I barely used my Xbox One so still had games like Halo, Gears to catch up, otherwise I'd have run out of interest much earlier. They did well to secure some of the not huge but big enough titles at launch, like Plague Tale / Wo Long, but even that is very likely to dwindle going forward as throwing money at the core issue will not work long term.

It's not even that Redfall is terrible, it's that they literally do not have anything beyond Starfield announced for the immediate future either, and even the smaller titles like Benedict Fox have been major let downs recently whereas they hit many of these in the last couple of years (As Dusk Falls, Pentiment, Immortality to name a few). Technically they should have STALKER 2 but probably won't release that for another 2 years and I don't expect it to be polished either.
The problem is (and I know I shouldn't discuss it in here) that the PS5 is a more "next-gen" experience for multi-platform games on both consoles because of Dualsense and 3d sound and the fact that both consoles have near identical performance - so unless something is on Gamepass there's not much reason to go for the Xbox. There has been a lot of good stuff on Gamepass, but very little of it from Microsoft. It's a console I used a lot but almost never to its potential which is the big problem.

I've basically spent €500 quid on something that I play indie and older games on :lol:

evil_geko

No cutscenes can only be positive for me in sea of "movie-like" games.

I will try Redfall on Game Pass with friend in coop, might be fun, I am done trusting "critics" and follow their opinion like sheep.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm starting to dislike MS's focus on getting big games on gamepass, particularly when they aren't very good, as it feels like their approach is always to balance them alongside small games, which also aren't interesting.

Mid-tier games are generally where the service shines and the best month in recent memory was when they put the Persona titles on there.

b82REZ

The problem is (and I know I shouldn't discuss it in here) that the PS5 is a more "next-gen" experience for multi-platform games on both consoles because of Dualsense and 3d sound and the fact that both consoles have near identical performance - so unless something is on Gamepass there's not much reason to go for the Xbox. There has been a lot of good stuff on Gamepass, but very little of it from Microsoft. It's a console I used a lot but almost never to its potential which is the big problem.

I've basically spent €500 quid on something that I play indie and older games on :lol:
This is why I've always maintained the Steam Deck is MS biggest competitor this gen.

As you said, Sony have made more strides into making the PS5 feel like a new generation. MS have just created powerful machine to continue to push GP.

I've always wanted a big MS exclusive to persuade me to get an X, but it's looking less and less likely; especially as I've never been a big fan of Bethesda titles.

Sarni

To be fair I play multiplatform games on my Xbox, just prefer the ecosystem and quick resume works seamlessly even if pad is inferior.

My PS5 is the least used device I've ever owned, over the last 1.5 years I must have accumulated less than 30 hours total. I actually lent it to my next door neighbors last September and did not pick it up until January. :lol: This generation has been truly terrible. I would love to go Switch only and be done with it. Just release a properly powered console, Nintendo.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
This is why I've always maintained the Steam Deck is MS biggest competitor this gen.

As you said, Sony have made more strides into making the PS5 feel like a new generation. MS have just created powerful machine to continue to push GP.

I've always wanted a big MS exclusive to persuade me to get an X, but it's looking less and less likely; especially as I've never been a big fan of Bethesda titles.
The steam deck has sold 3m units which is nothing compared to the Xbox, so I don't think so. It's still a fairly niche product. Most console gamers probably won't even know what it is.

I have one and it is a wonderful device, Valve have done an incredible job, but it's not a console replacement. I think ultimately it will lead to a lot of other companies copying Valve (Asus already have) and it will definitely help the handheld market.

b82REZ

The steam deck has sold 3m units which is nothing compared to the Xbox, so I don't think so. It's still a fairly niche product. Most console gamers probably won't even know what it is.

I have one and it is a wonderful device, Valve have done an incredible job, but it's not a console replacement. I think ultimately it will lead to a lot of other companies copying Valve (Asus already have) and it will definitely help the handheld market.
Maybe not a direct competitor but they'll certainly be eating into MS bottom line.

Bear in mind the Deck was only available through Steam, as of last week stores have started to stock them (at least in Japan). If they become common in shops I think those numbers increase exponentially.

The Deck is my most played device now.

Shark

@NotShark
What an absolute shit show from Microsoft. I've also very little faith Starfield will be a success but it'll probably at least have more meat on the boan than anything so far given it's Bethesda. As others said the Series X is a fantastic machine and it's sad that it's potential is being thrown down the drain.

Sarni

What an absolute shit show from Microsoft. I've also very little faith Starfield will be a success but it'll probably at least have more meat on the boan than anything so far given it's Bethesda. As others said the Series X is a fantastic machine and it's sad that it's potentially is being thrown down the drain.
Starfield will probably be playable but I don't expect it to be amazing at all. Probably a solid 7.5 - 8 out of 10 which will be bumped up to 9 because it is literally the only AAA exclusive Xbox has this year.

DavelinaJolie

Starfield will probably be playable but I don't expect it to be amazing at all. Probably a solid 7.5 - 8 out of 10 which will be bumped up to 9 because it is literally the only AAA exclusive Xbox has this year.
It's a Bethesda open world RPG. On release you'll bump into your spaceship and see it launch into orbit.

hobbers

Yeah but they haven't just left them out, they've replaced them with tacky slideshows with a script and voice acting that you'd find in a 2 bob indie game.

Balljy

I will try Redfall on Game Pass with friend in coop, might be fun, I am done trusting "critics" and follow their opinion like sheep.
I'd argue that's the case for gaming in general, but not on Xbox.. There's a real lack of quality of story led games on the console with the focus on multiplayer and action. That's quite a big subsection of gamers to miss out on. They've tried to cover that a bit with getting some of them from other publishers on GP but the with the number of teams they have, they should really be doing better.

I get the impression that they are very marketing led and have decided to go for one market with their AAA games orientated at streaming rather than mature storylines / characters. Bethesda will change that, but it's only one game every few years.

Sarni

I'd argue that's the case for gaming in general, but not on Xbox.. There's a real lack of quality of story led games on the console with the focus on multiplayer and action. That's quite a big subsection of gamers to miss out on. They've tried to cover that a bit with getting some of them from other publishers on GP but the with the number of teams they have, they should really be doing better.

I get the impression that they are very marketing led and have decided to go for one market with their AAA games orientated at streaming rather than mature storylines / characters. Bethesda will change that, but it's only one game every few years.
They don’t even have those multiplayer focused game either. The only worthwhile AAA exclusive they have released so far was Forza Horizon 5.

Balljy

They don’t even have those multiplayer focused game either. The only worthwhile AAA exclusive they have released so far was Forza Horizon 5.
Yeah, not focused on it which is a lot of their issue. I was thinking the likes of Redfall. They've tried to create a multiplayer co-op game rather than concentrate on the single player and we end up with another MS game that doesn't really appeal to many as it doesn't do anything really well.

I didn't get on with Horizon personally, again it tried to appeal to everyone without a real focus. All those social media-like pop-ups put me off it very quickly and it didn't seem to have a decent purpose although it was definitely well made. I'm looking forward to Forza Motorsport though.

hobbers

Forza has been trash for years.

The last couple of Motorsports, 6 and 7, had handling that both failed to be fun and are a joke to any sim racer. Horizon is just a collection simulator with no worthwhile racing content. Almost The Crew levels of lowest common denominator crap.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Forza 2 was the last one that at least felt sim enough to be considered one. I really enjoyed that and the Xbox force feedback wheel for a console similar.

Since then the forced assists/lack of physics upgrades and all that have dumbed it down to near arcade levels.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't get you lot sometimes
"The 1st party games are bad" :(
"There are no new games" :(
"I have no faith in MS" :(
"Starfield will probably be crap" :(
Etc........

and then

"Amazing console though" :D
"Hardly turn on my PS5" :D

Anyway, enjoy...

Sarni

I don't get you lot sometimes
"The 1st party games are bad" :(
"There are no new games" :(
"I have no faith in MS" :(
"Starfield will probably be crap" :(
Etc........

and then

"Amazing console though" :D
"Hardly turn on my PS5" :D

Anyway, enjoy...
It's a good machine with great subscription service / some decent functions and awful (or more accurately, non-existent) first party support. Definitely not an amazing console as a whole. It looked like it could be headed 360 route early on but looks even worse than One generation in terms of games currently.

The bolded is my comment and it has very little to do with Xbox to be honest, as Xbox will probably go the same direction very shortly (it basically already has for the last few weeks) - if Starfield sucks then I'm actually inclined to just move Xbox to my parents' summer house and stick with PS5 / Switch setup at my home only. I think both consoles are underwhelming as a whole but there's a separate thread for that.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's a good machine with great subscription service / some decent functions and awful (or more accurately, non-existent) first party support. Definitely not an amazing console as a whole. It looked like it could be headed 360 route early on but looks even worse than One generation in terms of games currently.

The bolded is my comment and it has very little to do with Xbox to be honest, as Xbox will probably go the same direction very shortly (it basically already has for the last few weeks) - if Starfield sucks then I'm actually inclined to just move Xbox to my parents' summer house and stick with PS5 / Switch setup at my home only. I think both consoles are underwhelming as a whole but there's a separate thread for that.
I think you'd do well to just alternate between all of them generally.

Nintendo makes the most fun games. PS5 has the occasional fantastic exclusives, and Xbox is splendid for indie/mid-tier games via gamepass.

Their strengths balance out the weaknesses of the other ones.

afrocentricity

I think you'd do well to just alternate between all of them generally.

Nintendo makes the most fun games. PS5 has the occasional fantastic exclusives, and Xbox is splendid for indie/mid-tier games via gamepass.

Their strengths balance out the weaknesses of the other ones.
Yeah but some are limited by time or money or both so won't get all 3

afrocentricity

People who are tempered by a lack of wealth need not thrust their inadequacies into this debate.

me for example, I can't afford all of them

@Vidyoyo counting his money

But for real I loved PS360 era Xbox, they get back to that then I might consider getting one. I could do without the subscription services just give me games and modabilty