Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

BristolRuss

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place but I can't find a specific thread just for Game Pass; but Death Stranding is coming to PC GP on August 23rd. Not console as I assume Sony paid for the exclusivity there.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Not sure if this is the most appropriate place but I can't find a specific thread just for Game Pass; but Death Stranding is coming to PC GP on August 23rd. Not console as I assume Sony paid for the exclusivity there.
Death Stranding is Sony's IP. It's out on PC GP due to 505 Games being the publisher of it on PC.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Bought my eldest boy the Series S for his birthday since he kept moaning about it. I feel dirty because this is a Sony house but I didn't appreciate how good of a deal Game Pass is. That's my evening on the PC sorted out!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Just finished As Dusk Falls, basically binged it in a day and a half. Very very good experience and when I’ve spoken with a mate who finished it a couple weeks ago, it feels like we’ve played two different games - the decisions seem to have very heavy impact on how the story unfolds. It’s refreshing to see as many games these days give you impression of being able to influence things but still lead to the same conclusions.

Immortality is out on GP next week so I have finally given Telling Lies a try, and binged it in a day as well. It was super confusing at first but got interesting quickly.

Think it’s time to get down to Mass Effect finally. Never actually played any of the games in the series so it’s bound to be a good ride. In the meantime will also play GoW2, again a series I should have but had not played (finished 1st one recently, what a game).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just finished As Dusk Falls, basically binged it in a day and a half. Very very good experience and when I’ve spoken with a mate who finished it a couple weeks ago, it feels like we’ve played two different games - the decisions seem to have very heavy impact on how the story unfolds. It’s refreshing to see as many games these days give you impression of being able to influence things but still lead to the same conclusions.
Oh nice. Do like this kind of games. Gonna give this a go.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Played some of As Dusk Falls. Only prob with choices in games is I'm always trying to second guess how the game is going to punish me for my choice. It's alright so far. Obviously can't really rate it til it's done.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Interested in Immortality too. Just hit gamepass and getting really good reviews.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Is that the interactive movie looking one or am I thinking of something else?
Yeah usual interactive story type affair with choices. Apparently the choices do actually make a big difference in this one though. Wouldn’t say it’s like a movie. It’s mostly stills in quick succession but with voice acting. It’s quite a different style than I’m used to.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah usual interactive story type affair with choices. Apparently the choices do actually make a big difference in this one though. Wouldn’t say it’s like a movie. It’s mostly stills in quick succession but with voice acting. It’s quite a different style than I’m used to.
It’s very good. I was a little peeved to learn that certain scenes (especially later on) play out the same way regardless of the choices that you make, but overall there does seem to be a lot of different paths and scenes based on the choices made throughout. And the voice acting is excellent.

the story is a bit Dallas but the characters are good enough to keep you going.

Sarni

It’s very good. I was a little peeved to learn that certain scenes (especially later on) play out the same way regardless of the choices that you make, but overall there does seem to be a lot of different paths and scenes based on the choices made throughout. And the voice acting is excellent.

the story is a bit Dallas but the characters are good enough to keep you going.
Yeah choices do matter a lot. My friend was playing the game at the same time as me and when we discussed it at different points it was basically as if we were playing completely different games.

Immortality is fantastic BTW. I did enjoy Telling Lies but this is on a much higher level I feel. Super confusing but gets you hooked almost immediately.

Massive Spanner

I saw on reddit that the default power mode of the Series X can cost £60-70 per year in electricity with the current price of bills in the UK, fecking mental.

I'd recommend, if you haven't already, switching to the other low-power mode, uses 20 times less power on idle. Only downside is you can't download games when the console is "off" but seems worth it to me. Still boots up as fast.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I saw on reddit that the default power mode of the Series X can cost £60-70 per year in electricity with the current price of bills in the UK, fecking mental.

I'd recommend, if you haven't already, switching to the other low-power mode, uses 20 times less power on idle. Only downside is you can't download games when the console is "off" but seems worth it to me. Still boots up as fast.
I did some digging into this and posted about it in the other, more evil console thread.

It's absolutely worth switching to low power mode to save that dollar.

If anybody's interested I've calculated that the PS5 (and Xbox Series X) costs around 10-13p an hour to run at current energy rates (Oct 2022 rate).

A 50 hour game therefore costs around £5 to play, less intensive games cost less.

Standby mode costs about 5p an hour on quick bootup mode.

Massive Spanner

I posted about this recently in the other, more evil console thread.

The prices are comparable in standby mode between but absolutely worth switching off to low power mode.
The same post said the PS5's default is comparable to the Xbox's low power mode, not the default i.e. around £5, so it's not really an issue in the same way. The calculation below is a bit off, it's only half of that, but still considerable.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The same post said the PS5's default is comparable to the Xbox's low power mode, not the default i.e. around £5, so it's not really an issue in the same way. The calculation below is a bit off, it's only half of that, but still considerable.

That sounds about right. Google says Xbox uses 29w p/h while running in standby on fast boot mode whereas PS5's standby mode only uses around 1.5-2w.

Didn't realise, and very surprised, the difference is so big.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That sounds about right. Google says Xbox uses 29w p/h while running in standby on fast boot mode whereas PS5's standby mode only uses around 1.5-2w.

Much more powerful standby mode you see. Another win.

It's mad it costs so much. I'm guessing the low energy mode doesn't auto-download updates?

It's also mad that were at the point of talking about this :(

Massive Spanner

Much more powerful standby mode you see. Another win.

It's mad it costs so much. I'm guessing the low energy mode doesn't auto-download updates?

It's also mad that were at the point of talking about this :(
Correct.

I assumed it was needed for quick resume, but it's not. It's insane that it needs 20 x as much power purely to download games/updates. The PS5 can do that on it's default (low power) mode. MS should really release an update to default it to the low power mode give the state of things right now.

BristolRuss

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/hardware-network/power/learn-about-power-modes

Mode​
Power consumption​
Regulatory Standby​
0.5 W​
Instant-On​
13 W​
Navigation Mode​
48 W​
DVD Playback​
48 W​
Blu-Ray Playback​
50 W​
Streaming HD​
47 W​
Streaming UHD​
48 W​
Active Gameplay​
153 W​
Navigation Mode APD​
60 minutes​
Navigation Mode APD​
60 minutes​
Disk Media APD​
240 minutes​
Streaming Media APD​
240 minutes​

It's received updates over time which has lowered its power consumption. I also actually believe that it can still update games even in its eco mode, but I'm not 100% on that. I think the main thing you can't do if it is in eco mode is install games remotely like from your phone. That is a small price to pay though and the eco mode is well worth it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I also actually believe that it can still update games even in its eco mode, but I'm not 100% on that.
Saw that mentioned on Reddit but don't know if definite. Even the full power mode only updates recently played games so if it matches that then it's a no brainer.

Sarni

How can they even compete?

Even a seemingly terrible lineup does have Metal Hellsinger which looks like a good game, and the parking one looks quite fun as well. They'll probably give us Deathloop in their next update, and there will be plenty of games in Q4 and early next year. However the last few lineups really have not been amazing and have lacked heavy hitters.

Massive Spanner

Nah it's been properly shite the last while. I've barely touched my Series X the last few months. PC has been a bit better with the likes of Two point campus and Death Stranding.

Balljy

Nah it's been properly shite the last while. I've barely touched my Series X the last few months. PC has been a bit better with the likes of Two point campus and Death Stranding.
Two Point Campus is amazing. It's such an addictive game. Is it not on Series X? I thought it was for some reason.

ben_united

If someone has 2 homes (for example a child's mums and dads house) - can they simply log on to their account to access any digital games purchased? Had a look online but the examples/answers all seem overly complex talking about setting xbox as home account etc.

Alock1

If someone has 2 homes (for example a child's mums and dads house) - can they simply log on to their account to access any digital games purchased? Had a look online but the examples/answers all seem overly complex talking about setting xbox as home account etc.
Yes they can. Even without bothering with setting xboxs as home, as long as they are logged into the account that bought the game they can access it.

Alock1

The Halo criticism is so overblown

As a package it has a good open world campaign with decent amount of content and then an excellent multiplayer base game.

The most successful live service games have more content quicker but for the most part they are limited to BRs which are able to easily update with loot and a big iterative map, whilst having no campaign offering.

The lack of additional content doesn't take away from it offering a great experience upfront. It's comparable to all the other exclusives on the market from other providers in terms of replayability.

Once Forge gets added there's gonna be tons to do as the toolset looks great.

Not having split screen co op is stupid expectation management on their part but a very niche feature which isn't prevalent in any open world games.