Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Any of you nerds had to send a controller off to be repaired for stick drift? Still under warranty, just wondering how smooth it goes.

caid

Meh, brilliant at the time, it'll be absolute dogshit now.
I just cant deal with the controls on the original. Fixing that alone might make it playable for nostalgia sake instead of getting 20 secs into the game and thinking nope

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Meh, brilliant at the time, it'll be absolute dogshit now.
https://www.007.com/goldeneye-007-coming-to-nintendo-switch-online-xbox-gamepass/

Exclusive to the new Switch version of the 1997 title will be online play, allowing 007 fans across the world to take part in the popular four person multiplayer mode.
Online play exclusive to the Switch version.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/09/13/james-bond-returns-goldeneye-007-on-game-pass/

The original experience has been updated with improved control options (including dual analogue stick support), native 16:9 resolution up to 4K Ultra HD (where supported), a consistent refresh rate and a full complement of achievements to unlock.
Probably not 60 or it would have said. Screenshots are in the article - it is the original, not the XBLA version.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Just finished Immortality. What a beautifully weird experience, I basically went from not really understanding anything to grasping the whole concept & story in a matter of 30 minutes. That moment of revelation when you start connecting the dots is the best part of Barlow’s games.

Also finished Plague Tale last weekend as it is getting pulled off Game Pass on Thursday. Good game, sequel coming to GP in a month.

Managed to finish Legendary remake of first Mass Effect (never played that game during 360 era), already downloading the second one. Very well executed remaster though I am surprised to finish the first one in just 10 hours as it is supposed to be a 18-20 hour game (though I did not do any of the side missions).

I think I may have already completed more games on my Series X than I had on the entire previous generation. :lol: Many of them are actually games from previous gen though, and I am even catching up on the 360 era (which with improved FPS and HDR is a blast).

redcucumber

Oooo that's rad. Goldeneye on N64 was the fecking bomb. Pretty lame that online play will be exclusive to Switch, though - how/why did Microsoft agree to that? I live alone in my bachelor pad and mates aren't round enough to make the most of split-screen.

Abraxas

I've been playing all the Dragon Age games since I somehow missed them.

Maybe I am just burnt out from playing them in quick succession, but Inquisition seems the worst to me. A technical marvel for the time, it is gigantic with a lot of content but the side quests have no story and there's so much to do (most of which do not really engage you) and you forget what you're even doing. It feels really bloated. It's also not a challenge even on hard whereas the other games give you a proper run for your money.

I think Origins was an amazing game.

Last edited:

redcucumber

Are there any good multiplayer shooters nowadays that aren't open world/battle royale style? Just seen that Deathloop is on the way. I've given up on Halo Infinite - Halo 2 and 3 were great but this new iteration is a pain in the arse. Had some fun but the lack of maps, glitchy and buggy interface turned me off it.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Are there any good multiplayer shooters nowadays that aren't open world/battle royale style? Just seen that Deathloop is on the way. I've given up on Halo Infinite - Halo 2 and 3 were great but this new iteration is a pain in the arse. Had some fun but the lack of maps, glitchy and buggy interface turned me off it.
Insurgency: Sandstorm if you like a more realistic slant to your shooters. Fantastic game!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I was playing the first A Plague Tale in advance of the new one coming out and really enjoying it.

About half way through, and then it got fecking removed from gamepass? What the hell is that all about when the 2nd game is coming to Gamepass in a month? idiotic stuff.

Think that's the one shitty thing about GP for me, you don't own anything on it and stuff you want to play (apart from MS studios titles, of which, let's face it, there's feck all recently) can disappear at any time.

Fully Fledged

I was playing the first A Plague Tale in advance of the new one coming out and really enjoying it.

About half way through, and then it got fecking removed from gamepass? What the hell is that all about when the 2nd game is coming to Gamepass in a month? idiotic stuff.

Think that's the one shitty thing about GP for me, you don't own anything on it and stuff you want to play (apart from MS studios titles, of which, let's face it, there's feck all recently) can disappear at any time.
To be fair it has been in the leaving game pass que for at least a month.

Massive Spanner

To be fair it has been in the leaving game pass que for at least a month.
To be fair I don't like to spend my gaming time looking at what's leaving and to be fair I didn't expect a game with a sequel released on GP in a few weeks to go off GP because that's cnutish, to be fair.

Fully Fledged

I must admit if I was Xbox I'd buy Focus. APT:I was a good game and Requiem looks like it's probably a step up. That with Focus already making Flight Sim it would be a no brainer to me.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
To be fair I don't like to spend my gaming time looking at what's leaving and to be fair I didn't expect a game with a sequel released on GP in a few weeks to go off GP because that's cnutish, to be fair.
Think in quite a lot of these cases its more the devs/publishers deciding sales of the first might have a surge due to the 2nds release. Think its unlikely that MS weren't willing to keep it longer. Shit for you either way.

I do think there needs to be a better warning system when something is leaving.

Massive Spanner

Think in quite a lot of these cases its more the devs/publishers deciding sales of the first might have a surge due to the 2nds release. Think its unlikely that MS weren't willing to keep it longer. Shit for you either way.

I do think there needs to be a better warning system when something is leaving.
Yeah I’d assume that’s the case. Obviously MS won’t want it leaving. If it’s the devs then it’s an incredibly shitty thing to do. Especially as not a hope I’ll pay €40 for it on the Xbox store given it’s like a fiver for a steam key!

I don’t know why there isn’t something on your list of games that says it’s leaving soon. You have to actively go onto the Gamepass store and check the list of games leaving? That’s daft.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It would be nice if it had a warning pop up to say it's leaving game pass in 10 days or something when starting the game.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It would be nice if it had a warning pop up to say it's leaving game pass in 10 days or something when starting the game.
Yeah or just a ribbon on the banner/game icon that people would hopefully notice any time they're booting the game. I guess those using quick resume might not notice it.

Simple features either way.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd like to see them implement Neurolink so if you even think about playing a game they let you know if it might be leaving Gamepass soon

b82REZ

This is one of the main reasons I can't get excited by the shift to game streaming services. I've used the analogy before, it's just a glorified rental system.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Renting is fine in a lot of instances but for games I just don't feel it works. Plus generally speaking I prefer to own my games, although I recognize I'm a dying breed.
I've played a lot of stuff I wouldn't otherwise though (one being A Plague Tale actually). I think they often have discounts on games leaving GP too, or they used to anyway.

redcucumber

Renting is fine in a lot of instances but for games I just don't feel it works. Plus generally speaking I prefer to own my games, although I recognize I'm a dying breed.
I feel like games are a good example of when renting works, from my POV. Like Veeva said, there are a fecktonne of games that exist nowadays that GP bring mass exposure to. People typically live busy lives and a) don't have enough free time to dedicate towards gaming and researching which games are available and specifically tickle their fancy, and b) don't want to (regularly) spend £30-70 on one game. GP introduced me to Hades and I'll definitely be buying it now it's left GP. The system works for me, though that's predicated on the fact that I did the workaround to get 3 years for a tenner or whatever it is.

redcucumber

Psychonauts 2 is ridiculously good. Not seen it mentioned much here (came out awhile ago now tbf) but it's fecking great. It's got a proper old school feel to it, it captures the magic of what gaming used to be like but also feels modern and different. One of my favourite releases in years.

b82REZ

I feel like games are a good example of when renting works, from my POV. Like Veeva said, there are a fecktonne of games that exist nowadays that GP bring mass exposure to. People typically live busy lives and a) don't have enough free time to dedicate towards gaming and researching which games are available and specifically tickle their fancy, and b) don't want to (regularly) spend £30-70 on one game. GP introduced me to Hades and I'll definitely be buying it now it's left GP. The system works for me, though that's predicated on the fact that I did the workaround to get 3 years for a tenner or whatever it is.
For casual gamers it's undoubtedly a good proposition. However I'm on record over multiple threads on here stating MS current business model for GP simply isn't sustainable; your three years for a tenner is proof of that. One day that bubble will burst and MS will want to start seeing a return on their investments. There's no way they spend the best part of 100 billion to allow gamers to access the content for next to nothing.

Also devs are getting shafted by this model which is absolutely not a good thing in the long run.

Massive Spanner

This is one of the main reasons I can't get excited by the shift to game streaming services. I've used the analogy before, it's just a glorified rental system.
Ah I dunno. Gamepass is still pretty great and those are very rare occurrences. And it’s not really a rental system for MS studio games, but unfortunately there aren’t enough of those yet. EA games seem to stay on there for life too. And as veeva said I’ve played a lot of stuff I otherwise wouldn’t have.

It’s a great service, but as you say, I don’t think they can sustain this price for a lot longer, as rich as MS are. These studio acquisitions are a double edged sword, once all these big exclusives finally start coming out there will definitely be changes, so let’s see

b82REZ

Ah I dunno. Gamepass is still pretty great and those are very rare occurrences. And it’s not really a rental system for MS studio games, but unfortunately there aren’t enough of those yet. EA games seem to stay on there for life too. And as veeva said I’ve played a lot of stuff I otherwise wouldn’t have.

It’s a great service, but as you say, I don’t think they can sustain this price for a lot longer, as rich as MS are. These studio acquisitions are a double edged sword, once all these big exclusives finally start coming out there will definitely be changes, so let’s see
Like I said it's good for more casual gamers or people who missed a generation.

MS exclusives just simply aren't a selling point. For me personally they are rarely my cup of tea, but as you alluded to they just don't really exist. They've ran their main IP into the ground now and far too much hope is being placed on Bethesda returning to form.

There will be a banger eventually but with MS always being intrinsically linked to PC means their games are always available immediately on superior hardware.

Massive Spanner

MS exclusives just simply aren't a selling point. For me personally they are rarely my cup of tea, but as you alluded to they just don't really exist. They've ran their main IP into the ground now and far too much hope is being placed on Bethesda returning to form.

There will be a banger eventually but with MS always being intrinsically linked to PC means their games are always available immediately on superior hardware.
There have been a few good ones but this year has been poor.

I don’t know about casual. Me and my friend are far from casual gamers and we’ve both said we use Gamepass far more than any other platform to play games. It’s actually great if you have both a pc and Xbox. My ps5 largely gathers dust unless there’s a new Sony exclusive out.

b82REZ

There have been a few good ones but this year has been poor.

I don’t know about casual. Me and my friend are far from casual gamers and we’ve both said we use Gamepass far more than any other platform to play games. It’s actually great if you have both a pc and Xbox.
It wasn't aimed at you. I just meant in general. I wouldn't consider anybody in here as casual.

I've no doubt you'll uncover a gem from time to time, but that could happen on Humble Choice, and then you own the game as well.

Fully Fledged

I think they are happy for this to be the case.

b82REZ

I think they are happy for this to be the case.
But that will always limit their hardware sales.

Why buy a Series X when you can play the games on better hardware? At least Sony have the forethought to give it a year or so before porting first party titles to PC.