xG and finishing under ETH

• Based on the club's statement regarding Mason Greenwood, the site's current policy will continue until further clarity about the player's future is known.

So to reiterate, all discussions about Mason Greenwood remain off limits.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Going into today we had scored 23 goals from 21.3 xG. So it remains the case that our aggregate finishing had been fine.

The issue is reflected in the xG itself, where we were 9th in the league going into today.

Hopefully we'll create more as we get to actually use our first-choice attack which we've rarely been able to this season.
And that is the topic we should be focusing on now. Our finishing this season has been fine, or more than fine. I don't recall games in which we've lost points because of underperforming to accumulated xG (in Europa League I think it might have happened). We definitely had games where we over performed.

Football world is obsessed with finishing every chance that arrives, but to be honest I don't see us improving significantly in this regard unless we do get top level striker (but that seems unlikely at the moment).

I'm not particularly impressed with xG we accumulate in games, but that undoubtedly is being tackled now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
And that is the topic we should be focusing on now. Our finishing this season has been fine, or more than fine. I don't recall games in which we've lost points because of underperforming to accumulated xG (in Europa League I think it might have happened). We definitely had games where we over performed.

Football world is obsessed with finishing every chance that arrives, but to be honest I don't see us improving significantly in this regard unless we do get top level striker (but that seems unlikely at the moment).

I'm not particularly impressed with xG we accumulate in games, but that undoubtedly is being tackled now.
Yeah I think we are steadily creating more chances, and even if Martial is meh, we still create far more with him in the side. Getting everyone fit and firing and more time will help, but undoubtedly we'll need a top tier attacker to help be a difference maker for us and that's the next step.

Newtonius

Don't care to look for stats but would be surprised if stamford bridge wasn't one of them, should have won that match in the first half just to rescue a point in the dying minutes. I mean there was several clear cut chances like Garnacho had yesterday alone.

Last edited:

Basa1987

Chelsea away and Newcastle at home come to mind.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Chelsea away and Newcastle at home come to mind.
Don't care to look for stats but would be surprised if stamford bridge wasn't one of them, should have won that match in the first half just to rescue a point in the dying minutes. I mean there was several clear cut chances like Garnacho had yesterday alone.
Purely by what stats say, we had xG=0,8 in both games, so you could make a case for Newcastle game (goalless draw), not so much for Chelsea (I remember we had some decent chances, 1-1 final score).

Anyway, I didn't have a feeling we fully deserved to win those games as in both cases the opponent had similar xG or higher.

Actually we seem to be performing pretty close to accumulated xG game to game, so we should definitely be focusing on improving chances creation rather than clinical finishing.

X