xG and finishing under ETH

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Apparently our xG at half time was better than any other team in the league has managed in any fixture this season. I guess that particular stat was far too positive to get a mention by the thread starter.
What exactly is your problem? Do you think I monitor or come across every xG stat in the world? If you saw a stat like that, what stopped you from bumping this thread with it?

The thread has been quiet for weeks despite Everton having a better xG than us and Newcastle battering us in the previous two games. I bumped the thread with a positive stat. Yet you seem to have an issue with that.

I'll have to put you on ignore if you continue with these constant and petty wum attempts because I don't want to be banned getting riled up by utter garbage posts like these ones.

witchtrials

What is that you don't understand about xG? I will explain in simple terms.
Why people think it is an objective statistic like fouls conceded or offsides, rather than a predictive model that makes educated guesses based on a particular set of assumptions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What exactly is your problem? Do you think I monitor or come across every xG stat in the world? If you saw a stat like that, what stopped you from bumping this thread with it?

The thread has been quiet for weeks despite Everton having a better xG than us and Newcastle battering us in the previous two games. I bumped the thread with a positive stat. Yet you seem to have an issue with that.

I'll have to put you on ignore if you continue with these constant and petty wum attempts because I don't want to be banned getting riled up by utter garbage posts like these ones.
:lol: The wummer wum'd.

kundalini

Understat have shot maps (PL games only) for each player with the option to show a single season, so you can compare where they were shooting from last season to this season. The size of the circle indicates the expected goal value of the attempt and the colour tells you whether it was off-target, saved, blocked, hit woodwork or goal.

From this, I suspect that a Garnacho/Rashford Hojlund Antony attack, with McTominay looking to get in the box, will create big chances for Hojlund and McTominay, while Garnacho/Rashford/Antony will be relying on super finishes and shot volume from low percentage zones. Many of those chances will be created by Fernandes.

Last season Rashford scored 10 PL goals from about 16 shots/headers taken from a central position directly in front of the goal, within a range of 10 yards. This season he has taken 3 shots from that zone, failing to score. If that rate continued and he started most PL games, you'd be looking at about 8 attempts during the season, though whether he played wide or as the central striker, could make a significant difference.

Hojlund 6 shots from central position directly in front of goal, within a range of 10 yards. McTominay 5 attempts from this zone (boosted by Chelsea match). Both have 300 fewer PL mins than Rashford. If Ten Hag persists with them as regular starters, then 15+ attempts from this zone over the course of a season seems realistic.

Garnacho's shots, both this season and last season, came from an angle or further than 10 yards. There is one shot that might just be within the zone I'm focusing on. Antony had 1 goal from 3 attempts in this zone last season, just 1 attempt this season; he takes a lot of low percentage shots from near the edge of the area and from an angle inside the area.

Of course it is perfectly possible to score goals from further out and from an angle but those will typically be super finishes or errors from the keeper. Occasionally an attempt from further out will be a big chance, such as a player through on goal.

Last edited:

Hammondo

Because it's not a statistic. It's made up nonsense.
It's a statistic and it is made up, but most statistics are when doing analysis tbh.

It's clearly not very accurate, but it does give an idea about the chances made.

mancsarered

People can look back at a game and say, " if we would have taken our chances there the result would be different" but cant wrap their heads around a stat that measures it.

Reactions: berbatrick

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
How are people still arguing about xG? It's not perfect, but there are two incredibly useful things you can infer from it:
1. If you average significantly higher xG than your opponents, over time, you will finish towards the top of the league
2. If an individual player significantly under or over performs their xG (primarily striker/keeper) over time, that player is the variable. Similarly, if a random player suddenly outperforms their xG for 3 months but never has for 5 years, you should trust the longer term view.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
People can look back at a game and say, " if we would have taken our chances there the result would be different" but cant wrap their heads around a stat that measures it.
It doesn't measure chances, it measures the quality 8f of the shots taken.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If you think statistics can't/shouldn't be "made up" in the way xG is then you're in for a shock if you ever study statistics.
Football statistics is pretty objective though, unlike x stats that are subjective.

Corner is corner, shot on target and off target is clearly defined, yellow cards, red cards, penalty taken, passes attempted, etc.

90 + 5min

xG is complete nonsense.
I agree. You don't need xG to see what you see when teams play.

Also, while I understand xG and how it works it doesn't take any account for weather, if games are in the evening or at lunchtime, home/away, crowd and so on. Things that can be as important as some historical informations about shots. That I don't even know if it is correct.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We went into this weekend 12th in terms of xG difference, which fully aligns with the level of performances I've watched us put in this season. Ain't no solace to be found in the stats.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Maybe I drank too much, and Villa's openness played tricks with my mind but it didn't feel like this kind of game to me.

NLunited

xG is a very deceiving stat, especially with all those offsides.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Villa had good chances outside the goals scored. It's not a performance to get that excited about.

The Hilton

xG is a very deceiving stat, especially with all those offsides.
It can be really useful, but it has a couple of huge limitations - firstly, it's only based on goal attempts made, so a player stood in front of an open goal is 0 xG until he takes a shot, and secondly it includes any chances that are ruled out at the time but allows those that wouldn't have counted if they aren't actively ruled out (e.g. a clearly offside chance that's missed).

The issue isn't with xG by itself, it's a very useful stat, the issue is with people who use it as the only stat to explain how a match went or how a team is playing, a great example being Sky Sports who seem to have just discovered it, and will sum up an entire match based on the accumulated xG of each team.

NLunited

It can be really useful, but it has a couple of huge limitations - firstly, it's only based on goal attempts made, so a player stood in front of an open goal is 0 xG until he takes a shot, and secondly it includes any chances that are ruled out at the time but allows those that wouldn't have counted if they aren't actively ruled out (e.g. a clearly offside chance that's missed).

The issue isn't with xG by itself, it's a very useful stat, the issue is with people who use it as the only stat to explain how a match went or how a team is playing, a great example being Sky Sports who seem to have just discovered it, and will sum up an entire match based on the accumulated xG of each team.
Yes. The disallowed goal doesn’t contribute to xG I believe, but it was only a fraction offside (was it offside? Never saw the lines).

The same for the other 1v1 chances that were offside.

NLunited

Villa had good chances outside the goals scored. It's not a performance to get that excited about.
It is, the manner in which we overcame two dumb conceded goals and ripped Villa’s high line to shreds is thrilling. Enjoy the result and up to
the next one.

Revan

Assumptionman
It is, the manner in which we overcame two dumb conceded goals and ripped Villa’s high line to shreds is thrilling. Enjoy the result and up to
the next one.
It is to be excited, the attacking play was very good. We scored 3 goals after 7 hours of not being able to score a single one. We scored another one that was a marginal offside.

On the other hand, Villa could have easily scored 4 goals (Evans block and Onana’s great save), so we are extremely vulnerable at the back. Despite Villa’s suicidal high-line they could have easily won, as xG shows.

The question is if we will be able to build from this, essentially continue this good attacking play and improve in defense, or will we go back to shit again. If I was a betting man, I would bet on the later.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Maybe I drank too much, and Villa's openness played tricks with my mind but it didn't feel like this kind of game to me.
Single game xG misses a lot of things. They did have a few clear chances though so that's fair. Our chances often ended in bad final ball or not the best shot selection, or offside so that's not represented in the numbers.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
This is why I hate stats and you can't judge a game by stats. We absolutely dominated them for 90 mins and yet, I fecking see that.

Crap !

mu4c_20le

Disallowed goals and offside chances don't count, and we were caught 9 times last night.