Yerry Mina - Everton Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr3yham3

Why do people keep saying we are signing him based solely off the WC? Our scouts are not dumb. My guess is that we have scouted him before he even moved to Barca.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
If he's coming and Rojo is going then it looks like costing us around 15m.

I would be happy enough with that and will give him every chance before starting to slag him off.

Now let's get a RW in before the deadline and it ain't too shabby.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Today there have been one poster claiming Mina is faster than Smalling and another poster claiming he's slower than Blind.

From one extreme to another. :lol:

So which is it?

ChaddyP

He's a lot better than fans on here are giving him credit for.

In comparison, here's a video of Smalling from last season:
Bar maybe aerial ability and on the ball, Smalling looks quite superior though.
Feck me we should sign this guy. Such speed, such aggression, such passing :drool:

We probably couldn't afford him though. Player with that ability would cost about 70+

Infra-red

If he's coming and Rojo is going then it looks like costing us around 15m.

I would be happy enough with that and will give him every chance before starting to slag him off.

Now let's get a RW in before the deadline and it ain't too shabby.
I'm still vaguely hopeful that more-or-less swapping Rojo for Mina (as opposed to spending £75m on Maguire/Alderweireld), might mean we can squeeze a LB into our budget afterall... we shall see.

gr3yham3

Today there have been one poster claiming Mina is faster than Smalling and another one claiming he's slower than Blind.

So which is it?
Not sure. I don't think he is faster than Smalling based off the limited videos. But faster than Blind. Just that his bulk and leg length makes him seem slow, kinda like Pogba.

Infra-red

Today there have been one poster claiming Mina is faster than Smalling and another poster claiming he's slower than Blind.

So which is it?
As always with these things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. In fairness, Smalling is exceptionally quick for a player of his size.

EyeInTheSky

I find it weird to see Mina in those highlights setting up the strikers with deft chipped passes and through balls. Just looks weird :lol:

Mina is better on the ball, on the dribble, in the air and on the pass. I could not tell you about out and out pace or tacking though. I just think Smalling has more experience and plays in a system that he is used to. I would be interested to see them play together. Try getting passed that lot ffs :devil:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Does my comment really warrant going personal? Aren't there rules against all that?

Also do you think that any of our CBs is anywhere near to WC? Don't you see it appropriate for the biggest club in the world to have to rely on 33 year old makeshift wingers as their first team full backs?
Agreed - I mean whoever won anything with a back four all over 30, a 39 year old CM and a 40 year old winger? Just can't happen.

SER19

I like rojo and can only hope Mina is an upgrade both in terms of availability and less tendency to be rash. One area we are crying out for defensively which Mina seems to be good at even in the little I have seen of him, is an aerial presence. We too often look very tentative when defending set pieces or even crosses from open play (smalling seems to have games where he looks fantastic at this then others where he looks like the ball is lined with anthrax) and having somebody attack the ball would be a welcome change. If he’s not a huge upgrade on rojo then we’re gambling on his potential and will continue to use what we have at the back if he struggles.

SER19

Why do people keep saying we are signing him based solely off the WC? Our scouts are not dumb. My guess is that we have scouted him before he even moved to Barca.
Indeed possibly at the same time Barca judged him to be worth signing

There are lots of great players out there who for whatever reason failed at a top club then made it elsewhere. If this happens here, then in today’s market he could prove to be a bargain

United Pro

Feck me we should sign this guy. Such speed, such aggression, such passing :drool:

We probably couldn't afford him though. Player with that ability would cost about 70+
Genuinely can't tell if sarcasm (bar maybe the passing part). Smalling is very underrated by most United fans. He's limited on the ball, but defensively he's very good.
I find it weird to see Mina in those highlights setting up the strikers with deft chipped passes and through balls. Just looks weird :lol:

Mina is better on the ball, on the dribble, in the air and on the pass. I could not tell you about out and out pace or tacking though. I just think Smalling has more experience and plays in a system that he is used to. I would be interested to see them play together. Try getting passed that lot ffs :devil:
Yes, Mina looks better on the ball (dribbling and passing), but Smalling looks better defensively (aggressively winning the ball back and makes less mistakes generally). Keep in mind that Smalling is up against much stronger opposition than Mina is in the videos. The question is, is Mina much of an upgrade to what we have already? This seems like a bit of a sideways transfer that we did a fair bit under LVG.

AndyJ1985

Our scouts aren't dumb? Have you seen the list of poor signings we've made in the last few years?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
With our current squad I definitely understand that thinking, especially with our lack of natural right sided wingers. At the moment, you'd have Valencia, Young and Shaw competing for those two wing back spots, lots of bodies in central defence to minimise risk and allow us to bring the ball out, Pogba would be more free to push forward, and Lukaku may not be so isolated at times. Sanchez playing just off him could be delicious. One of the biggest risks would be teams getting in behind Valencia and Young, who are think need to be replaced, but it's never going to happen this window and 4 at the back does make me a little nervous.
Dalot too

EyeInTheSky

Genuinely can't tell if sarcasm (bar maybe the passing part). Smalling is very underrated by most United fans. He's limited on the ball, but defensively he's very good.

Yes, Mina looks better on the ball (dribbling and passing), but Smalling looks better defensively (aggressively winning the ball back and makes less mistakes generally). Keep in mind that Smalling is up against much stronger opposition than Mina is in the videos. The question is, is Mina much of an upgrade to what we have already? This seems like a bit of a sideways transfer that we did a fair bit under LVG.
Obviously we are talking hypothetically here because we don't know if this is true but I kept in mind that this guy might have been scouted and identifies as having a higher ceiling that the known quantities we have right now. Pure speculation on my part based on what we have to go on. Pure gut feeling that between him and Smalling we would be better off than the constant injury prone and chaos setup with all the chopping and changing in our CB week in week out.

Ekeke

Well of course Smalling is hes one of the best CBs in the league. And CBs who arent among the best in the league are valued at £65 million+. The question is would Mina and Smalling cover each others weaknesses?

Mina's might be pace and consistantly defending at a very high level. Those are Smalling's strengths

Smalling's might be a bit of ball playing and occasionally not doing great on defensive set pieces where an opponent good in the air might win a header. That would seemingly be one of Mina's strengths, being absolutely top class in the air.

I think at least in theory they would be an extremely intimidating and solid defensive unit. And other than maybe Guardiola who might want Pirlo at CB, most other managers would be happy.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
your better off having a look at him yourself at the all be it limited footage and highlights and making up your own mind. At the very least you will dispel the "slow and turns like a lorry" typical jibes thrown out by others. Some of us realise that defenders that are not 5 foot nothing and turn like Beckenbauer or cruyff are not necessarily dead hippos on the pitch.

A the end of the day they do not have access to any more data than you or anyone else.
Yeah I agree, from the little I've seen from him he didn't strike me as particularly slow, but sometimes it can be deceptive. And I guess even if he would not be that fast, it doesn't have to mean anything.

I assume this guy got on Barca's radar when they were scouting and trying to sign Davinson Sanchez before he ended up at Ajax. Honestly I didn't realise he was a Barca player and like a couple of other people earlier in this thread I got really curious about him during the World Cup, one of the first things that crossed my mind is that we should be looking at him. But usually it's not exactly a great idea to sign players based on that.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yes, of course, it doesn't change the fact that you have ten men in front of them whose job when they don't have the ball is to try and stop their goalkeepers from having to do much.

Of course having a good goalkeeper is a good thing, your entire defensive solidity being based on that goalkeeper doing a huge amount of work – less so.

Besides, the idea that we had a particularly good defence last season simply fails the eye test.
Not every save made is as a result of a defensive error.
So it's a simplistic argument to suggest that just because he made the most saves means that our defence doesn't deserve plaudits.

Again - going by your logic, you are suggesting that Atletico's defence isn't good enough and overly reliant on Oblak.
You can see how ridiculous that sounds right? I would take Godin, Giminez, Luis happily.

Ter Stegan made the 5th most saves too btw, so surely Barca's defence isn't good enough either. Despite finishing well off the pace, Navas made the 14th most amount of saves - so I wonder why they finished so low in comparison.

We had a good defence, our defenders made some comical errors - which are easy to remember, but overall we are an incredibly difficult team to score against, even without DDG.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Does our transfer record over the last 6 years fill you with confidence?

People are getting peeved off with comparisons to City and Liverpool. I can understand that. But I can also understand the comparisons.

City had glaring holes at FB and CB and went out and got the best available and paid a premium. Liverpool had glaring holes in GK, CB and CM and they went out and signed some of the best available for premium prices.

Not only are we neglecting our shite areas again, but even in the areas we are signing players, we're signing make do players.

Alderweireld is available and is quality. Pay the fecking fee and if we win a major trophy at the end of the year no one will care.
Mahrez and Malcom have been available this year and we have glaring problems in our wide areas. Yet we weren't even interested.

Pulisic seems available and all the talk is Chelsea or Liverpool.

I already know someone will reply saying Pulisic hasnt even moved and we could be interested.
A. Yes we could be.
B. Don't ignore the rest of the post.
C. I'll repeat, I have little faith in our transfer policy and that's been pretty much the same story since 2009.

Kostov

So you have seen him? He’s not good?
We were watching that Levante match in which he looked bad, I also watched him at at World Cup, that’s of course not enough to form an opinion over a 23 year old CB. It was banter more than anything else.

gr3yham3

Our scouts aren't dumb? Have you seen the list of poor signings we've made in the last few years?
To be fair, most of us were excited when we made those signings. As to why some failed, that's not really up to the scouts, no?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Agreed - I mean whoever won anything with a back four all over 30, a 39 year old CM and a 40 year old winger? Just can't happen.
Those players had more talent individually then all our defenders put together

Patrick08

Really didn't understand our lack of interest in either, especially Mahrez.
Mourinho's preference of workhorse over flair is the sole reason, and in the end, doubt he'll be getting his creative workhorse either.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We were watching that Levante match in which he looked bad, I also watched him at at World Cup, that’s of course not enough to form an opinion over a 23 year old CB. It was banter more than anything else.
So you were making fun of your friend for signing a donkey based on 1 game and a World Cup where he was one of the most outstanding defenders?

podurban2

Our chief scout just left and all our ”interests” seem based on WC performances (Maguire, Rebic). There’s a possibility we are quite in a dissaray when it comes to scouting at the moment.

izec

Abundance of better young CBs out there. I get the whole we need an experienced leader back there, like Alderweireld or Bonucci, but to then sign Mina is the complete opposite. Maguire is better than him in every aspect and already settled in the league, even if a quite bit more costly. I would rather no Cb than Mina at this point. Save the money for next summer and go again.

NinjaFletch

Not every save made is as a result of a defensive error.
So it's a simplistic argument to suggest that just because he made the most saves means that our defence doesn't deserve plaudits.

Again - going by your logic, you are suggesting that Atletico's defence isn't good enough and overly reliant on Oblak.
You can see how ridiculous that sounds right? I would take Godin, Giminez, Luis happily.

Ter Stegan made the 5th most saves too btw, so surely Barca's defence isn't good enough either. Despite finishing well off the pace, Navas made the 14th most amount of saves - so I wonder why they finished so low in comparison.

We had a good defence, our defenders made some comical errors - which are easy to remember, but overall we are an incredibly difficult team to score against, even without DDG.
What's simplistic is to suggest that because we don't concede many goals therefore we must have a good defence.

Nor is my logic simply taking the amount of saves De Gea makes in isolation, it's combining it with other metrics including the most crucial one – watching us play – to come to a conclusion that our defensive record is incredibly reliant on De Gea to pull ridiculous saves out of his arse. A view Mourinho evidently shares.

If you think we'd cope fine with an average keeper instead of De Gea then fine, thankfully we haven't seen enough evidence to test your theory and I hope we don't have to for a long, long time. In the mean-time I'd rather build a top quality defence in front of our world class keeper.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What's simplistic is to suggest that because we don't concede many goals therefore we must have a good defence.

Nor is my logic simply taking the amount of saves De Gea makes in isolation, it's combining it with other metrics including the most crucial one – watching us play – to come to a conclusion that our defensive record is incredibly reliant on De Gea to pull ridiculous saves out of his arse. A view Mourinho evidently shares.

If you think we'd cope fine with an average keeper instead of De Gea then fine, thankfully we haven't seen enough evidence to test your theory and I hope we don't have to for a long, long time. In the mean-time I'd rather build a top quality defence in front of our world class keeper.
You don't consistently have one of the best defensive records in the league for 4 consecutive seasons and have an average defence.

Yeah DDG plays a vital part but there's no way in hell we'd have been this solid with "average defenders".

cyberman

He makes the most saves because we pay in a low block and its hard for defences to get behind us so sides take a lot more potshots against us. Arsenal away last year is a great example.
Its why people consider him as mainly a shot stopper, I honestly can't think of the last one on one that he faced for us.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Our chief scout just left and all our ”interests” seem based on WC performances (Maguire, Rebic). There’s a possibility we are quite in a dissaray when it comes to scouting at the moment.
Jim Lawlor is our chief scout. Our "interests" are what you're reading in the paper, not our actual interests. You didn't read anywhere about our interest in Dalot prior to the move, so I think people look way too much into our supposed scouting issues.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

I didn't conclude that - I said we are a difficult team to score against, because we are. Hence why we don't concede many goals, and teams struggle to create chances against us.
Even when DDG isn't in goal we don't concede many goals. We got to the Europa, Carling & FA Cup finals in the last two years using Romero.

You're making it sound as though DDG is under siege every game and that is not the case at all. Yes he has memorable WC saves, because he is a WC goalkeeper, that's his job.

VanGaalyTime

Abundance of better young CBs out there. I get the whole we need an experienced leader back there, like Alderweireld or Bonucci, but to then sign Mina is the complete opposite. Maguire is better than him in every aspect and already settled in the league, even if a quite bit more costly. I would rather no Cb than Mina at this point. Save the money for next summer and go again.
Exactly. De Ligt is another young defender who is miles ahead of Mina right now and would maybe cost 50m at the most.

United Pro

Obviously we are talking hypothetically here because we don't know if this is true but I kept in mind that this guy might have been scouted and identifies as having a higher ceiling that the known quantities we have right now. Pure speculation on my part based on what we have to go on. Pure gut feeling that between him and Smalling we would be better off than the constant injury prone and chaos setup with all the chopping and changing in our CB week in week out.
Agreed, it's difficult to tell how a player like Mina will perform until he joins. Mina is decent on the ball, but nothing special. If anything, it was one of his weak points at Barca (but of course the CB's there have to be very good on the ball).
Well of course Smalling is hes one of the best CBs in the league. And CBs who arent among the best in the league are valued at £65 million+. The question is would Mina and Smalling cover each others weaknesses?

Mina's might be pace and consistantly defending at a very high level. Those are Smalling's strengths

Smalling's might be a bit of ball playing and occasionally not doing great on defensive set pieces where an opponent good in the air might win a header. That would seemingly be one of Mina's strengths, being absolutely top class in the air.

I think at least in theory they would be an extremely intimidating and solid defensive unit. And other than maybe Guardiola who might want Pirlo at CB, most other managers would be happy.
I think a CB pairing of Smalling and Mina would lack technical ability tbh and we'd still be lacking a passer from the back. Mina looks impressive dribbling with the ball, as he's so physically dominant. But, on the ball he generally keeps it very simple- something all of our CB's can do very comfortably already. The CB we need is one with a solid passing range that can open up play for our attacking players and ease the burden on our midfield.

Saying all this, I still think we're working on a deal for Alderweireld.

VanGaalyTime

Yikes. Can you imagine a pairing of Smalling and Mina trying to dribble and pass from the back? If we get Mina, my only assumption is we are changing the formation and Fred will be the one controlling play from the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.