Yerry Mina - Everton Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaFletch

It's not solely down to DDG ffs.
Well, no, obviously.

But the simple facts of the matter are that De Gea made the fifth most saves in the Premier League last season, our supposedly 'top defence' is disproportionately reliant on the world class goalkeeper behind them to make saves compared to all the clubs around us.

It is pretty easy to see why we might want to address that.

Micky Targaryen

On the contrary, I'd prefer if we picked him more often. It's Mou who doesn't seem that convinced by him, which is apparently why he's chasing yet another young centreback after spending the best part of 65 million on Lindelof and Bailly.
Off the back of a good World cup performance, and a year of PL experience on his belt, I think Jose is ready to trust Lindelof more.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I remember when folks were talking about Lukaku's first touch and showing clips. I think those rival fans have shut up now. Mina is a very good defender and i'm sure we've done our home work to be able to judge properly.
Have u watched Belgium v England for the 3rd place?If u haven't watched it, watch it now.

dove

How did we get one of the best defensive records in consistently in the last 4 seasons with 5 average defenders?
By playing football without any risks. If we commit more people forward, we would be exposed like Arsenal.

kr0nix

You do understand the lower we go in the list the less good the player is according to the manager. Else he be listed higher in that list. So sure Mou might think he's an improvement to the tripe we've got available. However he might not have the necessary talent to make that much of a difference. The alternative to that is for the manager to just pull the plug on the transfer market and lie about being happy with the squad. We've heard that bell again and again hasn't we? Biggest club in the world indeed.
OK, but where do you think Bailly and Lindelof fit into this equation? Were they first choice or last choice when he bought them?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
By playing football without any risks. If we commit more people forward, we would be exposed like Arsenal.
Fecking hell the extent people are happy to go to in avoiding giving our defence any form of credit. They did well. We don't have bad defenders. They aren't average either. They're good ffs. I'd trust Smalling to defend over Stones and Otamendi any day. Throw any Arsenal centre back into the mix, even Rudiger, Luiz etc.

EyeInTheSky

you bunch of twonks don't know what you are talking about. What other defender do you know can dribble the ball the length of the pitch like Messi and perform chest control like Fellaini followed by an overhead kick outside the box that Ronaldo would be proud of(around 8:10)??

:drool:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Well, no, obviously.

But the simple facts of the matter are that De Gea made the fifth most saves in the Premier League last season, our supposedly 'top defence' is disproportionately reliant on the world class goalkeeper behind them to make saves compared to all the clubs around us.

It is pretty easy to see why we might want to address that.
Are goalkeepers not meant to.. save goals?

Oblak made the 2nd most saves in La Liga last season, surely Atletico's defence is terrible too? By that logic.
& That's despite Atletico being a pretty defensive team, yet I'm sure everyone here would take most of their defenders.

SammyUnited_83

Do you really think that we are in a position to gamble on a CB considering we don't have a single world class one at our club?
This would be one of the stupidest signings we have ever made. Barca and us is not his level. Guy is an accident waiting to happen.
You know this from the games you have seen him play? I'm just interested because he looked decent at the WC?

EyeInTheSky

Why does everyone hate him so much?
Every single player we are rumored to be after is hated on to one extent or another. It's the same crowd who want the unattainable players either due to Madrid and Barca not wanting to sell or a fee greater than the GDP of a small country. However you will find that they want the youth team players who they throw under the buss after a few minutes on the pitch in a pre-season training session to be a permanent fixture in the same squad. For some reason they can't quite seem to grasp that one is to the detriment of the other. How they square that circle is something to behold.

Infestissumam

whichever way you slice it - paying 30-40m on the back of a handful WC games for a player who cost 10m only a few months ago would simply be asinine.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
you bunch of twonks don't know what you are talking about. What other defender do you know can dribble the ball the length of the pitch like Messi and perform chest control like Fellaini followed by an overhead kick outside the box that Ronaldo would be proud of(around 8:10)??

Great video tbf, that overhead kick was beautiful

EyeInTheSky

Oblak made the 2nd most saves in La Liga last season, surely Atletico's defence is terrible too? By that logic.
& That's despite Atletico being a pretty defensive team, yet I'm sure everyone here would take most of their defenders.
You would think...

This is the problem with simplistic thinking which happens to lend itself well to confirmation bias. I think some people are missing the fact is that good goalkeepers make saves that other keepers don't make which would add to their numbers in that particular stat.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This the guy with the huge feet?

He played a good world cup, don’t buy him for it.

He's certainly not afraid to come out with the ball, which will help. Looks like he runs with the ball pretty fast, once he gets going. Kind of like a young Sol Campbell, in style.

I am still not clear as to whether he is a bad passer, or just does not have the passing skills to fit Barca's Tiki-Taka hybrid.

Nick.

This just indicates the club had a poor plan (assuming there was a plan at all) going into the market. Couldn't get Alderweireld, fine. But you switch to Maguire because of WC performance, then switch to Mina because of WC performances too? Where was the strategy? Just pick whoever stands out at this competition? This club is run so poorly

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Wonder if Barca would be open to the idea of a loan with an option to buy, since he cannot even be registered to play for them next season (apparently).

That gives us a year to see how he gets on.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
So would paying £50mil for Alderweireld, or £70mil for Maguire.
£50m for Alderweireld, arguably the league's best CB when fit, seems reasonable to me, given he still has 3-4 good seasons in him. I'd certainly rather it to Mina ot Maguire for their prices.

The reason people seem to flinch over that fee is because he's available for half that next summer.

El-Manos

What an underwhelming window :lol:. If someone said we’d be signing Dalot, Fred , Grant and Mina this place would have laughed it off.

Infestissumam

So would paying £50mil for Alderweireld, or £70mil for Maguire.
fair enough. I firmly believe that both of those players would drastically improve our back line though ... I don't think Mina would, but I'll happily eat crow if he does. Just strikes me as another underwhelming CB signing though, which is frustrating considering the options we already have.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You would think...

This is the problem with simplistic thinking which happens to lend itself well to confirmation bias. I think some people are missing the fact is that good goalkeepers make saves that other keepers don't make which would add to their numbers in that particular stat.
Exactly, great points. It's important not to lose sight of perspective, or not analyse statistics without applying common sense to them.

EyeInTheSky

Great video tbf, that overhead kick was beautiful
If I was to come up with a summary of him based on what little we have to view and snippet/highlights from youtube it would be:

He is as agile, athletic, composed, dynamic, powerful, fast, technical as a 6'5 football player could possibly be. Right on the limit where it would just be unfair if he was any better in those aspects with that height and weight advantage :lol:

He also uses his physical traits to his advantage defensively as well. But this is all among some very good spatial awareness and intelligent passing going forward with great accuracy to. While you can't feck with him physical he is by no means just a power house or physical menace.

I would be very interested to see what Jose can do with him as well.

EyeInTheSky

He's certainly not afraid to come out with the ball, which will help. Looks like he runs with the ball pretty fast, once he gets going. Kind of like a young Sol Campbell, in style.

I am still not clear as to whether he is a bad passer, or just does not have the passing skills to fit Barca's Tiki-Taka hybrid.
Good call. I am guessing that he would need more time than the few months he had to fit into that. There have been far smaller and more technical players who have needed a good while to adjust to that.

tidraKS

Wonder if Barca would be open to the idea of a loan with an option to buy, since he cannot even be registered to play for them next season (apparently).

That gives us a year to see how he gets on.
This would be a great idea, but don't think Barca would like that since also Everton and Wolves are interested in him, and the loan option could eventually lower his price if we wouldn't take the option to buy.

NinjaFletch

Yes, of course, it doesn't change the fact that you have ten men in front of them whose job when they don't have the ball is to try and stop their goalkeepers from having to do much.

Of course having a good goalkeeper is a good thing, your entire defensive solidity being based on that goalkeeper doing a huge amount of work – less so.

Besides, the idea that we had a particularly good defence last season simply fails the eye test.

You would think...

I mean that would be fine and all as an explanation if the numbers were close, but they weren't. De Gea made over two times as many saves as Ederson (who is himself a good goalkeeper) and our xGA (whatever the respective merits of that stat and how its used in online debates) shows that we were allowing shots from dangerous positions.

I honestly think people have become blind to simply how good a goalkeeper De Gea is and have become complacent to the multitude of sins his brilliance is covering.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
If I was to come up with a summary of him based on what little we have to view and snippet/highlights from youtube it would be:

He is as agile, athletic, composed, dynamic, powerful, fast, technical as a 6'5 football player could possibly be. Right on the limit where it would just be unfair if he was any better in those aspects with that height and weight advantage :lol:

He also uses his physical traits to his advantage defensively as well. But this is all among some very good spatial awareness and intelligent passing going forward with great accuracy to. While you can't feck with him physical he is by no means just a power house or physical menace.

I would be very interested to see what Jose can do with him as well.
What's interesting is that I've read very contradicting assessments. For every person saying he's dynamic and fast there's someone claiming he's slow and turns like a lorry.

EyeInTheSky

Exactly, great points. It's important not to lose sight of perspective, or not analyse statistics without applying common sense to them.
Yep, some goals go in where you say "keeper had no chance" and some of these the greatest keepers save which obviously ups their numbers where they had "no right to save that". It is what separates them and the rest.

The Mad Manc

I have a sneaking suspicion Shaw has actually impressed Mourinho in training and that we are counting on him. I remember him before his injury during the Van Gaal era. If we can get him back to that form we are in fantastic shape on that position.
That is a BIG if my friend. I would love nothing more than for Shaw to succeed and be our long-term LB but I have serious doubts. He's looked quite poor to me in pre-season and then there's Young and Demi Mitchell as other options. Not good enough for a title tilt in my opinion.

Alex Sandro is a no-brainer for me.

United Pro

He's a lot better than fans on here are giving him credit for.

In comparison, here's a video of Smalling from last season:
Bar maybe aerial ability and on the ball, Smalling looks quite superior though.

Kapardin

Even if we don't sign a RW or FB, a proper ball playing CB could be crucial to altering our current tepid style of play and elevating it a notch.

That is why I want our CB signing, if that's the only position we are addressing, to be carefully chosen. Besides being able to defend reasonably well, I don't want a player limited on the ball. Hopefully the club have done their homework on Mina if it is indeed him we are getting.

Infra-red

For those worried about his Barca performances, they play with a high line and split CBs, which requires their central defenders to be quick and excellent in 1v1s.

We play with a low block. Our CBs are relatively static and are expected to remain close to eachother at all times.

Mina's attributes are far more suited to our system than Barca's.

EyeInTheSky

What's interesting is that I've read very contradicting assessments. For every person saying he's dynamic and fast there's someone claiming he's slow and turns like a lorry.
your better off having a look at him yourself at the all be it limited footage and highlights and making up your own mind. At the very least you will dispel the "slow and turns like a lorry" typical jibes thrown out by others. Some of us realise that defenders that are not 5 foot nothing and turn like Beckenbauer or cruyff are not necessarily dead hippos on the pitch.

A the end of the day they do not have access to any more data than you or anyone else.

Frank Grimes

whichever way you slice it - paying 30-40m on the back of a handful WC games for a player who cost 10m only a few months ago would simply be asinine.
We're close to selling Rojo for 30m. English clubs operate under a different paradigm to other European clubs, regarding transfer fees. The day of 15m signings is becoming a thing of the past. The TV money has inflated things to a mind boggling degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.