Yerry Mina - Everton Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemansky

Am I in the minority in that I'm excited we are signing him?

And honestly no...aside from the World Cup, I haven't seen him play much :houllier:
I am also quite excited about this signing. I have read some reports on him from before he moved to Barca and they are all really good.

If Leicester, Soton or Everton picked this guy up and he was great for them we would be linked with him for double the money we are talking now. And people would question why we did not buy him for cheaper when we had the chance.

Imo this is a player that is worth the risk. Good age, tall, strong, scores goals on set pieces and has the potential to get a lot better. I much prefer this than paying through the roof after dealing with Levy and Spurs. I hope the club is patient and pick Toby up cheap next year.

kr0nix

Thank goodness people on a football forum know better than one of the most successful managers in the game.

I was all set to trust Jose on whoever we buy, but now I'm all turned around on the topic.

Dis as ter darling.
You've sold me. Jose knows a good CB when he sees one, which is why Lindelof Mina will be a great success.

SammyUnited_83

Looking forward to seeing him in the red shirt.

Think he will become a fans favorite, looked class in the WC and Tim Vickery (who knows his stuff) has always rated him.

Definitely worth the gamble.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What a sad, angry and frustrating life you must lead.

Enjoy.
Does my comment really warrant going personal? Aren't there rules against all that?

Also do you think that any of our CBs is anywhere near to WC? Don't you see it appropriate for the biggest club in the world to have to rely on 33 year old makeshift wingers as their first team full backs?

devilish

You've sold me. Jose knows a good CB when he sees one, which is why Lindelof Mina will be a great success.
Mou does know his stuff about CBs. However even the greatest of manager would struggle with a Plan C or D and Mina is all about. Which is making me truly rethink my views about all managers we had in the past 5-6 years. Can we really blame SAF, Moyes, LVG and Mou if we ended up with sub standard players? Or isn't the case of the club failing to bring the players we need forcing the respective managers to dig deep in their list?

Andersons Dietician

Kinda seems like buying a player for the sake of buying a player but hopefully he does well here if he comes and can solidify a position alongside Smalling and hopefully he doesn’t just end up sitting on a bench for the year.
You would have thought if we were buying anyone in this area it’s probably the one place where an old experienced head would be a good buy.

Castia

Most underwhelming signing in a while, surely he's not even on Rojo's level.

I don't believe this guy was on our shortlist, we've literally watched him have 2-3 good world cup games and decided to make an offer, our scouting/transfer team in a nutshell.

We'll be in the same position next year, still needing a CB after spending a ridiculous amount of money on Bailly, Lindelof and Mina we should just pay up and buy a proper CB.

Hoof the ball

Yerry Mina:

"I started betting with Messi and Suárez to see who would kick the best free kicks in training. I just wanted to see them. I soon realized, every day they were taking 50 euros away from me."

MrBest

Only seen him play a handful of times and that was at the world cup, he was brilliant. I don't know what has gone in at Barca but in 5 games you cannot be considered a flop if you have been there for 8 months.he is young tall powerful, i dont think he is that bad on the ball and has the potential to be good. At 35m it is a great deal (current market prices) and I would rather that than spend 70m on Harry. I think Harry is so overrated and would of taken Toby but 80m is just a joke of a fee.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Does my comment really warrant going personal? Aren't there rules against all that?

Also do you think that any of our CBs is anywhere near to WC?
I didn't insult you, did I?
Surely if you truly believe none of our CB's have enough talent to compare to Rio's left toe (despite obvious evidence against this) then I can't help but think you are frustrated, angry and annoyed watching us play. It must be stressful living life like that, that's all.
Otherwise your statement is wildly hyperbolic.

I never said our CB's are WC. But they are talented, it's a pre-requisite to be able to play for us for a number of years.

I don't buy into the opinions of pundits when they criticise Pogba, DDG, Lukaku etc so why would I listen to them when they criticise our defenders?

Plus anything above £40m for a 29 year old in the last year of his contract is a joke. & Harry Maguire at £60m+ is also a joke.

devilish

Yerry Mina:

"I started betting with Messi and Suárez to see who would kick the best free kicks in training. I just wanted to see them. I soon realized, every day they were taking 50 euros away from me."
His football IQ seem to be in line with the rest of our CBs. Hopefully DDG would persuade him to challenge him on saving the ball

Castia

Only seen him play a handful of times and that was at the world cup, he was brilliant. I don't know what has gone in at Barca but in 5 games you cannot be considered a flop if you have been there for 8 months.he is young tall powerful, i dont think he is that bad on the ball and has the potential to be good. At 35m it is a great deal (current market prices) and I would rather that than spend 70m on Harry. I think Harry is so overrated and would of taken Toby but 80m is just a joke of a fee.
Surely that's a problem in itself though? to me it says he just wasn't good enough to get into the side.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I don't want him and that is solely based on this forum's opinion.
This forum had me convinced Schneiderlin was going to play a crucial role in completely transforming our midfield into the best in the league.

I'm still very concerned about this move though. Mina just reminds me of a player that's level is around the bottom half of the league, hope I'm wrong.

settembrini

Just went on twitter to see what the chat was about this story and the first thing I see is Mina getting wrecked by our old boy Januzaj.

Hoof the ball

His football IQ seem to be in line with the rest of our CBs. Hopefully DDG would persuade him to challenge him on saving the ball
:lol: you have to laugh. The Caf is desperate for a hybrid of Miguel Angel Nadal and Daley Blind in terms of physicality and passing from the back, and then we find out that we're after Mina, who it turns out, is about the level of our current CB's on the ball. Let's just hope he's a monster in defence.

devilish

I didn't insult you, did I?
Surely if you truly believe none of our CB's have enough talent to compare to Rio's left toe (despite obvious evidence against this) then I can't help but think you are frustrated, angry and annoyed watching us play. It must be stressful living life like that, that's all.
Otherwise your statement is wildly hyperbolic.

I never said our CB's are WC. But they are talented, it's a pre-requisite to be able to play for us for a number of years.

I don't buy into the opinions of pundits when they criticise Pogba, DDG, Lukaku etc so why would I listen to them when they criticise our defenders?

Plus anything above £40m for a 29 year old in the last year of his contract is a joke. & Harry Maguire at £60m+ is also a joke.
Of course you did. You alleged that I have a sad life in a post were we posting about football. How immature is that? Also is it outrageous to say that Rio is much better then all our CBs? That's pretty evident isn't it?

I think the standards had been slipping massively in the past years. There's no way any of our defenders would make it to first team during our glorious days (treble, double double or 3 CL team).

Regarding your last comment the fees are what they are and clubs are paying them. Being the biggest club in the world is more then just making profits and getting sleeve sponsors. Football matter too and our squad is nowhere near to top 4 in the world let alone the best.

Im just annoyed with the club constantly throwing our managers under the bus by not bringing them the player they need to keep the facade of 'being the biggest club in the world'. The biggest club in the world do not resort on 33 year old makeshift wingers as fullbacks and they certainly have better CBs then we do.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Looks like the caf have already christened him as the Fellaini of our defence.

MrBest

Surely that's a problem in itself though? to me it says he just wasn't good enough to get into the side.
I don't know many players that could displace Umtiti and Pique from a team. I have also heard that Barca want to see a non EU spot so selling him makes sense.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Of course you did. You alleged that I have a sad life in a post were we posting about football. How immature is that? Also is it outrageous to say that Rio is much better then all our CBs? That's pretty evident isn't it?

I think the standards had been slipping massively in the past years. There's no way any of our defenders would make it to first team during our glorious days (treble, double double or 3 CL team).

Regarding your last comment the fees are what they are and clubs are paying them. Being the biggest club in the world is more then just making profits and getting sleeve sponsors. Football matter too and our squad is nowhere near to top 4 in the world let alone the best.
"Rio is much better than all our CBs" is completely different to "Rio had more talent in his left toe then all our combined CBs put together." which is what you actually said.
You've now reigned in the hyperbole because you recognise how OTT it is.

We've been blessed with 3 WC CB's in the last 2 decades (Stam, Rio & Vidic) that's not typical of the average squad.
Look at other squads over the last 20 years, and you'll find that the likes of Bayern, Barca, Madrid etc have had WC CB's that are surrounded by good squad players.
In the same way you'll have WC midfielders or strikers supported by good squad players, that's just how it is.

Now if we could get a WC defender for a reasonable price, I agree that it would take our defence to the next level.
I just don't see the logic in buying a 29 year old Toby for that price, and Maguire certainly isn't WC to justify the £60m either.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Are we actually signing him? He said previously he wants to join a club with less pressure and where he can get more minutes.

devilish

"Rio is much better than all our CBs" is completely different to "Rio had more talent in his left toe then all our combined CBs put together." which is what you actually said.
You've now reigned in the hyperbole because you recognise how OTT it is.

We've been blessed with 3 WC CB's in the last 2 decades (Stam, Rio & Vidic) that's not typical of the average squad.
Look at other squads over the last 20 years, and you'll find that the likes of Bayern, Barca, Madrid etc have had WC CB's that are surrounded by good squad players.
In the same way you'll have WC midfielders or strikers supported by good squad players, that's just how it is.

Now if we could get a WC defender for a reasonable price, I agree that it would take our defence to the next level.
I just don't see the logic in buying a 29 year old Toby for that price, and Maguire certainly isn't WC to justify the £60m either.
Not really. I stick to both statements. I dare to say that Johnsen, Pally, Bruce and even Wes were better to the CBs we've got. The situation is made worse by the fact that we're relying on 33 year old makeshift wingers as our first team fullbacks. Name me one top club whose defence stinks of average?

The fees are what the are. We either pay them or we risk regressing. You'll expect the club to learn its lesson after the disastrous value strategy which saw us systematically replacing top talent (Rio, Vidic, Gaz, Scholes, Ronaldo, Giggs etc) with average talent while hoping we still do well. We haven't been close of winning the title ever since.

Micky Targaryen

Just went on twitter to see what the chat was about this story and the first thing I see is Mina getting wrecked by our old boy Januzaj.

You can find these kind of brainfart videos for literally anyone. Fortunately Mina is young and learning and can still improve eh?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Not really. I stick to both statements. I dare to say that Johnsen, Pally, Bruce and even Wes were better to the CBs we've got. The situation is made worse by the fact that we're relying on 33 year old makeshift wingers as our first team fullbacks. Name me one top club whose defence stinks of average?

The fees are what the are. We either pay them or we risk regressing. You'll expect the club to learn its lesson after the disastrous value strategy which saw us systematically replacing top talent (Rio, Vidic, Gaz, Scholes, Ronaldo, Giggs etc) with average talent while hoping we still do well. We haven't been close of winning the title ever since.
I won't argue about the fullbacks, I think fullback is more a priority than CB by a considerable margin. But our CB's are really not as bad as you make them out to be - and I don't really care to argue about your opinion.

We don't either pay them or risk regressing, that's how you get shafted and set a dangerous precedent. You think that if we pay £65m for Toby now, it wont alert other clubs of our desperation and make negotiating for other players in the future much harder?
Say we try and get a RW next summer, knowing we've paid £65m for an ageing defender, the minimum price will immediately be £80m

We've already improved our league position, improved our points tally, and strengthened our squad - how are we at risk of regressing?

You sound like you've already accepted defeat before a ball has been kicked, it's really not that bad.

SSSSnake

You can find these kind of brainfart videos for literally anyone. Fortunately Mina is young and learning and can still improve eh?
I remember when folks were talking about Lukaku's first touch and showing clips. I think those rival fans have shut up now. Mina is a very good defender and i'm sure we've done our home work to be able to judge properly.

Delano

Has he got anymore talent then TFM and Tunzabe? We already have young defenders and require an experienced player. Oh well, let's see how he gets on.

settembrini

Of course. I have to question why we would yet another 'young and learning' centre back though given that Mourinho has already bought two plus our own Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah.

Bojan11

Why?

There are a lot of players not good enough for Barca or Madrid that would play for us.

Pique and Umtiti are hardly poor players. Pique is a decorated winner and the other played a key part in France winning the World Cup.

TrueRed79

Looking forward to seeing him in the red shirt.

Think he will become a fans favorite, looked class in the WC and Tim Vickery (who knows his stuff) has always rated him.

Definitely worth the gamble.
Do you really think that we are in a position to gamble on a CB considering we don't have a single world class one at our club?
This would be one of the stupidest signings we have ever made. Barca and us is not his level. Guy is an accident waiting to happen.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Do you really think that we are in a position to gamble on a CB considering we don't have a single world class one at our club?
This would be one of the stupidest signings we have ever made. Barca and us is not his level. Guy is an accident waiting to happen.
Gambling is better than getting no one.

Eugenius

I don't have the foggiest idea how good he is. All I know is that:

1) According to the press he's our third choice after Alderweireld and Maguire, and we're in because he's cheaper.

2) Barcelona are seemingly willing to let him go after 6 months, and current interest is from Everton and Wolves. Allegedly.

3) We've signed two centre backs of the same age and price profile recently. Neither were first choice CBs last year.

Screams of signing players for the sake of it. Can understand a bit adding some aerial ability into our defence (Bailly and Lindelof are rubbish at timing, Jones and Rojo are only 6'0 to 6'1). Who knows though - can't be a complete clown to end up at Barca but several red flags as above.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don't have the foggiest idea how good he is. All I know is that:

1) According to the press he's our third choice after Alderweireld and Maguire, and we're in because he's cheaper.

2) Barcelona are seemingly willing to let him go after 6 months, and current interest is from Everton and Wolves. Allegedly.

3) We've signed two centre backs of the same age and price profile recently. Neither were first choice CBs last year.

Screams of signing players for the sake of it. Can understand a bit adding some aerial ability into our defence (Bailly and Lindelof are rubbish at timing, Jones and Rojo are only 6'0 to 6'1). Who knows though - can't be a complete clown to end up at Barca but several red flags as above.
Yep, it seems like another “risky CB signing” after similar with Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof

You just know that we’re going to end up with a Jones Smalling pairing when they’re both fit (so, not that often I guess)

dove

Gambling is better than getting no one.
I would rather we gamble on a position that we don't have a single player in like RW. We have like 5 CB (all of them are quite average but still), adding another average CB like Mina or Maguire won't solve anything. Meanwhile starting yet another season with no RW would be absolutely shocking.

Bojan11

Yep, it seems like another “risky CB signing” after similar with Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof

You just know that we’re going to end up with a Jones Smalling pairing when they’re both fit (so, not that often I guess)
What is a safe CB signing?

Aldeweireld coming off a back of injury prone season at his age isn’t a safe signing.

Maguire isn’t guaranteed to work at a top club too. Could be similar story to Jones.

There’s a lack of world class centre defenders. Look how many Man City have signed and none of them are as good as Kompany with one leg.

kr0nix

So you've already written off Lindelof? :rolleyes:
On the contrary, I'd prefer if we picked him more often. It's Mou who doesn't seem that convinced by him, which is apparently why he's chasing yet another young centreback after spending the best part of 65 million on Lindelof and Bailly.

Status
Not open for further replies.