Yerry Mina - Everton Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Sell Rojo sign this guy. Still the same situation. Atleast we are getting who has potential to get better

arthurka

Whats up with this thread? Haven't seen anything solid linking us to Mina . But if we are doing to play Bailly or Lindelöf we will need a CB who can win headers..

Snafu17

Every single CB we have "might come really good if they manage to kick on next season". Adding another one of these wouldn't solve any problems. I don't see the point in singing him.

The only solid source mentioned we are not in for him though.

Murray3007

I remember when folks were talking about Lukaku's first touch and showing clips. I think those rival fans have shut up now. Mina is a very good defender and i'm sure we've done our home work to be able to judge properly.
Not sure anyone will have shut up about that to be honest its still pretty poor for someone playing at one of the biggest clubs in the world

SammyUnited_83

Whats up with this thread? Haven't seen anything solid linking us to Mina . But if we are doing to play Bailly or Lindelöf we will need a CB who can win headers..
Seems reported that we have someone out in Spain to get the deal done.

Renegade

So Mourinho will have 3 CB’s his signed of this deal goes through. There would be no excuse for Smalling and Jones to be playing.

I reckon Smalling will still be first choice next season.

I hope this isn’t our last signing before the window closes.

United Pro

Pique and Umtiti are hardly poor players. Pique is a decorated winner and the other played a key part in France winning the World Cup.
Funnily enough, Pique left us after he couldn't get into our team and joined Barca. Not saying Mina is anywhere near as good, but the lack of playing time argument has to be put into context.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I'm sure he's a talent but then... if he is.. why the hell are Barca happy to sell him?

And then there's the fact that we've already bought two talented young CB's under Mourinho, why are we adding another one?

Oh, and then the fact that the whole point of getting a CB this summer was to get an experienced one so that we're not reliant on the likes of Jones, Bailly, Lindelof to either come good or stop being injury free.

I really hope this isn't true because it seems like an absolutely daft move.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I would rather we gamble on a position that we don't have a single player in like RW. We have like 5 CB (all of them are quite average but still), adding another average CB like Mina or Maguire won't solve anything. Meanwhile starting yet another season with no RW would be absolutely shocking.
RW seems a more expensive position to replace than CB. Mina looks to be a £35m deal whereas the RW position won't cost less than 60m to fix seemingly.

We do have Mata Lingard and Rashford too.

witchtrials

This seems like a curious one. I've only watched the guy a couple of times (and in all honesty don't remember much about him) but if, as lots of posters are suggesting, he's not much of a passer (and his positives are his good defensive attributes) then it's hard to see how this transfer would move the team or squad forward very much. While our transitions have been a real weakness, such that addressing it with better passers could substantially improve us, in defensive terms we've been fine really. Hard to see how (optimistically) a bit of an upgrade in central defending is going to contribute significantly to bridging the gap to between how United and City have been playing.

Kapardin

Gut feeling we are not signing him. We are stocked with CBs even if Rojo leaves. The only reason we need another CB is for experience and ball-playing skills, which I am not sure this guy has.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If this comes to pass, the next investment we should make should be on the best central defensive coach in the business. Mina, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw and Dalot all under 24, with Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe waiting in the wings too.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I won't argue about the fullbacks, I think fullback is more a priority than CB by a considerable margin. But our CB's are really not as bad as you make them out to be - and I don't really care to argue about your opinion.

We don't either pay them or risk regressing, that's how you get shafted and set a dangerous precedent. You think that if we pay £65m for Toby now, it wont alert other clubs of our desperation and make negotiating for other players in the future much harder?
Say we try and get a RW next summer, knowing we've paid £65m for an ageing defender, the minimum price will immediately be £80m

We've already improved our league position, improved our points tally, and strengthened our squad - how are we at risk of regressing?

You sound like you've already accepted defeat before a ball has been kicked, it's really not that bad.
I am not saying that they are shit. However at a club which is seriously competing on all fronts then they can be squad players at best. It doesn't really help that we're playing failed wingers as fullbacks which of course put added stress on them

Fred will be replacing Carrick, Dalot may one day replace Valencia whose in steady decline and Grant has been brought to cheer lead the squad. So in reality we're replacing like with like (with slight improvements as Fred is better then an ageing Carrick). Meanwhile Valencia and Young are one year older and other clubs are strengthening. If we don't add 2-3 top players then I'll be very very surprised if we end up winning something serious with this squad. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we return our no 2 spot

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I actually think Mina is better than Bailly:nervous:

Both are fast, strong and have the occasional brainfart in them. Mina however is much better in the air and better with the ball at his feet.

He outperformed Davinson Sanchez by quite a margin at the World Cup and that dude is coping just fine in the PL.

Castia

Why?

There are a lot of players not good enough for Barca or Madrid that would play for us.

Pique and Umtiti are hardly poor players. Pique is a decorated winner and the other played a key part in France winning the World Cup.

No doubt they're good defenders but he made 5 appearances since January and now they're wanting to offload him, hardly convincing is it.

He's Daley Blind slow and as average as it gets and they're gonna get rid. Rojo is a better player than Mina.

We'll be in the same situation next summer and will have to buy another centre back (4th in 4 summer windows) it's a shite signing.

Last edited:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Why does everyone hate him so much?
Not so much him, just what the signing appears to represent. No real long-term planning or obvious immediate improvement to the current squad.

He's not a big improvement on our current pool of defenders, an area we're hardly short of cover. His signing (which I'm now expecting) will probably mean Rojo goes to Everton for a similar price, and not a whole lot has changed re the quality of the squad - though he does pose more of a goal threat. We needed a good ball-playing CB, and if Barca are willing to ship him out after just more than 6 month, he's clearly not that. For me, if Alderweireld isn't achievable, I'd want us to be focusing more on a LB/RW. Though it looks like we've missed the boat with the majority of gettable players this window - we're now picking up the scraps.

Also, the fact we'll have bought a CB of a similar age every single summer window since Jose took over doesn't really fill me with confidence over our ability to pick out the correct players.

kr0nix

Mou does know his stuff about CBs. However even the greatest of manager would struggle with a Plan C or D and Mina is all about. Which is making me truly rethink my views about all managers we had in the past 5-6 years. Can we really blame SAF, Moyes, LVG and Mou if we ended up with sub standard players? Or isn't the case of the club failing to bring the players we need forcing the respective managers to dig deep in their list?
Ultimately, if their names are on the list, we can conclude that the manager considers them an improvement on the current squad; otherwise, what would be the point in listing them?
If they then turn out to be shite, that's on the manager.

Mainoldo

If he can pass what the f’ing point. Seriously some of you posters need to make your mind up! Are we just adding numbers for the sake of it. The whole point of getting a defender was to get a better one than we already have not another one that needs Mourinho shabby coaching.

We’ll buy him and he’ll be on the bench for 2 months whilst Mourinho tells us he’s not ready for the pace of the league.

Mainoldo

Ultimately, if their names are on the list, we can conclude that the manager considers them an improvement on the current squad; otherwise, what would be the point in listing them?
So In March Mourinho told Ed go get this bloke sitting on Barca’s bench lol.

dove

RW seems a more expensive position to replace than CB. Mina looks to be a £35m deal whereas the RW position won't cost less than 60m to fix seemingly.

We do have Mata Lingard and Rashford too.
Yeah, and that's the reason why we are attacking only from the left... Anyway, my point was that signing another average defender when we already have 5 average defenders makes no sense. Instead maybe add this £35m to get someone who will improve the team immediately.

NinjaFletch

I'd be happier with it as a signing than Maguire I think. Neither of them are, in my opinion, going to make the difference between winning the title and not (neither of them being the world class centre back we'd hoped for). I'd be happy to take what is, in this market, a cheapish punt on Mina, offset by selling Rojo, and see if he surprises and give Maguire another season at Leicester.

If Maguire continues to show his world cup form (and if I'm honest, I don't think he had that good a world cup) and Mina doesn't impress then we can go in for him next summer – the price is already ridiculous for Maguire as it is. If Mina does impress and we can save the £40m+ difference between the pair to invest elsewhere then happy days.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

You do understand the lower we go in the list the less good the player is according to the manager. Else he be listed higher in that list. So sure Mou might think he's an improvement to the tripe we've got available. However he might not have the necessary talent to make that much of a difference. The alternative to that is for the manager to just pull the plug on the transfer market and lie about being happy with the squad. We've heard that bell again and again hasn't we? Biggest club in the world indeed.

The Mad Manc

I can't believe this signing is being priortised over a left back. Right side of the attack also more urgent

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I am not saying that they are shit. However at a club which is seriously competing on all fronts then they can be squad players at best. It doesn't really help that we're playing failed wingers as fullbacks which of course put added stress on them

Fred will be replacing Carrick, Dalot may one day replace Valencia whose in steady decline and Grant has been brought to cheer lead the squad. So in reality we're replacing like with like (with slight improvements as Fred is better then an ageing Carrick). Meanwhile Valencia and Young are one year older and other clubs are strengthening. If we don't add 2-3 top players then I'll be very very surprised if we end up winning something serious with this squad. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we return our no 2 spot
I would have Smalling & Tuanzebe as squad players, Jones would be too, but he's too injury prone to be relied upon - but we also can't sell him for that very reason. I think Bailly & Lindelof will come good this season. I don't really have any expectations for this Mina guy as of yet.
Fred doesn't play anything like Carrick at all, if anything Pereira would be more of a Carrick-style player - but I understand what you're trying to say.
Dalot has been hailed as one of the best RB's in his age group, which is a wise investment. I think the club are giving Shaw one more chance before we replace him, which is understandable.

From what I can see we're making moves in the right direction, could it be better? Absolutely. Doesn't mean we have to get desperate and throw money at any and everyone who has a sale going on.
We're making improvements to the squad and almost everyone we have signed since Mourinho joined has improved us in some way (except Mhki & it's too early to tell with Sanchez & Lindelof yet)

If we don't win the title, then as long as we qualify for CL - I don't really care where we finish. I think we'll win a domestic Cup and have a good run at CL with this team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah, and that's the reason why we are attacking only from the left... Anyway, my point was that signing another average defender when we already have 5 average defenders makes no sense. Instead maybe add this £35m to get someone who will improve the team immediately.
How did we get one of the best defensive records in consistently in the last 4 seasons with 5 average defenders?

NinjaFletch

How did we get one of the best defensive records in consistently in the last 4 seasons with 5 average defenders?
By having a very good keeper who made a ridiculously high number of saves.

kr0nix

So In March Mourinho told Ed go get this bloke sitting on Barca’s bench lol.
I wouldn't mind if I thought he'd turn out like Coutinho, who flourished at Liverpool after a stop-start career at Inter. But I can't see that happening with this guy, would love to be wrong.
It's as you said. When a manager is dissatisfied with his two previous purchases at CB and requests a third with a similar age profile, you can't help but be skeptical when he says "YES, THIS IS THE ONE"

EDIT: 1000 POSTS!

Last edited:

Lyng

Funnily enough, Pique left us after he couldn't get into our team and joined Barca. Not saying Mina is anywhere near as good, but the lack of playing time argument has to be put into context.
Piques competition back then was Vidic and Rio at their prime. That’s a very different scenario than what we have now.

Reactions: Sultan

gr3yham3

From the various articles about him before he joined Barca, it seems that he can pass it out well from the back. No Bonucci but I am sure it's better than Smalling or Jones.

Lyng

I can't believe this signing is being priortised over a left back. Right side of the attack also more urgent
I have a sneaking suspicion Shaw has actually impressed Mourinho in training and that we are counting on him. I remember him before his injury during the Van Gaal era. If we can get him back to that form we are in fantastic shape on that position.

The Purley King

So we spend £35m on Mina, who isn't particularly good with the ball at his feet instead of £70m on Maguire who can actually add something.
I don't get it.
Too many ~£30m players who are pretty average, we need one or two excellent players, the cost will end up being the same in the end as we regularly spend £30-35m on players who don't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.