Yerry Mina - Everton Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

He is fast, good tackler, beast in the air and has goal threat. Would not be the end of the world if he signed. He impressed me against England.
Smalling; Jones and Bailly are fast!! Ball playing CB is what we need. Not more defensive rugid players.

AlexUTD

Smalling; Jones and Bailly are fast!! Ball playing CB is what we need. Not more defensive rugid players.
Lindelof is a ball playing CB but i agree it would not hurt with for example Alderweireld who is good on the ball, especially if we are going to play 3-5-2.

But if Mina comes and for example Jones or Rojo goes i wouldnt mind it.

Castia

Who’s saying he’s fast??? He’s Daley Blind level slow. He’s not a fast defender at all.

MadMike

He is fast, good tackler, beast in the air and has goal threat. Would not be the end of the world if he signed. He impressed me against England.
You mustn't have been paying much (any) attention to Mina in particular during that game if the first thing you say about him is that he's fast.

He's a slow player. He's 195cm tall and 95kg weight which takes some shifting.

Glos7er

Have to agree Mina is no better than our current crop of CB, Jose should play Bailly and give Lindeloff a decent run as he was quality in the WC, plus we have FM back now after a valuable run at Palace im sure his energy and speed will lend to the season ahead.

MadMike

Why would Barca sell if he's good enough?
They need to free a foreigner's slot, but regardless if they rated him that highly they wouldn't care about that. Consider that they already signed someone to take his place in Lenglet.

They bought the guy for 10m only 6 months ago. They hardly played him (5 apps?). He's not part of their future plans. They already replaced him and they need him gone. Yet allegedly they want 40m for him because he had a couple of decent games at the WC.

They're just looking for idiots basically to do them a favour.

Ekeke

Because he doesnt play much and isnt likely to have as much exposure as he got from the world cup?

Are we as good as Barcelona? Nowhere near. Sanchez wasnt considered not good enough for them

Saf94

Why did we sell Pique? Why did City sell Boateng?

Sometimes teams don’t have the time or will to develop players to their potential. Barca bought him and after a few poor games now want rid, it means they bought a long term prospect and expected short term success from him. It’s like us selling Lindelof after him being poor against Huddersfield, no one here wants him sold because we understand you need to invest in players and let them develop.

Barca’s play style also expects a lot from defenders that he can’t necessarily give but also doesn’t mean he’s bad.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
They need to free a foreigner's slot, but regardless if they rated him that highly they wouldn't care about that. Consider that they already signed someone to take his place in Lenglet.

They bought the guy for 10m only 6 months ago. They hardly played him (5 apps?). He's not part of their future plans. They already replaced him and they need him gone. Yet allegedly they want 40m for him because he had a couple of decent games at the WC.

They're just looking for idiots basically to do them a favour.
And Man Utd post SAF/Gill seem like the type of idiots to oblige. If we wanted to spend big on a CB we should have signed Lenglet or someone else, rather than sign the player who has already been replaced. Signing a player because of a good WC, when his price will never be higher? Poor business.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I'll try again. Is this definitely/most likely/perhaps happening then?

AlexUTD

You mustn't have been paying much (any) attention to Mina in particular during that game if the first thing you say about him is that he's fast.

He's a slow player. He's 195cm tall and 95kg weight which takes some shifting.
Maybe i am blind but i thought he looked quite fast for his size.

On this clip he doesnt look that slow i think: (See from 3:00 when he runs on the right side)

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s got a lot to learn obviously but I’m not sure why they bought him when they have Umtiti and Pique. Were they worried Umtiti leaving?

Doesn’t make sense for them wasting non eu spaces on a bench player when they can make 35m on him

rampo

Toby is very injury prone and much older. What’s baffling about that?
Can we put the "Toby is injury prone" thing to rest please? It is getting really boring

He played 21 games last season - the only big injury he had and then Poch didn't play him as he wanted out. He then went on to play all Belgium matches at the WC

MadMike

Maybe i am blind but i thought he looked quite fast for his size.

On this clip he doesnt look that slow i think: (See from 3:00 when he runs on the right side)

He’s doesn’t look fast in that clip. He just keeps running while everyone else has stopped. I can isolate a couple of clips of Matic and make you think he’s fast if you don’t know much about him, but if you watch him over 90m and know the player there’s no way you’ll think he’s a fast one.

And generally the word “fast” in football means someone who has good acceleration from static to the first 10-15m. Tall guys can have a great top speed once they get going but are almost always slow to get going which matters the most in football. And the heavier you are the slower you’re likely to be off the mark too. Unless you have a specific “sprinter” physique, which no footballer has as it requires too much muscle and impacts stamina negatively.

VanGaalyTime

I'll try again. Is this definitely/most likely/perhaps happening then?
On r/soccer they're saying it's only lower rated newspapers (Mundo etc) linking him with United. One of the leading experts on Barcelona, Gerard Romero has stated there is no interest from United in Mina. I'd like to believe him. However, Duncan Castles (close with Mou) has also linked United with Mina in recent days, which has caused some worry that the interest is real. My thought is that it's just United looking to get Spurs to negotiate for Alderweireld.

AlexUTD

He’s doesn’t look fast in that clip. He just keeps running while everyone else has stopped. I can isolate a couple of clips of Matic and make you think he’s fast if you don’t know much about him, but if you watch him over 90m and know the player there’s no way you’ll think he’s a fast one.

And generally the word “fast” in football means someone who has good acceleration from static to the first 10-15m. Tall guys can have a great top speed once they get going but are almost always slow to get going which matters the most in football. And the heavier you are the slower you’re likely to be off the mark too. Unless you have a specific “sprinter” physique, which no footballer has as it requires too much muscle and impacts stamina negatively.
Ok guess i take back my comment that he is fast, after watching him 3 games in the WC i had the impression that he was fast for a tall guy,guess i was wrong.

I still think he is a good player, especially in the air he is a beast and has great goal threat.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Mina- no thanks. Alderweireld- 50+mill for 29yr old -no thanks

Maguire is who we need, but we may not get him. Shambolic leaving it so late.

I reckon woody is looking at the clock in his office counting down the hours, with the cheque book padlocked to his chest ready to be unlocked on deadline day for a mass hysterical scramble with Jim White and James Cooper creaming themselves at Sky Sports also in on the act.
29 years old is not a bad age at all for a central defender. Thiago Silva, Chiellini, Godin, Sergio Ramos, Pique .. all still playing pretty much their best football in their 30's, some of them are even (gasp) 33. The best centre backs don't rely on pace but positioning and Alderweireld has never been quick, he's easily got a number of years left in him before he's ready for the glue factory and 50 million for one of the best defenders in the league isn't an unfair price. Players don't suddenly drop dead at 30, plenty of players in his position can play in to their mid 30's without serious decline. It's not like you don't have other young defenders at the club (Bailly, Lindelof) who can learn from him.

The market has changed, 50 mill isn't a shocking fee anymore. There are other question marks over Alderweireld (recent injuries) but his age is no problem. Vertonghen is 31 and playing better than ever, if you signed Alderweireld for 50 mill and he gave you even 3-4 seasons of top class defending he would easily justify the fee, and injuries permitting he's very capable of doing that. Nobody better than him is obtainable, you're not going to get Umtiti or Varane and whilst I rate Maguire he'd cost even more and whilst he's younger I'd argue he's just not as good a player.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Toby is very injury prone and much older. What’s baffling about that?
Someone posted his injury record earlier. He's not injury prone. He also has at least 4 solid years in him at top level. Not to forget its experience we are after at the back rather than another meat head.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah Alderweireld really isn't 'injury prone', he's just had a couple recently + disagreements with the club are a big part of why he hasn't played as much as he should be. His record overall is solid.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Someone posted his injury record earlier. He's not injury prone. He also has at least 4 solid years in him at top level. Not to forget its experience we are after at the back rather than another meat head.
He has failed to play 30 game in all competitions in 3 of the last 5 seasons. One of the major reasons we need a CB is we need someone who can play 38 league games and be ever present. You’re right that on second viewing it isn’t terrible and he is a terrific defender, but it’s not “bizarre” if we are looking at other younger players.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don’t think we’re even interested in Mina, I think it’s all coming from his agent. The signing doesn’t make any sense from our point of view, therefore it’s probably rubbish.

I reckon we’ll sign either Toby or Maguire....probably Toby.

MadMike

29 years old is not a bad age at all for a central defender. Thiago Silva, Chiellini, Godin, Sergio Ramos, Pique .. all still playing pretty much their best football in their 30's, some of them are even (gasp) 33. The best centre backs don't rely on pace but positioning and Alderweireld has never been quick, he's easily got a number of years left in him before he's ready for the glue factory and 50 million for one of the best defenders in the league isn't an unfair price. Players don't suddenly drop dead at 30, plenty of players in his position can play in to their mid 30's without serious decline. It's not like you don't have other young defenders at the club (Bailly, Lindelof) who can learn from him.

The market has changed, 50 mill isn't a shocking fee anymore. There are other question marks over Alderweireld (recent injuries) but his age is no problem. Vertonghen is 31 and playing better than ever, if you signed Alderweireld for 50 mill and he gave you even 3-4 seasons of top class defending he would easily justify the fee, and injuries permitting he's very capable of doing that. Nobody better than him is obtainable, you're not going to get Umtiti or Varane and whilst I rate Maguire he'd cost even more and whilst he's younger I'd argue he's just not as good a player.
I'll kindly disagree with you here. I still think £50m is fairly steep, not just because of his age but because he has a clause which means he can leave for £25m next summer. Technically that price would make Alderweireld the most expensive CB ever in terms of contract amortisation.

Sure VVD moved for £75m, but that was at age 26 and with 5 year contract still remaining. Bonucci, widely considered one of the best if not the best CB around (especially when Juve had just made CL final in 2017) was sold last summer at age 30 for €30m to a rival. Alderweireld is only 6 months younger now than Bonucci was last summer when he made that jump.

In my personal opinion anything above £40m is overpaying. And it can't be just me because technically Spurs have been ready to listen to offers all summer (since he decided to not renew) and he's quite a desirable player but no one has met the Spurs price yet. And let's be honest here, outside of 2-3 clubs in the Premier League who do you think will pay £50m for him given the parameters mentioned? Do you think Spanish/German/Italian teams would touch him at that price?

He is only priced for 2-3 clubs and if they decide to not fall for it he'll either be sold abroad for £35m-£40m tops or he'll leave for £25m next summer.

crossy1686

career ending
He's none of those things though is he?

He's slow, turns like a truck, clumsy, has poor positioning and rash. He only has his height and heading ability going for him. We don't need players that won't improve the quality of our team.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I'll kindly disagree with you here. I still think £50m is fairly steep, not just because of his age but because he has a clause which means he can leave for £25m next summer. Technically that price would make Alderweireld the most expensive CB ever in terms of contract amortisation.

Sure VVD moved for £75m, but that was at age 26 and with 5 year contract still remaining. Bonucci, widely considered one of the best if not the best CB around (especially when Juve had just made CL final in 2017) was sold last summer at age 30 for €30m to a rival. Alderweireld is only 6 months younger now than Bonucci was last summer when he made that jump.

In my personal opinion anything above £40m is overpaying. And it can't be just me because technically Spurs have been ready to listen to offers all summer (since he decided to not renew) and he's quite a desirable player but no one has met the Spurs price yet. And let's be honest here, outside of 2-3 clubs in the Premier League who do you think will pay £50m for him given the parameters mentioned? Do you think Spanish/German/Italian teams would touch him at that price?

He is only priced for 2-3 clubs and if they decide to not fall for it he'll either be sold abroad for £35m-£40m tops or he'll leave for £25m next summer.
The clause is a fair point. It's up to United whether they think it's worth waiting, or paying the full price now. Bonucci moved for a reasonable price because Serie A is a different story to the Premier League, players don't move for the insane prices you'll see bandied around here, and Serie A clubs often do business with each other, it's not the same policy in the Prem where if you want a rivals player you're going to have to pay over the odds. Also, Bonucci was very good at Juventus but it was always suspected that outside the Juve bubble without the system he was in and the world class defenders he was alongside, he wouldn't look as good. And he hasn't. He's very good on the ball, but he's not as good a defender as Toby.

What the Spanish/German/Italian teams would pay is pretty irrelevant, he's the best defender United could get this summer and because he plays for us he'll cost a significant fee. Fair play entirely if United decide they don't want to pay it, but we're not going to let our best defender go for a 'reasonable' price. We've been listening to offers but have clearly stuck a price on him, I don't know if it's negotiable because I'm not Levy but I highly doubt you'd get the fee down much further.

If you think he's only worth 40 mill then we'd only be losing 15 by not selling him this window, and for that we get a world class defender for the season, which could be vital.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Anyway this isn't the Alderweireld thread so if you wanna discuss him further we should do it in a thread related to him.

CristianH

Supports
Inter Milan
I don't see how he could improve the team. He's not so good as his WC performace may suggest.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
He's none of those things though is he?

He's slow, turns like a truck, clumsy, has poor positioning and rash. He only has his height and heading ability going for him. We don't need players that won't improve the quality of our team.
He's just "bound by the laws of physics".

He's not slow when running, but his big body makes it harder for him in short spaces and makes it slower for him to turn on his edge, he looks clumsy with the ball because in Spain for example he had to defend guys with their hip what, 15 or 20cm closer to the ground than his? That's a huge disadvantage.

His positioning looked especially awful with us because he was taking tasks that weren't his to start with, because he wante to prove he could be a top defender in La Liga, that boldness created bad impressions, but if you watched him at the WC, with nothing to prove, he looked composed in his duties.

He's a weird fit for the Barcelona system, but for Mourinho, and even better if Mou went to pursue a 3 CB's system, he could thrive in there. Fielding this guy means almost no team in the world can toss an air ball in your half of the pitch and expect to milk something from it. That's huge.

James Peril

From Umtiti, Alderweireld and even Bonucci to Maguire and Mina.
He's just "bound by the laws of physics".

He's not slow when running, but his big body makes it harder for him in short spaces and makes it slower for him to turn on his edge, he looks clumsy with the ball because in Spain for example he had to defend guys with their hip what, 15 or 20cm closer to the ground than his? That's a huge disadvantage.

His positioning looked especially awful with us because he was taking tasks that weren't his to start with, because he wante to prove he could be a top defender in La Liga, that boldness created bad impressions, but if you watched him at the WC, with nothing to prove, he looked composed in his duties.

He's a weird fit for the Barcelona system, but for Mourinho, and even better if Mou went to pursue a 3 CB's system, he could thrive in there. Fielding this guy means almost no team in the world can toss an air ball in your half of the pitch and expect to milk something from it. That's huge.
You basically described Sakho from Crystal Palace, former Liverpool. Mina isn’t the player for us, he simply isn’t good enough and doesn’t fit the profile we need.

That being said, I can’t see Mourinho being stupid enough to go after him.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Really don’t want him at all and it would be A joke of a signing, he wasn't even at Barca for a full season and he was absolutely trash they already want rid of him so that should tell you everything. Somehow people think he’s good enough for us? He would be a completely pointless signing and waste of money.

I’d rather just save the cash and give lindalof a chance to build on his good WC.

Alabaster Codify7

His aerial threat from set-pieces means nothing, our corners have been some of the worst in the league for about 6yrs and we have nobody who can beat the first man with crosses apart from Young 5/10 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.