Yerry Mina - Everton Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
From Umtiti, Alderweireld and even Bonucci to Maguire and Mina.

You basically described Sakho from Crystal Palace, former Liverpool. Mina isn’t the player for us, he simply isn’t good enough and doesn’t fit the profile we need.

That being said, I can’t see Mourinho being stupid enough to go after him.
I mean, he's not that good, otherwise I'd be talking about keeping him, not trying to defend him when we're trying to sell him, obviously.

Mina might have a couple things over Sakho tho, for starters he roars 7cm above him, De Gea could be crossing in corners and Mina would still be a threat and his work-rate and discipline seem top notch, I don't know much about Sakho but I doubt he's up to Mina on that.

And for a 194cm player he still has some coordination, far from Zlatan levels of course. I'm just saying that it depends on what Mou wants, if he wants someone to fill on a 3 man at the back, a bet on potential or a fringe 3rd choice defender, Mina could do the trick, even if 40M it's overpaying a little.

If you want someone able to form a duo with Bailly for the next 5 years... well it's already going to be hard to find someone with that potential below 60M.

C'est Moi Cantona

Would maybe give Jones some competition on the subs bench for a few weeks, that's about it.

Anyway seems like it's all just a ruse, so all's well.

CG1010

I'm just saying that it depends on what Mou wants, if he wants someone to fill on a 3 man at the back, a bet on potential or a fringe 3rd choice defender, Mina could do the trick, even if 40M it's overpaying a little.
That sounds like our purchase of Lindelof last summer. This summer if we need anything on CBs, its an immediate upgrade. Doesn't sound like Mina is one based on your description.

Georgan

I mean, he's not that good, otherwise I'd be talking about keeping him, not trying to defend him when we're trying to sell him, obviously.

Mina might have a couple things over Sakho tho, for starters he roars 7cm above him, De Gea could be crossing in corners and Mina would still be a threat and his work-rate and discipline seem top notch, I don't know much about Sakho but I doubt he's up to Mina on that.

And for a 194cm player he still has some coordination, far from Zlatan levels of course. I'm just saying that it depends on what Mou wants, if he wants someone to fill on a 3 man at the back, a bet on potential or a fringe 3rd choice defender, Mina could do the trick, even if 40M it's overpaying a little.

If you want someone able to form a duo with Bailly for the next 5 years... well it's already going to be hard to find someone with that potential below 60M.
You didn't really watch him ever when he was at Palmeiras? He's been the best CB in south America for 5 years, 2016 it's hard to find a better CB in the world than Yerry. Problem is that Barcelona is the one of those clubs that are worse run than us. We have been patient with Smalling-Jones pairing for 7-8 years and it really never paid off, it's a shame, we kept trying and no one fixed the problem. At Barcelona you have a very very average Pique, a blowing hot and cold Umtiti and a promising Lenglet(Let's not talk about Vermaelen), if you had given Yerry one or two seasons, you'd understand why you went through so much to finally buy him.

If we get Yerry, I won't be over the top because he's not what we currently need but he'll develop to be one of the very best.

Also, I don't believe he's coming here, local press would be all over it and there is not much talk about the rumour.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I'm torn on this. On one hand he's only played a handful of games for Barca and I haven't seen him much. On the other hand It's not easy being a CB at Barca. My friend (Barca fan) is adamant that he's a very good defender just doesn't suit them. If we've actually scouted him and followed him before he joined them and want him despite failing at Barca, there might be something us armchair fans are missing. I really don't know.

binary bot
This would be wrapped up if he was first choice. We're trying every option before falling back on Mina.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Mina- no thanks. Alderweireld- 50+mill for 29yr old -no thanks

Maguire is who we need, but we may not get him. Shambolic leaving it so late.

I reckon woody is looking at the clock in his office counting down the hours, with the cheque book padlocked to his chest ready to be unlocked on deadline day for a mass hysterical scramble with Jim White and James Cooper creaming themselves at Sky Sports also in on the act.
Yeah we shouldnt have organized the world cup or expected Leicester to allow us to pay what we wanted to pay. Silly us.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
From Umtiti, Alderweireld and even Bonucci to Maguire and Mina.

You basically described Sakho from Crystal Palace, former Liverpool. Mina isn’t the player for us, he simply isn’t good enough and doesn’t fit the profile we need.

That being said, I can’t see Mourinho being stupid enough to go after him.
How do you know he isnt good enough? Have you watched him extensively?

Litch

Utd playing poker. I get the feeling this is a smokescreen for someone else we have lined up....

Jose is very into players character and attitude. The Sun (for what it's worth) was reporting that he pulled himself up from Poverty. Maybe that kind of character, coupled with his raw physical prowess, appeals to Jose.

Andersons Dietician

Utd playing poker. I get the feeling this is a smokescreen for someone else we have lined up....
Feel the same. I think when it comes down to it we are going to end up with Alderweireld. Probably having an absolute mare dealing with Levy so just making sure if all else fails there is another option or 2 in the fire.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Don't rate him but think his style of play would really suit the Premier League.

jesperjaap

And the Mina bashing continues. Unless you have seen him play for Palmeiras how can you really judge him as would at best have seen him play about 5 games for Barca and 4 in the world cup, not even ten games?

Last few days have read stuff like he is about Everton level no top club will want him....erm Barcelona signed him?
Only time Barca lost or let in so many goals he played.....so he has had one bad game
His passing is poor.....we dotn have one centre back that can pass and dotn say Lindelof for christ sake, Minas passing was better in the world cup than Lindelofs who supposedly had a good world cup, Mina was better all round, hands down, again not judging solely on that, just an example
He wont suit the premiership....maybe he wont but how can people make that assumption from the world cup...physically has the attributes
He is slow....followed by we should sign Maguire, I quite liek Magure, he is hardly rapid though

I cant say I am excited about signing Mina as I barely know him and I really wanted someone like Koulibaily, Marquinhos or even Romagnoli who all look top qualtity, I can say that as seen them a lot more....but Im hardly negative about Mina, he was good at the world cup, I wonder what people have seen from literally four games that was so poor? We have four really average flawed centre backs out of five and the fifth is raw, even with a player people have only seen a handful of games I dont see how peopel are worried about them not improving us......saying that we signed Lindelof for similar reasons last year, I had seen him a fair few times though and really dont understand that signing, always looked like an average signign to me and Mina woul dprob be £5m more....dont remember many moaning about the Lindelof fee thogh last year?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m gonna go against the grain and say I reckon he would be a beast of a signing. He’s clearly a very talented player, was massively impressed at the World Cup to be honest. I like Maguire and think he could also be a top player but I think Mina would shock a hell of a lot of people.

Just as an aside I have no idea why people are listening to Barca fans on centre backs, they absolutely are not looking for the same things we are. I guarantee if prime vidic joined them tomorrow they would think he is garbage, it’s just not a club that relies on the kinds of defenders we do. If anything the fact that Barca fans don’t rate him makes me want him more!

RikRuud

I’m gonna go against the grain and say I reckon he would be a beast of a signing. He’s clearly a very talented player, was massively impressed at the World Cup to be honest. I like Maguire and think he could also be a top player but I think Mina would shock a hell of a lot of people.

Just as an aside I have no idea why people are listening to Barca fans on centre backs, they absolutely are not looking for the same things we are. I guarantee if prime vidic joined them tomorrow they would think he is garbage, it’s just not a club that relies on the kinds of defenders we do. If anything the fact that Barca fans don’t rate him makes me want him more!
Good post

Kidders

If you liken him to his national team mate Davidson Sanchez, there was a also a lot of questions being asked about him playing at a top club in a top league etc, he proved the doubters wrong and had a good season for Spurs (maybe not such a great WC) if we are talking about Mina in and Rojo out for an outlay of an additional €5-10 m then where's the problem, we either unearth a gem #TrustInJanuzaj or we have a player a few years younger, who lets be honest could'nt be much worse than Rojo.
Ps, Rojo is on my 'deadwood' list of players we should move on.

If you liken him to his national team mate Davidson Sanchez, there was a also a lot of questions being asked about him playing at a top club in a top league etc, he proved the doubters wrong and had a good season for Spurs (maybe not such a great WC) if we are talking about Mina in and Rojo out for an outlay of an additional €5-10 m then where's the problem, we either unearth a gem #TrustInJanuzaj or we have a player a few years younger, who lets be honest could'nt be much worse than Rojo.
Ps, Rojo is on my 'deadwood' list of players we should move on.
Surely we are after a player who can go straight into the first team and improve us straight away. Pretty much any CB across Europe is an improvement over Rojo, we already have 2 works in progress in Lindelof and Bailly - we don’t need a third. He might turn out to be a good player, but he’s not the profile we need at the moment.

Kidders

Surely we are after a player who can go straight into the first team and improve us straight away. Pretty much any CB across Europe is an improvement over Rojo, we already have 2 works in progress in Lindelof and Bailly - we don’t need a third. He might turn out to be a good player, but he’s not the profile we need at the moment.
I've made my feelings known about needing a 'new' CB on many occasions, it's not a priority ATM, (if we REALLY want to buy one I'd go all out for Koulibally), however my point about Mina is simple, in a like for like comparison with Rojo, there's nothing much to lose, it would be one squad player for another.

Buying a CB that would go straight into the first team is another debate all together.

crossy1686

career ending
This thread is the biggest contradiction ever.

The people who are pro say he's fast and a beast.
The people who are against say he's slow and rash.

Has anyone actually bothered to watch his 'highlights' from his time at Palmeiras? There's been lots of talk about the World Cup and Barcelona but I haven't seen much (apart from a Tweet) from anywhere else.

This is his highlight reel from 2016/2017.

Watch this and tell me he's better than anything we've already got or plays football the way we should be looking to play. Bear in mind that these highlights are also against sub par opposition mostly...

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That sounds like our purchase of Lindelof last summer. This summer if we need anything on CBs, its an immediate upgrade. Doesn't sound like Mina is one based on your description.
Just wondering if maybe its all a smokescreen, and we are using the Mina connection to put pressure on Spurs to sell Alderweireld...?

Just wondering if maybe its all a smokescreen, and we are using the Mina connection to put pressure on Spurs to sell Alderweireld...?
I don’t think it’s a smokescreen from us - it’s a smoke out from his agent. He’s using us to try and get firm interest from other clubs across Europe.

Barry Red

Would be good business by Barca, potentially getting back three times or more than what they paid in just six months after deciding he isn’t good enough for them.

Seems like a Mourinho type player, whether he is actually any better that what we have or not is very debatable though.
All true, but in today's market he's probably worth a punt, being less than half the price of Maguire and about half the price that Alderweireld would cost..

Patrick08

If I go full Muppet mode, I think he could be Everton's first priority over Rojo, which could scupper our finances from Rojo sales, so we negotiate with him so that Everton Push the Button on Rojo and get cool 30m, then we would ditch Mina and sign our first choice who ever he is, then he stays at Barca in the end.:D

Canagel

Should we not be looking for the same things they are? Just curious...

WPMUFC

i didn't think the rumours would get any worse than Maguire....yet here we are. This guy offers nothing that our current stock can't do.

If we are selling Rojo/Jones/Smalling for this kind of player....WE are the ones getting ripped off.

At this rate, i'd pay 80m to get Maguire if it means Mina is kept out of our club.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Should we not be looking for the same things they are? Just curious...
Not really. For Barca fans, Fabregas wasn't good enough, for EPL teams Fabregas would have started for every team in the league. Even Toby Alderweireld might not be good enough for them, but he is for almost all teams in the league.

crossy1686

career ending
All true, but in today's market he's probably worth a punt, being less than half the price of Maguire and about half the price that Alderweireld would cost..
Don't get this rationale. The money is there to be spent, it's not your money or my money so spend it on the best possible option for strengthening the team, not buy the cheapest option and hope it works out.

Manchester United are a company that are running a business, they have budgets set for every aspect of their business. Anyone that's ever been in charge of a budget in a work capacity will know that if you don't spend all your budget by the end of the year, you will get less budget next year. That's how budget's work.

This notion that we're some middle-aged housewife counting our pennies and stuffing money under a mattress, waiting for that one day when someone like Messi decides to move on just doesn't exist.

Champagne Football

Jose see's something in him. Maybe one for a year down the road. We can get Alderweireld for 25 million in a year so maybe Jose accepts he can't get the instant impact defender just yet and is happy to get one to develop for now.

crossy1686

career ending
i didn't think the rumours would get any worse than Maguire....yet here we are. This guy offers nothing that our current stock can't do.

If we are selling Rojo/Jones/Smalling for this kind of player....WE are the ones getting ripped off.

At this rate, i'd pay 80m to get Maguire if it means Mina is kept out of our club.
I second this. If the budget is there we should sign the best possible option, not settle for average. We've got stacks of average already.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Jose see's something in him. Maybe one for a year down the road. We can get Alderweireld for 25 million in a year so maybe Jose accepts he can't get the instant impact defender just yet and is happy to get one to develop for now.
or maybe we'll add him because the alternative would be not adding anyone at all.

Nick7

In today's market he is worth €12m which is what Barca bought him for.

Status
Not open for further replies.