Yet another Tactical Masterclass from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Whoop whoop!

Le Red

;) You guys are so harsh criticizing the starting system.

We control the game when we use the same 352 formation against PSG, and then we lost when we field a more attacking 4231 formation against them. Last time we play attacking 4222 formation against Leipzig, we weren't that good until Bruno and Rashford subs won us that game comfortably.

I agree with Ole this time to use 352 at the start. Initial planning is to control and nick a win. We made two shit defense moments giving them two goals, and then our master plan (likely our only plan) goes kapuut. It's like we didn't prepare at all if our plan didn't work. Terrible.

The problems are his decision makings and player selection changes made after that are just pure trash.
This is precisely why I switched to the Ole out camp.
Ole is not the hopeless idiot some people are painting. He obviously has great man managing skills, gives a fair amount of opportunities to the players, and makes interesting setup choices.
However, his inability to react to what is happening during a game is the worst I can recall in any manager of a club of our stature, by far. This is killing us right now and things will only get worse as more and more people realise it.

PS. I hate the Glazers and still maintain they are the main responsibles for our failures, but that doesn't exonerate Ole.
This season we could have built a squad to challenge for the PL and the UCL, but the Glazers held back, that's on them. Still, the squad is good enough to comfortably stay in top 4 and advance out of the group stages of the UCL. The fact we didn't is on Ole.
Two wrongs don't make a right. The Glazers are a disease to the club but Ole is aggravating the symptoms.

treble_winner

This is precisely why I switched to the Ole out camp.
Ole is not the hopeless idiot some people are painting. He obviously has great man managing skills, gives a fair amount of opportunities to the players, and makes interesting setup choices.
However, his inability to react to what is happening during a game is the worst I can recall in any manager of a club of our stature, by far. This is killing us right now and things will only get worse as more and more people realise it.

PS. I hate the Glazers and still maintain they are the main responsibles for our failures, but that doesn't exonerate Ole.
This season we could have built a squad to challenge for the PL and the UCL, but the Glazers held back, that's on them. Still, the squad is good enough to comfortably stay in top 4 and advance out of the group stages of the UCL. The fact we didn't is on Ole.
Two wrongs don't make a right. The Glazers are a disease to the club but Ole is aggravating the symptoms.
If we change manager now, who do you think will be a great fit? What if we bring in someone with good tactical response during games but with worse man-managing skills than Ole? That would disrupt the supposed "rebuild" we are doing. We need Ole's man-managing skills and his sense of the club's ethos for this rebuild. I'd only change to a new manager if he got a better tactical level AND the same fit for the club's rebuild.

Le Red

Replaced what? We replaced Lukaku with 33 years old Cavani who can’t play week in week out. We signed Mkhy & Sanchez as winger and we got rid of them without replacing them and now people are still talking about signing winger. We still have Matic, Pogba, Bailly and as what you said Jose’s signing Lindelof. The fact that those players are still in the club and people are still talking about replacement for Matic, Pogba and one more centre back should sums it up.

No one is telling you celebrate. Don’t waste people time with your sarcasm.

How?

I bet you can’t tell me how because you just randomly said that.

No one say it’s achievement. It’s about making progress step by step, you don’t go jump from born baby straight to Olympic runners. You learn how to stand first, walk next and then run. Not rocket science.

The expectation this season before the season even started or even before the transfer window even open was to close the gaps from last season. Last season we were 33 points gaps with Liverpool ffs!! You want to close that gaps and to do so is by getting 80 points or plus.

It’s not about point tallies but it’s about closing the gaps with the title holder.
I don't see the progress you're mentioning. Last season we were saved by a freakish Fernandes induced post-Covid run. We don't have that surprise factor anymore so we're left with the reality that we are still shit.
Your opinion suggests you want to see how the rest of the season unfolds but you should already be able to see the writing on the wall.

Greck

If we change manager now, who do you think will be a great fit? What if we bring in someone with good tactical response during games but with worse man-managing skills than Ole? That would disrupt the supposed "rebuild" we are doing. We need Ole's man-managing skills and his sense of the club's ethos for this rebuild. I'd only change to a new manager if he got a better tactical level AND the same fit for the club's rebuild.
Now you're just reaching. Why not ask what if we bring someone who actually has a clue about all aspects of management? What's so special about Ole's man management that it needs to be kept at all costs?

el3mel

I get the impression that some people think that finishing in the top four 2 years in a row is progress. Apparently this hasn't happened since Fergie retired and should be seen as an achievement.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't we used to rip it out of Arsenal fans for celebrating that every season under Wenger.
Well, we have become far worse than Arsenal fans. We used to mock them for the 4th place trophy. Little did we know several years later a good bunch of our fans will be talking about finishing 3rd with 66 points as some sort of a miracle. We used to mock Liverpool for being trophyless for years, didn't know that in the future we would be also talking about reaching a bunch of semi finals as sort of progress.

We became what we were always mocking. Well, I guess this our deserved punishment.

Le Red

I don't have a personal preference for next manager and I agree with you, we've already been burnt by coaches lauded as master tacticians that didn't quite fit our mould.
I also think the so called "rebuild" is just a word that's been thrown around frequently to justify our current state. We are not in the middle of a rebuild anymore, the coach is a good time at the helm and has a young squad with talented players and new signings.
Football teams are rebuilding themselves all the time, as seasons unfold, but I've never seen it used as an excuse for failure for such an extended period of time as with MUFC.
Ultimately, I've seem enough evidence that Ole doesn't have what it takes to get us further than where we are now, and we're far from acceptable.
Still, he did sort our overall mood and ethos, as you put it, and that is one of my biggest concerns. Keep him too long and even what he did right sinks with him. Appoint a good manager that understands that identity and he can maintain it, but add solid coaching.

cheeky_backheel

It will be almost impossible to win PL or CL with Ed making football decisions, but we can still do better than we are doing with Ole.

I dont see us getting better with Ole and to keep him is to be content with where we currently are

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't see the progress you're mentioning. Last season we were saved by a freakish Fernandes induced post-Covid run. We don't have that surprise factor anymore so we're left with the reality that we are still shit.
Your opinion suggests you want to see how the rest of the season unfolds but you should already be able to see the writing on the wall.
I think everyone in here should agree that our best and most enjoyable matches post Sir Alex came from Ole and our players that weren’t rated under Mourinho showed improvement last season under Ole. I could keep going on to talk about this but it’s not the main argument. You can agree and disagree on this one.

However, you cannot tell me if we can achieve top 4 with 80 points or plus this season it means is a progress from what we did last season. The expectation this season was to close the gaps with Liverpool and you cannot come into conclusion right now if it’s already written impossible on the wall because in reality we are only 5 points off from Liverpool with one game in our hand. In my opinion the final assessment should be judged end of the season as long as it’s still possible for us to reach top 4 with 80 points.

Slysi17

Ole isn't good enough. Simple as that. He needs to go. But we need a manager that plays attacking football, develops young players and gives them a chance. There are way better managers out there than Ole who fit that. Don't want Allergi as he is the opposite of that.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
He set us up to lose that game.

Going into the game with 5 defenders and two sitting midfielders straight away showed his negative approach. We had no out ball and were camped in our own half. Just playing that formation puts it into the players head we were there for a draw. We needed an extra man in midfield - most likely Pogba - to be able to keep hold of the ball and give RB something to think about in the attacking third. As soon as they see only 3 attacking players, they must of got a boast.

It is the managers job to get the players ready for these games, making sure they are aware of tactics, what to expect and how to react to different scenarios on the pitch. We looked like a team thrown together at the last minute with no idea what to do.

Then when it was obviously not working, we kept playing the same way for the rest of the half, where we should have been well out of the game. He was almost saved by individuals again.

If this game doesn't show fans that Ole is out of his depth, then I am not sure what will.

People may say hindsight is easy, but I am sure there were plenty of fans predicting this type of result as soon as the lineup was announced.

RashyForPM

Sad thing is the first page is filled with people agreeing with the OP. Some of our fans are so blinded.

RashyForPM

Now you're just reaching. Why not ask what if we bring someone who actually has a clue about all aspects of management? What's so special about Ole's man management that it needs to be kept at all costs?
And why is there this myth that he even has good man-management? Because he doesn’t have the balls to have a go at his players, so leaves it to Bruno? Because he doesn’t throw them under the bus in pressers?

Mourinho has better man-management than Ole. There I said it. Our players are just weak-minded bottlejobs who can’t take some home truths, like Martial when Jose called him lazy or Pogba when Jose called him a virus. Look at Spurs. Son and Kane were already hardworking before he arrived, but he battered Ndombele in public, calling him fat, lazy etc, and look how the Frenchman has reacted. Terry, Lampard, Eto’o, Zanetti, Zlatan etc all got the Mourinho treatment, and all still fell in love with him as a manager and cried when he left. This is why many fans, including myself, love this club but dislike a lot of the players.

izec

Whoop whoop indeed.

The poster is so far in Ole‘s ass, i doubt we will see him once Ole gets sacked. He is a top red though, support your manager to eternity and all that. It was a masterclass from our players.

Sparky Rhiwabon

And why is there this myth that he even has good man-management? Because he doesn’t have the balls to have a go at his players, so leaves it to Bruno? Because he doesn’t throw them under the bus in pressers?

Mourinho has better man-management than Ole. There I said it. Our players are just weak-minded bottlejobs who can’t take some home truths, like Martial when Jose called him lazy or Pogba when Jose called him a virus. Look at Spurs. Son and Kane were already hardworking before he arrived, but he battered Ndombele in public, calling him fat, lazy etc, and look how the Frenchman has reacted. Terry, Lampard, Eto’o, Zanetti, Zlatan etc all got the Mourinho treatment, and all still fell in love with him as a manager and cried when he left. This is why many fans, including myself, love this club but dislike a lot of the players.
Another example is De Gea - when Henderson came on at half time against Southampton I was pleasantly surprised - he had finally grown some balls and dealt with the issue. But then I find out that De Gea was merely injured, and was reinstated at the first opportunity against Leipzig, where De Gea again cost us a goal, making himself smaller for their third goal.

gajender

Ole is not good enough but rewriting history about Mourinho's tenure here is also laughable and for what Tottenham's good form for Quarter of this season ,all the talk him being back to his best with Tottenham is bit premature and him being let down by United is also rubbish peddled by some United supporters and all the names you mentioned of players in Awe of him happened in early part of his career when he was truly a Great manager which no longer is the case.

RashyForPM

Another example is De Gea - when Henderson came on at half time against Southampton I was pleasantly surprised - he had finally grown some balls and dealt with the issue. But then I find out that De Gea was merely injured, and was reinstated at the first opportunity against Leipzig, where De Gea again cost us a goal, making himself smaller for their third goal.
This is all true and to add on to that, I was sure De Gea was dropped against West Ham for Henderson. There, Henderson also played well (he’s one of the players unanimously liked by all us fans actually) and set up a goal with a truly magnificent curved long ball. Instead of making it a watershed moment for DDG, he duly reinstates him to the team and DDG pussies out of a challenge against a kid, conceding what was ultimately a winning goal. That is a shocking man-management. I imagine Henderson is quite pissed off now.

RashyForPM

Ole is not good enough but rewriting history about Mourinho's tenure here is also laughable and for what Tottenham's good form for Quarter of this season ,all the talk him being back to his best with Tottenham is bit premature and him being let down by United is also rubbish peddled by some United supporters and all the names you mentioned of players in Awe of him happened in early part of his career when he was truly a Great manager which no longer is the case.
I’m not rewriting anything. My post was opinion based on facts, like his harsh pressers on Martial, Pogba and Ndombele. Also, Zlatan still enjoyed a good relationship with him at United, and that was only 3 years ago. His 28 goals in all competitions is still the highest of any United striker in a particular season since RvP and Fergie in 2013! Mourinho is still a great manager. This Spurs team do not have the quality to be top of the league after almost a third of the season. Put it this way, they wouldn’t be if Poch or Ole was manager.

Also, I’d like a reply to my point on Ndombele. He was let down by our players. That is not rubbish whatsoever. Why did Ndombele not leak anything to the press ala Pogba after Jose consistently hounded him last season in front of a global audience, and instead just got his head down and won Jose over? Even Shaw, I think he reacted very well to Jose’s tough love. Tell me, why couldn’t Pogba and Martial? In that sense, he was wronged by the players. Mourinho is still a top manager, and in my books level with Pep and just slightly behind Klopp and Flick in terms of the best in the world.

Le Red

I think everyone in here should agree that our best and most enjoyable matches post Sir Alex came from Ole and our players that weren’t rated under Mourinho showed improvement last season under Ole. I could keep going on to talk about this but it’s not the main argument. You can agree and disagree on this one.

However, you cannot tell me if we can achieve top 4 with 80 points or plus this season it means is a progress from what we did last season. The expectation this season was to close the gaps with Liverpool and you cannot come into conclusion right now if it’s already written impossible on the wall because in reality we are only 5 points off from Liverpool with one game in our hand. In my opinion the final assessment should be judged end of the season as long as it’s still possible for us to reach top 4 with 80 points.
I agree in part with you. Ole is capable of brilliant moments, but the inconsistency is baffling.
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you have Pep in your pocket when you're dropping points left and right to mid and low table teams. It's useless to humble Leipzig only to lose in the next fixture to Istanbul and then lose to the same Leipzig when it matters the most.
I don't doubt we can achieve 80 points, but that feels like the ceiling. Also, it would be completely outrageous not to improve over the shameful 66 points with Bruno in the squad for the full season, so even a better points tally doesn't mean necessarily that Ole did a better job, but that the squad was improved.
I think Ole has merits. He definitely brought a grassroots vibe that was sorely missed, young players have been given protagonism, we saw much less of that snorefest football and that dark cloud over the club was temporarily blown away. All of these are great.
When reality kicks in, though, we had enough of a sample that he lacks the qualities of a title winning coach, namely consistency and in game management, the latter being absolutely dreadful.
I'd rather have the Ole period used as momentum for a follow up project under a better overall manager because the aforementioned dark cloud is coming back and it will wash away all of Ole’s accomplishments.

Hellboy

You guys are still defending him after what he said in his press conference about the Man United DNA and going for the win. Then why did he play 7 defensive minded players against no strikers ?

What an absolute disgrace you are for still backing this clown :lol:

R'hllor

First post of this thread
Holy shit, first pages are a gold mine for quoting. Similar to drivel when they compared Ole with Southampton manager, ignoring squads quality. They thoo Ole took a dump on PSG and hipster manager how they calling those that some United fans rate but at the end its only us who got dumped in CL.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Whoop whoop indeed.

The poster is so far in Ole‘s ass, i doubt we will see him once Ole gets sacked. He is a top red though, support your manager to eternity and all that. It was a masterclass from our players.
Have never understood this term, and certainly never as an insult or a bad thing to be. So there you go.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
First post of this thread
I stand by what I wrote: Ole has masterminded many great tactical wins.
He also get's it wrong sometimes. Big deal. Happens to every manager.
His only problem is he has people masquerading as supporters who don't understand how difficult it is to lead this club.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
His ole problem is he has people masquerading as supporters who don't understand how difficult it is to lead this club.
I wasn't criticizing your post tbh.

jamesjimmybyrondean

His ole problem is he has people masquerading as supporters who don't understand how difficult it is to lead this club.
His job is to coach the players not lead the club. Maybe this is the problem. If you're judging Ole's on whether he is leading the club well then you can say he's doing a decent job since his signings have been good, he's brought harmony to the squad etc. But if you're judging him only on whether he is coaching the players well enough then you'd see that he is not good enough as we don't have a defined style of play or identity, our performances (not results) are inconsistent, his in game management is mostly poor etc

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Whoop whoop indeed.

The idea that one fan could be better than other is bemusing.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
You're wrong to have created this abomination of a thread.
I know that this was made to counter knee-jerk threads but this in itself was a knee-jerk thread. Very silly indeed.
Accept it. You're wrong to have created this thread.
Stop writing stuffs like "people don't understand.... but I do". No, you don't understand. Stop making stupid threads. You know as much as GlastonSpur when he went to India without GoogleMaps.

R'hllor

Woot

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You're wrong to have created this abomination of a thread.
I know that this was made to counter knee-jerk threads but this in itself was a knee-jerk thread. Very silly indeed.
Accept it. You're wrong to have created this thread.
Stop writing stuffs like "people don't understand.... but I do". No, you don't understand. Stop making stupid threads. You know as much as GlastonSpur when he went to India without GoogleMaps.
Im proud of supporting my club and its manager and enjoying our wins to the hilt. It's what following a football club is all about for me. I certainly won't spend time thinking about my club as a means for getting manically depressed or being so narcitissic that my views have impact on how its run.

So I dont accept the premise in your post at all. So what now?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
His job is to coach the players not lead the club. Maybe this is the problem. If you're judging Ole's on whether he is leading the club well then you can say he's doing a decent job since his signings have been good, he's brought harmony to the squad etc. But if you're judging him only on whether he is coaching the players well enough then you'd see that he is not good enough as we don't have a defined style of play or identity, our performances (not results) are inconsistent, his in game management is mostly poor etc
Amongst the very best results this calendar year. Sorry, you have zero stats to back up your view.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I'm still not sure what else Ole could've done. DDG in goal, 3 CB's, 2 full backs (lets not even try to claim they're wing backs) AND two defensive midfielders. Then as an outlet we have Bruno with two lethal strikers to pick out. I fail to see how conceding 3 goals in 30mins is down the formation alone?!?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Im proud of supporting my club and its manager and enjoying our wins to the hilt. It's what following a football club is all about for me. I certainly won't spend time thinking about my club as a means for getting manically depressed or being so narcitissic that my views have impact on how its run.

So I dont accept the premise in your post at all. So what now?
You're not only enjoying the wins. You wanted to piss off "Ole outs" by making a thread no better than what they made as well.
People said when Jose was at Utd the fanbase here were toxic. But as it stands, they're no better. Threads after threads are created to mock each other. This thread is one of the examples.

"Ole out at all cost!" vs "My dad is Ole".

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Amongst the very best results this calendar year. Sorry, you have zero stats to back up your view.
I don't know how we are so consistent that every time I look at the table we are constantly behind chasing top 4 and bottling cup competitions

Greck

You're not only enjoying the wins. You wanted to piss off "Ole outs" by making a thread no better than what they made as well.
People said when Jose was at Utd the fanbase here were toxic. But as it stands, they're no better. Threads after threads are created to mock each other. This thread is one of the examples.

"Ole out at all cost!" vs "My dad is Ole".
That poster is incredibly abusive and the biggest gloater on the forum
Don't forget his toxicity in the Ole thread at the end of last season.
Pemra ban recommended for every Ole hater. Purge the fcukers.
So what if you have reservations? No one cares you narcissist!
When no-one expected him yo make it? Even woodward?
you're gutted he wasn't. Boo Hoo. Such a shame you cant enjoy today like the rest of us.
So you like to express your opinion, but cant take it when others ridicule your opinion for being wrong? Is that it?
You are also welcome to wish for whatever you like. But thankfully you are no way close to the decision making at Manchester United.
Your 'opinion' has been proven to be plainly wrong. You were wrong. Take that gracefully instead of whinging and you might even learn something.
In reality, all you have achieved is making yourself get upset, not allowed yourself to fully enjoy the whole point of supporting a football club, and set yourself up for a totally unachievable outcome into the future.
Perhaps you should ask yourself why you are following this team.
Apparently top 4 was only to be enjoyed by people who were pro-ole. This thread was just another in a long list of 1ups

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
That poster is incredibly abusive and the biggest gloater on the forum
Don't forget his toxicity in the Ole thread after we got top 4 last season.

This thread was just another in a long list
Indeed! I felt like calling him out on his BS (so thanks for the quotes) and this might be the only time to do so because if we win the next game, you can bet your house that he will be spreading words about how Ole is the 3rd best manager after Klopp and Pep. I mean I don't like excess negativity either but here there's also this kind of delusion that is just as bad as constant moaning. It makes me feel itchy, especially when there's "I'm more knowledgeable than you on how to be a good supporter of the club" on top of it.

b82REZ

Indeed! I felt like calling him out on his BS (so thanks for the quotes) and this might be the only time to do so because if we win the next game, you can bet your house that he will be spreading words about how Ole is the 3rd best manager after Klopp and Pep. I mean I don't like excess negativity either but here there's also this kind of delusion that is just as bad as constant moaning. It makes me feel itchy, especially when there's "I'm more knowledgeable than you on how to be a good supporter of the club" on top of it.
I mean the guy is clearly a troll. Not sure how he's escaped the ban hammer for so long. The fact most of his posts get ignored beyond the other Ole In acolytes suggests most people have cottoned on to him

Marat

Il's time to move on with a coach experienced. Ole makes a lot of terrible choices in his lines up