You’re the new United manager, which players do you keep?

ToToMarshall

I stopped reading once you said you wanted Lindelöf to stay
I just think there's a long list of players that I want to go, and he'd be nowhere near the top. I think Lindelöf could benefit from playing in a system that encourages him to play to his strengths, it might be worth giving him one more season.

ToToMarshall

We need a phased approach over 2-3 windows, but there is a lot of deadwood to clear out.

Replace ASAP
Darmian - Not good enough.
Jones, too injury prone, decent when fit; but that's rare - so need to get rid.
Rojo, decent CB, but we have enough decent ones, we need a WC one, surplus to requirements.
Mata, was a great player at Chelsea, was decent at times for us, just does nothing for us anymore.

We need a proper Right Winger, a top class centre back immediately. The guys above need to move on to get those people in.

Replace Soon
Herrera,
Fellaini,
Lingard,
Valencia,
Young,

The midfielders need to be replaced to improve the overall quality of the squad/team. They don't push the "first team" guys hard enough, and when bought on are limited in what they do. Right now we see Pogba/Sanchez stinking the place up, Matic is hardly pulling up any trees either, but the replacements aren't good enough. Your backups need to be good enough to replace the first team when they're not in form, ours aren't.

The fullbacks are just ageing and are currently being pushed out of the squad by younger replacements. Long term we need to consider replacing these guys either with first team quality FB's or backups to push Dalot/Shaw.

Wait and See
Pogba, Does he want out, or is this just limited to Mourinho. If he's inconsistent under a new manager, i'd sell whilst his value and marketability is high.

Sanchez, Out of form, or finished? We need to take some time to tell. If he is declining, we need to ship out.

Martial, is he being held back, is he misused, is he just lazy? We need a new manager to give him a run and find out.

Bailly & Lindelof, i thought one day these guys would be our Rio and Vidic, whether they can remains to be seen. Need to give them some time to develop, build a partnership. If by summer 2020 they're still shite, get rid.

Lukaku, I'm not saying we need to replace him but in his careers he's always had highs and lows. During the low periods he doesn't score, we need to consider where the goals come from in the team when this is the case. Maybe that's rotating in Rashford/Martial as direct competition, or buying in a striker for that purpose.

Some of these guys are out of form, others might be stalled in progression, we need time and a fresh pair of eyes to see how it goes with them.
Agree with almost all of this to be honest

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I wouldn’t keep:

Sanchez
Lukaku
Mata
Fellaini
Young
Darmian
Valencia
Lindelof
Jones or Bailley(undecided)
Pogba(undecided)

Next season after clear out:

De Gea
Benjamin Pavard/Achraf Hakimi/Dalot - Maguire/Jones - Smalling/Bailly/Pavard - Shaw/Gaya
Matic/McTominay/Herrera
Fred/Lingard - Pogba/Foden/Peirera
Dembele/Phil Foden - Dybala/Arnautovic - Rashford/Martial​

Last edited:

WalkerTheRed

I wouldn’t keep:

Sanchez
Lukaku
Mata
Fellaini
Young
Darmian
Valencia
Lindelof
Pogba(undecided)

De Gea
Benjamin Pavard/Achraf Hakimi/Dalot - Maguire/Jones - Smalling/Bailly/Pavard - Shaw/Gaya
Matic/McTominay/Herrera
:lol::houllier::lol::houllier::lol:

RedCurry

De Gea, Smalling, Shaw, Dalot, Young, Pogba, Herrera, Martial, Rashford, Pereira.

Maybe Romero, Bailly, Lingard, Fellaini, Lukaku.

In football manager, I would actively seek to sell everyone else.

Red00012

I wouldn’t keep:

Sanchez
Lukaku
Mata
Fellaini
Young
Darmian
Valencia
Lindelof
Pogba(undecided)

De Gea
Matic/McTominay/Herrera
You do realise Foden plays with the blue side yes ?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
In terms of a first 11

---------------------------DDG-----------------------
New RB--------Smalling-------Bailly-----------New Left Back (but would keep Shaw)
------------Matic----------------------Fred------------
New RW----------------Pogba------------Sanchez
--------------------------Rom--------------------------

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
De Gea, Smalling, Shaw, Dalot, Young, Pogba, Herrera, Martial, Rashford, Pereira.

Maybe Romero, Bailly, Lingard, Fellaini, Lukaku.

In football manager, I would actively seek to sell everyone else.
De Gea, Dalot, Baillie, Smalling, Shaw, Pereira, Fred, Herrera, Lingard, Martial, Rashford.

I would get rid of Valencia, Young, Jones (like him, despite his occasional mistakes, but injury prone), Rojo, Lindelof, Mata, Fellaini, Pogba, Matic, Lukaku. Bring in Chong, Gomes, Laird, Garner.

Jacob

Stay
Goalkeepers

De Gea - Best keeper in the world.
Romero - Great backup.
Grant - Good third choice.

Defenders
Bailly - Can become one of the worlds best.
Smalling - Good backup.
Shaw - Still a lot of potential.
Dalot - Just came so give him a chance.

Midfielders
Pogba - World class if he puts his mind to it.
Fred - Just came so give him a chance.
Matic - Fantastic player.
Mctominay - Good backup.

Forwards
Rashford - Still a lot of potential.
Martial - Can become a special player.

Go
Defenders

Jones - Not good enough. Injured all the time and always has an error in him.
Young - Past it.
Valencia - Past it.
Lindelof - Not good enough for the Premier League.
Rojo - Not good enough.

Midfielders
Fellaini - Not good enough.
Mata - Past it.
Herrera - Not good enough.

Forwards
Lingard - Would have left years ago if Ferguson was still in charge.
Lukaku - Everton/Watford level at best.
Agree with this with the exception of McTominay. He is only decent at best, a romantic choice because he's a graduate. Other than, as unremarkable as it gets.

I would also keep Fellaini as a get-out-of-jail card up front in the last minute of games. Provided that he is happy to play such a limited role.

I'm torn between keeping Herrera or not. He could be a good backup to have if you need to rotate or have many mids injured.

Having said that, I couldn't give a feck about United anymore. I've watched one or two games at most this season, and this is not because I don't have the time.

RyRy11

As long as Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata, Valencia, Young, Smalling and Jones go within the first season I wouldn't really care about anyone else.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Like others have said, we should differentiate between the players who we want to keep in the short-term and the players who we want to keep in the long-term.
Realistically speaking, there are only so many players we can get rid of in any one given transfer window given that there are only so many players we can sign as replacements in that same window. IMO, most clubs rarely sign more than five players in the summer transfer window, so if we wanted to maintain the size of the squad, we would have to sell no more than five players. FWIW, I think the size of our squad is a tad bloated, so selling more than five players next summer would be a sensible move.

As for choosing which players to keep, the decision should be based on three factors: age, consistency, and potential. Obviously, a lot of our players would fail this season in terms of being consistent, so judging them on age and ability would probably make sense.

Keep (Long-Term):
  • de Gea
  • Lindelof
  • Bailly
  • Pogba
  • Martial
  • Lingard
  • Fred
  • Dalot
  • Shaw

Keep (Short-Term):
  • Sanchez
  • Lukaku
  • Rashford
  • Pereira
  • Young
  • Romero
  • Fosu-Mensah
  • Tuanzebe
  • Matic
  • Valencia
  • Gomes

Sell:
  • Jones
  • Mata
  • Smalling
  • Rojo
  • Herrera
  • Fellaini
  • Darmian
  • McTominay

For clarification, the players who would I keep in the short-term can be broken down into two segments: those who are relatively good but ageing, and those who are young but are either unproven or probably lack top-end potential.

Also, you have to analyse this in terms of the squad as a whole. Not every player I want to keep in the long-term is someone who should be a consistent starter in the first XI. For instance, I would keep Lingard in the long-term mainly as depth as opposed to being a guaranteed starter.

Shark

@NotShark
Stay
Goalkeepers

De Gea
Romero
Grant

Defenders

Rojo
Smalling
Shaw
Dalot

Midfielders

Pogba
Fred
Matic
Pereira

Forwards

Lingard
Martial

Go
Defenders
Bailly

Jones
Darmian
Young
Valencia
Lindelof

Midfielders

Fellaini
Mctominay
Herrera
Mata

Forwards

Lukaku
Rashford
Sanchez
Think you've been the only person to list Bailly so far, when there's probably a good argument to be made to cut our losses. He obviously has potential, but his early form reputation is sort of preceding itself. Does anyone genuinely remember the last decent game he's had?

Irwin99

Think you've been the only person to list Bailly so far, when there's probably a good argument to be made to cut our losses. He obviously has potential, but his early form reputation is sort of preceding itself. Does anyone genuinely remember the last decent game he's had?
I wouldn't get rid just yet but I have big doubts about him and I think he gets overrated by some. Staying fit is just one of his problems. Lindelof has looked dodgy ever since he arrived and I have no faith in Rojo or Jones. Smalling is the only decent and consistent centre back we have but we all know it's a struggle if we want to play him and play out from the back.

If i'm honest, i'd like to see a lot of these players go (especially a lot of those that were here under Fergie and Moyes). I think a lot of players are nearing the end of their contracts anyway. I'm really not liking Jose at the moment but when he was asked about the quality of some of the players that have left United over the past few years he said 'look where they are now'. Some of these players when they're let go will be heading straight to Everton, West Ham, etc and that is their level.

arnie_ni

Not 100 who id keep, but i know who id drop and sell.

Jones
Rojo
Valencia
Matic
Fellaini
Lukaku

Sanchez will get a chance because i know there's a class player there

Id play

De gea
Dalot
Lindeloff
Smalling
Shaw
Herrera
Pereira
Fred
Pogba
Martial
Rashford

It would be a 4 4 2 diamond. Width will be provided by the full backs who are effectively playing as wingers. High press leaving with 2 cbs and holding midfr (Herrera) to sit.

Im happy to win and even lose some games 3-2 4-3 to start until the end of the season. My aim would be to play front foot attacking football, score goals and get the players enjoying football again.

It would be a similar formation to real Madrid with casimiero isco modric and kross in midfield. Obviously not as talented as that though

redshaw

Defence I'd keep Dalot (see what he's like) Shaw and De Gea. None of the others hold up to players like Vidic Rio Stam Bruce Pally and are too injury prone.

Red00012

Foden being named twice is just used to indicate the multiple roles, I would like him to occupy.

Ok....That has not stopped players in the past from switching clubs.
The chances of their biggest prospect coming through their youth system in years moving to Utd are slim to none.

Some of you guys are over complicating things - we still need a squad not just a starting 11.

The ones who need to go:

Jones
Rojo
Lindeolf
Young
Valencia
Fellaini
Mata

NJM78

Keep everyone bar McTominay, Valencia, Young, Darmian, Jones, Rojo, Mata, Herrera and probably Sanchez if we could offload him to China. Wouldn’t be opposed to selling Lukaku either.

Get the likes of Gomes and Chong out on loan for real experience and bring back Fosu Mensah, Tuanzebe.

This team needs three top class first team additions (CB, CM & RW) to play alongside De Gea, Dalot, Bailly, Shaw, Fred, Pogba, Martial, Rashford. These are who I would build team around.
Lingard, Matic, Pereira, Fellaini, Smalling, Fosu Mensah, Lindelof, Tuanzebe as back up.

lex talionis

Some of you guys are over complicating things - we still need a squad not just a starting 11.

The ones who need to go:

Jones
Rojo
Lindeolf
Young
Valencia
Fellaini
Mata
This is a good list but it's unrealistic to believe we're going to find suitable replacements for these 7 players in in the January transfer window.

I would prune out Jones and Rojo ASAP on grounds that they're useless and completely surplus to requirements, and it shouldn't be difficult to bring Fosu-Mensah back to begin a proper apprenticeship.

Keep Lindelof as a third or fourth choice CB. Dump next summer if it's not working out in the second half of the season.

Keep Young for the rest of this season, but this has to be the end of it for him at OT.

Valencia can "do a job" for the rest of this season, which is almost shot already, but he should retire this summer or at least move on to a club with lower ambitions in Turkey or wherever.

Dismiss Fellaini in January, who admittedly has turned in a few solid performances so far this season but was never a proper United footballer and whose mere presence means we play with 10 men as we plod our way to hoofing it up to him.

Mata is a very decent squad man, but this season has to be the end of it for him as well at OT.

January 2019: Jones, Rojo and Fellaini
Summer 2019: Young, Valencia and Mata
On probation: Lindelof

AllezLesDiables

Depends on the next manager and their style.

Outside of DeGea no one player should feel safe.

Lots of dead weight on the team at the moment.

Midfield needs to be revamped. Center backs need to be revamped

Lukaku is not a target man.

This is a good list but it's unrealistic to believe we're going to find suitable replacements for these 7 players in in the January transfer window.

I would prune out Jones and Rojo ASAP on grounds that they're useless and completely surplus to requirements, and it shouldn't be difficult to bring Fosu-Mensah back to begin a proper apprenticeship.

Keep Lindelof as a third or fourth choice CB. Dump next summer if it's not working out in the second half of the season.

Keep Young for the rest of this season, but this has to be the end of it for him at OT.

Valencia can "do a job" for the rest of this season, which is almost shot already, but he should retire this summer or at least move on to a club with lower ambitions in Turkey or wherever.

Dismiss Fellaini in January, who admittedly has turned in a few solid performances so far this season but was never a proper United footballer and whose mere presence means we play with 10 men as we plod our way to hoofing it up to him.

Mata is a very decent squad man, but this season has to be the end of it for him as well at OT.

January 2019: Jones, Rojo and Fellaini
Summer 2019: Young, Valencia and Mata
On probation: Lindelof
I tried to keep it simple so I choose the weakest players in each postion - i would sell these players in the summer. If we could get rid of some in Jan that would be great.

Jones, Rojo and Lindelof - buy two new CBs and promote Tunazebe.

Valencia and Young - buy an LB to rotate with Shaw. RB we could use fosu mensah to rotate with Dalot.

Mata and Fellaini - buy an RW to replace Mata, Fellaini we don't need to replace as such

ken11

Stay
Goalkeepers

Romero - Great backup.
Grant - Good third choice.

Defenders
Bailly - Can become one of the worlds best.
Smalling - Good backup.
Shaw - Still a lot of potential.

Midfielders
Pogba - World class if he puts his mind to it.
Matic - Fantastic player.
Mctominay - Good backup.

Forwards
Martial - Can become a special player.

Go
Defenders

Young - Past it.
Valencia - Past it.
Rojo - Not good enough.

Midfielders
Mata - Past it.

Forwards
I have to say, I agree with everything except I'd like to keep Jesse Lingard as a squad player.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I literally would happily sell the entire squad bar 3-5 players.

As has been the case for over 5 years, we have a squad and team that is abundant in average/mid-table players.

We spent some money but we never had a season where we were really aggressive like Real were in 2009.

They spent mega money, signed superstars and went from average to excellent in one season. From there, they have had nothing but success.

I can’t see us being a top team in the next couple of years. The market is now so tough that top players go for £200m. And we need so much.

davidmichael

I’d say a list of who to keep is easier and shorter so I’d keep De Gea, Dalot, Smalling (as he’s always fit), Shaw, Fred, Matic, Pereira, Pogba, Lingard, Martial, Rashford and Lukaku from what’s in our first team squad and then I’d include Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe as well so that’s a total of 14 first team players which says a lot about the dross we’ve bought over the past 5 years and not everyone I’ve named above would be more than squad players for me either.

wolvored

Stay
Goalkeepers

Periera - Should be No 2

Defenders
Bailly - Give him another season
Smalling - Good backup.
Shaw - Seems to be improving

Midfielders
Pogba - Very good if he puts his mind to it.
Mctominay - Average player but still young
Periera - Try him further forward

Forwards

Martial - Still possible to come good

Go
Romero Should play for someone as first choice
Grant Should never have been here

Defenders

Young - Past it.
Valencia - Past it.
Rojo - Not good enough.

Midfielders
Mata - Past it.
Matic - Starts ok but fading fast especially through the season

Forwards

Sanchez - Big flop on outrageous money

wolvored

I'm going to Bold the players I think we should be rid of, will it be realistic? No, but genuinely I believe these players should not be in the team.

Goalkeepers

David De Gea
Lee Grant - Not sure why we signed him to be honest...
Sergio Romero
Joel Pereira

Defenders

Victor Lindelof
Eric Bailly
Phil Jones - Been here long enough, calamitous, injury prone, need I say more
Chris Smalling - Great one day, garbage the next, no consistency, shouldn't be here
Marcos Rojo - Not an awful player but don't believe he's up to standard
Ashley Young - Bang average, can occassionally whip in a good cross, otherwise crap

Diogo Dalot
Luke Shaw
Antonio Valencia - Don't renew contract after this season, getting on now, so one footed
Matteo Darmian - Been average since he got here which is a shame.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Axel Tuanzebe

Midfielders

Paul Pogba
Juan Mata - Lovely guy but just doesn't contribute anything anymore.
Jesse Lingard - His career has been nothing but average except for a few months.

Andreas Pereira
Fred - He's new, I just don't see what he really brings, doesn't do anything exceptional
Ander Herrera
Marouane Fellaini - Bent us over for a contract, average, no top team would have him.
Nemanja Matic - Just seems slow and ponderous, personally think he's past his best.
Scott McTominay - Only plays because he's homegrown, average, we wouldn't sign him.

Forwards

Alexis Sanchez - Astronomical wages for the dross he's served up, looks half the player.
Romelu Lukaku - Not a title winning forward in my opinion, offers nothing but minnow goals.

Marcus Rashford
Anthony Martial

That leaves us with these players, and now in bold these are players I would try to sign in the next couple of years.

Goalkeepers

David De Gea
Sergio Romero
Joel Pereira

Defenders

Victor Lindelof
Eric Bailly
Diogo Dalot
Luke Shaw
Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Axel Tuanzebe
Milan Skriniar - Inter - 23, hell of a talent, brick wall
Matthijs de Ligt - Ajax - 19, great on the ball, can play it out from the back

Midfielders

Paul Pogba
Andreas Pereira
Ander Herrera
Ruben Neves - Wolves - 21, Commander, great debut season in Premier League so far.
Julian Weigl - Dortmund - 23, Basically Carrick, could control that midfield nicely.
Frenkie de Jong - Ajax - 21, Quality young midfielder.

Forwards

Marcus Rashford
Anthony Martial
Christian Pulisic - Dortmund - 20, Exciting young traditional winger with pace.
Timo Werner - RP Leipzig - 22, Could develop into a world class striker in my opinion.

Would genuinely love to see something like this, being utilised by the likes of Pochettino or Tuchel, woukld probably take a couple years to get fully going but to see such a young, exciting and talented team would be the dream for me.

First Team would probably look like

De Gea
Dalot - Skriniar - Bailly - Shaw
Pogba - Neves - Weigl
Pulisic - Werner - Rashford/Martial
I would love to sign those players but they wouldnt come here in our present state

Maccataq

I would get rid of:

Rojo - never really established himself and too often injured; enjoyed his battles with Costa though!
Jones - a shame but too injury prone and hasn't developed well enough as a result. His double mistake in the cup final was case in point
Darmian - why is he still here?
Valencia - great servant to the club but he is past his best and let's us down in attack. Dalot has shown him up with a couple of appearances.

I would look to move on over the next season or 2:

Fellaini - can't fault him for effort and applying his strengths but not the sort of player that should be part of our philosophy
Mata - love him as a player but he's probably past his best
Matic - ageing and not as mobile as we need to compete
Young - great servant and professional but getting on

Will get a chance to prove themselves:

Pereira - like what I have seen and deserves a run-out
TFM - successful PL loans and should get his chance
Axel - if he has a successful loan he will get his chance
Sanchez - he is far too talented to not get his chance but he will primarily play on the right
Pogba - clearly good enough but needs to prove he can do consistently and show the right attitude
Lindelof - still young and he is improving (slowly), needs more game time but shouldn't stand in the way of TFM or Tuanzebe.
McTominay - think he deserves a chance and to not be Mourinho's pawn

I'm relatively happy with the rest of the squad:

GK - we probably have the best keeper in the world, the best 2nd choice keeper in the world and a good 3rd choice too.

Defence - Smalling isn't perfect but he has been our most consistent CB over the last few seasons and is nearly always available. Bailly has shown good promise and is still young. Shaw and Dalot could be 2 of the best full backs in the game.

Midfield - Fred looks like a decent buy and could flourish in a performing team. I like Herrera and he's a big game player. Lingard is a good player, intelligent off the ball and good energy.

Attack - Rash/Martial/Lukaku can all do better in a more positive team that creates more.

We then need to buy a top class CB that ideally can be a leader too. Probably need a DM, another striker and a right winger unless some of the academy products or the players above can step up.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
De Gea
Romero
Dalot
Smalling
Shaw
Pogba
Pereira
Fred
Martial
Rashford

Indifferent about:

Matic
Fellaini

Eire Red United

Darmian and Jones probably need to go, Darnian just isn’t good enough and while I like Jones, he’s too unreliable, possibly Rojo also fits that criteria. Smalling is solid, whilst Bailly and Lindelof can still develop.

Most of the more common names coming up to be shown the door, I’d actually keep. Fellaini has his uses as we know, Young is an excellent professional and a good leader to have around the dressing room, same goes for Mata although he doesn’t offer as much as he used to on field and along with Valencia that trio should be used as cover in a bit part role.

Anyone suggesting we get rid of Pogba is mad in the head. He’s one of the most talented players in the world, just look at some of the passes he can play effortlessly thst most players can only dream of. Yes he frustrates the feck out of me as well at times but he’s the kind of player we need if we want to get back to the top.

As for players I’d definitely keep, most are replaceable, but it’s vital we keep DDG obviously, as well as Pogba. Luke Shaw, Rashford, Martial and Sanchez would be players I’d do my best to keep also if if was manager.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’d get rid off Sanchez first, he’s a monetary drain and stands in the way of martial

Then Lindelöf- bang average. Go and learn your trade elsewhere

Jones - injury prone, not developing

Young, Valencia - aging and money better used elsewhere

Lukaku- quite simply not good enough as a footballer. Look how much more fluid our team was when we replaced RVN with Saha

Mata - too slow

Rojo - injury prone

Oh nearly forgot Darmian is still alive. Get rid

lex talionis

I tried to keep it simple so I choose the weakest players in each postion - i would sell these players in the summer. If we could get rid of some in Jan that would be great.

Jones, Rojo and Lindelof - buy two new CBs and promote Tunazebe.

Valencia and Young - buy an LB to rotate with Shaw. RB we could use fosu mensah to rotate with Dalot.

Mata and Fellaini - buy an RW to replace Mata, Fellaini we don't need to replace as such
I believe Fosu-Mensah has potential, as does Tuanzebe. So no new CB buys for me. Smalling seems to have found his feet, although it could be another false dawn.

With major trophies out of reach anyway, let Valencia serve out the season at RB. Not sure whether Darmian has what it takes to perform at a consistently high level for United, but give him a shot at it. And perhaps let TFM deputize at RB from time to time.

Young is a decent squad man to fill in at either RB or LB as needed.

Definitely bring in a proper RW. Ideally Sanchez would play RW for us but Jose doesn't seem to favor that idea. Perhaps we should include Sanchez in this list but I have to believe that with proper management he'll perform at a high level once again.

The hard one, but not for me, is Fellaini. He does just enough to sustain a plausible for case for remaining at Old Trafford. But in truth he's all wrong for United, or at least any club which aspires to lift an EPL trophy.

SteveW

As a Chelsea fan, I respect Matic. But he split opinions a lot in his last year. He was benched for a lot of games too. I am surprised that not many Man Utd fans think that his lack of mobility is a handicap if you want to build a attacking team with super quick transitions.
I agree. He slows everything down. No idea why he's so highly rated here

Inter Yer Nan

I'd flog Jones, Darmian, Rojo, Lindelof, McTominay and in the summer be fine with releasing Young, Valencia and Mata. Tempted to say Fellaini but he can be a useful weapon off the bench. I'd cash in on Martial too. That's nine players so our squad would be thin even with a busy summer but I'm fine with that over a squad that's mostly meh.