You’re the new United manager, which players do you keep?

Karappa

Depends on your goals as a team, if titles are the objective then not a lot... I think there should be a second great goalkeeper to challenge de Gea who has dipped in form, the defenders are all average at best so that line needs a complete overhaul, maybe Bailly as 3rd or 4th cb and Dalot and Shaw as cover at wing back. The midfield needs an overhaul, too, the only player with the necessary quality would be Pogba but I've never liked his style neither on nor off the pitch so he would be great to get funds. And as far as strikers go I would keep Rashford and Lingard who I rate as great squad players but the rest isn't up to the task either.

So yes, about 5 and 1 or 2 would be close to starting games, the rest just isn't good enough and blame has to be laid at Woodward's feet who for three summers running has chased the impossible dream of a Real Madrid star (first Ronaldo, then Bale, this time Varane) while not getting much else done... Not every signing will fit or be a success but if you want to challenge for titles you've got to get quality above all. And quality is very expensive these days (just look at PSG, City, Barca or Liverpool and their spending). If that's not the route you want to go down the objectives need to be adjusted accordingly...

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
All but a few. No manager can afford to sell half the squad. Even if saf went to another club with his stature he can't afford to sell half the team without a mutiny in his hand.

It's easy for us to say sell x,y,z but those players are buddies with one another, and it's unreasonable for them not to pick a side when half of their colleagues are going to be dumped in favor of this new manager.

We've had problems selling one rooney, i dont think selling half the squad will be as easy as it looks. People here are easy to say for example sell jones for 20m buy fekir for 50m... profit? But is it really that easy? And people assume those names would want to come to us. Savic, griezman, sandro, there are a really big possibilities they dont favor a move to us, they'll probably move for an absurd amount of wage but that will create a problem of another kind.

freeurmind

weak willed
De Gea, Romero, Pereira
Tuanzebe, Dalot, Bailly, Fosuh-Mensah
Herrera, Matic, Pogba, Mata, McTominay, Pereira
Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Sanchez

I would sign: Gimenez, Alderweirald, De Ligt, Holebas, Kurzawa
Ruben Neves, James Rodriguez, Leon Bailey

L1nk

I'm going to Bold the players I think we should be rid of, will it be realistic? No, but genuinely I believe these players should not be in the team.

Goalkeepers

David De Gea
Lee Grant - Not sure why we signed him to be honest...
Sergio Romero
Joel Pereira

Defenders

Victor Lindelof
Eric Bailly
Phil Jones - Been here long enough, calamitous, injury prone, need I say more
Chris Smalling - Great one day, garbage the next, no consistency, shouldn't be here
Marcos Rojo - Not an awful player but don't believe he's up to standard
Ashley Young - Bang average, can occassionally whip in a good cross, otherwise crap

Diogo Dalot
Luke Shaw
Antonio Valencia - Don't renew contract after this season, getting on now, so one footed
Matteo Darmian - Been average since he got here which is a shame.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Axel Tuanzebe

Midfielders

Paul Pogba
Juan Mata - Lovely guy but just doesn't contribute anything anymore.
Jesse Lingard - His career has been nothing but average except for a few months.

Andreas Pereira
Fred - He's new, I just don't see what he really brings, doesn't do anything exceptional
Ander Herrera
Marouane Fellaini - Bent us over for a contract, average, no top team would have him.
Nemanja Matic - Just seems slow and ponderous, personally think he's past his best.
Scott McTominay - Only plays because he's homegrown, average, we wouldn't sign him.

Forwards

Alexis Sanchez - Astronomical wages for the dross he's served up, looks half the player.
Romelu Lukaku - Not a title winning forward in my opinion, offers nothing but minnow goals.

Marcus Rashford
Anthony Martial

That leaves us with these players, and now in bold these are players I would try to sign in the next couple of years.

Goalkeepers

David De Gea
Sergio Romero
Joel Pereira

Defenders

Victor Lindelof
Eric Bailly
Diogo Dalot
Luke Shaw
Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Axel Tuanzebe
Milan Skriniar - Inter - 23, hell of a talent, brick wall
Matthijs de Ligt - Ajax - 19, great on the ball, can play it out from the back

Midfielders

Paul Pogba
Andreas Pereira
Ander Herrera
Ruben Neves - Wolves - 21, Commander, great debut season in Premier League so far.
Julian Weigl - Dortmund - 23, Basically Carrick, could control that midfield nicely.
Frenkie de Jong - Ajax - 21, Quality young midfielder.

Forwards

Marcus Rashford
Anthony Martial
Christian Pulisic - Dortmund - 20, Exciting young traditional winger with pace.
Timo Werner - RP Leipzig - 22, Could develop into a world class striker in my opinion.

Would genuinely love to see something like this, being utilised by the likes of Pochettino or Tuchel, woukld probably take a couple years to get fully going but to see such a young, exciting and talented team would be the dream for me.

First Team would probably look like

De Gea
Dalot - Skriniar - Bailly - Shaw
Pogba - Neves - Weigl
Pulisic - Werner - Rashford/Martial

Skills

Snitch
All of them. The last thing we need is another huge turnover and another excuse for a poor manager to come in and spend 3 years uprooting everything.

The squad is fairly healthy, needs a bit more like quality in a few areas and potentially an injection of youth by next summer.

johanovic

Goalkeepers:
De Gea
J.Pereira
Grant

Right back:

Dalot
Mensah
E.Laird

Centre back:
De Ligt(Leader and can play out of defence)
Koulibaly(For me one of the best in the world)

Smalling
Bailly
Tuanzebe

Left back:

Shaw(Very glad to see him back)
R.Sessegnon(Great talent,english and competes with Shaw)

Right wing:
Pulisic

Chong

Left wing:
Marco Asensio(if possible)

Martial

Midfield:
Tanguy Ndombele (Very promising
Saul Nigues(Brilliant midfielder and leader)

Pogba
Pereira
Matic (Perhaps he should leave also?)
Nabil Fekir(few play the number 10 role better)
A.Gomes
J.Garner

Strikers:
Lukaku
Rashford
Greenwood

Sell:
Romero,Darmian,Valencia,Young,Jones,Rojo,Fellaini,Herrera,Mata,Sanchez,Lindelof,Lingard,Fred,McTominay should all leave. We should be able to get quite a bit of money with those sales plus taking a huge chunk out of the wages. I know some will say this can not be done and refer to reality not being a football manger game. My answer would be: If you look at the list of names to leave can you really make the case for any of them having a future as a Man Utd player? Should we not give youth a chance and buy players of simliar calibre as suggested here above? Even though it´s dark arond our club today I belive IF those who take the decisons are willing to face the facts this can be turned around. But that will not be with Mourinho.

Fosu-Mens

Keep(Dependent on how they fit into the new managers(Zidane) system):
GK:
DDG:World class.
Romeo: Good 2nd choice. No complaining.
Grant: Good 3rd choice, and allows the younger keepers to go out on loan which is preferable to play in the 23s.

Defenders:
Dalot: Can improve. At worst he will turn out to be a decent backup in the future.
Shaw: Can improve, but needs to work on his passing decision and crossing. At worst a good backup.
Smalling: Decent backup. Not part of a future starting defence challenging in CL.
Bailly: From great to abysmal in the space of minutes, then back to great again. Needs to become more stable and learn to pass, if this is not possible then axe him.

Midfielders:
Pogba: Lets see how he is doing under a new manager and system before axing him.
Pereira: Only one outside Pogba that can pass the ball efficiently among our midfielders.
Fredge: Early days, still needs to improve his awareness when on the ball and pick his passes better.
Fellaini: Useful after 75 minutes played if we are playing against a parked bus, not as a starter.
Matic: Our best holding midfielder, as long as we have players around him that does the passing.

Attack:
Rashford: Still young and can become great or the new Welbeck(not that Welbeck is not great...). Would benefit from playing in a system that has clear instructions on what to do in different situations when in attack.
Martial: Same as Rashford.
Lingard: Decent squadplayer. Versatile.
Lukaku: World most expensive back up striker.

Out(We have a problem when selling players as most of them are paid alot more than they will be paid in other clubs.):
Darmian: No explenation needed.
Valencia: Can be kept as a backup for a year at most if we decide to splash big £££ on a CB or two.
Young: Same as Valencia.
Jones: Same as the two above. Sell to Middlesbrough if they are promoted.
Sanchez: Unless he can show that his performances since coming here is only a dip in form, and not actually a decline in abilities/physicality, then sell him for £0 to a China if we are able to. I personally think we will be stuck with him due to the size of his present contract.
Herrera: Bilbao next mate.
Mata: Don't see him here next season as his physicality, or lack thereof, is a real problem when the team is not on the ball.
Lindelof: Does not got the physicality to play as a CB against the likes of Giroud, Deeney etc. A liability 1v1.
McTominay: Not that young. Loan him out for the remainder of the season and the next.
Rojo: Sell to Burnley or Middlesbrough if they are Promoted.

IrishGlen

GKs: Has there ever been a better trio? Keep all 3 maybe substituting Grant for Pereira if it was only a one year deal.

FBs: Keep Dalot & Shaw. Maybe one of Valencia or Young for cover and experience. Darmian should’ve been sold 2 years ago.

CBs: Tricky, eh? I’d only keep Bailly and Smalling and Rojo (for the squad). I feel Lindelöf is proving this season that he simply isn’t good enough and Phil Jones needed to go 3 years ago.

CMs: Matič and Herrera (especially under a different manager) are excellent squad options. I’d keep Fellaini (as a strictly plan B) and place more faith in Pereira. The pressing issue here is whether Pogba wants to leave (if so, we need a top class replacement). Keep Fred.

W: Major overhaul required here - Sánchez and Mata should be shown the door and a genuine RW should be brought in). Keep Martial.

CFs: I’d place my trust in Rashford as a back up however slightly controversial as he’s our main source of goals but I’d be actively seeking to sell Lukaku. I don’t think he will ever be good enough to lead the line for a championship winning side.

Now, for a slightly different twist, if we sack José and appoint Jardim, Poch or a Guardiola / Klopp style manager for 19/20, what players would simply need to go for not suiting the desired style of play?

I’d say Valencia, Darmian, Jones, Smalling, Matič, Fellaini and Lukaku at least? That’s quite a big overhaul of playing staff and definitely a point to consider when appointing the next manager. It simply wouldn’t be feasible for a 7-10 in / 7-10 Out summer transfer window!

Andersons Dietician

Probably easier to just list who I would shift on than who I’d keep.

Matic
Valencia
Jones
Rojo
Young
Sanchez
Mata
Lingard
Darmian

In an ideal world I’d shift the lot of them on, unfortunately not an ideal world so likely i’d Keep a few as back up like Mata, Young,Valencia and Lingard. Sanchez is a difficult one as I’m sure there is still more to come from him and then Mata also quite weird as he is clearly a good player but for whatever reason he just doesn’t seem to be the influence or take control of games, is this just bad coaching or are they really not good enough.

Saying this if I was to get rid of that lot we would need to bring in a lot of people as the likes of Gomes and Chong don’t look ready for the step up, Tuanzebe and Fosu I’d find a use for.

Ether

The likes of Jones and Lingard would probably survive by virtue of the homegrown rule if Zidane came in, because it would be hard to imagine someone like him going shopping for English talent. We saw that at City for years under different foreign managers with Richards, Lescott and Milner. Someone like Pochettino who knows the game in this country might be more willing to sell because he'll have a better idea of who to replace them with.

Hughie77

Keep ..Shaw, Dalot, Martial, lingard, Matic, DDG, Romero, Herrera, Rashford ,Pogba, Fred.
For 1 more season I'd keep Valencia then sell, Lukaku I'd keep only if we had another top striker for competition, or I'd sell after getting replacement . Sanchez can go, Darmian, young as well, Jones Rojo,surplus Smalling I'd keep along with Lindelof but only till replacements came in.
There's to many top players here who cannot play together, it's a bloody disgrace how our club has let it get like this..

Ohh and I'd get rid of the manager as well for good measure.

Canagel

Sign: De ligt, ndmobele, fekir, pulisic, icardi.
Sell: valencia, lindelof, jones, rojo, darmian, young, fellaini, Matic, Herrera, mata, lingard.

spiriticon

I'll keep De Gea, Dalot, Smalling, Herrera, Lingard, Rashford, Lukaku and maybe Shaw.

Pogba only if he wants to stay and concentrate on the football and less on social media, if not he can feck off.

The rest of them are dispensable for the right money and replacements.

RedMilo

Going purely on talent, I would personally keep De Gea, Dalot, Shaw, Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Lingard, Matic, Fred, Martial & Rashford as certainities. Romero, Grant, Mata, Herrera, Rojo & Sanchez I would be open to have conversation about staying but only if they showed real commitment to want to stay. Lindelöf, Valencia, Young, Pogba, Fellaini & Lukaku would be shown the door, Valencia & Young are past their best, they have been good servants but we need to move on in the wide areas, Lindelöf not good enough for Utd, Pogba is clearly acting like he is bigger than the club feck him off, Fellaini & Lukaku wouldn't suit the style of play I would look to play. I would play a back 4 in either a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-1-1.

Sanchez7

I would sell(in order)-

Fellaini
Mata
Darmian
Lindelof
Young
McTominay
Lukaku

Revaulx

I’d expect a manager to work with what he’s got, to start off with.

The squad is clearly not good enough to challenge for major honours but we’ve had plenty of “deadwood” purges and are no better off from them. If big bids were to come in, there’s nobody I’d want to hang onto at all costs though.

Ibrahimorich

Pretty much everyone except:
Valencia - he's done and offers nothing going forward
Sanchez - also done. Chilean Wayne Rooney now
Fellaini - should never have worn the shirt, don't care how much he tries. Also a Moyes remnant.
Mata - doesn't fit what I'd have as our style
Rojo - need to get rid of one CB tbh so I can bring a better one in and I chose him

stevoc

We tried shipping out 10-15 'deadwood' players in one season before under Van Gaal it didn't work. But sadly it probably needs to be done again, only this time actually replace them with good players as opposed to the pile of shit Van Gaal bought.

The players that need to go are Darmian, Mata, Jones, Valencia, Rojo and possibly Fellaini.

As a Chelsea fan, I respect Matic. But he split opinions a lot in his last year. He was benched for a lot of games too. I am surprised that not many Man Utd fans think that his lack of mobility is a handicap if you want to build a attacking team with super quick transitions.
It's not so much his lack of mobility but his insistence on taking an age to do anything with the ball that gets on my tits. He spends way too much time dicking about with the ball in midfield instead of just passing it to a team mate to start an attack.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Stay
Goalkeepers

De Gea - Best keeper in the world.
Romero - Great backup.
Grant - Good third choice.

Defenders
Bailly - Can become one of the worlds best.
Smalling - Good backup.
Shaw - Still a lot of potential.
Dalot - Just came so give him a chance.

Midfielders
Pogba - World class if he puts his mind to it.
Fred - Just came so give him a chance.
Matic - Fantastic player.
Mctominay - Good backup.

Forwards
Rashford - Still a lot of potential.
Martial - Can become a special player.

Go
Defenders

Jones - Not good enough. Injured all the time and always has an error in him.
Darmian - Not good enough.
Young - Past it.
Valencia - Past it.
Lindelof - Not good enough for the Premier League.
Rojo - Not good enough.

Midfielders
Fellaini - Not good enough.
Mata - Past it.
Herrera - Not good enough.

Forwards
Lingard - Would have left years ago if Ferguson was still in charge.
Lukaku - Everton/Watford level at best.
Disagree only on Lukaku, IMO he has place in the squad, maybe not in starting line-up but he's very good bench option.

Dominos

You don't actually become stronger by getting rid of players. Granted there is a limit on squad size, if players have to make way for new signing then so be it, but selling for selling's sake doesn't do any good. You can't get rid of a dozen players in one window and replace them all.

What always makes me laugh about this place is when players who barely ever play are blamed for how shit we are. Darmian being the classic example, he's a back up full back who plays about 5 games a season and he's listed as the reason the team is shit.

If we had City's squad playing under Mourinho I wonder what this forum would think of the likes of Stones, Otamendi, Delph? I guarantee the likes of Sterling would also be getting dogs abuse on here if he played for us because we'd get nothing out of him, yet he seems to score every weekend for City. There's potential for improvement in almost every player under new management, most have gone backwards, some have stagnated under Mourinho. Imagine our full backs were Alexander Arnold and Robertson? They'd be getting dogs abuse on here again, but Klopp somehow makes players of them.

I honestly think we could be competing for the league with a couple of good attackers, a centre back and a new manager who gives the players confidence and creates some cohesion in the way we play football. You don't need to gut half the squad to achieve that.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
DDG
Romero

Dalot
Bailly
Smalling (he's a good worthy backup for me)
Shaw

Pogba (although a part of me thinks he's toxic)
Fellaini (yep)
Pereira (personally not sold on him but he deserves a chance)
Matic (but use more sparingly)
Fred
Martial
Rashford
Lukaku
Lingard
Sanchez

Think that's it to be honest.

xtal191

Goalkeepers

David De Gea (World class, has to stay)
Lee Grant (Only joined but don't really care if he stays or leaves)
Sergio Romero - GO (I have no real problem with him staying but would rather Pereira number 2)
Joel Pereira (Young, hopefully comes good)

Defenders

Victor Lindelof (I'd give him one more season)
Eric Bailly (If he can stay injury free, has to stay)
Phil Jones - GO (Just not good enough)
Chris Smalling (Decent backup)
Marcos Rojo - GO (Not good enough)
Ashley Young - GO (Finished)

Diogo Dalot (Potential first team rb for years)
Luke Shaw (Potential first team lb for years)
Antonio Valencia - GO (Finished)
Matteo Darmian - GO (Not good enough)

Timothy Fosu-Mensah (Potential)
Axel Tuanzebe (Potential)

Midfielders

Paul Pogba - GO (If we can get a crazy fee him,I'd 100% sell him)
Juan Mata - GO (Great player and top top guy but his time is up at UTD)

Jesse Lingard (Good squad player, not a starter)
Andreas Pereira (Great squad player)
Fred (Too early to say about Fred, have to give him another season at least)
Ander Herrera - GO (Same as Mata)

Marouane Fellaini - (Squad player)
Nemanja Matic - (Grand for another season or two)
Scott McTominay - GO (Nowhere near good enough)

Forwards

Alexis Sanchez - (Cant see anyone paying his wages)
Romelu Lukaku - (Good striker but will never be world class, see how he develops in the next year or two before replacing)
Marcus Rashford - (I'd love to see him go out on loan to a premier league side, will never happen though)
Anthony Martial - (One more season under a new manager, if no improvement in attitude he can go)

We've the makings of a great squad but miles away from having a great starting 11

Negan

I would sell

Smalling
Jones
Young
Shaw
Darmian
Herrera
Martial
Lingard

None of them are United quality. None of them are good enough to win us the league. The fact that most of them start every week is a massive problem but it’s not surprising to me that we look bang average considering the talent we have at our disposal.

Pogba can leave but only if we double what we paid for him. I’d be looking for 160m and Milinkovic-Savic to come in and replace him. I just think he’s more of a “United” player... Pogba’s attitude is toxic. He is influencing the players against the manager. How can you support that? However If I couldn’t get a replacement CM that’s at his level, and there’s only a few I can think of... I’d keep him.

edgar allan

Goalkeepers

David De Gea (World class, has to stay)
Lee Grant (Only joined but don't really care if he stays or leaves)
Sergio Romero - GO (I have no real problem with him staying but would rather Pereira number 2)
Joel Pereira (Young, hopefully comes good)

Defenders

Victor Lindelof (I'd give him one more season)
Eric Bailly (If he can stay injury free, has to stay)
Phil Jones - GO (Just not good enough)
Chris Smalling (Decent backup)
Marcos Rojo - GO (Not good enough)
Ashley Young - GO (Finished)

Diogo Dalot (Potential first team rb for years)
Luke Shaw (Potential first team lb for years)
Antonio Valencia - GO (Finished)
Matteo Darmian - GO (Not good enough)

Timothy Fosu-Mensah (Potential)
Axel Tuanzebe (Potential)

Midfielders

Paul Pogba - GO (If we can get a crazy fee him,I'd 100% sell him)
Juan Mata - GO (Great player and top top guy but his time is up at UTD)

Jesse Lingard (Good squad player, not a starter)
Andreas Pereira (Great squad player)
Fred (Too early to say about Fred, have to give him another season at least)
Ander Herrera - GO (Same as Mata)
Marouane Fellaini - (Squad player)
Nemanja Matic - (Grand for another season or two)
Scott McTominay - GO (Nowhere near good enough)

Forwards

Alexis Sanchez - (Cant see anyone paying his wages)
Romelu Lukaku - (Good striker but will never be world class, see how he develops in the next year or two before replacing)
Marcus Rashford - (I'd love to see him go out on loan to a premier league side, will never happen though)
Anthony Martial - (One more season under a new manager, if no improvement in attitude he can go)

We've the makings of a great squad but miles away from having a great starting 11
We will have no squad at all and hardly enough players to fill a team if you got your way.

sp_107

Darmian / Velencia / Young / Rojo / Jones / Mata / Herrera / Lukaku /
Keep(Dependent on how they fit into the new managers(Zidane) system):
GK:
DDG:World class.
Romeo: Good 2nd choice. No complaining.
Grant: Good 3rd choice, and allows the younger keepers to go out on loan which is preferable to play in the 23s.

Defenders:
Dalot: Can improve. At worst he will turn out to be a decent backup in the future.
Shaw: Can improve, but needs to work on his passing decision and crossing. At worst a good backup.
Smalling: Decent backup. Not part of a future starting defence challenging in CL.
Bailly: From great to abysmal in the space of minutes, then back to great again. Needs to become more stable and learn to pass, if this is not possible then axe him.

Midfielders:
Pogba: Lets see how he is doing under a new manager and system before axing him.
Pereira: Only one outside Pogba that can pass the ball efficiently among our midfielders.
Fredge: Early days, still needs to improve his awareness when on the ball and pick his passes better.
Fellaini: Useful after 75 minutes played if we are playing against a parked bus, not as a starter.
Matic: Our best holding midfielder, as long as we have players around him that does the passing.

Attack:
Rashford: Still young and can become great or the new Welbeck(not that Welbeck is not great...). Would benefit from playing in a system that has clear instructions on what to do in different situations when in attack.
Martial: Same as Rashford.
Lingard: Decent squadplayer. Versatile.
Lukaku: World most expensive back up striker.

Out(We have a problem when selling players as most of them are paid alot more than they will be paid in other clubs.):
Darmian: No explenation needed.
Valencia: Can be kept as a backup for a year at most if we decide to splash big £££ on a CB or two.
Young: Same as Valencia.
Jones: Same as the two above. Sell to Middlesbrough if they are promoted.
Sanchez: Unless he can show that his performances since coming here is only a dip in form, and not actually a decline in abilities/physicality, then sell him for £0 to a China if we are able to. I personally think we will be stuck with him due to the size of his present contract.
Herrera: Bilbao next mate.
Mata: Don't see him here next season as his physicality, or lack thereof, is a real problem when the team is not on the ball.
Lindelof: Does not got the physicality to play as a CB against the likes of Giroud, Deeney etc. A liability 1v1.
McTominay: Not that young. Loan him out for the remainder of the season and the next.
Rojo: Sell to Burnley or Middlesbrough if they are Promoted.
Perfect ! This would help

Web of Bissaka

Keep
Absolutely: De Gea, Rashford, Dalot, Shaw, Bailly, A. Pereira, the 4 loanees (Tuanzebe, TFM, Mitchell, Henderson)

Keep for now: Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Smalling, Grant, Fred, Darmian, Young, Valencia, McT, Fellaini, Lukaku

Depends if they're still that good or out: Mata, Romero, Sanchez

Go to the reserve and prove me wrong or out: Lindelof

---

Sell/Release
Don't need players who can't play: Rojo, Jones

Find him a new club for his career: J. Pereira (I just can't see him having a future here)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
DDG, Romero, Dalot, Smalling,Shaw, Rashford, Matic, Fred, Pogba, Martial, Lukaku, Periera

Himannv

Pogba has not been a disruption under any other manager even under Mino so I suspect his behaviour now is partly due to Mourinho and partly fabricated to cause disruption in our squad.

The British press and pundits seem to have an issue with Pogba since the day we signed him.

So he would have to be kept.
This isn't the first time he hasn't gotten along with a manager, or have we forgotten Sir Alex Ferguson already. Perhaps it's only United managers he doesn't like. Either way, there should be no way that we keep him after his behaviour or it sends the wrong message.

ObieDeMoon

I could tell you who I wouldn't keep...

Sanchez with his stupidly high wage!
Damian, Young, Valencia, Mata, Jones, Rojo, Fellaini.

All good lads but not quite at the United level for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcelinho87

This isn't the first time he hasn't gotten along with a manager, or have we forgotten Sir Alex Ferguson already. Perhaps it's only United managers he doesn't like. Either way, there should be no way that we keep him after his behaviour or it sends the wrong message.
He got on perfectly fine with SAF is what I understand it was Mino R that was the crank and who SAF didn't like.

ObieDeMoon

I'm surprised so many are saying Fellaini. For the first two years I would have driven him to the airport myself, but recently he is proving to be one of our better players albeit more as a backup option. Still that in itself says something about how far we've fallen.

For me the only indispensable is De Gea and based on the very early promise and killer cross Dalot.

After that there are a lot of players who need trialling in different styles and formations.

For example Rashford, Martial and Lukaku I think could all be very good in a two up front option. If we did that Sanchez might still be useful in a left winger position. We would need a new right winger.

Arguably would also need a top class midfielder alongside Pogba, someone like Savic. RB&LB would need upgrading interchanging with Shaw and Dalot. Centre backs would both need to be very good, thus Smalling/ Bailly backup. Lindelof might need more games even to be backup and I'm not sure if we can afford to do that

Outside of the above it's mostly time to go!

The problem about the above is I'm not sure 4-4-2 will even work any more and if that's the case I'm not sure Lukaku/Rashford/Martial can be our only strikers. They have proven useful in the left of a three though. If that's the case Sanchez is probably another odd man out.
Leicester won the premiership playing 442 not too long ago. Yet I keep hearing everywhere it's an outdated formation. Keep it simple!

Himannv

He got on perfectly fine with SAF is what I understand it was Mino R that was the crank and who SAF didn't like.
Well, this is a direct quote he made about this:

“Pogba signed for Juventus a long time ago as far as we’re aware. It’s a bit disappointing because I don’t think he showed us any respect at all. To be honest, if they carry on that way, I’m quite happy that he’s away, from me, anyway.”
Obviously, he liked Raiola even less, but he wasn't too pleased with Pogba. Do you really reckon Sir Alex would have put up with a player constantly undermining him after every single game? Pogba would be packing his bags already if Sir Alex was in charge right now.

Bola

I've got four lists:
- The keep catagory contains players who are likely to keep delivering for the club, in addition to recent signings and academy player (who at least offer a squad role).
- The defintely sell list are those who should already be out the door, this is based on.sick notes or player who have consistently shown limitations at the club
- The 'upgradable' list are generallly useful players, but need to be improved on to match our ambitions. No rush to sell these, but a gradual replacement over several windows
- The final list is the 'jury out. These are some of our better players and some of our biggest assets in financial terms. However, their overall performances have yet to match their value and strong consideration would need to be given to cashing in to buy more consistent players

Definitely Keep
De Gea
Shaw
Rashford
Romero
Fred
Matic
Lingaard
Mctominlay
Dalot
Perreira

Defintely Sell
Darmian
Herrera
Mata
Rojo
Jones

Upgradable
Smalling
Young
Valencia
Fellani

Jury Out
Lukakku
Sanchez
Pogba
Martial
Bailley
Lindeloff

pacifictheme

To quote a twitter account "our attack is currently the only attack in the league that wouldn't cause our defense problems".

Ha.

Heista

Supports
Ajax
Everyone should get a fair chance.
I think we might underestimate the influence a good or bad manager has on a team and individual performances.
There's players now who might not have shown anything worthwile that (also) might florish under a positive manager with good people skills.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
GK - De Gea, Romero, Grant
FB - Dalot, Shaw, Young, NEW
CB - Bailley, Smalling, Lindelof, NEW, NEW
MF - Matic, Herrera, Pereira, Fred, NEW
AM/WG - Lingard, NEW, NEW
FW - Lukaku, Rashford, Martial

With squad support from Fosu-Mensah, McTominay, Gomes and Chong

Sell/Release - Jones, Pogba, Sanchez, Mata, Rojo, Valencia, Fellaini, Darmian

6 new players - First choice right-back, 2 top centre-backs, top holding midfielder, top right winger, top attacking midfielder/no.10

First choices probably - Kimmich, Maguire, Varane, Verratti, Pulisic, Dybala

JoaquinJoaquin

From the outside looking in I'm surprised by many of the comments. In my opinion the following players are worth keeping:

De Gea - one of the best in the world if not the best & I never hear of any moaning or controversy from him
Romero
Grant - both of these are very good

Shaw
Dalot - looks very promising
Bailly - will improve if given playing time

Pereira
Herrera - impresses me but needs quality alongside him
Fellaini - not overly gifted but always gives 100% & a great option on the bench
Lingard - young & worth keeping

Rashford - see Lingard

I wouldn't bother with any of the others. I feel sorry for Pogba as he is clearly unhappy & is obviously a quality player in the right environment. Lukaku is too cumbersome & misses too many chances. Sanchez is a joke & is stealing a living. Martial clearly doesn't want to stay. Fred is just not good enough, especially considering the money you paid for him. Matic is very slow - Chelsea weren't exactly gutted to lose him!

I am particularly surprised about Smalling. I honestly believe he is one of the most over-rated defenders in England & I don't even think he is Championship standard. His positioning is terrible (witness the West Ham game) & he is extremely clumsy. Put him in the team with Jones & you really have got problems! Rojo, Lindelof, Young, Valencia & Darmian would struggle to get into any other Premiership teams as well. I really do believe the defence is your biggest issue & the club should have shelled out for Boateng regardless of his age. After all, that wasn't an issue with Laurent Blanc!

Man Utd teams have been built on strong defences for many years. Players like Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Parker, Ferdinand, Vidic, Stam, Evra, even Heinze, Brown & O'Shea. These are rock solid defenders who set a great foundation. There are no defenders in the squad that get anywhere near their level!

You can tell me to mind my own business if you like but I thought you may be interested in an external view.
Lingard is 26 this year. That young myth really needs to go.

Stadjer

If i could build my own team and without being realistic i would only keep DDG, Pogba, Dalot, Shaw, Martial and Rashford... i dont care if any other play left.

The backup goalkeepers are good for their positions (backup and third option) but just backups.

The defenders are average at best (Smalling, Bailly) while some of them shouldnt be anywhere near the club (Jones, Rojo, Darmian) or just nothing special (Valencia, Young, Lindelof). Dalot and Shaw have atleast potential to be good Manchester United players.

Besides Pogba the midfield doesnt have any classy players. Pogba isnt perfect but has the talent to be a world class midfielder while Fred, Matic and maybe Perreira could be usefull midfielders at a topclub. Mata has the strenght of a kid and the speed of a turtle and is way past it. McTominay (or is he a defender now....) is midtable Premier League at best while Herrera is just 'okay' and nothing special besides a hard worker. Fellaini has his use but isnt really blessed with incredible footballing abilities..

Lukaku is a potential to be a good striker for a topclub and score somewhere between 20/30 goals a season if he gets supplied. However i dont think he will ever be a worldclass striker. The type or striker who can turn a 0-0 final into a 1-0 final with a brilliant individual moment like world class strikers can do. Rashford and Martial are two young players with potential. Martial has more talent but Rashford isnt a bad player. Lingard tries his best but just lacks the talent and Sanchez used to be class but hasnt shown any of that for Manchester United yet.

Marcelinho87

Well, this is a direct quote he made about this:

Obviously, he liked Raiola even less, but he wasn't too pleased with Pogba. Do you really reckon Sir Alex would have put up with a player constantly undermining him after every single game? Pogba would be packing his bags already if Sir Alex was in charge right now.
Nope agreed, SAF would have got rid of anybody who acted this way.