You’re the new United manager, which players do you keep?

Denis79

As a Chelsea fan, I respect Matic. But he split opinions a lot in his last year. He was benched for a lot of games too. I am surprised that not many Man Utd fans think that his lack of mobility is a handicap if you want to build a attacking team with super quick transitions.
We're trying to string to passes together at the moment. Forget all that you mentioned.

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
We're trying to string to passes together at the moment. Forget all that you mentioned.
It's funny because we tried to replace Matic with a player who couldn't string passes together either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scholes the maestro

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This might not be feasible but one can always dream.
I have always been fan of wing-play and stretching the defence rather than playing tiki taka through the middle. So my default formation as the manager would be 4-4-2/ 4-4-1-1.

Out:
- Darmian, Jones, Rojo, Valencia, Mata, Herrera (always injured or just not good enough)

- Pogba and Lukaku (maybe most talented players of our squad but they would not fit the system I would want the team to play in. Sometimes you have to sell the talented players to move the team forward. And since we lack wingers, I would sell them and use the funds to buy 2 wingers and experienced backup striker. I think we can sell them for combined ~160 million, which should be enough for replacements. Ask for extra money to the boards and buy a experienced CB and a DM.)

In:

.......................................... De gea/Romero/Grant...............................

Dalot/TFM................Smalling/Bailly...........New CB/Lindelof.............Shaw/Young

New RW/Sanchez.........Matic/New DM...........Fred/Perreira.............New LW/Rashford

.............................Sanchez/Backup ST.........Martial/Rashford..........................

Wildcard players:
- Lingard and Fellaini (Used as squad players as they can work in any system so used as alternatives when required to change the system)

Academy players (to be integrated into first team in couple of years):
- Gomes to replace Sanchez
- Chong as RW alternative
- Greenwood as backup ST

Players loaned:
- Mc Tominay and Tuanzebe

Last edited:

kthanksbye

Could be/are important players - DeGea. Shaw. Dalot. Bailly. Matic. Pereira. Pogba. Fred. Martial. Rashford. Lukaku.

Would want to see them as backup options at best - Mata. Smalling. Young. Herrera. Romero.

Can't see why I'd want to keep anyone else.
Valencia, Darmian, Jones, Lindelof, Rojo, Fellaini. Lingard. Sanchez should be shown the door asap.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
First team stay - DeGea, Shaw, Dalot, Pogba, Fred, smalling and Martial.

Back up - fellaini, rashford, Romero, Herrera, Perreira, lingard.

Sell immediately - Valencia, Jones, lindalof, Bailly, Rojo, darmian, young, Matic, mata, mctominay, Alexis, Lukaku

StretfordEnd95

It's a bit depressing to see people would keep the likes of Smalling and Lingard, it shows the level of mediocrity we've now accepted as the norm.

Micky Targaryen

FM mode:

I'd only retain De Gea, Rashford, Shaw and Martial and Fellaini (good as a . And bin the rest.

1) De Gea - the only indispensable player for us.

2) Rashford - only 19 years old with enormous potential. Great technique and is obviously a grounded lad. Just needs to improve decision making.

3) Shaw - Seems to be coming into good form. If he can maintain his consistency and avoid the physioroom, the obviously the left back spot is his.

4) Martial - Would offer him one last chance to buckle down and finally realise his raw potential.

5) Fellaini - Very good option to have on the bench. Would provide us a different kind of dimension to the game. Especially at times when we need to throw in the kitchen sink, big old Felli will be the kitchen sink.

But realistically, the first ones out the door for me would be Darmian, Jones, Lindelof, and Mata.

Craig Ward

OUT:
Jones/Smalling/Rojo/Darmian/Pogba/Fellaini/Sanchez/Mata/Martial/Lindelof

KEEP:
All others not mentioned above (obv)

Players like Herrera/Young/Lingard/Perieria/McTominey are never going to be elite level but could do a job around the squad.

We'd need to sign 2x CB's and 2x Midfielders and an elite level attacking player along with a younger attacking option.

That's 10 out, 6 in.

Maybe more incomings but I've chosen the outgoings based on players who have been here a while and frankly should have gone a long time ago and players who may be "big names" but simply haven't delivered. Time to be ruthless

Schmeichel=God

I agree. He slows everything down. No idea why he's so highly rated here
For the first time in a hell of a lot of forum convos I actually am disagreeing with someone wholeheartedly about a player.

Matic for me is top quality. He might be slower than some but I never once considered his agility or speed to be an issue, or indeed lacking.

The man is able to, unlike many others, retain possession under pressure as the last man in front of the centre backs. He is strong, confident, with a good touch. He shields, tackles, enables transition, can pass well enough, and has a shot on him.

I don't see any other who offers what he does. Him over Dier for me every day of the week. So for once I'm glad we got the older guy for quite the expense.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Keep.
De Gea Romero
Shaw Lindelof Bailly TFM Dalot Tuanzebe
Pogba Lingard Herrera Fred
Rashford Lukaku Martial

Phase Out
Grant
Young Rojo Smalling Darmian
Matic Mata McTominay Pereira Fellaini
Sanchez

Ditch
Jones Rojo Valencia

Promote
O’Connor Chong Gomes Greenwood

Can’t sell too many players immediately. Still plenty to play for and current squad are capable of beating anyone on their day. That said United have some nice prospects who should be integrated as soon as possible before the Dortmund and Monaco of this world start knocking with guarantees of playing time.

SteveW

For the first time in a hell of a lot of forum convos I actually am disagreeing with someone wholeheartedly about a player.

Matic for me is top quality. He might be slower than some but I never once considered his agility or speed to be an issue, or indeed lacking.

The man is able to, unlike many others, retain possession under pressure as the last man in front of the centre backs. He is strong, confident, with a good touch. He shields, tackles, enables transition, can pass well enough, and has a shot on him.

I don't see any other who offers what he does. Him over Dier for me every day of the week. So for once I'm glad we got the older guy for quite the expense.
As i said, people on here really overrate him. A lot of Chelsea supporters were happy to get rid of him and that seemed stupid at first but over time the reasons have become obvious.

I'm not even talking about the fact that he can't move. I'm taking about how long he takes to release the ball, how many touches he needs. We blame the CBs for being slow to pass the ball out, he's just as bad. Being better than Dier is hardly the benchmark, he's crap too

Edit: Instead of us derailing this thread, pop in the Matic performances thread and paste what you just wrote. Should stir up some debate ;)

Last edited:

SteveW

It's a bit depressing to see people would keep the likes of Smalling and Lingard, it shows the level of mediocrity we've now accepted as the norm.
Depressing that people wouldn't sell every CB we have? That's a bit mad don't you think. I'd keep Smalling and Bailly

SAFMUTD

Starting XI members:
De Gea
Shaw
Smalling
Matic
Pogba
Lukaku
Sanchez

Squad players:
Fred
Lingard
Martial
Rashford
Herrera
Fellaini
Grant
Bailley
Romero

Loan to EPL team:
Lindelof
Andreas Pereira
Dalot

Let contract expire 2019
Valencia
Young
Mata

Sell ASAP
Jones
McTominay
Darmian
Rojo

Right now our team is full of squad players quality, by themselves they are no where near the level required, but under the right manager and system they can be usefull. No team is full of superstars, we also have some youngsters that may or may not achieve those levels, and very few top players.

The solution is not to whipe out everyone but keep the top and the promising ones and sell the deadwood.

Woziak

Staggering to think in Jose first season, both AXEL and Tim Fosu Mensah played a few games and never really let the club down then got immediately shipped out on loan when they were happy developing at the club. Both loaned ot second and third season which really surprised me!

We need a manager that develops youth and understand the United DNA. Now I'm not saying the whole squad should be kids but we need to start next year with following players making up the squad;

De Gea, Romero, Grant

Dalot, Tim Fosu Mensah, A Tuanzebe, L Shaw, E Baily,
C Smalling, A Young ( 1 more season plus he gets what it takes to fight for the shirt), meaning 3 defenders need to be signed - 1Elite CB, 1 up and coming CB and another LB
A Valencia, P Jones, Linderlof, Darmian and M Rojo can all be sold or released - hopefully recoup £75M

N Matic, M Feillani, P Pogba, Fred, A Gomez, A Pereira. Ander Herrera should be sold because we can probably get 30M for him and S McTominay sent out on loan. Which would mean we should go get one absolute World Class Midfield player between the age 24 and 28. Tiago, Kross, Ericssen D Ali, A Ramsey whoever we can get but must bean upgrade.

R Lukaku, Martial, J Lingard, M Rashford, T Chong, M Greenwood. We should sell Juan Mata and A Sanchez for hopefully £75M and then buy an experienced CFW and a young right Winger 22 to 25 who is preferably left footed.

So 9 out 6 in and promote 5 which would give us a squad of maybe 28 with the emphasis on youth. At best next season we will be playing Europa League football which means you need a huge squad plus thus will, give the new Manager the chance to introduce the young players and let the big signings concentrate on the PL. More importantly we would add youthful exuberance and pace and finally have 8 striker options, allowing us to play 442 433 4231 or 343 and finally start to play attacking Football again!

The key will be selling or releasing 9 players over two windows and trying to get £150 -175M which will need be topped up with another 250M to buy the 6 players.

Mcking

De gea
Romero
Grant
Smalling
Bailly
Lindelof
Valencia
Shaw
Dalot
Matic
Pogba
Fred
Pereira
Lingard
Sanchez
Rashford
Martial
Lukaku.
They are all good enough but being made to look shite by us.

Canagel

This is what I want to see also.
We need to freshen up the team:

DDG
Dalot Bailly De Ligt Shaw
Fred Pogba Fekir
Pulisic Icardi Martial

Romero, Smalling, ndombele, periera, Chong, Gomez, Rashford.

I'd love to see a squad like this being led by a Jardim or Pochettino in the future. The club needs to trust in the younger players and get a manager who will develop them.

ForestRGoinUp

We need to freshen up the team:

DDG
Dalot Bailly De Ligt Shaw
Fred Pogba Fekir
Pulisic Icardi Martial

Romero, Smalling, ndombele, periera, Chong, Gomez, Rashford.

I'd love to see a squad like this being led by a Jardim or Pochettino in the future. The club needs to trust in the younger players and get a manager who will develop them.
Thats the team right there. It just feels right.

doriandun

Staggering to think in Jose first season, both AXEL and Tim Fosu Mensah played a few games and never really let the club down then got immediately shipped out on loan when they were happy developing at the club. Both loaned ot second and third season which really surprised me!

We need a manager that develops youth and understand the United DNA. Now I'm not saying the whole squad should be kids but we need to start next year with following players making up the squad;

De Gea, Romero, Grant

C Smalling, A Young ( 1 more season plus he gets what it takes to fight for the shirt), meaning 3 defenders need to be signed - 1Elite CB, 1 up and coming CB and another LB
A Valencia, P Jones, Linderlof, Darmian and M Rojo can all be sold or released - hopefully recoup £75M

N Matic, M Feillani, P Pogba, Fred, A Gomez, A Pereira. Ander Herrera should be sold because we can probably get 30M for him and S McTominay sent out on loan. Which would mean we should go get one absolute World Class Midfield player between the age 24 and 28. Tiago, Kross, Ericssen D Ali, A Ramsey whoever we can get but must bean upgrade.

R Lukaku, Martial, J Lingard, M Rashford, T Chong, M Greenwood. We should sell Juan Mata and A Sanchez for hopefully £75M and then buy an experienced CFW and a young right Winger 22 to 25 who is preferably left footed.

So 9 out 6 in and promote 5 which would give us a squad of maybe 28 with the emphasis on youth. At best next season we will be playing Europa League football which means you need a huge squad plus thus will, give the new Manager the chance to introduce the young players and let the big signings concentrate on the PL. More importantly we would add youthful exuberance and pace and finally have 8 striker options, allowing us to play 442 433 4231 or 343 and finally start to play attacking Football again!

The key will be selling or releasing 9 players over two windows and trying to get £150 -175M which will need be topped up with another 250M to buy the 6 players.
Here's a list of the current contract expiry:

David de Gea - 30.06.2019 - Option for a further year
Anthony Martial - l 30.06.2019 - Option for a further year
Juan Mata - 30.06.2019
Ander Herrera - 30.06.2019
Phil Jones - 30.06.2019
Chris Smalling - 30.06.2019
Luke Shaw - 30.06.2019
Matteo Darmian - 30.06.2019 - Option for a further year
Antonio Valencia - 30.06.2019 Option for a further year
Ashley Young - 30.06.2019
Andreas Pereira - 30.06.2019 - both parties 1 year

Your defensive idea makes sense, McTominay out on loan makes sense, the midfield should be one of Matic or Fellani, alongside Pogba or Fred[long and short passes] and Andreas Pereira[short passes].

Sanchez wont be sold for anywhere near 70 mill, because of his wages, the most you could get for him is 25 to 30 mill.

The striker options is fine, but the team has no wingers or wide forwards, so if any manager persist with 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, with current squad, you will have what we've had for the last two years. Three at the back is also not option today, when you have to choose from Smalling, the best of a bad bunch, Jones and Bailly, but the with Shaw and Dalot as wingbacks would give the team width.

Personally i would sell Martial and Pogba, and use the money recouped to buy two wingers and a centre back, promote Greenwood to first team, along with Gomes and Chong, all three promoted would be understudies to the wingers brought in and in Greenwood's case, third striker.

tony54

This might not be feasible but one can always dream.
I have always been fan of wing-play and stretching the defence rather than playing tiki taka through the middle. So my default formation as the manager would be 4-4-2/ 4-4-1-1.

Out:
- Darmian, Jones, Rojo, Valencia, Mata, Herrera (always injured or just not good enough)

- Pogba and Lukaku (maybe most talented players of our squad but they would not fit the system I would want the team to play in. Sometimes you have to sell the talented players to move the team forward. And since we lack wingers, I would sell them and use the funds to buy 2 wingers and experienced backup striker. I think we can sell them for combined ~160 million, which should be enough for replacements. Ask for extra money to the boards and buy a experienced CB and a DM.)

In:

.......................................... De gea/Romero/Grant...............................

Dalot/TFM................Smalling/Bailly...........New CB/Lindelof.............Shaw/Young

New RW/Sanchez.........Matic/New DM...........Fred/Perreira.............New LW/Rashford

.............................Sanchez/Backup ST.........Martial/Rashford..........................

Wildcard players:
- Lingard and Fellaini (Used as squad players as they can work in any system so used as alternatives when required to change the system)

Academy players (to be integrated into first team in couple of years):
- Gomes to replace Sanchez
- Chong as RW alternative
- Greenwood as backup ST

Players loaned:
- Mc Tominay and Tuanzebe
I like your post, not too ambitious or costly for the board and gets rid of the big overrated crybaby.

ForestRGoinUp

Our current squad isn’t very good is it?
No, I actually think it’s quite indicative of our position in the table. The manager is costing us a few spots too, but there are as many, if not more mid table players starting games for us than there are top 6 guys.

paulscholes18

Keep
DDG
Romero
Grant

Dalot
Shaw
Young
Valencia

Bailly
Lindelof
Jones
Smalling

Pogba
Herrera
Fred
Pereira

Lingard
Rashford
Martial
Lukaku

OldSchoolManc

If Pogba doesn’t suddenly turn into the best player in the world, like he and his agent big him up to be, he should be first out of the door.
Actually, if he does suddenly become superb, it says a lot about his poor attitude.

crossy1686

career ending
I said this in the summer. One of our biggest problems is that we've still got players like Darmian on our books and we haven't cleared them. Someone isn't doing their job very well. Clear out any that have under performed in the last 2 to 3 administrations and let the rest know if they don't make it under the new manager, they will be out with him.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
You give them all a chance. Simple.

Except maybe Darmian.

crossy1686

career ending
If Pogba doesn’t suddenly turn into the best player in the world, like he and his agent big him up to be, he should be first out of the door.
Actually, if he does suddenly become superb, it says a lot about his poor attitude.
Pogba and Sanchez should either start packing their bags or rediscover some world class form, consistently.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I genuinely have no idea how good this squad is, or what we should be expecting from it. I think when that happens it's a sign that something is not right with the management, or how the club is being handled as a whole.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
But if a new manager comes in now, the absolute priority is to get a better spirit back in the squad. And the message should be a clean slate for all. Can then be ruthless in transfer windows as necessary... though selling the likes of Jones is likely to be tricky.

I don't mean all players need to be given minutes on the pitch. In fact we would do well to be chopping and changing far less.

House Mkhitaryan

Agree with everything here except I'd keep Lindelof.

De Gea, Romero, Grant

So 9 out 6 in and promote 5 which would give us a squad of maybe 28 with the emphasis on youth.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
A new manager isn't going to make wholesale changes in January

He'll tell them he's giving them all a chance to show him what they can do, then bin them in the summer. Hopefully Jones, Rojo, Valencia, Matic, Lukaku, Martial, Herrera and Mata (nice guy).

Few others possible.... depressing how much/how quickly we've fallen but hey, we've got a shitload of sponsors so who cares eh Ed?