You walk in tomorrow…what do you do?

Pughnichi

I’d….

Instruct McT, Rashford and their agents to find a new club. They wouldn’t get another minute. I’d refuse to play them and force a move.

Drop Bruno…if he doesn’t like it and pushes to leave, so be it

start Garnacho Mount and Amad behind Hojlund and give them a good run of games. It’s your time to shine and cement your place

Give Martinez club captaincy and advise it’s a constant. No picking and choosing his games. Not that he would

Reinstate Harry as vice - who over the course of the season has shown he has more minerals than most around him

Baneofthegame

Start playing the players who will be here nexts season and play in the manner you want the squad to be next year.

Or just start the team that won the quarter final for the weekend, at this point we can’t get much worse.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Play to our best players strengths for a start, similar to how a previous manager used Bruno with protection behind him and stop the fans getting on the back of our best players.
Play faster wingers like Garnacho and rashford and leave Antony far down the bench.
Beg to buy a world class striker and dm in the summer

M16Red

Play to our best players strengths for a start, similar to how a previous manager used Bruno with protection behind him and stop the fans getting on the back of our best players.
Play faster wingers like Garnacho and rashford and leave Antony far down the bench.
Beg to buy a world class striker and dm in the summer
Agreed.

flameinthesun

1) confirm whether we as a club believe Ten Hag's desired style/tactic (which is similar to how his 2019 Ajax setup) is potentially a title winning tactic. If we don't think that it is we should get another manager.

2) If we do think his tactics could work with the right players then decide how feasible it is to get those players. e.g. if only De Jong can play in that deep midfield role and we have no chance of getting him or if the players we need we can't afford then maybe look at another manager.

3) If we think we can get the right players in to support his tactics and we believe with those right players we can potentially challange for top honours then keep him another year and proceed with a clear out of players who are not suitable to his tactics.

didz

Start by accepting that most of these players who I've seen fail all season will probably be here in the next one. Because firesales don't really happen at United, or most places.

You've gotta work to get the best out of what's there. That probably means some wildly unpopular decisions among the fanbase, like going out of your way to get Rashford's head right, or finding a fit for a McTominay in goalscoring form.

Tactically, you've literally got one centre back who can stay fit for over 45 minutes, and no left backs ever. So you're gonna need to protect the backline with a responsible double pivot and probably a relatively low block too. Inverting wingbacks ain't gonna happen when there's only one who can sometimes do the job, and runners are normally gonna be preferable to technicians. You keep clean sheets first and foremost and work off that from there. Compactness is key.

There's pace in the side from Garnacho, Hojlund, and a hopefully bothered Rashford. That's the attack now, with Bruno supplying the passes. Welcome to rigid, disciplined, football by numbers.

That's probably the best way to keep the job til summer, then I hope for better recruits, fewer injuries, and some good fortune. You grind out results and build confidence and then the fancier stuff can come to break down teams that start to fear your resilience.

spiriticon

I'd focus on a core of our best youth team players to be honest. That's the future of Man United.

The so called 'senior' players can fight each other for the remaining spots. If they don't like it, they are welcome to find themselves a new club.

daveskimufc

I’d….

Instruct McT, Rashford and their agents to find a new club. They wouldn’t get another minute. I’d refuse to play them and force a move.

start Garnacho Mount and Amad behind Hojlund and give them a good run of games. It’s your time to shine and cement your place

Give Martinez club captaincy and advise it’s a constant. No picking and choosing his games. Not that he would

Reinstate Harry as vice - who over the course of the season has shown he has more minerals than most around him
Agree with all.

It's purely planning for next season now. Which kids deserve the minutes?
Does mainoo get a break?
Does 3 at the back work?
Who can listen to instruction?
Who WANTS to be here?
Can we revert to 2 up top for hojlund support?
Now is the time for trial and error. Champions league is gone. Money aside (silly me) do we care whether we get into Europa league/conference?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'd start putting teams with 4 midfielders because they're crap. They need more bodies there. Bruno among those midfielders and with more freedom to go forward. I'd sacrifice RW and rely only on LW + one CF up front (Garnacho + Hojlund). I mean what's the difference anyway? most of our attacks are still lopsided even when playing 2 wingers, might as well have more control in the middle, at least we'd stop shooting ourselves in the foot. Shit teams used to throw more bodies in midfield back then and it worked... if you're shit 3v3, try 4v3.

I'd ask the players to be more careful with playing from the back and that safety is ahead of playstyle. Feck passing the ball around for the sake of 'modern football'. They are allowed to hoof it forward if they're not sure. At least for now. Because again we're crap at it. The focus would be to be more solid at the back and midfield than going gung ho. I'd only do that at home games in the last 15 mins if we have a good chance to win it. Enough of suicide bombing kind of football. It's never going to be sustainable anyway and is ruining the players' confidence.

Last edited:

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
My plan would be:

1. Decide on a style of play/formation on day one and implement minor changes in training that reflect that. Then use that formation/tactics in matches. Even if results suffer straight away, stick with it.

2. Investigate all the players that have had recurring injuries. Are these down to training too much, not training enough? Do they have an underlying condition. Is there a lifestyle thing (diet etc) that is making them more susceptible to injuries.

3. Sell Greenwood and Sancho. Even if fees are less than you'd hope, move them on and avoid two circuses causing a distraction in the summer.

4. Continue to give Garnacho, Mainoo and Hojlund key roles in the squad. Sign experienced back up players so they're not playing 80 minutes plus every week.

5. Sign two first choice centre backs. Move two of Varane, Maguire and Lindelof on and allow the one we keep to fight for his place.

Sign a full back who can potentially right or left back.

6. Using data from point 2, decide if the likes of Martinez, Shaw and Malacia have a long term future.

7. Analyse the value of McTominay and investigate what kind of short term impact he can have. Look at moving him on over the next couple of years.

8. Implement a policy that no player over the age of 23 can be sent away on loan unless there's an option to buy.

Last edited:

JB7

Money aside (silly me) do we care whether we get into Europa league/conference?
Of course we do, what a ridiculous question. United should be playing European football every season, granted that should be at the top table, but if not so be it.

Xaviboy

I would change the system up all together.

No point in playing 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, we can't play it. Tried it enough this season and under previous managers and failed in the end.

I would start implementing 3 at back and wing back system. 2 upfront. Make it hard for any team for rest of season.

Holjlund/Garnacho upfront from now on both dont stop running and work hard for team can both score.

Bruno as advanced midfielder, with Manoo and Casemiro at holding the midfield. AND Mean Holding. Stop the current gaps in midfield with 2 holding midfielders. Keep compact in there.

Wing backs that can play high and wide. Dalot and AWB currently but no harm in trying Antony as a advanced wing back in certain games.

3 CB.

If successful till end of season then start planning for recruitment of players that can improve the system/set up.

RuudTom83

Tell the defence to play higher...or ask the attackers to play deeper.

The squad lacks the players to do either tactic well, but trying to do both (play high and sit deep) is suicide. The midfielders look ridiculous and lazy but the reality is no CM can cover that much area of the pitch.

Robertd0803

Id be straight on the phone to Xabi Alonso to plead with him join either now or season after next.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Nothing, I'd wait to be sacked and run to Barbados with my million pound payoff

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I’d….

A lot of good ideas here, except

1. Rashford cannot be sold. Nobody will buy him and pay him that stupid salary, and his ego is too huge to take a paycut. We are stuck with him. All you can do is have 350K/week player on the bench permanently
2. Martinez has been injured all season. Literally played less than 4 full games. What kind of captain is that?

Dion

I'd sit down and let Berrada and co. do they job they're paid for.

Pughnichi

A lot of good ideas here, except

1. Rashford cannot be sold. Nobody will buy him and pay him that stupid salary, and his ego is too huge to take a paycut. We are stuck with him. All you can do is have 350K/week player on the bench permanently
2. Martinez has been injured all season. Literally played less than 4 full games. What kind of captain is that?
1) The longer he isn’t playing the more likely he is to lower his demands at any potential new suitor. And I would absolutely continue to freeze him out. Think Auba/Arteta at Arsenal. Of course that means less money we would receive for him…but at this point I’d just be happy to het him off the books.

2) hoping Martinez has just had an unfortunate season. And well rested over the summer he can slowly build up his match fitness. Do t think he had such problems at Ajax.

Catch

clear out sancho's and rashford's lockers. find another club lads asap. if you cant be arsed to run i cant be bothered to pick you
travel to saudi with youtube videos of varane and casemiro in their real madrid days and find buyers
clear guidance to bruno to play in a position and stick to it. no more going where you fancy. also cut down on the hollywood passes lets keep the ball for a bit. if he isnt happy with this, off you go.
Find a centre back between the ages of kobbie and jonny evans who has pace and can tackle.
find a centre mid who is approx 25 yrs old who has a good engine and will sit in midfield protecting with a partner. doesnt have to be a flash big name. if it doesnt work out we sell and replace. interesting what rio said on the overlap about coaches used to put a mat down in training in front of the back 4 and say at any one time either carrick or scholes has to be on it.
if you are out of form you dont get 10 games to find it. thats what training matches are for.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Pick a manager. Ten Hag or someone else. I honestly don’t care. But ensure they’re in it for 2 years and that they can work with young players.

Gut the squad. Ship out every single player with a shit attitude. That’s at least ten players. Sadly it includes Rashford.

I will happily tolerate two seasons out of finishing 5th-9th, while playing progressive, possession football under a manager that won’t get fired if we have a bad run of games, with a team full of youth products.

We have enough great youth players to finish above 50% of teams in the league.

Those that survive; Onana, Dalot, Martinez, Maguire, Shaw, Malacia, Mainoo, McTominay, Casemiro, Garnacho, Antony, Mount, Hojland, and not many others. Obviously I’d retain several that most hate, and some who have underperformed, but they have character and some seniority so I’m good with it.

Accept that in two years we’re going to have to sell some of those youth products to comply with FFP. Use that ‘pure profit’ - as much as I hate that term - to elevate the team and plan for the next phase.

We are a mess and can’t do another turn like this. We need a 5 year plan. And a 10 year plan.

tomaldinho1

We're safe from relegation so I'd genuinely play with a team I thought contained players who have a chance next season, apart from Case who will be sold but we just have no one else. What is the point in playing Varane, Rashford, Bruno when they should really all be leaving the club.

--------------------Onana----------------
Dalot - Maguire - Willy - AWB
------------------ Case ------------------
-------- Mainoo ---- Mount --------
Amad -------------------- Garnacho
---------------- Hojlund --------------

Recruitment has to be extremely aggressive on cheaper squad players, we have so little depth, snap up some of the average-good free agents this summer who will have small wages and be absolute work horses. Summer has to be DM, CB, LB as priority for bigger signings also younger (20-25 years old), have to look at this as a 2-3 year build.

stepic

Drop rashford and bruno
Play garnacho and amad on the wings
Play 3 in midfield - no 10

Dannn411

From the perspective of an owner who is a lifelong fan like Ratcliffe, i'd do the following:
1. Fire Erik Ten Hag the same day I join. Actually, the same hour I join. No need for any talks.
2. Clean effing house. Transfer list Bruno, Sancho, Rashford, Mctominay, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Casemiro, Antony, Pellistri, Van de Beek. Allow deadwood players on expiring contracts this summer to run out their contracts and don't resign any of them.
3. Instruct the football people to begin the search for a new manager immediately. Communicate my preferences to them.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Tell the defence to play higher...or ask the attackers to play deeper.

The squad lacks the players to do either tactic well, but trying to do both (play high and sit deep) is suicide. The midfielders look ridiculous and lazy but the reality is no CM can cover that much area of the pitch.
This is the key for me. We know that Maguire, for example, is slow on the turn but someone like Wan Bissaka isn't. I watched us against Liverpool, when Wan Bissaka was effectively man marking Salah, and I thought why aren't we playing a high line? There's only Núñez to worry about and he's not really a threat in behind, so why not the entire team push up and press hard, instead of just the front 5? What we got is what you described: half the team pressing high at one end of the pitch and the other half sat outside our own box waiting for the inevitable flood of Liverpool players tearing through a barren midfield.

So, yeah, number one thing I'm doing is playing a high line. If an opponent has the legs to run from the halfway line and is through on goal, so be it. I'd fancy our chances the vast majority of the time.

Second thing is Bruno and McTominay only play in the 10 position. They're both far better attacking than defending and they have goals and assists in them.

Thirdly, Garnacho and Antony play on the right and left respectively. I'm not a fan of this inverted winger nonsense. Get to the byline with your stronger foot and get some crosses and cutbacks in. Seems to work well for our opponents against us. If Antony doesn't improve dramatically in 5-6 games, then he's not good enough for Manchester United. Both lads have bags of energy and effort, so can tuck in and track back when we're out of possession.

Recall Pellestri. Play Amad and Mainoo. The young lads have been the stars of the show this season. Let's start as we mean to go on. If Amad goes forward, Mainoo stays back and vice versa.

Onana
Whichever four defenders aren't injured at the moment.
Garnacho Amad Mainoo Antony
Bruno
Hojlund

Precaution

Make ETH play Football Manager so he's preoccupied with something else and then get someone in that actually has a clue

siw2007

There’s a film called half baked where the bloke tells everyone in the room “f*** you” then “I’m out”.

Probably that.

Hughie77

Sell Onana, Rashford , Varane, Casimero, Maguire .. I'd give Amrabat back after loan .. Build a team Around Mainoo, Garanacho Hojlund.. those 3 are the most important players in Squad.
Antony can go, trouble is you can't get Rid of the lot in one window..

RuudTom83

This is the key for me. We know that Maguire, for example, is slow on the turn but someone like Wan Bissaka isn't. I watched us against Liverpool, when Wan Bissaka was effectively man marking Salah, and I thought why aren't we playing a high line? There's only Núñez to worry about and he's not really a threat in behind, so why not the entire team push up and press hard, instead of just the front 5? What we got is what you described: half the team pressing high at one end of the pitch and the other half sat outside our own box waiting for the inevitable flood of Liverpool players tearing through a barren midfield.

So, yeah, number one thing I'm doing is playing a high line. If an opponent has the legs to run from the halfway line and is through on goal, so be it. I'd fancy our chances the vast majority of the time.
I agree!

The conundrum for EtH is do you ask the defence to play higher, knowing full well Maguire/Varane/Lindelof will struggle?

If you accept the defence cannot play as you wish..

Then you either bring the attack deeper...back to square one of being a counter-attacking team.

Play a pressing game (with half a team) and hope the younger forwards can cover the gaps in midfield. Which is what's happening now, and failing miserably.

Or you force the defence to play higher and accept the risks. This option hasn't been tried yet.

Then to throw it back at the owners, during the summer it was pretty clear EtH wanted a CB to replace Maguire. Add Martinez getting injured all season and a genuine factor for what we have been seeing all season.