Young people please vote

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The more young people that we get to see voting in any election will produce better outcomes for everyone. Im an old bastard and people of my generation need to find a way or lots of ways to get young people engaged with voting. So all you young people please vote whenever your country or local area have elections, if you dont Im going to shit the bed again.

How can we get more young people to vote more??

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You will get more vote by having politicians that can convince them to give them their trust. Personally I am yet to see a politicians that I don't highly distrust.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
You will get more vote by having politicians that can convince them to give them their trust. Personally I am yet to see a politicians that I don't highly distrust.
Disagree. Most young folk just do not care enough.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
discount codes for G Fuel and Raid Shadow Legends.

JPRouve

Scout
Disagree. Most young folk just do not care enough.
Based on what? I can't talk for others but I can talk for myself and people around me, in the last 10 years, I have always cared about politics and the value of voting for someone/something that you believe in but when you actually follow politics and care about it, you clearly realize that politicians are for a large part compulsive liars who will tell you what you want to hear and do whatever they want when they are in office.

onemanarmy

Make voting compulsory
Yes! Do all elections on a Sunday too. Where I live, it's actually pretty fun. You see people you haven't seen for a while, everyone goes to vote and afterwards to a bar, take a stroll around town...

Smores

Yes! Do all elections on a Sunday too. Where I live, it's actually pretty fun. You see people you haven't seen for a while, everyone goes to vote and afterwards to a bar, take a stroll around town...
I've always thought it's crazy that voting isn't at a weekend. It creates such obvious imbalances in voting demographics.

I'd hope we're moving to digital voting some time soon but in reality the Tories won't let that happen.

Sweet Square

Australia which has compulsory voting and holds elections on a Saturday.

Scott Morrison's government has been elected with one of the lowest voter turnouts since the advent of compulsory voting as the nation's young turned their back on democracy after enrolling in droves for the same-sex marriage postal survey.

A special breakdown of voting figures from the May 18 poll suggests less than 91 per cent of people cast a ballot, formal or informal.

It is on track to be lower than the 2016 election and the worst result since the mid-1920s (excluding some years when up to a dozen seats had just one candidate) when compulsory voting was introduced after just 55 per cent of Australians voted at the 1922 general election.

Nearly 16.5 million - 96.8 per cent of eligible voters - were enrolled to vote, the most complete the electoral roll has been since Federation. This was in part due to an influx of younger voters who came onto the roll for the same-sex marriage postal survey in 2017.

But up to 1.5 million people on the roll failed to vote at the election. In some seats, once informal votes are taken into account, less than three-quarters of those entitled to vote cast a legitimate ballot.The biggest falls were in a string of inner-city electorates which have high proportions of young voters.In Melbourne, the youngest seat in the country with a median age of 30, turnout is below 82 per cent. At the 2013 election, 90 per cent of the electorate's voters cast a ballot.

In Sydney, held by former Labor deputy leader Tanya Plibersek, the median age of voters is 32. There the voter turnout fell to a similarly low level after being as high as 90.8 per cent at the 2007 election.

Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide - all either the youngest or among the youngest electorates in their respective states - had among the lowest state turnouts.
Some close seats with relatively large populations of young people, such as Swan in Western Australia and Chisholm in Victoria, could have changed hands if turnout had been higher.

Outside the capital city seats, every electorate with a median age of 33 or less - bar Holt in Victoria - had a turnout rate less than 90 per cent.

By contrast, across the five electorates of Tasmania, the nation's oldest state with median ages of up to 45, voter turnout slightly increased with each one above 92 per cent. The NSW electorate of Lyne, the oldest in the country with a median age of 50, also had a similarly high turnout.

https://www.smh.com.au/federal-elec...r-young-people-disengage-20190530-p51sol.html

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Based on what? I can't talk for others but I can talk for myself and people around me, in the last 10 years, I have always cared about politics and the value of voting for someone/something that you believe in but when you actually follow politics and care about it, you clearly realize that politicians are for a large part compulsive liars who will tell you what you want to hear and do whatever they want when they are in office.
A nihilistic attitude like this probably helped get Trump elected and Leave win the Brexit referendum. You’re dead right about politicians in general but, equally, there are obvious worst case scenarios that can be avoided by voting for the least bad option.

AaronRedDevil

There’s just no point to vote to be honest. You’re basically picking which evil you want less. I couldn’t care less about some ahole politician. What if it’s the wrong choice, then I’m responsible for putting that pos in office. All they do I lie through there teeth regardless of what was promise. Ireland is fecking useless with them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This really could work, you know.
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think giving late teens a discount code to ASOS and Boohoo if they vote would probably get them all voting.

I agree with @JPRouve too. In the last two elections myself and my group of friends/even friends of friends within the age group of 21-25ish haven't been voting for a party or politician we actually align with or like. We are all left leaning but just don't associate with Labour/SNP that much anymore and our voting has been reduced to tactical or spoiling.

JPRouve

Scout
A nihilistic attitude like this probably helped get Trump elected and Leave win the Brexit referendum. You’re dead right about politicians in general but, equally, there are obvious worst case scenarios that can be avoided by voting for the least bad option.
I think that it's insulting and the reason Trump and Brexit happened is because a large amount of people supported it, to put the blame or even a part of it on anyone else is weird. Also at the end of the day, if you are convinced that the men on the stands are scumbags and lying to you which is often easily verifiable then the problem is with the large groups of people supporting them and allowing them to still have a tribune not the ones who refuse to support them.

Personally I will vote blank every time that I don't genuinely support a politcian and I would love it if it had an actual consequence.

Edit: Keep in mind that anyone below 35 has a very easy access to information, we have spent the entirity of our adult lives reading and hearing about all the lies and deceptions, we also know how previous generations have been betrayed by politicians that are still around but for some reason, you guys think that it won't have a consequence on our relationship with these politicians and a large amount of under 30 have absolutely no trust in politicians?

Flying high

This... with the added option of none of the above on the ballot and a switch to pr

Give it two election cycles and you will see political parties really try to engage and win those non committed votes
It's about time our long-standing head of state stepped in and did something for the people before she departs...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
The simple answer. Get politicians who appeal to young people and are authentic, and you’ll get more young people voting. The education system, for one, is also not designed to get kids interested in politics because that’s the last thing the government wants.

Dan_F

The simple answer. Get politicians who appeal to young people and are authentic, and you’ll get more young people voting. The education system, for one, is also not designed to get kids interested in politics because that’s the last thing the government wants.
Yep. Was just about to say it comes down to education. It is compulsory for schools in the UK to promote “British Values”, one of which is about living in a democracy for example. I don’t know how this is actually taught, and it will rely on the teachers point of view too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think that it's insulting and the reason Trump and Brexit happened is because a large amount of people supported it, to put the blame or even a part of it on anyone else is weird. Also at the end of the day, if you are convinced that the men on the stands are scumbags and lying to you which is often easily verifiable then the problem is with the large groups of people supporting them and allowing them to still have a tribune not the ones who refuse to support them.

Personally I will vote blank every time that I don't genuinely support a politcian and I would love it if it had an actual consequence.

Edit: Keep in mind that anyone below 35 has a very easy access to information, we have spent the entirity of our adult lives reading and hearing about all the lies and deceptions, we also know how previous generations have been betrayed by politicians that are still around but for some reason, you guys think that it won't have a consequence on our relationship with these politicians and a large amount of under 30 have absolutely no trust in politicians?
You can’t be serious? Anyone who didn’t vote against Trump/Brexit obviously contributed to their victory. How is that weird? It’s stating the bleeding obvious, if anything.

Mind you, I do think obvious voting decisions like that are relatively rare. Gay marriage referendum in Ireland was another. There was no reasonable excuse for not voting in that one IMO. I can understand people being jaded with mainstream political parties and it’s difficult deciding on the “least bad” option in a general election. Although the rise of properly malignant far right parties in many countries in recent years means it’s still important to make your vote count.

Last edited:

Cloud7

As a 'young' (28) person who recently (just under two weeks ago) had a general election in my country, this being the first one I ever participated in, I can shed some light on my thoughts on this matter. First and foremost, the total voter turnout was around 50% of our population, so there's that. While we don't have a defined two party system like other places, for all of my life there have been primarily two political parties that have had a back and forth with governance. As I've gotten older I've taken it upon myself to become more educated with respect to our politics because I care about the direction that our country goes, and that led me to the position I took in the last election. Just as a side note, for the most part our politicians rarely ever talk about issues when they're campaigning, short of some vague promises to make things better. It's usually just a sh*t slinging contest.

So first up, the previous government. I was thoroughly disappointed in their performance over the last five years. They handled Covid well enough, but prior to that, there wasn't anything I could point to and say that I was pleased with what they did. Their rhetoric for most of the past five years has been 'Well the previous government did this, so we've had no choice but to do this', basically passing on the blame to the previous regime despite it being years later. There was no way I could bring myself to support them, as there was nothing there for me to support.

Next up, the opposition. Now if you asked me this question in January, I would have said I would be voting for them with 100% certainty, and a lot of people thought at the start of the year they would sleepwalk to a victory, as so many people were dissatisfied with the performance of the government at the time. And then Covid came along, and they just started shooting themselves in the foot over and over and over. They kept on saying the most ridiculous things, like we shouldn't go into lockdown, we can't close the bars etc, it was all just opposition for the sake of opposition, without any sort of thought behind it. During the campaigning for this election the leader of the opposition went so far as to say that if she wins, then she plans to re-open our borders, all of this while Covid is hitting harder than it has since the pandemic began! Absolute madness! Added to that, some of their advertisements were outright racist, which I did not predict they would stoop to at all. Looking at the bigger picture, they adopted a very Trumpian style of campaigning, even going so far as to adopt one of his slogans, MAGA, and use our country name in it. So again, no way I could support this.

These two are the two major political parties, and neither of them deserves my vote. What am I to do then?

The other political parties include one led by one Jack Warner, who I believe should be rotting in a federal jail right now, another led by a guy who genuinely comes across as if he has schizophrenia on his social media posts. Once again, what am I to do? Well, the answer is what I actually ended up doing.

A few people started a political party called THC and went up for the election. They only contested a few seats, and I'm still convinced that they did this completely as a joke as they didn't campaign or anything short of posting a few photos on Facebook, but, they were the ones I ended up voting for. They were the only ones that wouldn't hurt me as a person to vote for. I can't get behind this 'lesser of two evils' philosophy that people try to parrot, especially when there's barely any actual difference between them.

The previous government ended up winning the election, and more power to them. I think a large part of what mobilized their supporters was the outright racist rhetoric that the opposition took, combined with the actual madness they had been spouting. I hope that the next five years are better than the five that came before it. At the end of the day, I've lived through both governments in my life and very little has changed on a day to day basis when things have changed hands between the two of them, which is quite a popular line of thought in the country, and why a lot of people don't vote.

Voter apathy is a serious problem, but what is the solution? The only solution will be to get better politicians. Politicians that actually care about the people, and want to make things better, not ones who care about lining their own pockets. Politicians that people can actually look at and say that this person represents who I stand for as a human being. The young generation in particular, who are faced with the second 'once in a generation' financial crisis of their young lives. Who find it impossible to get on the property ladder. Who struggle to find gainful employment in a world that has an ever growing wealth disparity, all while being told that they're too soft, and they need to work harder, as if they haven't been forced into being cogs in a system deliberately set up to exploit them and keep them where they are to feed the pockets of the upper class, and who most likely work just as hard, if not harder than the generation before, but aren't as lucky with the conditions around them. Young people who have seen politicians and governments come and go, and nothing actually change for them, probably only continuously get worse. How can you look at someone like that and say that because they don't vote they don't care. What is there to care for? Which guy stands on TV and tells you things will get better if you support me, all while not knowing if you can afford food for the next month?

What is there to vote for if nothing ever changes? You can turn it around and then say that if you exercise apathy then surely nothing will change on it's own, but then it becomes a vicious cycle of life being the same whether you vote or don't vote.

Stack

As a 'young' (28) person who recently (just under two weeks ago) had a general election in my country, this being the first one I ever participated in, I can shed some light on my thoughts on this matter. First and foremost, the total voter turnout was around 50% of our population, so there's that. While we don't have a defined two party system like other places, for all of my life there have been primarily two political parties that have had a back and forth with governance. As I've gotten older I've taken it upon myself to become more educated with respect to our politics because I care about the direction that our country goes, and that led me to the position I took in the last election. Just as a side note, for the most part our politicians rarely ever talk about issues when they're campaigning, short of some vague promises to make things better. It's usually just a sh*t slinging contest.

So first up, the previous government. I was thoroughly disappointed in their performance over the last five years. They handled Covid well enough, but prior to that, there wasn't anything I could point to and say that I was pleased with what they did. Their rhetoric for most of the past five years has been 'Well the previous government did this, so we've had no choice but to do this', basically passing on the blame to the previous regime despite it being years later. There was no way I could bring myself to support them, as there was nothing there for me to support.

Next up, the opposition. Now if you asked me this question in January, I would have said I would be voting for them with 100% certainty, and a lot of people thought at the start of the year they would sleepwalk to a victory, as so many people were dissatisfied with the performance of the government at the time. And then Covid came along, and they just started shooting themselves in the foot over and over and over. They kept on saying the most ridiculous things, like we shouldn't go into lockdown, we can't close the bars etc, it was all just opposition for the sake of opposition, without any sort of thought behind it. During the campaigning for this election the leader of the opposition went so far as to say that if she wins, then she plans to re-open our borders, all of this while Covid is hitting harder than it has since the pandemic began! Absolute madness! Added to that, some of their advertisements were outright racist, which I did not predict they would stoop to at all. Looking at the bigger picture, they adopted a very Trumpian style of campaigning, even going so far as to adopt one of his slogans, MAGA, and use our country name in it. So again, no way I could support this.

These two are the two major political parties, and neither of them deserves my vote. What am I to do then?

The other political parties include one led by one Jack Warner, who I believe should be rotting in a federal jail right now, another led by a guy who genuinely comes across as if he has schizophrenia on his social media posts. Once again, what am I to do? Well, the answer is what I actually ended up doing.

A few people started a political party called THC and went up for the election. They only contested a few seats, and I'm still convinced that they did this completely as a joke as they didn't campaign or anything short of posting a few photos on Facebook, but, they were the ones I ended up voting for. They were the only ones that wouldn't hurt me as a person to vote for. I can't get behind this 'lesser of two evils' philosophy that people try to parrot, especially when there's barely any actual difference between them.

The previous government ended up winning the election, and more power to them. I think a large part of what mobilized their supporters was the outright racist rhetoric that the opposition took, combined with the actual madness they had been spouting. I hope that the next five years are better than the five that came before it. At the end of the day, I've lived through both governments in my life and very little has changed on a day to day basis when things have changed hands between the two of them, which is quite a popular line of thought in the country, and why a lot of people don't vote.

Voter apathy is a serious problem, but what is the solution? The only solution will be to get better politicians. Politicians that actually care about the people, and want to make things better, not ones who care about lining their own pockets. Politicians that people can actually look at and say that this person represents who I stand for as a human being. The young generation in particular, who are faced with the second 'once in a generation' financial crisis of their young lives. Who find it impossible to get on the property ladder. Who struggle to find gainful employment in a world that has an ever growing wealth disparity, all while being told that they're too soft, and they need to work harder, as if they haven't been forced into being cogs in a system deliberately set up to exploit them and keep them where they are to feed the pockets of the upper class, and who most likely work just as hard, if not harder than the generation before, but aren't as lucky with the conditions around them. Young people who have seen politicians and governments come and go, and nothing actually change for them, probably only continuously get worse. How can you look at someone like that and say that because they don't vote they don't care. What is there to care for? Which guy stands on TV and tells you things will get better if you support me, all while not knowing if you can afford food for the next month?

What is there to vote for if nothing ever changes? You can turn it around and then say that if you exercise apathy then surely nothing will change on it's own, but then it becomes a vicious cycle of life being the same whether you vote or don't vote.
Appreciate the reply.

The more people we get engaged with voting the better the chance there is for meaningful change to take place.

I just wish I knew what the magic trick was to get people engaged with voting, it seems to me there is something missing from how we educate our kids that has let them down with respect to low voting turnout among the younger generation. The younger generation need a voice because so many of them have important things to say and because society needs their input.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
How can we get more young people to vote more??
  • Reflect their aspirations and ideologies at government level with relatable and innovative candidates, instead of trotting out out-of-sync and slimy career politicians (as that induces apathy).
  • Overhaul of political establishments to ensure proper representation of the people instead of shoving pre-fabricated strategies down folks' throats and gas-lighting them with rock-and-hard-place/I'm-bad-but-that-guy/gal-is-worse type options.
  • Active grassroots organisation, better targeted campaigning (especially in and around campuses), make the voting process more accessible/efficient and voting weekend a paid holiday with free public transport for everyone.
  • Rank-choice voting with greater focus on clearly defined policies addressing specific issues that are affecting them or will affect them over the course of their lives, rather than corporate interests, or values and other such banalities.
  • Greater funding for public schools and better, smarter, funner political/civic education to reduce disengagement/ignorance and make them vested in the government (politicians obviously don't want this because an educated and active populace is less likely to be hoodwinked).
  • At a certain point you just have to accept that young people won't vote as much because of time/logistical constraints, and it being boring and lower down their list of priorities... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cloud7

Appreciate the reply.

The more people we get engaged with voting the better the chance there is for meaningful change to take place.

I just wish I knew what the magic trick was to get people engaged with voting, it seems to me there is something missing from how we educate our kids that has let them down with respect to low voting turnout among the younger generation. The younger generation need a voice because so many of them have important and because society needs their input.
I agree, but people aren't going to get engaged until there are politicians that can properly engage them. That's where the fault lies. People do want to care about their countries, and they do want things to get better, but until the people in these positions to enact change actually connect with the voters and represent what they stand for, nothing will change.

This is anecdotal, but I've never seen a genuinely good person become a politician. There are a few people I know semi-personally that have gone into politics, and none of them are what I would call particularly good people that I would say I could see myself voting for.

JPRouve

Scout
You can’t be serious? Anyone who didn’t vote against Trump/Brexit obviously contributed to their victory. How is that weird? It’s stating the bleeding obvious, if anything.

Mind you, I do think obvious voting decisions like that are relatively rare. Gay marriage referendum in Ireland was another. There was no reasonable excuse for not voting in that one IMO. I can understand people being jaded with mainstream political parties and it’s difficult deciding on the “least bad” option in a general election. Although the rise of properly malignant far right parties in many countries in recent years means it’s still important to make your vote count.
Of course I can be serious, you are absolving millions of people and the almost 50% of the voting population who actually voted for Trump and Brexit. And then blame a minority who have very good reasons to distrust politicians(It's the same reason you distrust them). Why don't people focus on the decades of votes for crooks and liars that have eroded the public's faith in politicians, it's not as if previous generations did a great job with their choices and unfortunately it's mainly the same politicians we have to pick today.

JPRouve

Scout
I agree, but people aren't going to get engaged until there are politicians that can properly engage them. That's where the fault lies. People do want to care about their countries, and they do want things to get better, but until the people in these positions to enact change actually connect with the voters and represent what they stand for, nothing will change.

This is anecdotal, but I've never seen a genuinely good person become a politician. There are a few people I know semi-personally that have gone into politics, and none of them are what I would call particularly good people that I would say I could see myself voting for.
I have been engaged in politics and I can tell you that many don't care about you, they only care about being elected and it's not even for power but for the social and economic comfort that it provides.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Of course I can be serious, you are absolving millions of people and the almost 50% of the voting population who actually voted for Trump and Brexit. And then blame a minority who have very good reasons to distrust politicians(It's the same reason you distrust them). Why don't people focus on the decades of votes for crooks and liars that have eroded the public's faith in politicians, it's not as if previous generations did a great job with their choices and unfortunately it's mainly the same politicians we have to pick today.
I’m not absolving anyone. And the fact that the people who voted for Trump/Brexit are more culpable for the outcome than those who didn’t vote at all is also obvious.

This thread is about the importance of voting. Hence I’m bringing up examples where failing to exercise that right had consequences and “politicians are all as bad as each other” was a crappy excuse for staying home.

Cloud7

I have been engaged in politics and I can tell you that many don't care about you, they only care about being elected and it's not even for power but for the social and economic comfort that it provides.
Yeah that's the feeling I get as well. Nothing will change until we get politicians that care, which may very well never happen in our lifetimes.

Stack

• Reflect their aspirations and ideologies at government level with relatable and innovative candidates, instead of trotting out out-of-sync and slimy career politicians (as that induces apathy).
  • Overhaul of political establishments to ensure proper representation of the people instead of shoving pre-fabricated strategies down folks' throats and gas-lighting them with rock-and-hard-place/I'm-bad-but-that-guy/gal-is-worse type options.
  • Active grassroots organisation, better targeted campaigning (especially in and around campuses), make the voting process more accessible/efficient and voting weekend a paid holiday with free public transport for everyone.
  • Rank-choice voting with greater focus on clearly defined policies addressing specific issues that are affecting them or will affect them over the course of their lives, rather than corporate interests, or values and other such banalities.
  • Greater funding for public schools and better, smarter, funner political/civic education to reduce disengagement/ignorance and make them vested in the government (politicians obviously don't want this because an educated and active populace is less likely to be hoodwinked).
  • At a certain point you just have to accept that young people won't vote as much because of time/logistical constraints, and it being boring and lower down their list of priorities... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Great points. Im not sure about your last one though, that seems to me to be a function of a lack of understanding of why its important for their own generation which for me points to a failure of the systems to engage.

JPRouve

Scout
I’m not absolving anyone. And the fact that the people who voted for Trump/Brexit are more culpable for the outcome than those who didn’t vote at all is also obvious.

This thread is about the importance of voting. Hence I’m bringing up examples where failing to exercise that right had consequences and “politicians are all as bad as each other” was a crappy excuse for staying home.
No the thread is about how do you convince a minority of the population to vote more. The answer to that question can only be answered when you understand why people are less engaged and how to fix it. You directly blamed that minority for something they didn't vote instead of blaming the people that actually chose Trump and Brexit.

And "voting is important" is a crappy excuse for voting for someone you rightfully don't trust, It's like crossing the road knowing full well that a truck is going to hit you. Now if you want a suggestion, make voting compulsory and make blank votes eliminatory for all candidates when it reaches a certain threshold.

0le

Young people generally seem to only consider sports players, actors and entertainers (artists, comedians etc) as role models. If you have politicians that can relate to young people, then you may be able to increase the likelihood of young people turning up to vote for them. However, it seems unlikely this will ever be the case.

Another approach could be compulsory education in history and politics until 18 years of age. When I was in school, history was only taught until Year 9 (the year before GCSE's) and politics was only available as an A-Level. If you made both history and politics compulsory until 18 years of age, perhaps more young people would be interested in voting. This is because they would be aware of the issues affecting both themselves and the wider society. But it requires a good education system which generates interest and intrigue and also covers both domestic and international topics.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Young people generally seem to only consider sports players, actors and entertainers (artists, comedians etc) as role models. If you have politicians that can relate to young people, then you may be able to increase the likelihood of young people turning up to vote for them. However, it seems unlikely this will ever be the case.

Another approach could be compulsory education in history and politics until 18 years of age. When I was in school, history was only taught until Year 9 (the year before GCSE's) and politics was only available as an A-Level. If you made both history and politics compulsory until 18 years of age, perhaps more young people would be interested in voting. This is because they would be aware of the issues affecting both themselves and the wider society. But it requires a good education system which generates interest and intrigue and also covers both domestic and international topics.
Depends what they teach.

I did GCSE history and all we learned about was WW2 and The Great Depression in America. Interesting stuff but hardly likely to give me a more informed opinion on voting.