Your captain and vice captain for 19/20 season.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Maybe worth a poll but with this talk of a possible Herrera exit who I thought was perfect captain material, who can lead this side from next season, if it is indeed, an Ole side?

Pogba? Smalling? De Gea?

What about vice captain? Jones? Lol
Smalling? Matic?

Tough to call as we need CL football to possibly retain our best players.

Steerpike

I'm still hoping Herrera stays, in which case he'd be my choice as captain with Smalling for vice-captain. The other candidate for me would be Ashley Young, but the issue there is that he may not be a first team regular (Dalot should get more game time, and we may bring in another RB anyway). I don't really go for goalkeepers as captains, and I just don't think Pogba fits the bill.

Jones I think will be too much of a fringe player, and I'm not sure Matic will feature that regularly next season either.

Jib

Pogba captain, Young VC.
If Pogba goes to Madrid, Young captain and Smalling VC.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If they're still here: Ander as captain and de Gea as vice-captain.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Two things to vote? Not sure if two polls can be put in one thread.
Would be messy if we mix both of it into one.
Never really thought of that tbh.
Would probably be easier to do the poll after a discussion as it would be easier to narrow down pairs.

Web of Bissaka

1. Captain Young
-- the only one that "make sense" for now, just for short term until he gets worse and Dalot can steal his place.

2. Captain De Gea
-- make him the captain after Young. Let 'im captain the side when young is out. Seriously need to settle his contract first, if he's leaving, I don't see the point.

3. VC Herrera
-- if we give him the capt armband, seems to be short term. Stay and I say he should be the 1st VC.

4. VC Smalling
-- just as vice captain, and captaining the side if the capt is out/injured/rested, so captain cover?

5. Captain Pogba ?
-- future captain maybe, let him captain the team when the top 4 are not playing, so he'll prepare and get used to it. Tbh, I just can't trust him now. His game also seems to be different and messed up when he's wearing the armband than his normal games.

6. Matic
-- just as cover.

7. Lindelof
-- potential, let's see him improve and grow his influence into the team first.

8. Shaw
-- maybe maybe, we'll see his future development.

RedCurry

Smalling or Herrera as captain and the other as vice-captain. No point making people captain if they aren’t responsible for organizing the team.

el3mel

Smalling is the only logical candidate. Herrera (if he's still around) , Matic or Young to take it when he's not playing.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I have never understood the point of making a keeper a captain. If there is an incident in the offensive half of the field, you need your captain there talking to the ref. So a keeper makes no sense. With that being said, I think our next captain should be someone who is a first XI player who is young, and ready to spend a lot of seasons with the club. Of couse, they also have to be a leader. So I'm not sure who that is. Pogba makes too many headlines for the wrong reason to make him captain (see Madrid comments). Or perhaps, giving him the armband is exactly the kind of love that he needs. I always thought Jones would be a future captain, but with all his injuries he's never made himself a first 11 player. Herrara is an obvious choice, but we need to get a contract extension signed first. Who else does that leave? Young and Matic would be good captains but there's not much left in their tank. Is Rashford ready to step up? Good player who is young, came through the system, has Manchester in his blood, but he seems like more of a follower than a leader. So for me, I guess that means either Pogba or Herrara. But before I make that decision, I'd like to see who we have coming in this summer...

tieunhilang

Maybe worth a poll but with this talk of a possible Herrera exit who I thought was perfect captain material, who can lead this side from next season, if it is indeed, an Ole side?

Pogba? Smalling? De Gea?

What about vice captain? Jones? Lol
Smalling? Matic?

Tough to call as we need CL football to possibly retain our best players.
I think we are not sure which criteria Manchester United would base on to choose the next captain.

If it's pure seniority, Ashley Young would be favorite, and Smalling as vice-captain.
If they want the captain as a talisman, Pogba takes the cake with De Gea/Smalling as vice-captains.
If they want a fierce captain to organize stuffs, Herrera takes it. And Lindelof/Smalling can share the vice-captain role.
Despite the abuse he got, I think Lukaku has quite a fair shout too.

Last but not least, we sold Fellaini a bit too soon. He would surely add some spice to these kind of threads. :D

Last edited:

Ghengis

I dont think we have one player that really deserve the armband. I know a lot of people want Herrera and i see where they coming from but if we really want to challenge for the league and CL i dont think he is more than a squad player really.
If it wasnt for Pogbas comments about Madrid i would have said him but now the only player i feel is worth the armband is De Gea and i never liked goalkeepers being captain plus i dont see a lot of leadership in him. This team desperately needs some leaders.

SAFMUTD

Herrera captain and Young VC.

De Gea is really good but he is not a leader, while Pogba some times has that leadership but doesn’t strike me as a typical captain. I prefer captains with strong character, the ones that may have a good or bad game but always run their socks off.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Rashford and Lingard aka Rashy & J Lingz.

Embrace the times lads.

SungSam7

A captain doesn't throw a strop anytime a ball is missplaced. Also a true captain gives 110% every game and encourages players when they are clearly struggling. Only scenario where you f*ck a player out of it is when you see a player giving up.

Now tell me, is Pogba still fitting the bill?

Darkhorsez

Two things to vote? Not sure if two polls can be put in one thread.
Would be messy if we mix both of it into one.
Alternative is to have a poll added for who folks like to see as Captain. Then the number 2 selection would be the vice captain?

Renegade

Captaincy doesn’t mean much anymore.

When you see players like Ozil and Valencia running around with the armband you have to laugh.

I don’t even know who the captain’s of some of the biggest teams are anymore.
Is Aszpi Chelsea captain? Who’s the Arsenal captain these days?

Revan

Assumptionman
Pogba - De Gea - Herrera - Smalling, in that order. Young should play as less as possible next season.

dove

1. Captain Young
-- the only one that "make sense" for now, just for short term until he gets worse and Dalot can steal his place.
Have you watched him this season? He has been a complete liability most of the time.

Adebesi

Not sure Pogba is temperamentally suited to being captain.

De Gea or Herrera would be better candidates. Herrera first, De Gea VC - unless we buy a midfielder that pushes Herrera out of the first XI. In which case give it to De Gea.

el3mel

A captain doesn't throw a strop anytime a ball is missplaced. Also a true captain gives 110% every game and encourages players when they are clearly struggling. Only scenario where you f*ck a player out of it is when you see a player giving up.

Agree. Pogba suggestions are ridiculous. It's like a forced idea.

Alabaster Codify7

No idea who's even gonna be there. We don't have many leaders in this squad to be honest, if any at all, so it's hard to say even if everyone stays.

Eleven-Eighteen

Jesus - hate to imagine what'd happen if we don't make Top 4 and also lose Herrera. March is turning out to be a lot more stressful after a great Dec, Jan and Feb

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Young as captain, Smalling as vice-captain with Jones as back-up - three guys we know for sure aren't leaving the club any time soon.

Owen06

The thread title says "your captain and vice captain" no one is asking you about pogba so I don't know why you made all that up just to shit on him.i am not suggesting he should be made captain but He is a quality player who seems to have influence in the dressing room so making him captain is not absurd.its not like we have great options to pick from.

Owen06

My captain should beee....dunno maybe Herrera or smalling and some one like de gea as vice.

Edit: captains are overrated for clubs this days there are no Keane's and Gerard out there anymore.quality players nowadays are mecrenaries.only countries have great captains now.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Young has to be captain given seniority, Pogba to be vice as he is a leader on the pitch when he's at his peak - plus he's almost always certain to be on the pitch if fit.

purgethefallen

I dont think we have one player that really deserve the armband. I know a lot of people want Herrera and i see where they coming from but if we really want to challenge for the league and CL i dont think he is more than a squad player really.
If it wasnt for Pogbas comments about Madrid i would have said him but now the only player i feel is worth the armband is De Gea and i never liked goalkeepers being captain plus i dont see a lot of leadership in him. This team desperately needs some leaders.
This is the big problem with United at the moment, there is no obvious leader of the team.