Your captain and vice captain for 19/20 season.

Drz

Maybe worth a poll but with this talk of a possible Herrera exit who I thought was perfect captain material, who can lead this side from next season, if it is indeed, an Ole side?

Pogba? Smalling? De Gea?

What about vice captain? Jones? Lol
Smalling? Matic?

Tough to call as we need CL football to possibly retain our best players.
Whilst character is probably the first attribute, it also has to be someone the team can rely on to be an autopick when fit because of the consistency in form.

Only DDG comes to mind with that criteria.
Also Dave Saves.

SungSam7

The thread title says "your captain and vice captain" no one is asking you about pogba so I don't know why you made all that up just to shit on him.i am not suggesting he should be made captain but He is a quality player who seems to have influence in the dressing room so making him captain is not absurd.its not like we have great options to pick from.
Forgive me, you must have been hired as the forum police.

This is a discussion forum, I can see a lot has selected Pobga as captain, I disagree with it and gave my opinion on it. That is what a forum is about, I didn't just pull Pogba out of nowhere. Also I never gave my opinion on "captain or vice captain" because no one on the current team are leaders. Young is only a mouth box, Smalling can't make a two-yard pass. Only person who fits even close to that is Herrera. Are you happy?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
What captain qualities do people see in De Gea? He's not particularly involved or proactive. Brilliant at his job but it's a very limited one, in nature. Plus, he's on the verge of leaving the club every summer.

Not to mention he's a GK. They're all weird, train separately and basically play a different sport.

Last edited:

Ekeke

If Ander stays then him as captain and Smalling as vice captain.

If Ander goes then Smalling as captain... And wait and see on the vice captain because nobody jumps off the page

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Some seem to not understand what happens when your captain loses the ball and throws a strop instead of tracking back (which Pogba does plenty). Being a dressing room leader is generally very different from being a captain. The dressing room is about getting to know each other, the captain is about setting the example and motivating players when they are playing poorly.

Herrera is the obvious captain, because he is always working and gives players a bollocking if they mess up. Matic and Smalling are also candidates.

cyril C

I have never understood the point of making a keeper a captain. If there is an incident in the offensive half of the field, you need your captain there talking to the ref. So a keeper makes no sense. With that being said, I think our next captain should be someone who is a first XI player who is young, and ready to spend a lot of seasons with the club. Of couse, they also have to be a leader. So I'm not sure who that is. Pogba makes too many headlines for the wrong reason to make him captain (see Madrid comments). Or perhaps, giving him the armband is exactly the kind of love that he needs. I always thought Jones would be a future captain, but with all his injuries he's never made himself a first 11 player. Herrara is an obvious choice, but we need to get a contract extension signed first. Who else does that leave? Young and Matic would be good captains but there's not much left in their tank. Is Rashford ready to step up? Good player who is young, came through the system, has Manchester in his blood, but he seems like more of a follower than a leader. So for me, I guess that means either Pogba or Herrara. But before I make that decision, I'd like to see who we have coming in this summer...
Come on, whoever coming in won't be the new captain, not yet. It will be who are staying or extended their contract.

I also agree with the Keeper statement but nowadays still see many keeper as Captain. May be FIFA should change the rule to allow 2 Captains on the pitch.

EnelDoobacabra

Yet another area where the absence of Wayne Rooney is completely felt in my opinion. I know I will probably get rinsed (and unfairly so) for taking this stance - but that man was an absolute slave to this club for the most part. Completely and utterly unselfish in totality. Despite what you wanna say about Wazza, I truly believe he was a good leader for the squad throughout his reign as Captain.

Now, we just don't seem to have that brand of player specifically anymore (hilarious since we used to quite literally produce that brand from one academy prospect to the next)... I would have to agree with the consensus that Ander Herrera should be named Captain. He is passionate and clearly bleeds red. Fearless too. He is quite honestly the closest thing we have to fitting the bill.

I would personally appoint Shaw as VC and let him develop into a mature leader. He's another one that seems to desperately want to make it at United specifically, and I honestly have nothing but praise for the kid due to the way he has well and truly hung in there (especially under Mourinho). Smalling would be a good Deputy Captain when those two are not around. He's experienced in the role at least, but I've never had the impression that he's actually a strong, commanding leader.

Pogba should be kept as far away as humanly possible from the armband though if you ask me. Fantastic talent. And on his day boy is he on. But ultimately he's all ego. He'll one day think he's bigger than the club, in fact I think a lot of people would argue that that's already the case.

OL29

Yet another area where the absence of Wayne Rooney is completely felt in my opinion. I know I will probably get rinsed (and unfairly so) for taking this stance - but that man was an absolute slave to this club for the most part. Completely and utterly unselfish in totality. Despite what you wanna say about Wazza, I truly believe he was a good leader for the squad throughout his reign as Captain.
That's ridiculous. Demanded to be the best paid player and publicly went to war with Fergie and the club to secure a new contract. Then bitched and moaned when asked to play out of position (a position he previously claimed was his best) just because RVP had taken up his mantle as our star player. I disagree with the amount of slander Rooney takes from united fans but he was far from unselfish, come on now.

EnelDoobacabra

That's ridiculous. Demanded to be the best paid player and publicly went to war with Fergie and the club to secure a new contract. Then bitched and moaned when asked to play out of position (a position he previously claimed was his best) just because RVP had taken up his mantle as our star player. I disagree with the amount of slander Rooney takes from united fans but he was far from unselfish, come on now.

I was more talking about on the pitch. And I disagree with you that Rooney complained about being played out of position. Never once in his later years was that the case (and I am judging him here in this thread on his Captaining years). RVP, as talismanic as he was, ultimately proved to be the opposite mould. He faked an injury through his last season with us, barely played at all under LVG and then let his Utd career go out with a bit of a whimper. Post-Ferguson I honestly wanted/expected Van Persie to step up and be the leader that everyone in the team needed, especially since in Fergie's last season he was exactly that on the pitch... But alas it never happened. And yes I do believe Rooney was the unlikely candidate who did just that.

Post-Fergie Rooney always put the team first and that was very clear to anyone who watched the games. He did the same at Everton too in his final PL Season. He copped an awful lot of flak at both clubs whilst doing just that too. As for RVP - honestly, I think people forget Rooney was far more integral to Moyes's team too (he was really the only saving grace about anything that season), and that was when Vidic still wore the armband. I will forever love headband Wazza.

Minimalist

Should be Dave really.

If you don't want a goalkeeper, Smalling is the most sensible option.

Ban

He bitched and moaned, are you sure? He played any position which was asked from him?

Kag

Pogba is going to cause us issues sooner or later. I’m not necessarily against him getting the captaincy (primarily due to lack of genuine options), but let’s not pretend there isn’t the inevitable saga ahead.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Ashley Young as captain? Cmon, ffs.

I love the guy, but we should be aiming to replace him as a first team starter with a better player, not making him captain.

Pogba or Herrera for me.

Andersonson

We need a captain who is first choice. Hopefully that mean Herrera and Young isnt even a contender.

Smalling and Pogba has been vice captains under Ole, so I think its gonna be Pogba and Smalling as vice captain

Copa Mundial

I think we can all agree that the lack of an obvious candidate for Captain is somewhat depressing.

For me:
Pogba is too immature.
Dave is way to quiet.
Young is just not good enough.
Ander isn't guaranteed to start next season.
Smalling is hardly inspirational.

We're so lacking in genuine leaders it's untrue!

redasian

Maybe giving it to Pogba might push him up another level, if that kind of thing motivates him. Otherwise Herrera first VC. Young if he's on the pitch is a good shout. Anyone think Lindelof is suitable for leadership? :)

I agree we're lacking in genuine leaders. Any new signing isn't going to come in and immediately be captain though, so I think Pogba might be a good shout.

KranjskaKlobasa

Smalling as 1st choice and the Iceman as his alternative. Both are level headed and give everything for the team. As for their leadership and motivational skills I'm also convinced that both should do adequat job in those two areas.

Ban

I'll probably be called a Jose licker but I don't think Pogba is a captain material.

Canagel

We don't have players that combine leadership+quality.

DDG has quality but couldn't even command his bAck 4 let alone lead the whole team.
Young and Herrera are vocal and can lead but there's question marks over whether they're starting material. That can't be captain.
Pogba has WC quality and can lead but its only my choice because we don't have an older player with even more suitability for the captaincy- except smalling perhaps.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Club captain will be Smashley Young and Pogba will be Vice captain. Pogba will probably end up wearing the armband more than Young.

Andy_Cole

At one stage in last 15 years, we had a national captain in every position on the field.
VDS Dutch
Evra France
Rio England
Vidic Serbia
OShea Ireland
Giggs Wales
Park S Korea
Carrick N/A
Ronaldo Portugal
Berbatov Bulgaria
Rooney England

Almost! Carrick was the only one. Maybe Rio too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
VDS Dutch
Evra France
Rio England
Vidic Serbia
OShea Ireland
Giggs Wales
Park S Korea
Carrick N/A
Ronaldo Portugal
Berbatov Bulgaria
Rooney England

Almost! Carrick was the only one. Maybe Rio too.
if I'm not wrong, Rio, Vidic, O'Shea, Giggs were never permanent captains of their NTs.

OL29

I was more talking about on the pitch. And I disagree with you that Rooney complained about being played out of position. Never once in his later years was that the case (and I am judging him here in this thread on his Captaining years). RVP, as talismanic as he was, ultimately proved to be the opposite mould. He faked an injury through his last season with us, barely played at all under LVG and then let his Utd career go out with a bit of a whimper. Post-Ferguson I honestly wanted/expected Van Persie to step up and be the leader that everyone in the team needed, especially since in Fergie's last season he was exactly that on the pitch... But alas it never happened. And yes I do believe Rooney was the unlikely candidate who did just that.

Post-Fergie Rooney always put the team first and that was very clear to anyone who watched the games. He did the same at Everton too in his final PL Season. He copped an awful lot of flak at both clubs whilst doing just that too. As for RVP - honestly, I think people forget Rooney was far more integral to Moyes's team too (he was really the only saving grace about anything that season), and that was when Vidic still wore the armband. I will forever love headband Wazza.
Yeah he may not have complained once he was made captain but he certainly did before that. Not sure why you're referencing RVP as I didn't argue he was a better captain.
And yeah post Fergie Rooney was relatively selfless but that was after Moyes basically gave him a free reign and let's be honest, there were numerous times over his career where Rooney put himself before the team, I definitely wouldn't say he was a slave to the team or unselfish in totality.

Even he would disagree with that statement, going from his quotes:

"Everyone at the club knew where I wanted to play and I think that's why I was disappointed. I got told to play in midfield and I didn't want to. I just think there had to come a point when, for my own career, I had to be a bit selfish really."
Link: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/09/wayne-rooney-reasons-leave-manchester-united

I don't really have an issue with Rooney but I guarantee you if certain players in our current squad spoke or behaved like he did, this place would tear them to shreds.