Your captain and vice captain for 19/20 season.

This is slightly off topic, but Matic was told three weeks ago that he will probably be sold and that he should perhaps consider his options. Then, next week, he was told that he is being considered to become captain this season.

The state of the club...
Do you have a link for this?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
This is slightly off topic, but Matic was told three weeks ago that he will probably be sold and that he should perhaps consider his options. Then, next week, he was told that he is being considered to become captain this season.

The state of the club...
I will bet you €100 for charity that you don't have a reliable source for this.

RedNed77

I'd like and expect a clearout, including some players who we may not want to leave such as De Gea & Pogba, so for me the captain and VC need to be players who I still imagine will be here next year and who will feature prominently.

Captain - Lindelof
VC - Smalling

Edit; If ones not playing the other probably will be.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Kinda a situation where you keep young and Smalling or De Gea as the main options until someone steps up to the role. Dont want to give it to Pogba (plus he'll likely leave soon), de Gea full time isnt great if he wants to leave, nobody is safe long term in the team and you dont want to make a backup a full time captain. Think we're a bit of time away for true captain.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Do you have a link for this?
I will bet you €100 for charity that you don't have a reliable source for this.
Serbia is a small country, it is not that difficult to reach anyone...

I work for a big company that also owns one of the biggest Serbian sporting websites. This has been told by Matic personally to their chief journalist; the guy is as reliable as they get.

Of course, it was an "off record" kind of statement, but it was a far more honest statement than you can expect from a player giving an official interview.

roseguy64

The state of the club...
And you're getting info from whom? And he was told by the same person?

laughtersassassin

If Pogba stays him. Yes people hate him but as Ole said he is our leader behind the scenes so just makes sense since he is also our best outfielder.

If he goes no idea. Smalling isn't good enough so shouldn't be playing. Don't like it on a goalkeeper and Dave is playing us as much as anyone. The rest of the team aren't good enough.

Herrera reluctantly but he gone too.

Our only option might be Lindelof Or if we buy someone like Toby or another very good Center back hand it straight to them.

Can't deal with another Ashley Young and Vakencia situation were your worst player is your captain.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Keeper as a captain makes absolutely no sense to me. For me, you need a captain who can talk to the ref. If the keeper is the captain the only time he can talk to the ref is if the play is in your end of the field. Makes no sense. I also want a captain who plays for badge and not the name on the back of the shirt. That takes out Pogba. I also want a captain who is in the starting 11 week in and week out (for the most part). So who does that leave? I'm not sure and I think that's a part of the big problem at United. Nobody stands out as a leader. I was hoping Jones would develop into that player. He bleeds United and gives his all for the club and is at the right age. However, even though I rate him more than most here, he is still only good enough to be an option off the bench or to rotate in. Now my hopes are on Rashford becoming that player. I'm just not sure what kind of influence he has in the dressing room. He seems more like a follower than a leader. Perhaps he can prove me wrong, so for the time being, I am picking Rashford to lead us forward...

StrettyEnder07

De Gea Captain if he stays and I would have Lindelof as Vice Captain.

Pogba, Young, Smalling as some have suggested absolutely nowhere near the captaincy, if Herrera stays then he should be captain but looks as though he is off.

el3mel

I can't even mention 2 names that deserve the armband. No one in the club deserves it.

Iam Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Lindelof for the captain, has leadership qualities and will be at the club for years to come.

Pogba for VC

Last edited by a moderator:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
feck it give it McTominay now. He’s the only fecker who tries

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
It used to be Herrera. But with his contract going out and him heading to PSG, It's obviously not the case.
Pogba if he stays could be captain.
Other than those, I'd consider no one at the club worth it & give it to De Gea.
Hell, we could do with a transfer and someone coming straight into the dressing-room with taking the captaincy.

Beatleswereblue

Anyone who thinks Ashley Young should be the captain of Manchester United should stop watching football instantly

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We really don’t have true leader in this squad. So sad.

Herrera & Young. But Herrera is likely to leave so give it to Pogba, May be he will be more committed if we give him the armband.

Suedesi

I'd give it to De Ligt or Sancho to be honest. They'd be the senior players after we clear out all the deadwod. Ideally.

Brighteyesmoose

Shaw for me. I can see the same with Smalling too. In the future I can certainly see Dalot as being a good candidate. I agree with a few other comments regarding goalkeepers being captains, seems a bit pointless when they aren't situated in the thick of the action.

JMack1234

If he signs a contract i'd have De Gea as captain.

I've no idea about vice captain, just rotate that depending on the line up.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
McTominay probably in terms attitude, effort and consistency.

But he’s still new to first team football, so I imagine the likes of De Gea, Smalling will hold rank.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Some saying Smalling or Young - that would be upsetting but there just aren't many to pick from. Pogba a leader but never know where his head is at.

ants7

Coming up with a satisfying name is really difficult. Doesn't shed a good light on the team. The last player I saw in United team who seemed to have a bit of captain material in him was Herrera. But since he's now going, I don't have a slightest idea.
Young should not be anywhere near our first team and McTominay is way too young and has not earned it in slightest. I could get on board with De Gea as captain (if he stays) but only because he has saved us time and time again and not for exactly being a leader on the pitch. Lindelöf also could get a shout but he's not exactly Vidic nor Rio class of captain either.

Sad.

Dave_Eckles

I would probably say from Pogba, De Gea & Hererra - but they would all come under the 'of they stay' category.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a new signing as one of the captains

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
We need new blood, someone with the fighting spirit of Keane.

I see nobody in the current team who can do that, so time to buy a leader.

Al-T

Can't think of one single player in the current set up with the mindset and strength of character of Keane, Bruce, Vidic, Robson, Cantona, Neville or Buchan. Or even Rooney or Carrick.

It'll probably end up being Phil Jones.