Your captain and vice captain for 19/20 season.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Herrera as captain and De Gea as vice. Maybe Smalling as the latter.

OL29

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If Pogba is willing to commit another 4 yrs, make him captain. If not, Smalling is the obvious choice.

Hopefully Rashford or Shaw will be ready by another 4 yrs.

bushyboy

Goalies are too far away from the action most of the game to be an effective captain, especially a quiet lad like De Gea.

A captain needs to be vocal/motivational, skillful, give 110% every game and also challenge the ref's stupid decisions.

No one fits the bill. Need more leaders in our team, but if Pogba adds consistency to his game he would be my captain (on condition he stops messing with his hair).

Cantonagotmehere

Tough one, but for the best for the team would be Pogba as C with a new contract.

I love Herrera but I am hoping with new signings he will be playing more like 1/2 - 2/3 of games if he re-signs. So I guess he could be Vice. If he does not re-sign I'd hope a defender could step up. I also doubt Smalling will start enough to be a true captain.

USREDEVIL

We don't have a 100% captain currently but it should be someone that is a regular starter, team motivator, and has a relatively level head. For me it's Pogz. I've seen a lot of videos of him trying to rally the troops and he is a sure starter. he might be a bit of a twitter/instagram guy but at the age of these players who isn't? I also think that having this might make mature him a bit, maybe that's putting the cart before the horse but he's the closest we have to a proper captain. Young? I don't want him to be starting games. Herrera? Not a bad choice but he's a bit petulant with fouls. Also Pogba has a lot of gravitas, world cup winner, big player, etc. Give Pogz the band and maybe Shaw as VP (helps that he's English - mates)

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Christ. This is hard.

If Pogba stays and throws out a few comments about how he never wanted to leave and wants to help turn things around here, give it him. If there are still doubts about his future, forget about it.

If it can't be Pogba, replace his name with DDG and the above sentence applies to him also.

After that it'd have to be a new signing because there's absolutely no one who can even dream of wearing it in this team bar the above two.

hobbers

Not a single player in this squad worthy of captaincy, assuming De Gea doesn't renew his contract and Herrera leaves.

At this rate it's going to be between Shaw, Lindelof and Rashford :lol:

Not a single player in this squad worthy of captaincy, assuming De Gea doesn't renew his contract and Herrera leaves.

At this rate it's going to be between Shaw, Lindelof and Rashford :lol:
I honestly think it should be Tuanzebe he captained the youth team and has shown leadership qualities. No one else in this squad deserves it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Captain - Herrera, from Paris
VC - Pogba, from Madrid

It's difficult to pick from our team. Hopefully Ole takes time over pre-season to pick, as while I think the captain's role in football is sometimes in danger of being overestimated it's good to have a designated leader who everyone at the club can look up to.

SER19

New signing as captain.sign a leader, give him the armband and send the message to every player. Get in new direction or leave

neilv93

I honestly think it should be Tuanzebe he captained the youth team and has shown leadership qualities. No one else in this squad deserves it.
He's played five PL games in his career and you think he should be club captain?

EireRed_GS

Herrera and Degea the only ones worthy of wearing the armband.. And ironically the two that might not be here next season. Theres literally no one else thats captain material in that team..

He's played five PL games in his career and you think he should be club captain?
If he has the right character then why not? We need a fresh start, Young has played God knows how many games but was given the armband despite not having leadership qualities.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
100% Ashley Young will be named club captain once Valencia leaves. I'd be amazed if anything else were to happen

As for who actually wears the arm band from week to week I'd imagine you're looking at De Gea or Pogba both equally uninspiring choices tbh

If it were me I'd probably give it to Rashford, ok his form has been shit since the Liverpool game but he at least looks like he cares and who knows it could be the making of him

Jacob

De Gea :lol: Do we want a coward with no command to be captain?

Captaincy isn't that relevant to be honest though, we do not have proper leaders. Herrera is the only one, I'd give VC to Pogba.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Pogba committing to the club as a captain is the obvious and probably correct choice. He is clearly the leader of this group of player, for example, see him calling a huddle after converting the second pen against West Ham to get everyone focussed, or being the one comforting Bailly during the medical treatment on the pitch. Herrera if he stays and commits could be in with a shout. Otherwise, it will be Smalling or possibly Young, but hoping Ole breaks from just making the most senior player the club captain.

El-Manos

Pogba or Smalling. Herrera possibly if he stays. De Gea should not be considered as captain.

AlienVisitorX

I don't see a leader in this team. The closest is actually Young, so he rightfully wears the band for now. And that is a big problem. The kicker is to get this leader, the age requirement must go yet again, which is frowned upon in here. Understandably so, after the horror of past signings. But, there's no way around this, and that should be a priority.

PS: No leader lets himself get carried off the pitch by an opposing player, Herrera.

Last edited:

neilv93

If he has the right character then why not? We need a fresh start, Young has played God knows how many games but was given the armband despite not having leadership qualities.
Because it's far too much pressure and responsibility to place on the shoulders of what is currently a Championship player. Not doubting his potential as a player, nor what his leadership qualities may be, but this is Manchester United not Bristol Rovers (my local team, for reference). The kid is 21 years old, let's give him a run in the team first and gets some games under his belt before we through captaincy notions at him (and before anyone mentions De Ligt captaining Ajax, that's different due to 1. they're his local team, 2. he's clearly an elite player, 3. it was also an attempt to keep him longer).

For what it's worth, my choice would be (if we're replacing Young) Herrera if he stays. Failing that, Pogba/DDG. And if they go too, maybe you're right and we should give it to bloody Tuanzebe because there'll be nobody left!

Enigma_87

You know who
Captain should be a player that is United regular, not some random local lad, who apparently shown qualities in the reserve squad...

I wouldn't be surprised if he's made one, since our club is managed by mentalists...

Born2Lose

Hopefully we'll be looking at buying influential, strong mided players during the summer that can fill both positions. Someone that can add experience and still perform for a year or two like Rakitic would be great.

Otherwise I'd have to go for Fred the Red.

Enigma_87

You know who
Christ. This is hard.

If Pogba stays and throws out a few comments about how he never wanted to leave and wants to help turn things around here, give it him. If there are still doubts about his future, forget about it.

If it can't be Pogba, replace his name with DDG and the above sentence applies to him also.

After that it'd have to be a new signing because there's absolutely no one who can even dream of wearing it in this team bar the above two.
Not a fan of GK captain. Far too away from the action.

Pogba hasn't shown he will do a good job either.

Maybe Shaw from the current crop. Not that he's good choice either, but the options are pretty limited to say at least.

Mainoldo

De Ligt Cpt. Pogba vice. I’m joking about De Light but I really would sell the club to him as the new captain if it would ceil the deal.

Because it's far too much pressure and responsibility to place on the shoulders of what is currently a Championship player. Not doubting his potential as a player, nor what his leadership qualities may be, but this is Manchester United not Bristol Rovers (my local team, for reference). The kid is 21 years old, let's give him a run in the team first and gets some games under his belt before we through captaincy notions at him (and before anyone mentions De Ligt captaining Ajax, that's different due to 1. they're his local team, 2. he's clearly an elite player, 3. it was also an attempt to keep him longer).

For what it's worth, my choice would be (if we're replacing Young) Herrera if he stays. Failing that, Pogba/DDG. And if they go too, maybe you're right and we should give it to bloody Tuanzebe because there'll be nobody left!
Tbh he's doing a very good job with Villa, it will.be interesting to see how he does during the play offs as that will be a lot of pressure.

Herrera would be a good shout but I don't think he's gonna stay, I like Pogba but i dont think he has the right tempermant, De gea acts like he has a locked jaw, Young and the rest aren't good enough. We might as well just buy a new captain tbh.

Mr Chad

Lindelöf captain. Has leadership qualities and I expect him to stay with us for a long time.

VC I'd put Shaw. A good man that'll also stay long.

Snafu17

You can't actually be serious.

Giving a player, who is still on loan in the championship, the armband is one of the most batshit crazy ideas the Caf has ever produced.

neilv93

Tbh he's doing a very good job with Villa, it will.be interesting to see how he does during the play offs as that will be a lot of pressure.

Herrera would be a good shout but I don't think he's gonna stay, I like Pogba but i dont think he has the right tempermant, De gea acts like he has a locked jaw, Young and the rest aren't good enough. We might as well just buy a new captain tbh.
I think we're 2/3 years late with trying to prise De Ligt but Alderweireld seems the obvious one to me. Rice as a long-term option too.

Probably give it to Rashford though.

Steven-UK

Pogba or Smalling. Herrera possibly if he stays. De Gea should not be considered as captain.
Pogba should be getting nowhere near the captaincy of this club, and Christopher Smalling? He should be anywhere near THE club. I heard they call him 'nose-bleed' in the dressing room, due to his medical condition for when he wanders a bit too near to the half way line, or when he doesn't seen an obvious back pass available.

The fact is we don't have any leaders in this team; none that would motivate and lead by consistent example, that's for sure. We need to bring a leader in just like we need to bring a genuine striker in, and other genuine quality player in.

If not, we'll be discussing the exact same problems in 3 years time.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
This is slightly off topic, but Matic was told three weeks ago that he will probably be sold and that he should perhaps consider his options. Then, next week, he was told that he is being considered to become captain this season.

The state of the club...

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
If we manage to keep Herrera then him captain, Rashford vice captain.

If we don't I'd probaly leave young as captain, i'm hoping he doesn't play that much, but sort of leave him as a stop gap and see if anyone steps up next season

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Lindelof as captain. If Pogba stays he can be vice captain.

Honestly, we have no outstanding candidate. However, we have to choose so I go with my picks.

captain666

I think we're 2/3 years late with trying to prise De Ligt but Alderweireld seems the obvious one to me. Rice as a long-term option too.

Probably give it to Rashford though.

Seems that de Ligt's transfer is not cast in stone yet,we should really go all out to stop him moving to Liverpool!

Allie00786

If we keep Herrera, he should be made captain with Lindelof as our vice captain.

If Herrera goes then Lindelof as captain and because of the uncertainty of who will still be at the club, not sure who else can be vice captain but i suppose Smalling will probably still be there and is amongst the senior guys who would be a decent stand in captain.

Not a fan of Pogba being captain. Pogba should just be a player if he stays and is not quite a leader at the moment.