Mata Sanchez Martial​

Andersons Dietician

DDG
Bailly Smalling Axel
Darmian Pereira Shaw
Herrera MC T
Mata/Martial
Sanchez
Either be Mata in behind Sanchez or if Martial is playing, he’ll be up top. Depends if Jose will allow him to play or if he is down with him.

BulgarianDevil91

And some people are moaning we finished 2nd last season, just look at this team :lol: Darmian and Shaw would struggle to get into Watford XI while McTominay is a championship level player at best.
I would disagree on McTominay. The lad had some good games last year, especially vs Chelsea iirc.

Alabaster Codify7

Top clubs have selection headaches. In-form, good players having to sit on the bench because there are even better players, in better form, at the club.

Manchester United FC have not had this luxury for many, many years. Our 11 picks itself for the most part because the alternatives are stinking.

-----------------------DDG----------------------
------Bailly---------Smalling------NEW CB-----
Young----------------------------------------Shaw
------------Matic------Herrera---------Pogba-----
--------------Lukaku------------Sanchez----------

DanAn

Initially I think a 4-4-2 diamond:

--------------------------------------------DDG---------------------------------------------
Darmian-------------------Jones---------------------Bailly---------------------------Shaw
---------------------------------------------Fred--------------------------------------------
---------------------Pereira-------------------------------------Herrara--------------------
---------------------------------------------Mata--------------------------------------------
-----------------------------Sanchez---------------Martial----------------------------------

When fit the following changes:

--------------------------------------------DDG-------------------------------------------
Valencia-------------------New CB--------------------Bailly------------------------Young
--------------------------------------------Matic--------------------------------------------
---------------------Fred-------------------------------------Pogba-------------------------
---------------------------------------------Sachez------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------Lukaku---------------Rashford---------------------------

I know he hasn't been playing 4-4-2 diamond but I think Jose is just trying to get through games at the minute. There are no forwards to execute what he wants to do which I think is getting him frustrated.

space

DDG
Fosu Smalling Bailly Shaw
Fred Herrera
Pereira
Mata Martial Sanchez​

68Guns

DDG
Fred Herrera
Pereira
Mata Martial Sanchez​
Herera is garbage and wouldn't get in my local ladies pub team! We need some grit and muscle in midfield, too many powder puffs strutting about counting their money but NOT earning it!
DDG, Pogba, Lukaku, Matic, Valencia, Lingard must be certs or we will struggle. Rat face Vardy to score for sure.

RedOldBoy

---------------------------------------------------DDG----------------------------------------------------
---------Valencia----------------Bailly----------------------Lindelof--------------------------------Young

----------------------------------Fred----------------------Herrera----------------------------------------

---------Mata-------------------------------Lingard/Pereira-------------------------------------------Sanchez

--------------------------------------------Lukaku------------------------------------------------------

Provided we don't sign any other player

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
DDG

Darmian
Bailly
Smalling
Shaw

Herrera
Pereira
Fred

Mata
Sanchez
Rashford

Assuming there are no more transfers. If there are...

DDG

TFM
Alderweirald
Bailly
Sandro

Herrera
Fred
Pereira

Willian
Sanchez
Rashford

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
DDG
Fosu-Mensah Smalling Bailey Shaw
Fred Herrera Pereira
Mata Martial Sanchez

*if fit:
- Valencia for Fosu-Mensah
- Matic for any midfielder, depending on the rest of pre-season

lysglimt

Scout
(3-5-2) De Gea - Bailly, Smalling, Jones - Shaw, Herrera, Pereira, Mata, Darmian - Sanchez, Martial

I now assume none of the other world cup players are fit - and Valencia / Matic are both still injured

andycolegangstainnit

Matic is now injured. So my starting Xi for Leicester is:
DDG, Valencia, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw
McTominay Herrera Pereira
Mata Martial Sanchez
when everyone fit:
DDG Dalot Bailly Lindelof Shaw
Fred Matic Pogba
Lingard Lukaku Sanchez

Robindinho

De Gea

Herrera Pereira Fred

Mata Martial Alexis

Assuming we don’t sign anyone.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
Lukaku should start... even with one leg, his presence is vital, i can't believe what some people last season said about him, it's clear as feck that without Lukaku upfront this United team with Mourinho's style can't work without a player like Lukaku upfront, not only that but given how amazing he was at the World cup i couldn't care less even if he had 0 training sessions as of right now just start him..

Todd

Am I missing something here? So many people leaving Pogba and Lukaku out...

They will have had around a month from the end of the World Cup until opening match, right? Barring injury, which as far as I know neither of them have, no professional athlete has an excuse not to be ready for that.

JoaquinJoaquin

The fact McTominay is probably going to start shows what a failure our Summer has been.

JoaquinJoaquin

They will have had around a month from the end of the World Cup until opening match, right? Barring injury, which as far as I know neither of them have, no professional athlete has an excuse not to be ready for that.
Both are still partying in the US. Neither will be game ready in 2 weeks, and that's if they are even due back this week.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

In a summer without a world cup/euro's the players get approx 6 weeks off. Plus they'll need time to get their fitness levels back up.

NotQuiteManc

DDG​

Bailly Smalling Tuanzebe
Darmian...........................Shaw
Pereira
Herrera Fred

Mata
Sanchez​

Last edited:

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
The fact McTominay is probably going to start shows what a failure our Summer has been.
He isn't, or at least i hope not, he's been kinda bad in this preseason so apart from the fact that Jose loves him which i hope is not enough he really doesn't deserve a start as of now.

JoaquinJoaquin

He isn't, or at least i hope not, he's been kinda bad in this preseason so apart from the fact that Jose loves him which i hope is not enough he really doesn't deserve a start as of now.
I honestly think he will start. As much as I don't rate him and how well Andreas has played in pre-season, Jose loves McTominay for some odd reason so he will start.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
If Darmian is starting this game someone needs to be shot.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Who else is going to play RB with Valencia and Dalot out and Young not back in training yet?
I don’t know. I just know Ed Woodward would be an upgrade at right back.

He needs to be sold. It should be a priority. He’s been worse than any youngster in preseason.

MadMike

DDG​

Bailly Smalling Tuanzebe
Darmian Shaw
Pereira
Herrera Fred

Mata
Sanchez​
Why would we play 3 at the back against Leicester at home though? We only rarely play 3 at the back and it's usually reserved for away games against the top 6.

NotQuiteManc

Why would we play 3 at the back against Leicester at home though? We only rarely play 3 at the back and it's usually reserved for away games against the top 6.
I think its more of the system of United rather than the formation. I think United should try and pick a consistent formation but tweak the tactics depending on the opponents. Either Bailly or Tuanzebe can move towards the DM position so Pereira can move further up a bit to help the attack. I mean, Spurs maintained their favourite 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1, whatever that may be, throughout of last season.

MadMike

Probably Fosu-Mensah
I think we've only seen him as a CB in the tour and generally I don't really rate him any higher as RB compared to Darmian. Both are not of the level required but I think Darmian looks marginally more reliable in terms of keeping the shape and playing down the line like a RB.

Plus I think Mourinho wants to put him on the shop window to sell, hence the armband and praising him after every match etc. So I reckon he will play in the absence of Valencia.

I don’t know. I just know Ed Woodward would be an upgrade at right back.

He needs to be sold. It should be a priority. He’s been worse than any youngster in preseason.
Don't be ridiculous. Aye, he's shit. But we don't have anyone available from the youth that is ready for that role. Mitchell stepped into the LB position (albeit he's not a natural there) and he was a constant liability against Liverpool.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Don't be ridiculous. Aye, he's shit. But we don't have anyone available from the youth that is ready for that role. Mitchell stepped into the LB position (albeit he's not a natural there) and he was a constant liability against Liverpool.
It isn't ridiculous at all. Fosu Mensah is shit and still manages to be a huge upgrade. Darmian is the worst full back in the league bar none. Offers nothing in attack and manages to offer less defensively. Darmian was an equal liability vs Liverpool without any such excuse. He cannot be starting. He should be released.