Your Manchester United Formation

Dr Baltar

This makes us the most frightening team in the league again by some distance:

de gea​
Rafael - Evans - Rojo - Shaw
Herrera - di Maria
Mata​
RVP-Falcao-Rooney
Rafael & Shaw can provide the width or Valencia, Blind, or Rojo can play full back if we're more cautious. Herrera can sit a little deeper & Blind/Carrick can come into the midfield for Mata when we need to be a bit more cautious.

NJM78

------De Gea

Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw

-----Herrera Blind

--Rooney Mata Di Maria

------- Falcao

Rooney can alternate with Mata and Januzaj can come in on the right at the expense of one of them.
I think if Falcao is fit he starts. Best finisher in the world for me. Both feet, close from distance with his head, complete package. Lets hope he is still the same player pre injury although two goals in three games for Monaco so far this season bodes well.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
------De Gea

Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw

-----Herrera Blind

--Rooney Mata Di Maria

------- Falcao

Rooney can alternate with Mata and Januzaj can come in on the right at the expense of one of them.
I think if Falcao is fit he starts. Best finisher in the world for me. Both feet, close from distance with his head, complete package. Lets hope he is still the same player pre injury although two goals in three games for Monaco so far this season bodes well.
Out of interest why would you not line up those players with Di Maria on the left of Blind to make a midfield three, with Rooney up top next to Falcao?

That would be their best positions.

ShinjiNinja26

DDG
Rafael ---- Evans ---- Rojo ---- Shaw
Herrera ------- Blind
Mata
Rooney ---- Falcao ---- Di Maria

or

DDG
Rafael ---- Jones ---- Rojo ---- Shaw
Herrera ---- Blind ---- Di Maria
Januzaj ---- RVP ----- Rooney

or

DDG
Rafael ---- Jones ---- Rojo ---- Shaw
Blind
Herrera ----------- Di Maria
Rooney
v.Persie ------------ Falcao

soapythecat

de gea​
Herrera - di Maria
Mata​
RVP-Falcao-Rooney​
Rafael & Shaw can provide the width or Valencia, Blind, or Rojo can play full back if we're more cautious. Herrera can sit a little deeper & Blind/Carrick can come into the midfield for Mata when we need to be a bit more cautious.
Calm down mate. 4 of those players have a combined PL experience of about 60 minutes. That defense will get found out by a good side.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Based on the players in their absolute best form:

De Gea
Rafael - Jones - Evans - Shaw
Carrick - Herrera
Januzaj - Mata - Di Maria
van Persie
How I expect us to line up over the next few weeks:

De Gea
Jones - Evans - Rojo
Valencia------Blind-------Shaw
Hererra -- Di Maria
Rooney
Falcao/van Persie

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Its mostly to have the option if we do want to go defensive basically. Ok its not ideal against teams playing 10 cb's
but it would be a nice option against chelsea or city or whatever.
And personally i dont think squeezing loads of attacking players into the team will help us all that much.
Basically a front 4 of Falcao, Rooney, Di Maria and Hererra is good enough imo to get plenty of goals and i'd value
the extra midfield control and defensive solidity ahead of squeezing an extra striker in which i think will probably
unbalance us.

I'd basically be looking to use januzaj to switch to 4-3-3.
I wouldn't do it that often, hes young and all that. Maybe next season. This season he'd be cover and if i wanted to swap things up.
Agreed.

de gea​
Herrera - di Maria
Mata​
RVP-Falcao-Rooney​
Unless there is 5 minutes left and we are losing by 2 goals, no chance we will play like that.

NJM78

Out of interest why would you not line up those players with Di Maria on the left of Blind to make a midfield three, with Rooney up top next to Falcao?

That would be their best positions.
I know LvG says Rooney is a 'striker' I just feel he does better much deeper. Falcao played his best football up top alone being fed from the flanks or through the middle. I personally don't think Rooney makes a good strike partner as such because he will always drop very deep which is understandable as his long range passing is a hell of a lot better than his short game, he just seems so much more comfortable not having to stay up top.
As for Di Maria I would have played him in a midfield three had we not signed Falcao, now though I would play him slightly further but not as an out and out winger but as a play maker. Mata will be less isolated for me and his game would improve, always thought in those rare games when Mata and Kagawa played together they both looked happier with a player close to them on the same wave length. Just my thoughts though.

Silverman

Rooney and Van Persie on the bench. Falcao provides the goals. Di Maria and Januzaj provides the pace, workrate and technique and Mata provides the creativity.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I know LvG says Rooney is a 'striker' I just feel he does better much deeper. Falcao played his best football up top alone being fed from the flanks or through the middle. I personally don't think Rooney makes a good strike partner as such because he will always drop very deep which is understandable as his long range passing is a hell of a lot better than his short game, he just seems so much more comfortable not having to stay up top.

As for Di Maria I would have played him in a midfield three had we not signed Falcao, now though I would play him slightly further but not as an out and out winger but as a play maker. Mata will be less isolated for me and his game would improve, always thought in those rare games when Mata and Kagawa played together they both looked happier with a player close to them on the same wave length. Just my thoughts though.
Couldn't disagree more. You admit Rooney short passing is weak, yet you think he is better in deeper role? His long range passing would be useful in midfield if that’s what you meant.

Rooney drops deep because we can’t get the ball to him, but if we can solve our midfield problems and move the ball quicker to our attackers this won’t be that much of an issue.

IMO Rooney is a pure striker now, his all round game is a bit meh and he isn’t that quick anymore. I would’ve played him on the left as winger/striker. He would contribute in defense too in that position.

I don’t think you should refer to Di Maria as a playmaker. His job is different, he is excellent in moving with the ball from deep positions, but he doesn’t have playmaker mindset. If he sees a channel, he will run it. Not sure how much have you seen of Di Maria last season, but he was not a playmaker in that sense as I understand it.

This could be even better for Mata, but they won’t be like Kagawa- Mata partnership we’ve seen.

Keenst

Rooney and Van Persie on the bench. Falcao provides the goals. Di Maria and Januzaj provides the pace, workrate and technique and Mata provides the creativity.
Do you really think Van Gaal is about to bench his newly appointed club captain?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
---------------------------De Gea------------------------
Rafael--------Jones--------Evans--------Rojo
-----------------Carrick--------Herrera--------------
Rooney-----------------Mata-----------Di Maria
----------------------------Falcao------------------------

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Fair enough mate, nothing wrong with your line up I was just curious.

For me the diamond is such a fantastic fit with our players that I've got the blinkers on, nothing else makes sense!

Gets the best out of every one of our top players - Rooney, Van Persie, Herrera, Di Maria, Falcao - and covers up the weaker areas of the team. It's such a perfect fit IMO.

With Di Maria I think after spending all of that money signing him then we would be making a mistake to play him out wide again. Centrally in that hybrid midfield role he's the best in the world right now but as a winger I always found him frustrating.

Ralph1386

I like this:

--------------------DDG
Rafael ---- Evans ---- Rojo ---- Shaw
----------Herrera ------- Blind
----------------Mata
Rooney ---- Falcao ---- Di Maria

Sam

HAS to be 4-3-3 from now on...

--------------------DDG-----------------------

Rafa ----- Jones/Evans/Smalling/Rojo* ----- Shaw

--------------------Blind------------------------
-----------Herrera-----------Di Maria-------------

---------------------Mata------------------------
----------Falcao-----------Rooney/RVP------------

* Haven't got a clue which 2 centre backs will be first choice tbh

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Probably not but I don't think Rooney should have been given the captaincy.
Rooney hasn't done anything this season to deserve being in the starting lineup let alone be the captain. His first touch right now is the worst I've seen in years and Rooney has had his low spells in the past with us. van Gaal isn't a coach to play someone because of his title or his name, he dropped Rivaldo when he was considered to be the best player in the world.

I really want us to stop with this fit all your best players in 1 lineup thing we're doing right now, we should go for a balanced XI.

De Gea
Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
Blind Herrera
Mata
Di Maria Falcao Januzaj

Silverman

Rooney hasn't done anything this season to deserve being in the starting lineup let alone be the captain. His first touch right now is the worst I've seen in years and Rooney has had his low spells in the past with us. van Gaal isn't a coach to play someone because of his title or his name, he dropped Rivaldo when he was considered to be the best player in the world.

I really want us to stop with this fit all your best players in 1 lineup thing we're doing right now, we should go for a balanced XI.

De Gea
Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
Blind Herrera
Mata
Di Maria Falcao Januzaj
Exactly, that is the team I would like to see. This isn't a personal attack on Rooney because I am a massive fan of Van Persie's but he hasn't done anything to warrat starting either. I also think we were missing Januzaj's pace and trickery in the first three games.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
If everyone is fit (which I shouldn't think will ever happen) then I think this is the only way you can crowbar all the best players into the 352:

..........................DDG........................

..........Blind.........Rojo.........Shaw........

Januzaj.....Hererra....Mata........Di Maria

......................Rooney......................

................RVP........Falcao................

At least all of those players are good passers of the ball. We have better defenders on the bench but I don't trust any of them in a possession based system, with the exception of Rafael.

NJM78

This from Mark Bright.....:wenger:

Rafael as a centre back, no Falcao wtf!?
Valencia and Fletcher for me are not first teamers when everyone is fit.
I know our back three has been pretty poor and Evans in particular dreadful but to drop all 4 who have played there is a bit harsh. Only thing I agree with. No Young.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If everyone is fit (which I shouldn't think will ever happen) then I think this is the only way you can crowbar all the best players into the 352:

..........................DDG........................

..........Blind.........Rojo.........Shaw........

Januzaaj.....Hererra....Mata........Di Maria

......................Rooney......................

................RVP........Falcao................

At least all of those players are good passers of the ball. We have better defenders on the bench but I don't trust any of them in a possession based system, with the exception of Rafael.
This formation is shocking.

Mata as CM
Januzaj and Di Maria as wingbacks
Blind and Shaw as CB's

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would consider all of those players too high-profile and expensive to drop, how else can you get all of them in a 352?
Since it's your formation, you don't have any restriction, therefore the value of the player and the system aren't forced on you.
You don't have to shoehorn anyone, Rooney,RVP or Mata won't barge in your office.

Last edited:

Rudie

Mentary

De Gea
Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
Blind Herrera
Mata
Di Maria Falcao Januzaj
Exactly, that is the team I would like to see. This isn't a personal attack on Rooney because I am a massive fan of Van Persie's but he hasn't done anything to warrat starting either. I also think we were missing Januzaj's pace and trickery in the first three games.
I'd go with this too, would love to see it.

JUPITER

My United formation is a 3-2-3-2

---------------------DDG-------------------
Rafael--------------Jones-------------Rojo
---------Herrera------------Blind----------
Valencia-----------Mata----------Di Maria
----------Rooney---------Falcao-----------

Subs:

Lindegaard
Shaw (for Rojo)
Evans (for Rojo or Shaw)
Carrick (for Herrera or Blind)
Fletcher (for Herrera or Blind)
Januzaj (for Di Maria or Mata)
Van Persie (for Rooney or Falcao)

I would have Rooney, Falcao and RvP alternating as starters based on form (competing for their place in the team!). Same with Carrick and Herrera. Januzaj and Mata I would also rotate based on form.

The reason Valencia is included is to shore up on the right, I'd put more impetus on Rafael over-lapping and getting forward than Valencia.

Blind would stay in the team as a constant bridge between defence, midfield and attack. Whoever was rotating would know that Blind will be there.

Oh, and Jones would be my captain.

NJM78

Fair enough mate, nothing wrong with your line up I was just curious.

For me the diamond is such a fantastic fit with our players that I've got the blinkers on, nothing else makes sense!

Gets the best out of every one of our top players - Rooney, Van Persie, Herrera, Di Maria, Falcao - and covers up the weaker areas of the team. It's such a perfect fit IMO.

With Di Maria I think after spending all of that money signing him then we would be making a mistake to play him out wide again. Centrally in that hybrid midfield role he's the best in the world right now but as a winger I always found him frustrating.
I agree I don't like Di Maria as an out and out winger. Feel centrally he is much more effective.

I think he can do it deep and further forward just as good. Herrera is fantastic at turning on receiving a pass, he is always looking forward. In my formation he has three options to pass the ball and link play quickly and decisively. Mata is getting a lot of stick this season because even though he prefers the lone 10 role, he needs players around him just like he had at Chelsea, he is currently finding it to difficult as Rooney drifts everywhere and van Persie offers no real pace or movement so far (possibly due to his fitness) so he has been looking for the long ball which is not really his game.
He likes to give the ball quick as he has no real pace to get away from anyone. Thats the main reason I would play three behind the striker to get the best out of all three of them. Full backs then providing the real width.

With the talent we now have I just hope LvG reverts to four at the back.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Throw away the modern book and get back to the classic WM

- Blind and Jones give us the flex to move between DM and Defence on the run. Blind/Rojo can cover for each other in switching between offence and defence. Same with Rafael/Jones on the other win.
- Di Maria and Herrera to work the midfield link with Rooney (or maybe Mata) shuttling between the lines adding support where needed.
- Falcao and RvP are as lethal as they come.

If you need more midfielders, drop a forward for Januzaj.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Januzaj - Mata - Di Maria
Falcao

If we are completely honest, this front 4 would work best. It's devastating.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
We're all going formation mad here.

End of the day, there is no formation that fits ADM, rooney, rvp, falcao and mata in.one of them will have to be benched.

My hope is rooney, my fear is mata.

Also, why. Do people think our signings make 352 less likely? As a front 3 of roo (or mata)/rvp/falcao is the same whether its a 352 or 4321 or 442 diamond.