Your Rebuild

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
Why do a lot of people think that Fabio should be cover for Rafael?
Fergie didnt rate him, he got very little game time at QPR ffs, and now Moyes doesnt seem keen on him............ simple get shot.
He is not good enough.

I would get rid of Anderson, Fabio, Macheda and Bebe (not sure why they are still here) Giggs will retire at the end of the season and Buttner.
With the emergence of Januzaj there has to be question marks over the future of all the other wingers, none of them have been conssistant enough (injuries have played a part).
At CB Ferdinand and Vidic are past there best, Evans is decent but will never be as good as they were. Smalling and Jones are still bit players.
Cant ever see Rooney, RVP, Kagawa and Januzaj in the same team so something will have to give there. Kagawa needs to play through the middle or not at all.

Short term i think we need a full back who can play both sides, a CM who can keep possession and a wide player.
Long term i think Moyes has a big job on his hands, is he up to it?

Blue always red

Not only was he left with a squad that was rough around the edges, the club couldn't even provide a proper mouse-mat.

Bloody Glazers.

And then they have the audacity to provide him with wireless equipment, never assuming that the batteries might run out at a critical moment! What if he had an email prepared to send to Alcantara's agent, but the mouse died when he needed to press send?

Absolute piss take at how small-club the mentality of the Glazers is. You wouldn't catch this stuff happening down at City...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How do we get from where we are now, to City's level?
Buy 2 new central midfielders to get to their level, 1 quality winger and we have the best team and squad in the league IMO. Only if we get the right players of course, it doesn't even have to be unrealistic options like Vidal or something.

Glanville95

Buy 2 new central midfielders to get to their level, 1 quality winger and we have the best team and squad in the league IMO. Only if we get the right players of course, it doesn't even have to be unrealistic options like Vidal or something.
It's easier said than done when you put it like that. But would we still be capable of playing as well as an attacking unit under Moyes, as City do under Pellegrini? I'm not so sure.

They have a distinct footballing philosophy that they adhere to and play progressive football. Under Moyes we haven't seen any ominous signs at all since he's took over, if anything we've slightly regressed.

I don't think it's as simple as saying 'signing player x' will bring us to their level. Two quality central midfielders would go a long way into setting us into the right path, but I still would be slightly surprised if we reached City's level.

bosnian_red

It's easier said than done when you put it like that. But would we still be capable of playing as well as an attacking unit under Moyes, as City do under Pellegrini? I'm not so sure.

They have a distinct footballing philosophy that they adhere to and play progressive football. Under Moyes we haven't seen any ominous signs at all since he's took over, if anything we've slightly regressed.

I don't think it's as simple as saying 'signing player x' will bring us to their level. Two quality central midfielders would go a long way into setting us into the right path, but I still would be slightly surprised if we reached City's level.
Yeah I try not to bring Moyes into the equation here (as most here probably know where I stand on him and the doubts I have with him), I'm saying just squad and first 11 wise, 2 first choice central midfielders would get us to their level. Our front line of attackers is on par with theirs although this season just aren't performing as well. Wingers we're a bit worse off but I think they'd all play better with a quality midfield behind them supporting them, because the talent is there for Januzaj, Nani and Kagawa. Defence wise we're pretty similar to them all over, and obviously De Gea is much better then Hart.

Nickosaur

Football Manager thread. :lol:

We might potentially have numbers 3,5,7,8,9,10 and 11 free next season.

Now if that doesn't scream "rebuilding" I don't know what is.

3 - Shaw/Coentrao
5 - Mangala
7 - Januzaj
8 - Gundogan
9 - Welbeck
10 - Rooney
11 - Reus

Koke can have a kooky number like 33 or 99.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
How do we get from where we are now, to City's level?

Sell all of our best players and play second fiddle to them, winning nothing of note for about 40 years. Once we've done that (and become suitably bitter and small time in the process) we attempt to get ourselves purchased by a decidedly dodgy customer and make some over-priced, useless signings and probably kit ourselves out with a shite manager to boot. Once that's done with we need to enter and win the "owner lottery" and get purchased by Arabian (Emirati or otherwise) royalty so we can be used as a big advert for their country. Couple this with several obviously farcical sponsorship deals and cash injections then proceed to offer ludicrous wages to tempt proper players to our previously joke of a club.

Easy.

RooneyLegend

First things first,
Manager out: Moyes
Manager in: Pochettino

Keepers
No changes

Center backs
Out: Ferdinand
In Mangala
Mangala, Evans, Jones, smalling, vidic

Fullbacks
Out: buttner,
In: Alex Sandro
Alex Sandro, Rafael, evra, fabio

Center mids
Out: ando, cleverley,
In: Kovacic, Mvilla
Kovacic, M'villa, carrick, fletcher, Kagawa

Wingers
Out: Valencia, Young
In: Muniain
Muniain, Januzaj, Nani, Zaha,

Strikers
Out Hernandez
In Muriel
Rooney, RVP, Welbeck, Muriel

Loon

:lol:
The last thing I would do is a "Souness" -- attempting emergency surgery overnight. It'll take time. I would look for a quality MF to begin with (duh!). I really think a top player in the middle of the park would make all the difference and grant time to make the few changes required.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why do a lot of people think that Fabio should be cover for Rafael?
Fergie didnt rate him, he got very little game time at QPR ffs, and now Moyes doesnt seem keen on him............ simple get shot.
He is not good enough.
Eh? Fergie rated him highly enough to start him in a CL final against the best team in the world. He was one of our best players on the night, too.

Deserves more chances to show what he can do, IMO.

Jayvin

De Gea​
Rafael - Jones - Evans - Coentrao
Carrick - Marchisio
Januzaj - Rooney - Draxler
Van Persie​
I'd be wanking furiously 24/7 if this was our team. We'll never sign Marchisio or Draxler, though. :(

Plugsy

Eh? Fergie rated him highly enough to start him in a CL final against the best team in the world. He was one of our best players on the night, too.

Players change. Just because you were good enough two or three years ago doesn't mean you are now. He didn't have a great loan spell at QPR.

bosnian_red

Players change. Just because you were good enough two or three years ago doesn't mean you are now. He didn't have a great loan spell at QPR.
So you really think that in 2 in a half seasons, which included 1 decent spell at QPR, that he declined so much that he's worse then Smalling, Jones, or Valencia at right back, or worse then Buttner at left back? The only reason he's not getting games IMO is because he's not extending his contract but he's definitely good enough to be cover for Rafael. It's not like he completely stopped doing anything for 2 years and got so much worse in 2 and a half years that he went from being our first choice right back and impressing in a champions league final against Barcelona, to plain shit. There's next to no chance that that's what happened.

Plugsy

So you really think that in 2 in a half seasons, which included 1 decent spell at QPR, that he declined so much that he's worse then Smalling, Jones, or Valencia at right back, or worse then Buttner at left back? The only reason he's not getting games IMO is because he's not extending his contract but he's definitely good enough to be cover for Rafael. It's not like he completely stopped doing anything for 2 years and got so much worse in 2 and a half years that he went from being our first choice right back and impressing in a champions league final against Barcelona, to plain shit. There's next to no chance that that's what happened.

The people who see him every day in training think so. Players don't fall down the pecking order for no reason. There isn't an administrative error or someone's broken the 'F' on the keyboard so he can't be on the team sheet. He's probably not getting the chances for reasons that are a bit stronger than "well he played against Barcelona"

Jayvin

QPR were a shambles last season, if it were Rafael who went on loan there instead of Fabio I don't think he would've fared much better.

bosnian_red

The people who see him every day in training think so. Players don't fall down the pecking order for no reason. There isn't an administrative error or someone's broken the 'F' on the keyboard so he can't be on the team sheet. He's probably not getting the chances for reasons that are a bit stronger than "well he played against Barcelona"
I think the likeliest scenario is that Moyes likes having a left footed player as left back (understandable) and for right back cover, Fabio probably told him he's not extending his contract so Moyes must think what's the point in giving him games then if he doesn't want to stay. Considering I think Fergie said that both Fabio and Rafael are fantastic in training and some of our hardest workers in training, I doubt he's making Valencia and Smalling look like better options there.

Jayvin

He's probably not getting the chances for reasons that are a bit stronger than "well he played against Barcelona"

The only reason I mentioned the CL final was to show that Fergie quite obviously DID rate him. It's ludicrous to suggest otherwise. You don't start in a CL final against Barca if the manager thinks you're shit...

Kag

These threads are always fun. If I was ruthless, and in this case I'm going to be, I would offload a fair few of the squad, albeit I wouldn't bring in too many replacements. Our bloated, too-often-rotated squad has been too big for a long time now.

The squad I'd love to see:

GK: De Gea, Lindegaard, Johnstone

RB: Rafael, Fabio

CB: Vidic, Evans, Smalling, Jones

LB: Coentrao, Shaw

CM: Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini, Gundogan, Koke

WF: Nani, Valencia, Kagawa, Januzaj, Reus

ST: Van Persie, Rooney, Welbeck

If I had my way, we'd go into next season with all of these players as first team players. I wouldn't flinch if Valencia were sold, however, if he were to play his part as a versatile, reliable squad man then I think he still has something to offer us, particularly if Moyes and the coaching staff can work out how to get us playing a more sophisticated brand of football.

Ferdinand, Evra, Anderson, Young and Buttner should all be moved on without a moment's hesitation. Rio and Pat would go with massive thank you's, of course. Anderson with a big hug. Young and Buttner out of a catapult.

Zaha, the Keane brothers, Henriquez and Powell would all be sent out on loan. Any remaining players aged 21 or over would be let go.

This is where I would get particularly ruthless. I'm a fan of Cleverley. I've supported him for a long time. I appreciate his pass and move qualities and the fact that he can be a very good squad player. Unfortunately, we ideally need two top quality central midfielders. Carrick and Fletcher are better, with their obvious experience too. Fellaini needs time, plus he's more of an influence. 6 players is too much for two spots. 5 quality players fighting it out for two spots is what we should be looking at, particularly when you consider that all of Rooney, Kagawa and Adnan can flourish in the role ahead of them. Sadly, I'd let Tom go and really allow ourselves the squad space and opportunity to transform the midfield.

Then there's Hernandez. Obviously, if he wanted to stay then great. However, he will never, ever be good enough to start games here with any consistency. His lack of versatility is an issue, as is his general all round play. He's a great goalscorer, but few clubs have 3-4 players fighting it out for the lone striker role, and for good reason. We have enough depth there as it is, particularly when you consider we still have the likes of Henriquez, Keane and the emerging Wilson on the books. I'd let him go and use the money to fund our purchases.

My signings are out of dream land. However, I do think they are the kind of signings we should be making if we harbour any hope of getting back to the summit of the game. My squad of 24 up there is the route we should be headed. Take note, David. :devil:

No11

Supports
Aberdeen

Did rate him, as you said yourself. He has played 23 times for United in 5 years and his spell at QPR was nothing special. Good players will stand out in a shite team.
If SAF rated him he would have played him more and he would have had no need to sign Buttner.

mubarak

Lennie Godber
IN
Fabio Coentrao / Luke Shaw
Ezequiel Garay
Ilkay Gundogan
Koke
Marco Reus

OUT
Ryan Giggs
Oliveira Anderson
Luis Nani
Antonio Valencia
Patrice Evra
Rio Ferdinand
Shinji Kagawa
Fabio da Silva / Alexander Buttner
Anders Lindegaard
Federico Macheda
Bebe

Squad for next season

GK David de Gea
GK Ben Amos
GK Sam Johnstone

DEF Fabio Coentrao / Luke Shaw
DEF Rafael da Silva
DEF Fabio da Silva / Alexander Buttner
DEF Nemanja Vidic
DEF Phil Jones
DEF Jonny Evans
DEF Chris Smalling
DEF Ezequiel Garay
DEF Michael Keane / Guillermo Varela

MID + WIDE Michael Carrick
MID + WIDE Tom Cleverley
MID + WIDE Marouane Fellaini
MID + WIDE Ilkay Gundogan
MID + WIDE Koke
MID + WIDE Adnan Januzaj
MID + WIDE Nick Powell
MID + WIDE Ashley Young / Jesse Lingard
MID + WIDE Marco Reus
MID + WIDE Darren Fletcher
MID + WIDE Wilfried Zaha

FWD Wayne Rooney
FWD Robin van Persie
FWD Danny Welbeck
FWD Javier Hernandez / Angelo Henriquez

Red_Aaron

a large part of the rebuild will revolve around what system or style we're going to use. I'm hoping we see a new formation and approach next year. 442 with width is very much our traditional approach but if we're going to make a fresh start following SAFs departure I think a leap in the playing style would do us good.

anyways, personnel wise i'd keep Vida if he wants to stay, vastly experienced and still has a couple of seasons in him even just as a presence he can have a big affect on the back line. Chico sadly isn't good enough imo, he's a cracking lad and i'll miss him but he should find a club where he can play every week. Moyes seems intent on bringing in a first choice left back which leads me to believe Evras off, another shame as he's a great character to have in the squad. Midfield needs a big overhaul especially if we do change our set up

Keeper: DDG, AL
CB:Vidic, Evans, Jones, Smalling,
Fullback: Rafa
Midfield: Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini, Nani, Valencia, Januzaj
Striker: RVP, Rooney, Welbeck

16 players so big investment needed. 1 CB, 2 FB, 5 MF, 1 ST
keane deserves a place in the squad next year he's impressed on loan. in midfield we need at least 2 central players possibly 3 and the widemen need to be goal scorers capable of playing in a front 3. Up top a sub for the main men who could give us a bit of a different option or should one of Roo or RVP leave i'd go full muppet and get me some Zlatan :drool:

RednProud

Some basic questions:

Why are we looking a LBs when we have 2, but not at RB's when we have 1 who is good going forward but gets found out in defence and is hot headed.

Why are so many people writing Valencia off. He was one of the players of the year last season and is our best winger this season (yes I know Adnan has been a revelation but he hasn't started that many games yet).

Why are we looking at players like Baines rather than Shaw. A couple of seasons back Fergie announced that we wouldn't be spending mony on players over 25!

Kag

Some basic questions:

Why are we looking a LBs when we have 2, but not at RB's when we have 1 who is good going forward but gets found out in defence and is hot headed.

Why are so many people writing Valencia off. He was one of the players of the year last season and is our best winger this season (yes I know Adnan has been a revelation but he hasn't started that many games yet).

Why are we looking at players like Baines rather than Shaw. A couple of seasons back Fergie announced that we wouldn't be spending mony on players over 25!
Are you from 2011? Our right back "gets found out in defence" - does he feck - and "Valencia was one of our best players last season." No, he wasn't. I'd keep Valencia, for what it's worth, and work on his defending in the hope he can be some kind of versatile handyman for the right hand side, but he's been awful on the wing for nearly two full seasons now.

We need two left backs because one is leaving and the other is a clown. Nobody even wants Baines.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Just thought I'd bump this thread and add my opinion to it. I know it's Football Manager-ish but I find it fun and I'm sure other people do too.

Out: Young, Evra, Fabio, Ferdinand, Giggs, Macheda, Bebe.

Out on loan: Zaha

In:

LB - Shaw or Coentrao
CB - Mangala
CM - Kroos, Vidal or Gundogan

De Gea
Rafael - Evans - Mangala - Shaw
Carrick - Kroos
Mata - Rooney - Januzaj
van Persie

Average age of that squad is 24, younger than Dortmund's.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Squad at the start of season 2013/2014:

GK - De Gea, Lindegaard, Amos
FB - Rafael, Fabio, Evra, Buttner
CB - Vidic, Ferdinand, Jones, Smalling, Evans
CM - Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs
AM/winger/CF - Januzaj, Rooney, Kagawa, Young, Valencia, Nani, Zaha
ST - RVP, Welbeck, Hernandez

This is a total of 25 registered first team players over the age of 21.

Squad at the end of season 2013/2014 after you take out actual departures including players with expiring contracts.

FB - Rafael, Buttner
CB - Jones, Smalling, Evans
CM - Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley
AM/winger/CF - Januzaj, Mata, Rooney, Kagawa, Young, Valencia, Nani, Zaha

Squad at the end of season 2013/2014 after you take out actual departures and players which I believe are not good enough to play for Manchester United or have been given too many chances already without success.

This already leaves us very short in many areas.

FB - Rafael, Valencia
CB, Jones, Smalling, Evans
CM - Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley
AM/Winger/CF - Januzaj, Mata, Rooney, Kagawa, Zaha

Take out the players who don't deserve to be here and you're left very short of having a squad to go into a season. When you see the situation like this, you start to panic if a single summer transfer window is long enough to sign enough players and we're not even talking about quality here, just numbers.

We're extremely short in the fullback department, a CB addition wouldn't hurt with our defensive injury record, no need to explain our CM situation and we need a reliable and consistent option when RVP isn't available.

We're pretty much covered in the attacking midfield department if we use Januzaj, mata and Rooney as regular starters and Kagawa, Valencia to rotate and rest the regulars while covering for Rafael and I have to say I'm very proud that our team can boast such great attacking talent.

Last edited:

ricky-romeo

this is going to be fun.

GK: de gea, lindegaard, johnstone/amos
RB: rafael, varela
CB: vidic, evans, smalling, jones
LB: evra, shaw or coentrao
CM: carrick, fletcher, fellaini, cleverley*, kroos or koke, vidal or gundogan
AM/WINGER: mata, januzaj, nani*, kagawa , reus
ST: van persie, rooney, welbeck, hernandez

loans: johnstone/amos, michael keane, will keane, zaha, powell, lingard, henriquez

* if a good offer came in, then would be allowed to leave.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
The whole CM will need a shake-up at the end of the season. Carrick and Fletcher will be good squad players, but we should look at upgrading even Carrick who is ageing and looks past his best. Won't even mention Fellaini who has a lot to prove.

In - Cabaye, Vidal, young CM.
Out - Anderson, Giggs, Cleverley (if we get a decent offer)

That will give us Vidal, Cabaye, Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini and hopefully a young CM such as Koke. Sell Fellaini next summer if he continues to be shite.

Sadly that's probably going to cost us £80 million so realistically we'll probably buy one quality CM and another young/squad player for 15 mil or so.

Glanville95

Ideal signings for the rest of the window:

A defensively astute, deep midfielder who can dictate the flow of a match and has no issues retaining possession under pressure; I think the resulting effect of acquiring a midfielder in that mould, would allow the players in the final third like Mata, Rooney, van Persie to flourish and would give us the platform to build attacks from deep, it would also make our midfield a lot more secure and invite less pressure on our defence. Yohan Cabaye would be fit that category and would also inject a bit of aggression into a passive and tentative midfield.

And a young left back who can offer longevity at the club and possesses maturity beyond his years. It's pretty obvious who I'm describing, but Luke Shaw would give us ten plus years as a first choice left back - injuries and form permitting - and would immediately improve our defensive shape and cohesion which can be very lacking with Evra constantly caught out of position.

January departures:

Anderson has gone - thank feck!

Sell Ben Amos.

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing both our left backs in Alex Buttner and Fabio leave with Evra and Shaw our two competing left backs for the rest of the season clearly enough. In Buttner's case it might be wiser looking to loan him out with Evra probably leaving at the end of the season and Fabio is having a medical at Cardiff as we speak.

Then, you've got Wilfried Zaha joining Fabio on loan at Cardiff and then I would personally like to see Ashley Young leave immediately. People will go on about him being a 'useful squad player', but I personally don't see any use in him with our attacking options and he is simply a needless pay packet in all honesty.

That would leave a squad between now and the end of the season, looking like this;

GK: de Gea, Lindegaard, Johnstone

DF: Evans, Smalling, Vidic, Jones, Ferdinand, Rafael, Shaw, Evra

MF: Cabaye, Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini, Cleverley, Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj, Valencia, Nani, Giggs

FW: Rooney, van Persie, Welbeck, Hernandez

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Play 4231 with RVP up front support by Rooney, Mata and Januzaj
Buy two very strong midfielders in the mould of Vidal and Gundogan.
We will challenge for the title instantly.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
My squad for next season;

GK: De Gea, Lindegaard
RB: Rafael
CB: Smalling, Jones, Evans, Vidic
LB:
RW: Valencia
CM: Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverley, Fletcher
LW: Young, Januzaj, Zaha
CF: RVP, Rooney, Kagawa, Mata, Hernandez, Welbeck

Starting XI;

---------------De Gea---------------
Rafael---Smalling---Vidic---?????
-------Carrick-------?????-------
Mata----------Rooney----------Januzaj
-----------------RVP-----------------

I expect Evra to go back to France, Ferdinand & Giggs to retire and Buttner to be sold. I hope we can keep Vidic but if he like Evra were to move on then it'll add to what we need to bring in

What we don't need to bring in;

GK - Obviously sorted, if Lindegaard goes then a back up will need to be brought in but obviously DDG will play most games
RB - Another area where I think we're fine, Rafael will continue to be first choice with Smalling, Jones and Valencia all available if needed to fill in. Wouldn't be the end of the world if we did bring in a dedicated backup though
CF - Assuming Rooney & Hernandez stay we're fine in this area also

What we do need to bring in;

LB - Evra will leave, I assume Buttner will be sold which means arguably two LB's will be needed. The pursuit of Baines appears to be over, it seems we're still keen on Coentrao and if we believe the reports over the last 24 hours we're also interested in Shaw. Cant see us bringing in both Coentrao and Shaw though as both would demand first team football, for this reason it would seem a bit stupid to sell Buttner
CB - All depends on Vidic, if he stays then I don't see the need for anyone, if he goes then a top class CB will be needed to replace him. If he does stay I still feel we need to be integrating Smalling or Jones as a 1st choice regardless (though that all depends on their fitness more than anything else)
CM - At least 1 if not 2 are needed, couldn't name who though. Gündoğan seemed like as good a fit as anyone but it seems it would be a massive risk due to his fitness. Vidal & Koke I've never seen play so couldn't comment on how good they are. I'm still worried this will be an area where we fail to strengthen due to lack of available options
RW & LW - Maybe not so much of a problem area in my proposed starting line up however when you look at the backup in Valencia & Young both of whom I fail to see being sold on then it does highlight a potential weak spot. Reus would be a dream signing but I'm sceptical as to how realistic that signing really would be (his signing would presumably hinder Januzaj's development as well)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
GK: De Gea, Lindegaard, Johnson
DR: Rafael, Coleman
DC: Evans, Vidic
DC: Smalling, Jones, Zouma (possibility of needing Jones in CM if Fletcher's problem return)
DL: Shaw, Evra (or if Evra goes, Coentrao and keep Buttner)

DM: Carvalho, Fletcher
MC: Carrick, Cleverley
MC: Gundogan, Fellaini, Powell

AML: Mata, Young, Jesse
AMR: Januzaj, Valencia, Zaha

STK: Rooney, RVP, Welbeck

-------------------

IN: Coleman, Shaw (or Coentrao), Carvalho, Gundogan, Zouma
OUT: Rio, Buttner/Evra, Kagawa, Nani, Hernandez, Giggs

------

The aim is to strengthen key positions + reduce the need of using players out of positions. Its a highly versatile team, which can shift from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 and 4-5-1 with great ease.

Strategy wise Ill promote the young talent. Zaha and Jesse should slowly but surely take Valencia and Young's place as cover/competition of Mata/Januzaj

Last edited:

Rob Bowman

Dreaming 1st team...

-----------De Gea----------
Rafael--Evans-Vidic-Coentrao
------Carrick---Kroos--------
Mata------Rooney-----Reus
------------RvP------------

Subs....

---------Lindegaard--------
?????--Jones--Smalling-????
-------Fellini--Fletcher-----
Valencia--Kagawa--Januczaj
----------Wellbeck---------

IN- Coentrao, Kroos, Reus, and a backup R and L Back

Out- Evra, Hernandez, Nani, Buttner, Giggs

Last edited:

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
What's with the Reus obsession? If we sign Reus one of Januzaj, Mata or Rooney will lose their starting spot in the team. :(