Music Your top five albums of all time

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As in purely my personal favourite and I don't have to weigh up their contribution to the world of music or their cultural impact?

Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows
The Strokes - Is This It?
Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound
Jimmy Eat World - Clarity
Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight

Bertie Wooster

Was expecting a bit more love for Oasis in here.
I loved Oasis in the 90's, when I was mostly in my teens.

Over the years, I still like the songs but I find the group - or the Gallagher brothers - really hard to warm to / quite unlikeable.

Also, I really like to see / hear the emotion coming from the lead singer as they deliver the song. I don't get that from Liam - especially live, when he just swaggers about trying to look cool.

Carolina Red

Staff
Green Day - American Idiot
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin Bob Dylan
Metallica - S&M
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid Madd City
Nas - Illmatic

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
In no particular order.

Sergeant Pepper - Beatles
Dark Side of the Moon - Floyd
Low - Bowie
Banana Cover - Velvets
Rid of Me - PJ Harvey

Honourably mention; The Smiths, PJ Harvey, Joni (Blue), Neil Young - any of his almost. Hard Nose the Highway - Van. Also the Bowie one could have been Blackstar or the Next Day or Ziggy. Damn, I forgot Talking Heads….

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Physical Graffiti-Led Zeppelin
Sticky Fingers - Rolling Stones
Blonde on Blonde -Dylan
Every Knows This Is Nowhere-Neil Young
Morrison Hotel - Doors

Superunknown

Only choosing 5? That's really, really hard.

In no particular order:

Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory: I grew up with this album and know it inside out. Regardless over whether it's "technically" the best album out there or whatever, to not put it in there after the amount of times I've listened to it would be disrespectful. I would be lying to myself.

Soundgarden - Superunknown: What an album. It's just insanely good. There are too many moments where you think the album has peaked, and then another one comes along. I'd struggle to actually get my top 5 songs off that album nailed down.

Tool - Lateralus: Oh my absolute god. This is one of those album I just have on loop and it's perfect for every mood. The musicianship and craft of this album is something to be admired. It is definitely up there with the other "big" and classic albums of all time. No question about it.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream: I've spent a few moments agonising over whether this album or Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness should be in here, and it is tough. Slightly leaning towards Siamese Dream as I'd argue that this one had the bigger impact on me. It's an immense album and seems to get better with repeated listens.

Radiohead - The Bends: Most people would go for Ok Computer, which is another classic album. But, this one is too fecking good and is more up my street. The title track is one of my favourites off the album and has so many tasty moments throughout. It's a perfect album, imo. One that everybody should hear at least once. I would KILL for another Radiohead album like this. It's a shame they moved/steered away from this sound, but part of what makes them unique is their ability to reinvent themselves, so it's a tough one.

After that, here are some more that could potentially make the top 5 if we were to do this again in a few years from now. On any given day, I might substitute some of the top 5 for some these below:

The Beatles - Revolver
Mogwai - Come On, Die Young
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Daft Punk - Discovery
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
OutKast - Stankonia
Run the Jewels - RTJ4
YeahYeahYeahs - Fever To Tell
Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go
Nirvana - Nevermind
Nirvana - In Utero

There's so much out there that putting out a top 5 is hard.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Only choosing 5? That's really, really hard.

In no particular order:

Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory: I grew up with this album and know it inside out. Regardless over whether it's "technically" the best album out there or whatever, to not put it in there after the amount of times I've listened to it would be disrespectful. I would be lying to myself.

Soundgarden - Superunknown: What an album. It's just insanely good. There are too many moments where you think the album has peaked, and then another one comes along. I'd struggle to actually get my top 5 songs off that album nailed down.

Tool - Lateralus: Oh my absolute god. This is one of those album I just have on loop and it's perfect for every mood. The musicianship and craft of this album is something to be admired. It is definitely up there with the other "big" and classic albums of all time. No question about it.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream: I've spent a few moments agonising over whether this album or Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness should be in here, and it is tough. Slightly leaning towards Siamese Dream as I'd argue that this one had the bigger impact on me. It's an immense album and seems to get better with repeated listens.

Radiohead - The Bends: Most people would go for Ok Computer, which is another classic album. But, this one is too fecking good and is more up my street. The title track is one of my favourites off the album and has so many tasty moments throughout. It's a perfect album, imo. One that everybody should hear at least once. I would KILL for another Radiohead album like this. It's a shame they moved/steered away from this sound, but part of what makes them unique is their ability to reinvent themselves, so it's a tough one.

After that, here are some more that could potentially make the top 5 if we were to do this again in a few years from now. On any given day, I might substitute some of the top 5 for some these below:

The Beatles - Revolver
Mogwai - Come On, Die Young
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Daft Punk - Discovery
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
OutKast - Stankonia
Run the Jewels - RTJ4
YeahYeahYeahs - Fever To Tell
Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go
Nirvana - Nevermind
Nirvana - In Utero

There's so much out there that putting out a top 5 is hard.
I actually considered putting Bloc Party's A Weekend in the City in my list, as the strongest example of the Britpop revival of the second half of the 2000s that I spent a lot of time with. I think Silent Alarm may have a few better highs, but it feels like a random collection of songs to me; A Weekend in the City is stronger throughout in my opinion.

Superunknown

I actually considered putting Bloc Party's A Weekend in the City in my list, as the strongest example of the Britpop revival of the second half of the 2000s that I spent a lot of time with. I think Silent Alarm may have a few better highs, but it feels like a random collection of songs to me; A Weekend in the City is stronger throughout in my opinion.
I adore that album. It seems to get mixed opinions from people, but I really, really like it. I agree with your comment about Silent Alarm having a few better highs, and it's the album that has stuck with me more. But, no denying that A Weekend in the City is a quality album. I've got some great memories of listening to that. The band definitely peaked with this and they've not been able to put out anything that can match it since.

Kreuzberg and I Still Remember are my two highlights on that album. I had the version of the album that didn't include Flux, but if we're fine to include that, then I'd put that song up there too with one of their best.

Might listen to it this afternoon now. :lol: :drool:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
-White album(Beatles)
-The Doors
-The velvet underground
-the fat of the land(Prodigy)
-Agila(extremoduro, a spanish band).

Surely I could substitute any one for the debut of the Ramones, the suburbs, joshua tree or smashing pumpkins.
And although it is a compilation I have always imagined it as an album, and if it were, Remasters by Led Zeppelin would be my number one

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I adore that album. It seems to get mixed opinions from people, but I really, really like it. I agree with your comment about Silent Alarm having a few better highs, and it's the album that has stuck with me more. But, no denying that A Weekend in the City is a quality album. I've got some great memories of listening to that. The band definitely peaked with this and they've not been able to put out anything that can match it since.

Kreuzberg and I Still Remember are my two highlights on that album. I had the version of the album that didn't include Flux, but if we're fine to include that, then I'd put that song up there too with one of their best.

Might listen to it this afternoon now. :lol: :drool:
:D

Part of my 'problem' with Silent Alarm is probably that I have an extended version with two bonus tracks. I never really listened to the album without those, which might make it feel more coherent. But I also do think Weekend works better narratively, and I like its fuller sound better. Many bands had that in that time: a first album with great tunes but a relatively weak sound, and a second album with a fuller sound but weaker songs. But I think Bloc Party has both on Weekend, plus a nice arch in the songs. I agree with your picks, but my own favorite there is Hunting for Witches (cool song structure, too). There is a nice seamless insertion of bits in 7/4 in Song for Clay also.

Gandalf

Going to be honest and not try to be cool with this and frankly having been born in 1971 my prime music days were the early to mid eighties when Top of the Pops was essential viewing. Not the 5 best albums but the 5 that I still love the most for the memories;

Duran Duran - Rio (this actually is the best album ever made and if you disagree you know nothing)
Thompson Twins - Into the Gap
Human League - Dare
Iron Maiden - Powerslave (how I became seduced to the metal side of things)
XTC - English Settlement

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II
Metallica - Master of Puppets

Superunknown

:D

Part of my 'problem' with Silent Alarm is probably that I have an extended version with two bonus tracks. I never really listened to the album without those, which might make it feel more coherent. But I also do think Weekend works better narratively, and I like its fuller sound better. Many bands had that in that time: a first album with great tunes but a relatively weak sound, and a second album with a fuller sound but weaker songs. But I think Bloc Party has both on Weekend, plus a nice arch in the songs. I agree with your picks, but my own favorite there is Hunting for Witches (cool song structure, too). There is a nice seamless insertion of bits in 7/4 in Song for Clay also.
Song for Clay is another definite highlight, too. I remember having a conversation with a girl I was trying to pick up around about when that album came out. Also a Bloc Party fan, but didn't like how "political" they were becoming with Hunting for Witches. That was enough for that day. :lol:

I'd give the "base" version of Silent Alarm a listen. Just looking at its wikipedia, as much as I like "Two More Years" and "Little Thoughts" (really, really good songs), they don't really work where they are on that album and it kinda messes up the flow of what comes before it. It's pretty tight in its original format, imo, and there's something about having 13 tracks that seems spot on to me. A really beautiful album that does lots of interesting things. So Here We Are is one of my all-time favourite songs, it's just utterly superb. On another note, for ages, I misread/misheard the first track as Like Eating Grass. I had a huge lightbulb moment when I went back to that album some time later and re-read the tracklisting. Just hearing the correct lyrics blew my mind. I was such a stupid kid. :lol:

MiracleInMadrid

Pretty much an impossible task for me. But i've listed five albums I always return to and never will get tired of. In addition, Ive' focussed on albums I enjoy most when listened to from end to end with no pause.

London Calling - The Clash
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
The Bends - Radiohead
Darkness On the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen
Harvest - Neil Young

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Song for Clay is another definite highlight, too. I remember having a conversation with a girl I was trying to pick up around about when that album came out. Also a Bloc Party fan, but didn't like how "political" they were becoming with Hunting for Witches. That was enough for that day. :lol:

I'd give the "base" version of Silent Alarm a listen. Just looking at its wikipedia, as much as I like "Two More Years" and "Little Thoughts" (really, really good songs), they don't really work where they are on that album and it kinda messes up the flow of what comes before it. It's pretty tight in its original format, imo, and there's something about having 13 tracks that seems spot on to me. A really beautiful album that does lots of interesting things. So Here We Are is one of my all-time favourite songs, it's just utterly superb. On another note, for ages, I misread/misheard the first track as Like Eating Grass. I had a huge lightbulb moment when I went back to that album some time later and re-read the tracklisting. Just hearing the correct lyrics blew my mind. I was such a stupid kid. :lol:
How political they'd become! That's hilarious. :lol:

Yeah, I'll listen it through without those two at the end. So Here We Are is great, but I think Heiicopter is my favorite. Lots of banging tunes and amazing drums though. In general, I actually prefer buying original versions of album; it's extremely rare that add-ons make the original album better. Bands should rather just release a B-sides album at some point! (Talk Talk and Marillion come to mind.)

Last edited:

GuyfromAustria

In general, I actually prefer buying original versions of album; it's extremely rare that add-ons make the original album better. Bands should rather just release a B-side album at some point! (Talk Talk and Marillion come to mind.)
Fully agree! I used to buy loads of albums and now I'm always confused of annoyed when these unfamiliar tracks pop up on Spotify.
A separate B-side album is perfectly fine for me.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This is just near impossible to do. I can't make lists, plus 'best album' sounds so big that I don't know what fits the bill. So to make it easier for myself, I'll compile a list of great albums of different kinds of music I'd like to keep if I only got to keep a couple - like fourteen. (Cause even getting it down to fourteen has taken far too much time.)

Bad Religion -The Empire Strikes First
Cowboys Fringants - L'expédition
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Harmoniun - Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison
Ice Cube - The Predator
Klein Orkest - Het leed versierd
Midlake - The Courage of Others
Pater Moeskroen - Niets is wat het lijkt
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Radiohead - OK Computer
Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles
Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
Vangelis - See You Later

I'll try and resist the temptation to keep editing this.
I like talking about music too much, so I thought I'd have another go anyway - with some explanation this time.

Yes - Fragile or Close to the Edge. I should probably put my progrock albums first, since that was my first real obsession in music. It's hard to pick a specific album; there's always something missing somewhere. For example, I'm not big fna of And You And I on Close to the Edge, and that's about a quarter of its content; and Fragile has some clear filler. I originally went with a Genesis album instead, but while I like them better as a band overall, I think all of their albums have stronger flaws than these two from Yes; Genesis really don't have a definitive album for me. For Yes, it's a toss-up between Fragile and Close to the Edge, and I refuse to choose.

Harmoniun - Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison
. Another issue with picking progrock albums is that I've listened most of them to death, and I don't appreciate them as much anymore. One reason why this one is here, is because I discovered it only a few years ago and haven't been able to kill it off just yet. But it's also gorgeous, and unique in its sound and the way they can create tempo and fullness without using drums. Depuis l'automne is an absolutely stand-out here, but everything is great.

Bad Religion -The Empire Strikes First. I kinda want the list to be a little representative of the full range of my taste as well, and then punk and other genres also have to feature. In punk, Bad Religion are my favorites. While they have a lot of good stuff, this one stands out for me, with its pace, strong sound, overall song arc, melodies, and playing (especially the drums).

Ice Cube - The Predator. Rap is another genre for me like that. I have to admit that I don't listen to the lyrics all that much; they come second to me (although maybe less in Dutch), after feel and sound. That's why an album like Illmatic doesn't work for me as well; the songs are too monotonous to me. While there is cleverer and more interesting rap, The Predator has always worked really well for me; I like its aggression and energy and beats.

Cowboys Fringants - L'expédition. Cowboys Fringants play a kind of energetic country/folk. They have a ton of great songs, but not so many great albums. L'expédition is near-perfect though, capturing their melodies, energy, melancholy, awesome lyrics, and everything else in a fairly concise package of consistent quality.

Klein Orkest - Het leed versierd. This is by no means an amazing band, but they just really-really (really really!) work for me. The songs from this album and the next have basically constantly drifted in and out of my mind for some two decades now, and that must count for something. Great lyrics and melodies, and some pretty decent musical ideas as well.

Pater Moeskroen - Niets is wat het lijkt. Pater Moeskroen was founded as a party band, and their first couple of albums are all full of good nonsense. (With Piramide even the best Madness track not by Madness.) In their mid-career, however, they went serious (a little, anyway), with concept(ish) albums and much more elaborate musical arrangements. On this album, everything comes together perfectly, and it's just great fun with interesting songs and instrumentations throughout.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon. Back to the more complex stuff. I'm not huge on Pink Floyd, but their 70s albums are amazing, but this one most of all. It basically hasn't got a weak moment, and there is so much to hear, too.

Sting - The Soul Cages. I need to have some Sting on here - The Police and his solo work (until around 2000) are just too amazing. I had first put The Dream of the Blue Turtles here, but I think I like The Soul Cages better. 'Dream' has a couple of weaker songs and is a little more straightforward. The Soul Cages cuts a bit deeper, and has more complex arrangements also. (It might be the only Sting album that can't be performed live by his usual five-piece.) It's been a grower for me, and I really love it now.

Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring. There is no band like Talk Talk really; especially their development over just five albums was absolutely astonishing. (Or six, if you include Hollis's solo album, which basically continues where Talk Talk stopped after Laughing Stock.) While all their work is great (OK, not so much their debut album), I feel this one is the perfect marriage between the directness of the first two albums and the complexity of the last two. Chameleon Day plus Time Is Time is a highlight in music for me.

Vangelis - See You Later. I have been a fan of synth music since before my teens, and have to include something here. The obvious choice is Vangelis, who for me goes deepest and widest. I love a lot of his work, from the jazz of Albedo 0.39 to the opera of Mask or the new age of Oceanic. (But not really the stuff after; that's generally too ambient to me.) I feel all that comes together best on See You Later, which besides a bit of humour contains one of Vangelis's most hauntingly beautiful and sad tracks in Memories of Green (repurposed for Blade Runner), and in the title track a song that basically summarizes all of Vangelis's career: the arpeggiated synths, the jazzier stuff (very briefly here), the vocal collaborations with Jon Anderson, and so on.

There are various other genres and bands I could have included here, but I felt they didn't have albums that I really wanted to have on this list. That's why I removed Radiohead (OK Computer or Kid A?) and Midlake now (and Fleet Foxes from an earlier draft), removed the ELP album (I wouldn't really put it on anymore), and also didn't include any britpop, postpunk, or new wave albums. Gotta stop somewhere, I guess. (But still 11 albums in total.)

Coops73

Wow very hard to choose and very much a moveable feast for me. I could post again next week and it will be totally different, but right here right now…
Primal scream: Screamadelica
The clash: Sandinista
LCD soundsystem: LCD soundsystem
The Doors: LA woman
Bowie: Hunky Dory.

see you next week.