Film Your top three film directors

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

IhabX7

Nuri Bilge Ceylan is very good and I actually think a lot of people here would like his films. They're very dark crime films.
I remember how in awe I was when I first saw Once Upon a Time in Anatolia. Masterful filmmaking. I could talk about this film for hours.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I think Chungking Express for Wong Kar Kai. If you like it then you'll probably like his other stuff. A young Quenty Tarantino gives a good breakdown:

I'd say maybe Woman is the Future of Man for Hong Sang-soo, but I'll caveat this by saying none of Sang-soo's films lend themselves well as individual pieces.

You'll see terms like minimalist and austere thrown around with his work because they're very simple character dramas where the themes lend themselves better across his work. I remember watching the movie about 5 years ago and thinking nothing happens. Then I watched more of his films and realised it's through repetition of themes that he makes his best points.

An old Marty Scorsese gives a good breakdown:

I'm sure both movies are available for you to express your extreme distaste on a nearby piracy website :)
Cheers, I'm going to have to check these out. Thanks. Also, I loved Once Upon a Time in Anatolia

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This as difficult as picking 5 favourite Hip-Hop artists.

Scorsese
Tarantino

Was really tough to pick the last one but I have to go with Clint Eastwood due to personal preference. That’s not to say he’a a mediocre director.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Love all the ones mentioned so I'm going to add to the list. I give you 3 very influential directors, not necessarily the best
1. Sidney Lumet
2. Fritz Lang
3. David Lean

JohnZSmith27

Love all the ones mentioned so I'm going to add to the list. I give you 3 very influential directors, not necessarily the best
1. Sidney Lumet
2. Fritz Lang
3. David Lean
Nice. Watched 12 Angry Men again the other day. Such a great movie.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Nice. Watched 12 Angry Men again the other day. Such a great movie.
What I loved about Lumet was his belief that racism was a real blight on society as well as wanting to expose institutional corruption long before others even considered it

hobbers

Lynch
Van Sant
Kubrick

Tarantino, Scorsese and Bong Joon-ho up there too.

Infra-red

Welles is widely regarded as "the greatest" but I think I'd go for the ones whose films I find the most re-watchable, which would probably be Kubrick, Fellini and Kurosawa. You can just watch them again and again and you always find something new or interesting.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Tarantino, never made a bad one. Scorsese and Spielberg. The number of good and great movies between the three... Forman for Cuckoo's Nest and Polanski for Chinatown.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Tough question... I'll just cheat:

Classic: Lang, Buñuel, Hitchcock

Blockbuster: Ford Coppola, Scorsese, Tarantino

Current favs: Fincher, Sorkin (altough more of a genius writer), Nolan

Special place in my heart: Kusturica, Gilliam, Satoshi Kon.

USREDEVIL

Scoresese
George Lucas
Kubrick with honorable mention to Tarantino cause his films are so fun to watch

Lots of amazing movies by great directors but these folks have made a lot of amazing movies.

Kaush949

Top 3 Current:
Dennis Villeneuve
Quentin Tarantino
David Fincher

Honorable Mentions:
Christopher Nolan
Coen Brothers
Martin Scorcese
Michael Mann
Guy Ritchie
David Cronenberg
Katherine Bigelow
James Mangold
Sam Mendes
Francis Ford Copolla
Stanley Kubrick
Martin Campbell

Emerging:
Ari Aster

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Copolla is a tough one for me. He's obviously made some incredible pictures but the filming of Apocalypse Now (one of my very favourite films) was such an incredible disaster that he has to take some flak for it.

At the same time, that he was able to pull out such a fantastic bit of cinema from the shitshow that production was is perhaps a further testament to his quality.

Superunknown

My personal top three:

Spielberg
Nolan
Fincher

On a different day, I would probably swap out Fincher and put in one of either Hitchcock, Villeneuve, or Scott.

Robert Eggers is developing a good reputation for himself, too. Loved both The Witch and The Lighthouse.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Alex Garland lately. Nice arc from novel writer to video game story supervisor, ending on writing and directing movies & TV shows.

Will always appreciate him for developing legendary comic book character to a movie that doesn't feel like cartoon.

OleBoiii

Scorsese, Nolan and Tarantino seem to be the three most popular directors on RedCafe. The two first in particular.

Superunknown

Alex Garland lately.

Nice arc from novel writer to video game story supervisor, ending on writing and directing movies & TV shows.
I love the work that he did for 28 Days Later. That's a film that really should come up way more often than it does when people talk about the best or iconic British films.

Just checking out his wikipedia. I never knew he wrote and produced Dredd, which is another great and sometimes underrated film.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I love the work that he did for 28 Days Later. That's a film that really should come up way more often than it does when people talk about the best or iconic British films.

Just checking out his wikipedia. I never knew he wrote and produced Dredd, which is another great and sometimes underrated film.
He invited Dredd's comic book creator on set to keep things properly brutal & grotesque, helped a lot getting that 80s & 90s atmosphere. For me it's the proper Robocop sequel that should happen after 2nd Robocop movie. Everything just clicked rightly for him and didn't even need 100m of budget to make that type of production.

Ex Machina had 15m USD budget which is laughable for ambitious Sci-Fi, but it looks ridiculously good anyway.

I just hope he won't stop doing his thing.

Halftrack

The feck? No James Cameron? The Terminator and The Terminator 2: Judgement Day are two of the best action films ever made, Aliens is a classic and something as rare as a sequel that's as good as its predecessor, The Abyss is cool and fun, Titanic and Avatar are special effect masterpieces (and Avatar is a lot better than it's given credit for.)

So James Cameron.
(pretend I put two others here...
...and here, respectively.)

nickyboy1981

Surprised the lack of Spielberg votes, maybe you had to grow up in the 80s. For me:

Spielberg
Hitchcock
Del Toro

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Surprised the lack of Spielberg votes, maybe you had to grow up in the 80s. For me:

Spielberg
Hitchcock
Del Toro
For me with Hitchcock first and Kubrick second, it came down to either Scorsese or Spielberg. I chose Scorsese. But Spielberg would make my top five. I am watching Munich again tomorrow.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Copolla is a tough one for me. He's obviously made some incredible pictures but the filming of Apocalypse Now (one of my very favourite films) was such an incredible disaster that he has to take some flak for it.

At the same time, that he was able to pull out such a fantastic bit of cinema from the shitshow that production was is perhaps a further testament to his quality.
I'd mostly consider the output, also because I have no idea in most cases how directors were to their crew. (Kubrick for example probably wasn't easy to work with. Fincher can also be very demanding I think, like tons of retakes until the scene is exactly right.) In any case, is something like this not rather on the head of a the film's producers? (Although Coppola was the producer as well, but it's still not his director's role. ;) )

On Coppola, I would personally include Tucker and Dracula among his great films as well. Tucker isn't all that special but really well made; and while Dracula is not for everyone, I really love it visually.
(pretend I put two others here...
...and here, respectively.)
In that specific order of preference?

Halftrack

In that specific order of preference?
After careful consideration and deliberation: Yes.

Spielberg
Hitchcock
Del Toro
Spielberg's definitely up there for me. But he's there alongside del Toro, Verhoeven, Nolan, Scorsese, Kubrick, Scott, and a host of others. There's too many to only choose three. I only mentioned Cameron because no one else had, and that's a fecking scandal.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
John Carpenter
Steven Spielberg
Quentin Tarantino

Dante

Average bang
Spielberg
Nolan
Miyazaki

Picked those 3 for the fact they can direct an average script into a brilliant movie.

Scorcese is great, but all of his movies are identical. Kubrik relies on the source material more than the others. Tarantino is a little too style over substance.