Film Your top three film directors

Tarrou

Wong Kar Wai and Kurosawa the top two, easily

really hard to pick the third

maybe Tarantino or Spielberg

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Very tough, choosing 3 leaves out some amazing directors but my favourites are (currently)

Coen Brothers
David lynch
Denis Villeneuve

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wong Kar Wai and Kurosawa the top two, easily

really hard to pick the third

maybe Tarantino or Spielberg
I have the same taste but I stop at these two.

Simbo

Michael Mann is a favorite of mine. Collateral, Heat, Manhunter, The Insider. :drool:
Heat, Last of the Mohicans are my top 2 films and were before I realised they were made by the same guy. He has a style of filmmaking evident in (almost) all his work that just clicks with me. I even enjoyed Miami Vice!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Historically, for their body of work

Tarkovski
Bergman
Scorsese

Still currently working (although ok Marty technically would fit that description but feck it)

Mann
Villeneuve
Eggers

Honourable mentions to PTA, Fincher, Lynch, the Coens, del Toro, the Safdies, Nolan, Soderbergh, Chloé Zhao (though kinda disappointed she went off and did some Marvel garbage) and Edgar Wright. Also curious about what Ari Aster and Jordan Peele come out with next.

Malick is actually my favourite director but I find it hard to categorize him.

OleGunnar20

Coen Brothers
Tarantino

And my final and favourite is a bit of a cheat, as I think he wrote rather than directed most of his stuff (but can't say for sure, not hugely into these things) - Iannucci. Simply because of how much i love all of his stuff.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Top 3 of the current era: Paul Thomas Anderson, Max Eggers and Chris Nolan are my favorites (with honorable mention to Wes Anderson).

Of all time is much more difficult - Kubrick, Spielberg and Hitchcock would be my own personal choices.

lsd

The Oracle
Heat, Last of the Mohicans are my top 2 films and were before I realised they were made by the same guy. He has a style of filmmaking evident in (almost) all his work that just clicks with me. I even enjoyed Miami Vice!

Oh wow I watched an hour of the Miami Vice film this week before finally turning it off.

It was the worst film I have ever seen in my life and I really tried to see if it would get any better but nope.

So dull and depressing Farrell and Foxx may as well have been asleep in all their scenes

Mann has done some great films but that one really tarnishes him.

It was even worse than Dune as far as I'm concerned and that seemed to consist of people I had no interest in wearing weird things and walking about muttering about spice being important before I gave up on that too.

What makes Vice worse though is in not a sci fi fan so I pretty much got what I expected with Dune but I can't believe they messed Miami Vice up so badly

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I feel like Tarantino has it going against him True Romance is his best directed film :wenger:

Jackie Chan
Sammo Hung
Yuen Woo-ping

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Difficult to pin down favourite directors as no-one really has a consummate body of work that is beyond reproach. That being said. I would go with in no particular order:

Paul Verhoeven
Jimmy Cameron
Zack Snyder

with honourable mentions to Lars von Trier, Michael Bay, Gareth Evans and Steven Spielberg.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Miami Vice is one of the most underrated and misunderstood films of the past 20 years. It's a masterpiece.

Another of Mann's that goes under the radar is Blackhat which was very good in its own right.

Last edited:

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Difficult to pin down favourite directors as no-one really has a consummate body of work that is beyond reproach. That being said. I would go with in no particular order:

Paul Verhoeven
Jimmy Cameron
Zack Snyder

with honourable mentions to Lars von Trier, Michael Bay, Gareth Evans and Steven Spielberg.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Michael Bay is incredibly underrated, because of all the blockbuster garbage he's done.
I highly recommend people watch pain & gain, a film that was a labour of love and doesn't belong in the category of films he's known for.

lsd

The Oracle
Michael Bay is incredibly underrated, because of all the blockbuster garbage he's done.
I highly recommend people watch pain & gain, a film that was a labour of love and doesn't belong in the category of films he's known for.

A Mark Wahlberg film I don't think so

Balljy

A Mark Wahlberg film I don't think so
Plus Dwayne Johnson and Anthony Mackie in a film about extortion and hiring musclemen. It doesn't exactly sound that far removed from his normal stuff from the synopsis!

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Pain & Gain is his most watchable film, even though it's quite ugly, from an aesthetic perspective. But whatever, it works quite well for what it is, though it's far from being that memorable.

But he's not underrated. It's not like his duds are the outliers, very much the opposite - 6 Underground has to be one of the worst pieces of garbage I've seen in a long time, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon... Then you have all the Transformer films, which I haven't watched but I doubt would change my mind on him. The Rock was fun in that 90s action flick way, but his filmography reads like an inventory of garbage.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Pain & Gain is his most watchable film, even though it's quite ugly, from an aesthetic perspective. But whatever, it works quite well for what it is, though it's far from being that memorable.

But he's not underrated. It's not like his duds are the outliers, very much the opposite - 6 Underground has to be one of the worst pieces of garbage I've seen in a long time, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon... Then you have all the Transformer films, which I haven't watched but I doubt would change my mind on him. The Rock was fun in that 90s action flick way, but his filmography reads like an inventory of garbage.
But are those films shit because of his directing? Or are the scripts dog shit and is he following order on what the bosses want? Those films are designed in a lab. This kind of music, these actors, this amount of CGI, etc, etc.

Pain & Gain gave me the impression he's quite good when he has artistic freedom, and is the industries bitch for the $$$. I thin pain & gain is massively underrated, precisely because no one in their right mind would give a Michael Bay credit after the garbage he's made, or even give it a proper chance.

He's the film equivalent of Miley Cyrus. Girl can sing (listen to Jolene or Nothing Else Matters), but has spent most of her career making garbage because that's what pays.

Disclaimer: I don't think I've seen much of his work apart from Bad Boys and Transformers. Maybe those are his better films?

Simbo

Miami Vice is one of the most underrated and misunderstood films of the past 20 years. It's a masterpiece.

Another of Mann's that goes under the radar is Blackhat which was very good in its own right.
Not seen Blackhat cos of the reviews and the premise seemed a bit corny, should probably get round to that.

Not sure if your serious about Miami Vice? I mean I like it, have watched multiple times, I've assumed most the hatred comes from fans of the original show. Masterpiece seems a stretch though?