Youth and Rossi/Pique reminiscing

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We certainly have a habit of overating our youth players don't we?

We will be lucky if just one of our youngsters truly makes it at United.

Fergie has 30+ years experience in these matters, I think I'll trust his judgement when it comes to the likes of Norwood, Morrison and cleverley etc.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Average fan forum ratings for Carlisle from FootyMAD Message Board Community - number of games played in brackets

Harte (5) 7.53
Thirlwell (14) 7.02
Marshall (19) 7.00
Michalik (16) 6.98
Grella (10) 6.97
Chester (23) 6.84
Murphy (9) 6.62
Simek (29) 6.62
Taiwo (29) 6.58
Madine (28) 6.51
Collin (29) 6.43
Zoko (26) 6.39
Berrett (29) 6.38
Robson (17) 6.20
McDaid (14) 6.10
Curran (24) 6.02
Norwood (6) 5.77
Cruise (8) 5.50

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
We certainly have a habit of overating our youth players don't we?

We will be lucky if just one of our youngsters truly makes it at United.
This is the point. Obviously as fans we want to see the youngsters come through. But as you say there is a lot of overrating that does go on based on performances at youth and reserve level. They may look like world beaters at youth level but there are so many variables at that level. It is impossible to say with certainty who'll make it.

Of the youngsters we let go in Fergie's 24 years I think we can count on one hand the number that he has regretted letting go. Infact I'm struggling to think of anyone barring Pique and even then it is well known that it was Pique that wanted to leave and Fergie wanted to keep him.

yamo123x

I watch all our reserve games and all academy games.

We do have some real gems like Pogba, Morrison King and Tunicliffe. Tunicliffe in particularly this year has really come on, he has drive and hunger we lack in 1st team midfield. He is box to box and can put his foot in a la a young keano.

There are others who have a chance, they just need to develop that bit further like Will Keane, Robbie Brady,Nick Ajose,Corey Evans, Rhys Brown, Larnell Cole and Tom Thorpe. these 7 in particular have a chance. Ajose has done well on loan at Bury i hope he gets a chance. Cole is improving every game.

There are also quite a few players who are good quality players but you cannot see making it at united, like Norwood, Cofie, Gill,Wootton,Zeki Fryers,Hussein

Then there is petrucci, talent is undoubted but his injury record lets him down he must push on this year. Macheda i think has gone backdwards, he needs to get int he gym and start working hard, by all accounts he has been poor for Sampdoria and can't get a look in.

Interesting to see what other fans think of this

Alex

Oh, and Pique as a defensive midfielder when the caf has laid into Gibson to his bare bones? Pique would be absolutely clueless in that position (yes i know he played in that position for Zaragoza while on loan)
The difference is Pique best position has always been center back, Gibson doesnt have a best position. They are probably the same age and one is the best in the world, one is clearly not

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm a fan of Matty James and think he's got a good future ahead of him, what's Scholesy's take?
He has been a bit of a forgotten man recently, is he still injured? Shame his season hasn't really gone to plan, always had high hopes for him.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I meant I choose Eikrem and Macheda to be less controversial, and that these are more normal choices to keep Pogue Mahone less angry. I have never rated these players as highly as most do though, and if you look at their current sitatuation, well I say no more.
Hmm.

Eikrem is also a player I like.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
He has been a bit of a forgotten man recently, is he still injured? Shame his season hasn't really gone to plan, always had high hopes for him.
I'm not sure if he's still injured, but seeing as he hasn't been playing for the reserves of late i can only assume he is.

Both his loan spells at Preston went well so hopefully that got him noticed by others and he can have another loan move next season to, no offence intended, a slightly better side.

datura

I'm not sure if he's still injured, but seeing as he hasn't been playing for the reserves of late i can only assume he is.

Both his loan spells at Preston went well so hopefully that got him noticed by others and he can have another loan move next season to, no offence intended, a slightly better side.
I think PS18 said he's apparently back in training so should hopefully see him turn out for the reserves soon.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I have never rated Eikrem this highly Brwned.
Irrelevant to the point that you 'like' Eikrem, and yet somehow think that him being at Molde proves a point (that seemingly he isn't good enough)...

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Irrelevant to the point that you 'like' Eikrem, and yet somehow think that him being at Molde proves a point...
If you read his post I think what he meant was that he said he "liked" Eikrem to be less controversial but he didn't actually "like" Eikrem.

Which I think is utter horse shit BTW but I think thats what he meant.

datura

Irrelevant to the point that you 'like' Eikrem, and yet somehow think that him being at Molde proves a point (that seemingly he isn't good enough)...
FWIW this was the full quote he snipped from his 'Norwood is Special' thread:

I don't think that Norwood will grow much more, if at all. He's fairly stocky when you see him which can indicate that he's matured physically.

He has good vision, a good shot and set pieces. I feel he is too inconsistent in games and his passing erratic to be seen as 'special'. His season has not been as strong as hoped perhaps due to being played wide right for a fair part of the season where he struggled (he's not much of a dribbler). He's looked far better the past few games in a central position.

I would rate Eikrem as a better prospect at present, he has more subtlety in his passing and has a stronger all round game. It will be interesting to see how Norwood develops next season where he will have more responsibility at reserve level.

Scholesy

Has your opinion of Norwood changed datura?

He seems to have a lot more bravery in the challenge, and almost a dirty side to his character. I think I like this although as long as he is winning the ball. Physically, I am still not 100% confident he has improved enough, he does work hard but his strength and speed are not great. As a footballer though, he is a joy to watch and I believe he will replace the current Scholes.

redspoony

Mate of mine who is a matchgoing Tranmere fan said Wooton was shit for them when he was there.

I've not seen enough him, so couldn't say either way.

datura

Has your opinion of Norwood changed datura?

He seems to have a lot more bravery in the challenge, and almost a dirty side to his character. I think I like this although as long as he is winning the ball. Physically, I am still not 100% confident he has improved enough, he does work hard but his strength and speed are not great. As a footballer though, he is a joy to watch and I believe he will replace the current Scholes.
I don't think he's particularly impressed or developed this season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on in the summer (as well as Wootton).

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Pique was always going to feck back off to Spain eventually and no one would be talking about this Pique/Evans thing had 1) United beat Barca in 2009 and 2) Evans not have turned crap this season.

Rossi got big head syndrome after a couple months on loan to Parma.

kietotheworld

Evans was, and still is, a better defender than Pique.
Nah, that's bollocks. Pique is a key player for the World Champions in international football, was a key player for a team who won literally every competition they entered in 2009, and still is a key player for them. Evans had a few months where Vidic made him look a lot better than he actually was by playing at an incredible level, and the midfield offered him a lot of protection.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Nah, that's bollocks. Pique is a key player for the World Champions in international football, was a key player for a team who won literally every competition they entered in 2009, and still is a key player for them. Evans had a few months where Vidic made him look a lot better than he actually was by playing at an incredible level, and the midfield offered him a lot of protection.
Pique is a better footballer, Evans is a better defender. Pique would struggle more than Evans if he was still here - Barca's system plays to his strengths much more, which are mainly not actually defending.