Other YouTube Fame

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Just seen KSI's album has taken over Spotify UK. Fair enough if it was just one song but a whole album worth of tracks taking over Drake, The Weeknd, Bieber, Ariana Grande, AJ Tracey etc is pretty insane.

https://spotifycharts.com/regional/gb/daily/latest

Seems to be making a dent on global spotify too. I watched his fight against Logan Paul a few months ago, pretty insane to see how far Youtube fame is going.

United58

Don't listen to him myself but that's extremely impressive, he's done very well across multiple platforms now

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Not the first to crossover into the mainstream, Lilly Singh has a show on NBC but unfortunately she isn't very funny. However, it seems like KSI succeeds with whatever he does. I know Filthy Frank went into music but never got to the top.

binary bot
With social media, people with massive youth followings can make moves into anything now.

Still impressive though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
To be fair, I'd be disappointed if I didn't overtake Drake if I dropped a track
You'd be disappointed you didn't overtake the one of most popular artists in the world currently?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Charts are pointless these days. If I were rich enough I could buy my way into the top 40 easily enough.

Drifter

American
If there was any justice, Dax would be up there, far more talented.

Luke1995

Since Youtube fame has given the Paul brothers lucrative opportunities in combat sports, can you see this becoming normal ? Will we see more people using social media fame to crossover into live sports ?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Since Youtube fame has given the Paul brothers lucrative opportunities in combat sports, can you see this becoming normal ? Will we see more people using social media fame to crossover into live sports ?
Cheeky bid for PewDiePie?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The notion of modern celebrity is laughable tbh. Anyone can become famous for just doing mundane stuff. I can happily say the extent of my social media engagement is as an anonymous user on redcafe. Twitter, YouTube, Facebook etc., are just warp drives for the proliferation of misinformation, stupidity and ignorance. One of the worst developments of the last decade is the rise of the “influencer”.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The notion of modern celebrity is laughable tbh. Anyone can become famous for just doing mundane stuff. I can happily say the extent of my social media engagement is as an anonymous user on redcafe. Twitter, YouTube, Facebook etc., are just warp drives for the proliferation of misinformation, stupidity and ignorance. One of the worst developments of the last decade is the rise of the “influencer”.
Yeah Simon, maybe we’re just old and can’t comprehend it all, but I fully agree and Redcafe/LinkedIn is also the extent of my social media footprint.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I'm 27. I genuinely wouldn't be able to recognize a single "influencer" if they walked past me on Grafton Street. No way I could recognize a single song in the top 20 either. I'm not even particularly 'hipster' I just find that a lot of the mainstream 'culture' today is wank.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's very smart to be honest in a business sense. Get an army of "loyal" fans from the ages of 13-18 who will be ready to buy all your stuff with mums credit card.

They'll practically support him with anything he does now.

It's not just youtubers or twitch streamers, popstars and sports people have cult followings too. I guess social media has made them feel in touch with their favourites stars more than ever.

The "stan" culture I find a bit weird.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What does KSI actually do on YouTube? What’s his “genre”?

Same with the Paul brothers and PewDiePie?

I watch a lot of YouTube but have never stumbled upon any of their stuff.

pascell

KSI started off doing Fifa videos about 7/8 years ago, maybe longer, one of the first to start the trend as well. No idea about the others but the Paul brothers are gobshites.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I guess comedy, he used to be funny when he did his FIFA videos but he does lazy reaction videos now, he's also part of a really popular group of vloggers called the Sidemen who do a lot of in real life "challenge" videos which seem to be insanely popular with kids. KSI's so successful now that he doesn't really need to put much effort into his YouTube videos, it's not really his main source of income anymore.

PewDiePie started off with gaming videos, to this day I'll never understand how he ended up so popular, I was probably too old for his content by the time he started becoming the most subscribed channel on the platform.

The Paul's used to do a lot of controversial vlogs which grew their channels because it was really appealling to kids because it seemed really edgy, I can't speak for Jake but Logan went to less controversial content after the whole suicide forest fiasco. He's (apparently) quit YouTube for good now.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Whenever I see a clickbait video thumbnail that says something along the lines of 'CRAZIEST 'THIS' EVER??!!?!' alongside a shocked face and some arrows pointing I feel a murderous rage.

Bosws87

Never really got into the youtube hype for years.

Recently however i have absolutely binged watch Bald & Bankrupt what an amazing channel his soviet playlist is a great watch from start to finish. (apparently according to reddit hes just a sex pest travelling the world but i ignore that part :lol:)

One of the most enjoyable things i've watched in ages maybe i should pay attention to the youtube world more often.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'm sure we'll see people going from doing their own thing on YouTube to the entertainment industry. I'm sure you can find some genuinely funny people on there who'll end up doing stuff on TV.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Luke1995

I'm sure we'll see people going from doing their own thing on YouTube to the entertainment industry. I'm sure you can find some genuinely funny people on there who'll end up doing stuff on TV.
Sure, probably. But some of them get so much hate for doing that... it seems like people haven't fully accepted Youtube as a measure of sucess

Bwuk

Wouldn’t be surprised if Jake Paul and McGregor was already agreed.

Easy win for McGregor and would improve his image in the public eye.

Panther

Gonna make a lot of assumptions here, but they probably apply to most people.

Whilst I do dislike celebrity culture and the idolisation of celebrities in any era, I don't really see anything wrong with "YouTube fame" in the wider context of fame and celebrity. People have always become famous for stuff that seems trivial and boring to older generations. YouTube fame is just an extension of celebrity culture, and YouTubers do provide entertainment to millions of people so having any issue with it is ridiculous. Yeah, some YouTubers do stupid stuff and act like idiots, but you won't find anywhere in music, entertainment, film, etc. which doesn't have it's fair share of people doing fecked up stuff. Most YouTubers are good people, making videos to entertain their fans and aren't harming anyone at all.

Assumptions and stereotypes here, plus not fully serious, but I would categorise people who hate YouTubers, YouTube fame, social media fame, etc. into two categories. Category 1 would be people who grew up in the 70s/80s who have strong nostalgia for the era and haven't quite moved on from it. People who like rock music, metal and think anything relatively modern like internet celebrities and rap music are garbage. Fail to realise that people got famous for stupid stuff between 1970-89, and celebrities were far worse people back then than they are now. Questions the lifestyle of rappers and thinks "rap music" isn't real music, without realising that they sound exactly like the older generations in the 70s who hated Rockstars and rock and roll.

Category 2 is people who grew up in the late 90s and 00s, the "I was born in the wrong generation" people, who think modern is trash and romanticises an era where the best parts are highlighted and the bad music, famous idiots and all the other bad stuff during that era have been forgotten. Hates YouTubers because they're "untalented" and rappers because they're "morally bankrupt" but won't look into what "Rockstars" did in their spare time.

That being said, the notion of "the modern celebrity" is just an illusion, people have and will always become famous for stuff that might seem mundane to a lot of people, that's how celebrity culture works. People will always find morally corrupt "celebrities" to idolise. Though, I would rather my child look up to an asshole like Jake Paul or KSI than to look up to someone like Jimmy Page.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
My youngest watches these youtube families. There's one, fgteev, the dad is quite a character and he clearly puts a hell of a lot of time into the production and they're a pretty nice family. I don't begrudge that channel at all.

Then on the other hand you have these awful channels with wannabee famous parents completely exploiting their kids right to privacy. "We had to get covid tests!" Was a legitimate title to one the other day.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
I had to pick my nephews up a few weeks back as we are providing childcare. I asked them both what they wanted to be when they got older. One said a footballer, and the other one said a Youtuber. Then I asked what they'd be if they couldn't be that. The footballer said a Youtuber, and the Youtuber said a footballer.

I suppose with people like KSI they see it as a lucrative career.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Wouldn’t be surprised if Jake Paul and McGregor was already agreed.

Easy win for McGregor and would improve his image in the public eye.
Of course it wouldn't. Any MMA fan would call it a farce that he takes on the fight and any non-MMA fan outside of Ireland doesn't know McGregor / doesn't give a feck about him.

I'd say 90% of "YouTube celebrities" are just talentless people doing stupid things to gain a fan base of even more stupid people. Seems to be a Gen Z thing though, I'm only 27 and have no clue how those people got famous in the first place.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I had to pick my nephews up a few weeks back as we are providing childcare. I asked them both what they wanted to be when they got older. One said a footballer, and the other one said a Youtuber. Then I asked what they'd be if they couldn't be that. The footballer said a Youtuber, and the Youtuber said a footballer.

I suppose with people like KSI they see it as a lucrative career.
I'm 41 and would also like to be a youtuber when I grow up. Well it worked for Robbie on AFTV and I'm pretty sure he's older than me. Looks it anyway.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's getting out of hand.

I went to tell my nephew goodnight and he told me to "like, share and subscribe".

Bwuk

Of course it wouldn't. Any MMA fan would call it a farce that he takes on the fight and any non-MMA fan outside of Ireland doesn't know McGregor / doesn't give a feck about him.

I'd say 90% of "YouTube celebrities" are just talentless people doing stupid things to gain a fan base of even more stupid people. Seems to be a Gen Z thing though, I'm only 27 and have no clue how those people got famous in the first place.
Disagree entirely. McGregor is a massive celebrity outside of MMA. He’s mainstream, and hes done a lot of unlikable things in the public eye over the last few years. Beating Paul who is a complete prick would do his image good.

I don’t agree about talentless. They’ve managed to garner themselves a large audience, and make a lot of money. That takes talent. They’ve cleverly influenced the rise of social media.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Disagree entirely. McGregor is a massive celebrity outside of MMA. He’s mainstream, and hes done a lot of unlikable things in the public eye over the last few years. Beating Paul who is a complete prick would do his image good.

I don’t agree about talentless. They’ve managed to garner themselves a large audience, and make a lot of money. That takes talent. They’ve cleverly influenced the rise of social media.
First part: he's really, really not a massive celebrity outside of MMA. Probably in Ireland, maybe in the UK too, but mainland Europe, not a chance. His antics don't make the mainstream news, there are legitimately close to 0 non-MMA fans who know about his existence. Goes for at least Belgium and its surrounding countries too as far as I'm aware.

Second part: so you think those people from Geordie Shore are talented too?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
First part: he's really, really not a massive celebrity outside of MMA. Probably in Ireland, maybe in the UK too, but mainland Europe, not a chance. His antics don't make the mainstream news, there are legitimately close to 0 non-MMA fans who know about his existence. Goes for at least Belgium and its surrounding countries too as far as I'm aware.

Belgium isn't all of Europe, Robin. There are other parts of Europe where MMA is a lot more popular and McGregor is surely one of the most famous sportsmen there outside of your usual soccer stars and national idols.

Bwuk

First part - utter nonsense. He has 37.8m followers on Instagram alone. More than Liverpool or Arsenal. He’s clearly a mainstream star.

Of course they are talented. Whether you like someone or not, it doesn’t matter. If they are able to engage a audience and sell product to them they are great salesmen.

I don’t watch Geordie Shore, but let’s take Gaz from it as an example. He’s built himself a career as a reality star over 10ish years, and made himself millions of pounds. If it’s that easy then why isn’t everyone doing it?