Yuri Zhirkov/Ştefan Radu/Philipp Lahm - The Evra Backup Thread

lao

Yuri Zhirkov/Ştefan Radu/Philipp Lahm - The Full-Back(up) Thread

So, seeing as Silvestre has been becoming more and more of a defensive liability during recent years, with potential suitors not yet completely out of the picture, is there a perfect choice of player to cover for our beloved french pussy?

Thought I'd mention three left-backs that has impressed:

Full Name Stefan Andrei Radu
Birth Date
October 22, 1986
Birth Place
Romania
Height
6' 0" (1.83m)
Weight
11 st (70 kg)
Position
Defender
Club
Lazio

Left-back or central defender that is branded 'the new Chivu'. Could cover for Evra and be used in in the central of defense during squad rotation games like domestic cups.

Full Name Yuri Zhirkov
Birth Date
August 20, 1983
Birth Place Russia
Height
6' 1" (1.85m)
Weight 11.8 st (75 kg)
Age 24
Position
Midfielder/Defender
Club CSKA Moscow

A player that has made himself a name during Russias successful euro spell. Could also provide left-footed cover in midfield since Giggs is the only one available at the moment.

Full Name Philipp Lahm
Birth Date November 11, 1983
Birth Place Germany
Height 5' 7" (1.70m)
Weight 9.6 st (61 kg)
Age 24
Position Defender
Club Bayern Munich

Versatile defender that can play on on both flanks which enables him to play regularly, competing with Neville and covering for Evra.

Any other ideas or suggestions? I dearly feel we need some quality backup since our Paddy can't play two games week in week out, I'm gutted everytime he connects to a challenge, and if - god forbid - he gets a long-term injury, we'll have to settle with O'Shea or Silvestre as regular left-backs for the rest of the campaign. Evans might do a job as well, but we could really use with someone of higher quality, preferably left-footed, that could cover for both Giggs and Evra.

karan316

I dont think Radu even played in the Euros, Rat was first choice leftback for Romania. Besides, Lazio only just bought him.

Lahm is clearly way too good to be a backup, and would also be very expensive.

Zhirkov is a good shout but again I dont know if he'd be content with a place on the bench.

lao

I dont think Radu even played in the Euros, Rat was first choice leftback for Romania. Besides, Lazio only just bought him.

Zhirkov is a good shout but again I dont know if he'd be content with a place on the bench.
I wasn't a hundred percent on Radu, just threw him in there since I seemed to remember a certain no. 22 playing really good on the left flank. Took for granted it was him, my bad.

Lahm would probably gain the right back spot on a regular basis, or at least rotate with Evra and Neville.

I would think Manchester United is a big step up from CSKA Moscow. Especially since he can gain games from both a left-back and left wing position.

VoetbalWizard

spot on.

lahm just signed a contract extension. he's not moving anywhere.

unrealistic IMO these three.

i am happy with silvestre at LB as a backup as will as o'shea and possibly johnny evans (plays out there for norn iron sometimes, can do a job).

lao

spot on.

lahm just signed a contract extension. he's not moving anywhere.

unrealistic IMO these three.

i am happy with silvestre at LB as a backup as will as o'shea and possibly johnny evans (plays out there for norn iron sometimes, can do a job).
You didn't read my entire post I reckon.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Yes I just read the title of the thread.

Which, btw, you might want to change.

botond

Radu is young and has potential to be a back up for United but thats all for now.He was on loan at Lazio , but they just agreed on full transfer a couple days ago
He played well at Lazio till now ....

VoetbalWizard

You didn't read my entire post I reckon.
i did read your entire post and disagree with your assertions that we don't have enough depth at LB. I think the names that we currently have their can cover for any long term injuries. we aren't like chelsea and can't have 24 top internationals in our squad.

i am comfortable with evra, tweety, oshea, evans as LB's.

as for giggs, he rarely stays wide anyways, and we have nani and park, as well as hargreaves who can play wide....not to mention ronaldo. 5 wide players for 2 'wide' positions is decent as well.

no, all funds for striker and cb/rb please. only after that, a winger.

lao

i did read your entire post and disagree with your assertions that we don't have enough depth at LB. I think the names that we currently have their can cover for any long term injuries. we aren't like chelsea and can't have 24 top internationals in our squad.

i am comfortable with evra, tweety, oshea, evans as LB's.

as for giggs, he rarely stays wide anyways, and we have nani and park, as well as hargreaves who can play wide....not to mention ronaldo. 5 wide players for 2 'wide' positions is decent as well.

no, all funds for striker and cb/rb please. only after that, a winger.
And could you please tell me how many of them that keep the width on the left flank and cross with the left foot. Cheers. :p

karan316

Lahm always seems to perform much, much better at left back for some reason. Which is why I don't want us to sign him as first choice RB, and obviously he's way too good to be backup for LB

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
Lahm always seems to perform much, much better at left back for some reason. Which is why I don't want us to sign him as first choice RB, and obviously he's way too good to be backup for LB
I wouldnt say that, he seems pretty good at right back. He would over lap but when playing as a left back when he gets forward he allows others to overlap him. Basically if he plays at left back you would want a genuinely left footed player on the left and if he plays at right then it doesnt really make a difference.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If Silvestre stays then we don't need a back up.

If he leaves then Zkirkov please.

karan316

I wouldnt say that, he seems pretty good at right back. He would over lap but when playing as a left back when he gets forward he allows others to overlap him. Basically if he plays at left back you would want a genuinely left footed player on the left and if he plays at right then it doesnt really make a difference.
What you say makes perfect sense logically, I'm just going by what I've actually seen of him. Both for Germany and Bayern. He plays well at right back, but absolutely outstanding at left back. When he's on the left he can go outside and cross and there's the added threat of him cutting in, but I rarely see him cutting in onto his left from the right. Defensively of course he is equally good on either flank.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
What you say makes perfect sense logically, I'm just going by what I've actually seen of him. Both for Germany and Bayern. He plays well at right back, but absolutely outstanding at left back. When he's on the left he can go outside and cross and there's the added threat of him cutting in, but I rarely see him cutting in onto his left from the right. Defensively of course he is equally good on either flank.
Basically he is Evra like with his attacking ability but also versatile, someone mentioned Javier Zanetti and Lahm is not unlike him. Which is high praise indeed.

Name Changed

weso26

I'd agree with this. We don't necessarily need a backup for Evra anyway. We have got John O'Shea and Johnny Evans who can play there, and also Silvestre if he doesn't leave.

AttackingFlair

Zhirkov played as a winger for his club but looks comfortable on the wing or as a fullback.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Lahm wouldn't be Evra's back-up, he'd give him a run for his place but most likely he'd settle for right-back position where he has played quite a lot both for his country and club.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I'm surprised at the lack of discussion about Zhirkov after he was rumored to say we were in for him (the commentator said it during the game). maybe he's looking for a move but he has ability.

He wasn't great tonight but he ran all game, seems to have good energy and is a good age. Youtube him...jking

It wouldn't shock me if we might be interested - he looks to have some talent Him and Evra bombing forward on the left though would be ridiculous

His major flaw though (though some will love it) is when people say his surname it sounds like jerk off

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'm surprised at the lack of discussion about Zhirkov after he was rumored to say we were in for him (the commentator said it during the game). maybe he's looking for a move but he has ability.

He wasn't great tonight but he ran all game, seems to have good energy and is a good age. Youtube him...jking

It wouldn't shock me if we might be interested - he looks to have some talent Him and Evra bombing forward on the left though would be ridiculous

His major flaw though (though some will love it) is when people say his surname it sounds like jerk off
I'd rather have Nani and Evra on the left wing, and so I'd only take him if he was a willing substitute. That all depends on how many teams are interested in him and ow many teams can guarantee him first team football. I think he'd be a good signing for Spurs.

Striker10

I'd rather have Nani and Evra on the left wing, and so I'd only take him if he was a willing substitute. That all depends on how many teams are interested in him and ow many teams can guarantee him first team football. I think he'd be a good signing for Spurs.
It's hard to say in all honesty how good the guy is and I agree about Nani. The fact the guys reported to have said that, you never know with Sir alex. It wouldn't shock me so much if he did something unexpected like this. We'll soon out soon enough though

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's hard to say in all honesty how good the guy is and I agree about Nani. The fact the guys reported to have said that, you never know with Sir alex. It wouldn't shock me so much if he did something unexpected like this. We'll soon out soon enough though
Well it's not all that unexpected, people have been talking about him since the group stages as a potential buy.

Striker10

Well it's not all that unexpected, people have been talking about him since the group stages as a potential buy.
true but for the player to come out himself, maybe he reads redcafe? ;) lol. We'll see - he's probably one of a few players that really made a name for themselves this tournament.

With silvestre looking likely to stay it's additionally unlikely but then silvestre can go cb so who knows. I've heard Sir Alex say Nani can play central. I don't know how we'd fit everyone in but no doubt spurs will probably have had a bid accepted tomorrow morning lol happens everytime

Name Changed

weso26
I'd agree with you. He definately does not have the quality to be in our first XI. A decent squad player, that would be the extent of his abilities.