Film Zack Snyder's REBEL MOON

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Denis villeneuve is about the only director I’d trust with any of that material. The problem is, some no-mark hack like Snyder, or Eli Roth, Ava Duvernay, John Lassiter, Will Smith, or a thousand other shitbirds would get the rights to the Culture and feck it up and make the property radioactive for decades.
villeneuve doing Children of Time would be incredible.
I believe he's adapting Dune Messiah if Dune Part 2 is successful, having read it though they'll need to take a whole load of liberties to make it filmable.

Oldyella

I believe he's adapting Dune Messiah if Dune Part 2 is successful, having read it though they'll need to take a whole load of liberties to make it filmable.
Will be a shame if he gets tied up in one franchise for several movies, as much as I loved Dune.

Wing Attack Plan R

They could combine Dune Messiah and Children of Dune as one movie, like the miniseries did in 2000. They have to be careful though and not turn it into some Dune expanded universe by using those shitty novels written by Kevin Anderson with Herbert's son. I think Messiah and Children were disappointing, and I could see the thirst for Dune things drying out if they tried to do those. The BBC did a version of those (I think) with The next trilogy it got interesting again. Would love to see them get to God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yeah not wasting any time watching this. Haven't seen a single positive comment from anyone anywhere.
On the caf or anywhere?

I've not seen it yet and in 2 minds. I've seen all the negative comments on here, buts it's the caf so gotta take it with a pinch of salt.

Andy_Cole

The Caf: I hate Zack Snyder and everything he makes is a piece of shit

Also the Caf: let’s waste the next 3 hours and watch Zack Snyders later movie

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Has he actually put his name in front of this or is it just the OP doing it? There are very few directors who justify the “X’s film title” tag and this guy doesn’t seem like one of them.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Has he actually put his name in front of this or is it just the OP doing it? There are very few directors who justify the “X’s film title” tag and this guy doesn’t seem like one of them.
I usually wonder that myself - especially after ZS’s Justice League (though that one was obviously more understandable) but I think it’s how it’s usually promoted and marketed in certain territories or on certain platforms (I think). Officially on the Netflix site (& IMDb) it just says Rebel Moon but I’ve seen promos where it was presented as ZS’s RM. In short, I haven’t a scooby and hopefully ZS isn’t that vain/delusional to brand it as such himself!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah not wasting any time watching this. Haven't seen a single positive comment from anyone anywhere.
My google algorithm fed me an article which basically collated all the most positive tweets about it. And there were some VERY positive tweets. People who’ve watched it multiple times already. It actually made me quite angry that there are people in the world who can watch something as obviously shite as this and try to argue it’s a work of art. How did we let that happen?!?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My google algorithm fed me an article which basically collated all the most positive tweets about it. And there were some VERY positive tweets. People who’ve watched it multiple times already. It actually made me quite angry that there are people in the world who can watch something as obviously shite as this and try to argue it’s a work of art. How did we let that happen?!?
I very much enjoy looking up 10/10 reviews for quite clearly terrible things to see this unique bunch of people who for some reason don't just love it but rate it as perfection. It's like being able to get inside the head of absolute madness.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I very much enjoy looking up 10/10 reviews for quite clearly terrible things to see this unique bunch of people who for some reason don't just love it but rate it as perfection. It's like being able to get inside the head of absolute madness.
It’s glimpse into the mind of the mentally damaged alright. A lot of them seem quite upset that the world has been denied a (presumably much longer) director’s cut. The absolute lunatics.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Snyder fans. For some bizarre reason he has a really strong following.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The pacifist robot was the only interesting thing and it was on screen for about 5 minutes.

Is this so shit that Disney wont even bother suing them for using lightsabers?

Lastwolf

I didn't like it. It's the supermodel with a 2/10 personality.

Snyder is such a weird filmmaker, he makes beautiful movies, that are dumb as hell, that I can't fully hate because I half loved some of it.

There's always an annoying number of good ideas, wrapped in utter shit tropey story elements executed with all the grace of brick to the back of the head. There are about 6 great movies I want to watch that this film introduces then ignores for a seven samurai clone in space that doesn't solve anything at all. Sir Antony Hopkins plays a pacifist murder robot that takes up arms again, breaking his people's moral code and solemn almost religous vow, to rescue a girl about to be raped in the opening 20 minutes, he then runs off and we next see him 1.5seconds before the credits.

The entire story is. A downtrodden defenceless farming moon is about to be crushed by space Nazis,so they send off their best gal (who also happens to be an ex-Nazi) to collect a rag tag group of outlaws and vagabond heroes to train and defend them against all the odds. Great, we've seen it 900 times but who gives a feck, Last of Us is lone wolf and cub 7001 and I still loved it.

Except they never make it back to the village, that’s in part 2. The betrayal was so hilariously telegraphed, it was like waiting for a bus to come along on a Sunday. The Middle Bad Guy they defeat, in the climax of the film, is dead for a solid 7 minutes before being revived. The rag tag bunch of heroes are now mostly dead and the survivors think they won so they have zero motivation to stick around (they setup that village getting nuked from space soo hard, then didn't do it ... crime) Do they not realise that bad guys will be back for their 10,000 bushels of grain (which sounds like a lot but is about what a 300 acre farm would produce, to put this into context, Jeremy Clarkson’s bullshit farm is 1000acres) so to recap, the Space Nazis sent their flag ship across the vastness of space for a rapey Tesco run for the equivalent of a packet of cigarettes, why?

The action scenes are amazing, and the score is baller as all hell but if you could remove all the dialogue and cut all the exposition this would be the most epic 25 minutes of a music video I've ever seen, and I’d have zero complaints. But alas people speak so, here we go.

This entire movie is 2hrs and 15 minutes of a flashy intro sequence for the next part, setting the stage and showing the players involved, but forgot to make us and the characters really care. They spent about eight seconds talking each of the band into joining a hopeless fight against all odds. "we are all going to die, but JUSTICE" "you convinced me" NEXT!.

Our main character is an ex-Nazi that deserted the cause and/or because she was setup by her forcibly adoptive Father for the murder of the King (and possible maiming of his daughter) so he could usurp power and continue the forever war of expansion that the King's hippy daughter heir clearly wouldn't have perpetuated. Solid enough.

Now, that's not really in the movie.

You see, it's the joining thread between the titbits of her backstory, we don't know the why or the how, so technically as far as we, the audience, know she didn't renounce her Nazi ways at all, she might just be bitter about being a Patsy. It's fairly clear that she refused to aid in the murder plot or tried to save/saved the princess, thus failing her father's loyalty test and was used as a convenient scape goat to cover up the assassination but we uhm, never find that out. It's probably in the next movie, but how is that good story telling? We don't even know why our main hero is a hero after a full movie ABOUT HER!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
On the caf or anywhere?

I've not seen it yet and in 2 minds. I've seen all the negative comments on here, buts it's the caf so gotta take it with a pinch of salt.
Every review I have seen anywhere has been pretty bad, nobody thinks its good. I watched it, its not good but its not horrific. If you are a Zach Snyder fan there are bits in it you will like, if you dont like Zach Snyder there wont be anything in it you like. I couldnt find anything else to watch and the problem I have is that now I have watched it I want to see the next one in the series.

jeepers

I stopped around the 45 minute mark, I think it was the protagonist recounting her past.

I might try to finish it but I found it cliched and tedious. Dialogue was horrible.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I stopped around the 45 minute mark, I think it was the protagonist recounting her past.

I might try to finish it but I found it cliched and tedious. Dialogue was horrible.
I got a bit confused about which was worse, the dialogue or the acting. I think they were probably both as bad as each other. The other thing that made it eventually unwatchable was how incredibly seriously it took itself. So po-faced and boring. Couldn’t be more different to Star Wars, the movie it emulates. Which had a great balance of lighter moments and darkness. This was just one big vomit of one paced, over the top, moody melodrama. The emo version of Star Wars.

Jotun

I got a bit confused about which was worse, the dialogue or the acting. I think they were probably both as bad as each other. The other thing that made it eventually unwatchable was how incredibly seriously it took itself. So po-faced and boring. Couldn’t be more different to Star Wars, the movie it emulates. Which had a great balance of lighter moments and darkness. This was just one big vomit of one paced, over the top, moody melodrama. The emo version of Star Wars.
Isn't that basically what Snyder is? All of his movies are overly melodramatic, even the Army of the Dead takes it self too seriously for what it is supposed to be. I'm not a big fan of movie humor (and I like serious movies), but Zack is too much even for me.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't lie I loved Man of Steel, liked Dawn of the Dead and thought it was a solid remake, I like parts of 300 and Watchmen, even parts of Batman Vs Superman and his Justice League... but this? It's really bad like nearly Suckerpunch bad.

It's the dialogue, it's corny as feck! I could sit through it easily if it wasn't for that... just had my cringing and eye rolling (hope I'm not turning into one of you film snob cnuts).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Isn't that basically what Snyder is? All of his movies are overly melodramatic, even the Army of the Dead takes it self too seriously for what it is supposed to be. I'm not a big fan of movie humor (and I like serious movies), but Zack is too much even for me.
I’m not really familiar with his work. Never watched any of his Superman stuff. I hated Army of the Dead. Only lasted about 30 minutes. Still can’t quite believe I watched so much of this before tapping out. Probably mainly because a) I was stoned and b) I love sci Fi. So if he couldn’t keep me as a viewer for the whole film then he really fecked up.

Edit: I liked 300 a lot. But that was a very long time ago. When good special effects on their own could make a mediocre movie seem great.

Jotun

I’m not really familiar with his work. Never watched any of his Superman stuff. I hated Army of the Dead. Only lasted about 30 minutes. Still can’t quite believe I watched so much of this before tapping out. Probably mainly because a) I was stoned and b) I love sci Fi. So if he couldn’t keep me as a viewer for the whole film then he really fecked up.

Edit: I liked 300 a lot. But that was a very long time ago. When good special effects on their own could make a mediocre movie seem great.
I find his movies visually spectacular, but ultimately very bland and lacking depth. The only movie of his I genuinely liked is Watchmen and I'd probably rate it as one of the best comic book movies ( however fans seem to not like it, I don't read comics). I'd guess with watchmen he had excellent source material, he couldn't bring it down.

As for 300 I could barely finish it. I think I watched it in 4 sittings and back then I had much more patience. I really don't understand why people loved it so much.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
When criticising this Directors work , critics always put up his visual style as his major strong point which confuses the shit out of me.
Visually I find his film overly filtered and heavy on the eyes.

The guy has no redeeming features as a director/visualist/ storyteller, imo.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
General Zod invades the planet and only 300 brave warriors can stop it... riveting.

Back to Watchmen and Zack's Justice League for now.

Simbo

Kinda liked it, I thank you all for setting my expectations so low.

Bert_

I thought people might be exaggerating how bad it is. They were not!

Might have worked as parody if there was any humour in it.