Zarate

prateik

to lazio for 20m :eek:

The Lazio president Claudio Lotito has revealed that a deal for the Argentinian striker Mauro Zárate is almost sealed and believes the former Birmingham player will be "better than Lionel Messi". A verbal agreement is already in place with the player's current club Al Sadd, and Zárate, who spent the last five months of the season on loan at St Andrew's and has been linked with Portsmouth this summer, is expected to move to the Italian capital once the formalities are completed.

Lotito believes the 21-year-old will be even more successful than his Argentinian compatriot Messi, who was runner-up in the 2007 Fifa Player of the Year award. "We won't announce anything until we have deposited his contract with the authorities," Lotito told Corriere dello Sport. "We are used to announcing a new signing only after the contract has been completed and that hasn't happened yet.

"But, save any complications, we are on the right path to signing the player. The figures that have been reported by the press don't represent the reality. The terms of the agreement foresee a valuation of the player which will rise to around €25m [£20m] because Zárate will turn out better than Lionel Messi."

crazy money

AttackingFlair

Their justification of this signing is that they think he will be better than Messi. I disagree strongly.

They should have just came out saying he was a special signing instead of over hyping him to that extent.

Looks very talented though and I'm surprised he's going to Lazio. As for the price, well top talents with potential are going around the £20m range these days anyway. Nani, Anderson, Aguero etc

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Great place to showcase his talents before moving on to somewhere bigger if he is the real deal. And seeing as it says the deal will be up to £20m there will be various clauses so I expect it to be an initial £10m or so. Hardly crazy money for a top prospect like him who is already good enough to be scoring goals regularly.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
If he wants it enough, knuckles down - will be some player don't you worry about that.

prateik

he was decent .. one of birminghams better players , but thats not saying much

he had joined al saad for something like 10m 2 years back..

everyone clearly thinks he has a lot of potential but he didnt do anything special in his time here ..

he isnt a top talent , 20m is way too much for him

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
he was decent .. one of birminghams better players , but thats not saying much

he had joined al saad for something like 10m 2 years back..

everyone clearly thinks he has a lot of potential but he didnt do anything special in his time here ..

he isnt a top talent , 20m is way too much for him
He joined Al Saad because they offered him a big whack of money and plenty of people in Argentina were surprised because they thought he was good enough to play in Europe.

He did more than enough to prove he was a top talent, yet he was dropped by Alex McLeish for Gary O'Connor because he 'needed fighters in his team rather than goalscorers':rolleyes:. He was very, very good though.

AttackingFlair

He's shown flashes of absolute brilliance and at times has looked better than anyone else on the pitch in some of his matches.

At 21 years old he could be extremely fecking good in the future with more consistency.

Ekeke

He's shown flashes of absolute brilliance and at times has looked better than anyone else on the pitch in some of his matches.

At 21 years old he could be extremely fecking good in the future with more consistency.
But he's also had matches where even for Birmingham, he was invisible and subbed off at half time. He's got a good shot on him and has quick feet when he dribbles but he's no more than a good player with the potential a lot of players have at 21.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
He played around 14 games for Birmingham and showed flashes of brilliance. Not enough time for any of us to determine what he is worth, I know I for one did not watch all of those games in full.

AttackingFlair

But he's also had matches where even for Birmingham, he was invisible and subbed off at half time. He's got a good shot on him and has quick feet when he dribbles but he's no more than a good player with the potential a lot of players have at 21.
And that's probably why he's going around for a price like £20m which is close to the likes of Nani's fee etc

REd FUn DevIl

Zarate has some skills and is pretty good but nowhere near Messi class.

Ekeke

And that's probably why he's going around for a price like £20m which is close to the likes of Nani's fee etc
Its because of who owns him. He has quite significantly less potential than Nani in my opinion due to being a number 10, who you'd normally want as a hard worker and someone who gets involved as well as having a really good creative pass. Instead Zarate goes invisible (but he is young) and has a fairly decent pass. Though with regards to Nani, it could be said that he too had a few matches where he was invisible/awful for 45 minutes and taken off.

AttackingFlair

Its because of who owns him. He has quite significantly less potential than Nani in my opinion due to being a number 10, who you'd normally want as a hard worker and someone who gets involved as well as having a really good creative pass. Instead Zarate goes invisible (but he is young) and has a fairly decent pass. Though with regards to Nani, it could be said that he too had a few matches where he was invisible/awful for 45 minutes and taken off.
I don't agree with that but I accept your opinion. I'll leave it at that.

Striker10

I personally don't think so and I trust in how good nani can/could be.

Ekeke

Fair enough. I just think Nani has a lot more going for him in his position than Zarate has in his. And is already far closer to being recognised as one of the better players in his position, than Zarate.

Striker10

Fair enough. I just think Nani has a lot more going for him in his position than Zarate has in his. And is already far closer to being recognised as one of the better players in his position, than Zarate.
Well zarate is primarily a striker, nani winger. Zarate clearly chose wrong with his clubs, but we'll see next season his progression, albeit I don't rate the current lazio squad. It's also alot harder breaking into the Argentina side then Portugal.

His ability is very good, especially dribbling. Am happy with nani but, it should suprise no one really if in a year or two the price looks a snip

bbest

The Caf's worst songwriter
I simply can't see how anyone can claim Nani has more potential than Zarate when they don't even lay the same roles in their teams. Just like I'm baffled anyone would dare compare him to Messi
Chief, the agent is probably banking on the Messi-que skill displayed by Zarate during his spell at Birmingham, so the comparison.

Ekeke

I simply can't see how anyone can claim Nani has more potential than Zarate when they don't even lay the same roles in their teams. Just like I'm baffled anyone would dare compare him to Messi
It was clearly stated that I feel Nani has more potential as a winger than Zarate has as a number 10. I didn't mention Bramble or Zidane.

Longlivekeano

Zarate has 3 different probable future routes as a rising Argentinian hyped player.

1) Go the way of totally legendary world class Argentinian forwards such as Diego Maradona (Napoli), Mairo Kempes (Valencia), Gabriel Omar Batistuta (Fiorentina, Roma), Hernan Crespo (many clubs) in becoming a lethal footballer

2) Shine brightly for 1/2 years, be touted as the next Maradona before fading away into piss poor quality such Juan Pablo Aimar, Martin Palermo, Javier Saviola, Clauido Lopez (Valencia, Lazio)

3) Have an average to international class footballin career such as Tevez, Caniggia,

GloryHunter07

Zarate has 3 different probable future routes as a rising Argentinian hyped player.

1) Go the way of totally legendary world class Argentinian forwards such as Diego Maradona (Napoli), Mairo Kempes (Valencia), Gabriel Omar Batistuta (Fiorentina, Roma), Hernan Crespo (many clubs) in becoming a lethal footballer

2) Shine brightly for 1/2 years, be touted as the next Maradona before fading away into piss poor quality such Juan Pablo Aimar, Martin Palermo, Javier Saviola, Clauido Lopez (Valencia, Lazio)

3) Have an average to international class footballin career such as Tevez, Caniggia,
What a player... can we sign his re incarnation please?