Zinedine Zidane | Resigns

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Could anyone she'd some light on his managerial ability and tactical coaching etc?

He's the favourite to take over from Mourinho which seems to be a matter of time now.

I mean Zidane at United sounds mental even if it is only as a manager.
He clearly has ability but it’s hardly been tested, when you have a team likes Reals with leaders like Ramos and Ronaldo clearly in your side that’s takes a lot of pressure off and makes your job easier. I would love to see him in the PL but honestly have no idea how he would do at United.

SirAF

Ageist
He clearly has ability but it’s hardly been tested, when you have a team likes Reals with leaders like Ramos and Ronaldo clearly in your side that’s takes a lot of pressure off and makes your job easier. I would love to see him in the PL but honestly have no idea how he would do at United.
That's the biggest con I feel - but then again Benitez completely tanked with the same squad so Zidane must obviously have some terrific man management skills.

podurban2

Reasons for me;
- Keeping hold of Pogba and putting him back to earth (hopefully)
- Able to attract top players from foreign markets
- Grow our commercial profile stronger than ever

minoo-utd

We don't know him or anyone would do at United right now. Players also seem so much limited and not good enough.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The problem isn't the type of football we play.

Van gaal won with his brand of football. So has Mourinho.

The problem is man management. We need someone who the players will respect and respond to, someone who gets the best out of what he has amd plays to their strengths. Zidane could be that man.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Rafa Benitez didn't fare too well at Real with Ronaldo and Ramos. Zidanes achievements at Real are remarkable imo. I'm just wondering how he is when it comes to playing style and coaching etc.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Rafa Benitez didn't fare too well at Real with Ronaldo and Ramos. Zidanes achievements at Real are remarkable imo. I'm just wondering how he is when it comes to playing style and coaching etc.
Yeah but Zidane has been at Real how long? A Madrid and France hero and from what I’ve seen very charasmatic and a different generation to Rafa. Rafa was simply hated from the very day he was appointed Real manager. I’m not saying Zidane wouldn’t work out but it’s cerrainly a gamble.

Last edited:

Paxi

Yeah but Zidane has been at Real how long? A Madrid and France hero and from what I’ve seen very charasmatic and a different generation to Rafa. Rafa wasn’t simply hated from the very day he was appointed Real manager. I’m not saying Zidane wouldn’t work out but it’s cerrainly a gamble.
Yeah I know Zidanes been at Madrid for ages but still he's achieved all these things not because he's charismatic but cause he's obviously very adept at the whole manager thing. I think he'll suceed here or elsewhere.

Red_toad

Yeah but Zidane has been at Real how long? A Madrid and France hero and from what I’ve seen very charasmatic and a different generation to Rafa. Rafa wasn’t simply hated from the very day he was appointed Real manager. I’m not saying Zidane wouldn’t work out but it’s cerrainly a gamble.
Moyes, Van Gaal and Jose can all be viewed as gambles. There are no 100% assured to win everything managers. I'd say even if Pep was hired at United tomorrow, he'd be on for one heck of a struggle.

fellaini's barber

You saying raising our hopes but honestly I have serious reservations that this would be anything like the right appointment.
Yeah, I was with it initially but I think I'd prefer Poch if we could steal him off Levy. I mean we could if our board or Woody were good at this football stuff at all

Bein news say initial contact has been made
Not sure I take those guys serious

Paxi

Why are the Zidane threads being bumped has there been any actual news? Stop raising our hopes ffs
Well actually this is his performance thread and the other is related to him potentially ta
Yeah, I was with it initially but I think I'd prefer Poch if we could steal him off Levy. I mean we could if our board or Woody were good at this football stuff at all

Not sure I take those guys serious
Poch isn't happening imo. 15 million or so to Jose and 40 million to Spurs. Nah that's not going to happen when you can pick up Zidane as a free agent.

fellaini's barber

Well actually this is his performance thread and the other is related to him potentially ta

Poch isn't happening imo. 15 million or so to Jose and 40 million to Spurs. Nah that's not going to happen when you can pick up Zidane as a free agent.
Thing is if we really wanted Poch, we would have started the process like two years ago, unsettled him, stop him from renewing his contract etc. Same way other big clubs pre plan their managers. Our approach in hiring is like you said, hiring the next free agent which is a dumb approach. You'd think we've learnt after LVG and Jose

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Hearing from a Juve supporting friend rumours about how Juve's DOF is getting pushed out and Zizou is expected to replace him. Seems like a weird one.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Hearing from a Juve supporting friend rumours about how Juve's DOF is getting pushed out and Zizou is expected to replace him. Seems like a weird one.
Wouldn’t surprise me. Didn’t he start his non-playing career at Madrid in some exec role before assistant coaching and running the Castilla? Would be a familiar pathway biding time till Allegri moves on and familiarising himself with the squad and youth sides.

Can certainly see the appeal to him over our mess. The conditions are totally opposite to us.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Zidane was a sporting director of Real Madrid ..during Jose Mourinho's second and third season there lol So this job is not something new for him if this rumour is true and it seems a natural step before he takes over the coaching role from Allegri next summer...

Kapardin

Zidane was a sporting director of Real Madrid ..during Jose Mourinho's second and third season there lol So this job is not something new for him if this rumour is true and it seems a natural step before he takes over the coaching role from Allegri next summer...
However, Zidane recently said he would return to a coaching job soon. Contradicts this rumour.

We can hire Jardim then, he's my #1 pick actually.

SER19

I see all the reservations about zidane. His cl record can’t be taken from him. But we really don’t know how good he is so he’s a gamble for sure. His big positives though are his gravitas, he has done it all as a player and manager. He’s basically a living legend in the game. He has big club experience and titles. And people keep saying ‘all I want is attacking football even if we don’t win things’, so what’s the problem? I think people are being disingenuous when they say all they want is attacking football, pretending to be purists. They want success and aren’t sure zidane could bring it

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Well, half way there - Marotta has gone.

el3mel

Looks legit and can see it happening.

Will Giggsy accept to leave Wales to manage us ? :D :D

The Bloody-Nine

I see all the reservations about zidane. His cl record can’t be taken from him. But we really don’t know how good he is so he’s a gamble for sure. His big positives though are his gravitas, he has done it all as a player and manager. He’s basically a living legend in the game. He has big club experience and titles. And people keep saying ‘all I want is attacking football even if we don’t win things’, so what’s the problem? I think people are being disingenuous when they say all they want is attacking football, pretending to be purists. They want success and aren’t sure zidane could bring it
The problem is that the people who say that are full of shit. A few months of 'entertaining' losing football and watch how quickly they turn.

SER19

The problem is that the people who say that are full of shit. A few months of 'entertaining' losing football and watch how quickly they turn.
Ya like liverpol in recent years and their success. Was talking to a liverpol fan recently actually who said hed prefer playing exciting football than winning the league like chelsea in 05 and 06 or city under pellegrini or the odd fergie title. He looked like he was about to cry as he made his point, like he knew it was a lie.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Could anyone she'd some light on his managerial ability and tactical coaching etc?

He's the favourite to take over from Mourinho which seems to be a matter of time now.

I mean Zidane at United sounds mental even if it is only as a manager.
He got the best out of his best players by playing them in positions/roles, that they are most comfortable in. He isn't the kind of manager, who tries to micro-manage every step that top players make, but trusts them to perform in a proper lineup. He ended the nonsense of starting Kroos+Modric as midfield duo, which was clearly not working and added Casemiro despite not being individually as shiny as Isco. Modric and Kroos dont need much coaching once they have someone who is covering for them. Same with Ronaldo+Benz. He made good use of the whole squad, the prime example was Lucas Vázquez, who was an important part of their success despite his lack of individual quality.

He is not the kind of manager like Pep or Sarri, who have one specific vision how the team has to play and every player has to follow that. He keeps things a bit more simple and allows his players more freedom to express themselves.