Zinedine Zidane | Resigns

NYAS

I’m not criticizing his achievements, and it’s a team game so I’m not talking about it being his fault, but when it comes to these debates that the Caf loves to have about whether or not he’s the “greatest football personality of all time” it just means that you can’t really say “he’s won all there is to win”, can you?

I’m being pedantic but it’s the truth.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He’s clearly a very good man manager, getting the best out of what he has. Tactically has he got that top level know how? Honestly I don’t know, but sorry how the feck can he be compared to managers like Fergie, Pep or Jose is just BS. He needs to prove it elsewhere before he comes anywhere near that level... 3 CLs in a row or not.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No worries, Real will just buy out the contract, like when they took Bale or Modric from you.

Could be good business by Levy, because although you look very likely now to lose Pochettino, you'll get a good price for him that you can invest into the new stadium project.

Happy days!
I love posts like this when you can call people out on their lack of knowledge on the game. Laughable.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Got the feeling he gambled on France crashing out in the WC, Deschamps sacked and him taking over. Not saying that's the reason why he left Real - that was the right decision anyway - but pretty sure he had that option in mind somehow.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Got the feeling he gambled on France crashing out in the WC, Deschamps sacked and him taking over. Not saying that's the reason why he left Real - that was the right decision anyway - but pretty sure he had that option in mind somehow.
Deschamps was never gonna get sacked. He recently got an extension anyway. He is loved and appreciated by the FFF president

PepG

Supports
Ajax
The national team of France is probably in his plans as his last job as a coach but first he needs to manage in a club football a bit more. Juventus is the natural choice for him... It is nailed for Zizou to be their next coach when Allegri is off..

lewwoo

I know the stuff in the press about the board sounding him out is more than likely rubbish but would people like him at Utd after Jose?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I know the stuff in the press about the board sounding him out is more than likely rubbish but would people like him at Utd after Jose?
I honestly struggle to see the connection between United and Zidane.I don't think he ever looked like he cared about England and its league.Yes he loved Scholes but that's about it.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I honestly struggle to see the connection between United and Zidane.I don't think he ever looked like he cared about England and its league.Yes he loved Scholes but that's about it.
It's the same for most foreign managers in the PL, and any league. Unless you have a policy of bringing managers who have a history with the club it shouldn't matter.

It might be difficult to convince him though, as he doesn't look like your typical mercenary or workaholic coach.

Red_toad

I had the same struggle with the Moyes appointment!
That said he’s not going to manage another club in Spain, so his options are France, Italy or England.

Nick7

Why would there need to be a connection?

RoyH1

I think his english is not very good. Part of his struggles with Bale was that they didn't have a language to communicate in.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
It might be difficult to convince him though, as he doesn't look like your typical mercenary or workaholic coach.
Yeah that's what i meant, he doesn't look like he will pursue all the top jobs in the world for a paycheck or the "prestige".Before Madrid the rumors were about Bordeaux or Marseille.Perez shafting Benitez accelerated evrything.I think he has outgrown any french club with his Madrid stint and won't bother so the only options left are Juventus or France.I'm sure he will go through both of them: France in 2020/22 and then some honorary role at Juve.

El Zoido

I know it sounds crazy after his achievements at Madrid, but I’m still not convinced by him as a manager. I couldn’t possibly imagine him having a good time of it here, I think it’d be a complete disaster to be honest.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I know it sounds crazy after his achievements at Madrid, but I’m still not convinced by him as a manager. I couldn’t possibly imagine him having a good time of it here, I think it’d be a complete disaster to be honest.
It's a fair point.

This is a rebuilding job which he doesn't have much experience of.

Think he would be great for France though and help them push on.

RoyH1

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I mean not speaking the language is not the biggest of obstacles, especially since there are a lot of French-speakers on the team and the rest can be done through a translator but I can't see him living in England. If he returns to coaching it will probably be in Italy or for the French NT. He's already achieved more in three years than most will accomplish in their lifetime, so who knows if he's even interested in coaching again for the long-term.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Nor I, for all intents and purposes he didn't really do a lot at Madrid. Players gushed about how "inspirational" he was and how he made them "feel", but none were willing to praise his tactical nous, or his rigorous methods in training or his preparation for the next game. No one could really tell you what he actually did. In short, if he had a job where he needed to do more than simply be there - like with us - he would do poorly.

Last edited:

redchamp

Nor I, for all intents and purposes he didn't really do a lot at Madrid. Players gushed about how "inspirational" he was and how he made them "feel", but none were willing to praise his tactical nous, or his rigorous methods in training or in preparation for the next game. No one could really tell you what he actually did. In short, if he had a job where he needed to do more than simply be there - like with us - he would do poorly.
Hit the nail on the head. His main asset is inspiration, and particularly at Real, a voice they all had to respect.

He also had a phenomenal squad at Real, really think he would struggle with our squad.

Mr. Ant

I think he'll take over at Juventus next season, Jose leaves and we hire Allegri.
People already complain that Jose's football is boring, it would be even worse under Allegri.

Just ask some Juventus fans, they hate him for the lack of attacking in big matches.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
People already complain that Jose's football is boring, it would be even worse under Allegri.

Just ask some Juventus fans, they hate him for the lack of attacking in big matches.
They are basically similar managers while Allegri has better interpersonal skills and less of a prick. That probably matters for Ed who cares about not getting slagged off in the media while he is working on transfers.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I think Zidane had absolutely superb in-game management. He repeatedly shifted the focus of the game by introducing Bale, Vazquez or Asensio and using them in very effective roles.

He was also willing to change the system when it didn‘t work.

Mourinho was 4231, Ancelotti was 433 first and 4231 later with Kroos-Modric pivot and James in the hole.

Zidane used formations again which were long forgotten at the super clubs. His 41212 diamond was very good in 2017 and he also used the flat 442 to great effect.

Plus he continued to play, Benzema despite everybody (including me) criticizing him. Benzema was the one who made those formations work, you could see it when it was Ronaldo together with Bale or Morata up front, it wasn‘t nearly as smooth.

Quite funny that some people slacked off Benzema all season, then he scores because of his forward pressing in the deciding CL semi and in the CL final. Of course those were GK howlers, but not every player presses as much.

Canagel

Of course. He should be the number 1 target when Mourinho is done here.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Plus he continued to play, Benzema despite everybody (including me) criticizing him. Benzema was the one who made those formations work, you could see it when it was Ronaldo together with Bale or Morata up front, it wasn‘t nearly as smooth.
Zidane to lead France at the Euros 2020 and he recalls Giroud to lead the line :drool:

Needham

It would be astonishing the players we could attract and the reboot Utd would get if he gets the job once Jose funks it.

meninred

I read somewhere there are two clubs that can play without a coach - Madrid and Barca.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Could anyone she'd some light on his managerial ability and tactical coaching etc?

He's the favourite to take over from Mourinho which seems to be a matter of time now.

I mean Zidane at United sounds mental even if it is only as a manager.