Zinedine Zidane | Resigns

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe it was made up by the media, thats what I read when he signed the new contract.
Even if it's made up the possibility is still there to go to Real Madrid if he really wants to.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Not that his new contract is really that much of an obstacle. Real could simply stump up the £30 million it would take to buy out his contract and Levy won't have a leg to stand on.

Whether Real would opt to pay that amount of money for a new coach is another matter of course.
It would be closer to £40m: 5 years at up to £8.5m per year.

But I agree, money aside the contract isn't the issue because Spurs won't want to keep him if he wanted to go - it's just not practical. But he won't want to go.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
There is no such clause. It's a made-up fantasy to provide media click-bait.
No worries, Real will just buy out the contract, like when they took Bale or Modric from you.

Could be good business by Levy, because although you look very likely now to lose Pochettino, you'll get a good price for him that you can invest into the new stadium project.

Happy days!

tomaldinho1

No worries, Real will just buy out the contract, like when they took Bale or Modric from you.

Could be good business by Levy, because although you look very likely now to lose Pochettino, you'll get a good price for him that you can invest into the new stadium project.

Happy days!
Then, in a shock twist, Wenger joins Spurs and gets to lead another London club into their new stadium. Imagine the scenes on AFTV.

El Pasillo

11 hour has gone since ZZ announced his resignation & Bale has not made a single statement about it on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram

But earlier from today, Bale congratulated Lucas Vazquez for his newborn baby

Few hours later, he was bantering with Kroos who spoke on him speaking Spanish.

All Real Madrid players from the 1st team and their farewell message to Zidane

Last edited:

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Just woke up to this news, wow didn't see this coming at all. Talking about bowing out on a high.

MrEleson

11 hour has gone since ZZ announced his resignation & Bale has not made a single statement about it on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram

Yeah I’ve been reading that after Bale’s MOTM performance in the CL final, Perez asked him to build the team around the Welshman and gradually phase CR out to which he refused. There were other disagreements he had with the club regarding transfers which ultimately pushed him to wanting out.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah I’ve been reading that after Bale’s MOTM performance in the CL final, Perez asked him to build the team around the Welshman and gradually phase CR out to which he refused. There were other disagreements he had with the club regarding transfers which ultimately pushed him to wanting out.
No doubt it was the Ronaldo/Bale situation and the Benzema situation, I think personally he chose to walk rather than make the choices that he had to make. Benzema and him were particularly close and while he did a good job in his role his goal return in the league for a striker at Madrid simply isn’t good enough.

I’d say if Ronaldo had of scored the goals and Bale wasn’t the MOTM ZZ would still be there.

Someone

Something
Not sure why people think it's a brilliant decision. With these things only the future could tell. If he ends up failing with the first top club he manages after madrid, his achievements won't hold the same weight anymore.

Real madrid need rebuilding and it's a massive challenge, and going through a transition and succeeding again made fergie really unique, and i'd have loved to see zidane take on that challenge.

ti vu

Not sure why people think it's a brilliant decision. With these things only the future could tell. If he ends up failing with the first top club he manages after madrid, his achievements won't hold the same weight anymore.

Real madrid need rebuilding and it's a massive challenge, and going through a transition and succeeding again made fergie really unique, and i'd have loved to see zidane take on that challenge.
He can fail badly with Madrid if he stays if the talk about Perez asked him to do thing he doesn't want to is true. Problem with the whole rebuilding thing is the architect is not Zidane. So out now and wait for an unresistable job is better than risk his great CV being stained.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Honestly, I really think Zidane left because he knows he’s too close and friendly with the players at the club that he doesn't have it in him to sell those players and damage relationships.

He’s become accustomed to winning with the players there thus why he barely even spent as manager - Real Madrid’s manager, who always have a chest of funds to spend from.

...here’s a thread regarding Zidane’s greatness which I’ll fully post:
Zidane started his coaching career without having a preseason to explain his tactics to the players, and yet, he still managed to evacuate Madrid from the turmoil, to beat Barça and challenge for the title until the final day and win La Undécima. Whatever it took, he got it done.
Since taking over at Madrid, Zidane spent €74.5 million on three players (Morata, Theo, Ceballos).
In that same timeframe, West Ham have spent nearly twice as much on players (€140.3 million).
So while other “elite tacticians” will begin the summer holding their owners’ feet to the fire for a larger transfer kitty, “chequebook manager” Zinedine Zidane quietly ends his first coaching spell, achieving more in 2.5 years than most coaches will in 25.
Real Madrid have not had a transfer binge since 2014 where Florentino Pérez signed James Rodríguez, Toni Kroos and Keylor Navas for €110m. After coping with last summer’s exits of James, Pepe, Danilo & Morata, it was clear Zidane was entitled to a shopping spree this summer.
Zinedine Zidane walks away from Real Madrid after having unlocked the potential of the squad that was given to him. He didn’t beg for respect, he isn’t chasing a €150m midfielder in order to unlock the potential of the €105m midfielder he bought in 2016, he just made it work.
Will Madrid appoint another academy coach/club legend in Guti? Or will they pursue a more proven manager like Jardim? It’s not clear, but either choice will fall short of the Olympian standards their predecessor set in place.
Zinedine Zidane will never get the credit he deserves, and he doesn’t even care. Some men are born champions—greatness is in their DNA.

Fecking legend.

Take a bow!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Worthy of a second posting, think:

Portrait of an icon: Zinedine Zidane
Football365 said:
Zidane is one of the greatest players in the history of the game; that statement is so obvious it lacks any punch. Pele calls him “the master”, while Carlo Ancelotti believes him to be the most technically able footballer of all time. Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Marcel Desailly, Didier Deschamps and Mesut Ozil have all named him either the best player of their generation or their idol.

“When Zidane stepped onto the pitch,” Zlatan Ibrahimovic once said, “the ten other guys just got suddenly better. It is that simple. It was magic. He was a unique player. He was more than good, he came from another planet. His teammates became like him when he was on the pitch.”
More:
https://www.football365.com/news/portrait-of-an-icon-zinedine-zidane

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Honestly, I really think Zidane left because he knows he’s too close and friendly with the players at the club that he doesn't have it in him to sell those players and damage relationships.

He’s become accustomed to winning with the players there thus why he barely even spent as manager - Real Madrid’s manager, who always have a chest of funds to spend from.

Fecking legend.

Take a bow!
Yeah, I think we're in danger of criminally underrating Zidane based on the quality of player he's had at his disposal when his European achievements remain largely unmatched in the modern era.

If there's one criticism of him, it'd be that he's jumped shipped before conducting what would've probably been a very tricky and risky rebuilding job with a squad that has a lot of ageing stars who realistically don't have a lot left at the top of the game, but if we're criticising top managers for jumping ship before rebuilding then Mourinho and Guardiola (of course widely regarded as the two of the greatest managers in the game) would be absolutely savaged considering they've never remained at the club for more than three or four years. As would most modern managers, considering the general trend is to achieve instant success and then move on before things fall apart and you're sacked.

And I don't really buy the idea that his achievements are undermined if he doesn't do well at his next club either. Plenty of top managers are remembered for spells of success that are a lot briefer than you remember. Arsene Wenger's esteem as a manager largely comes from a select time that ultimately spanned less than a decade, and which basically involved three or so select seasons, but the mediocrity he found himself dwelling in for the majority of his time at Arsenal doesn't undermine his genuinely fantastic achievements which came before.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid

As the day progressed I thought Bale would post something, even to keep the appearances and not make it so obvious by being the only one not to send Zidane a message, but maybe he doesn't give a feck if people start assuming he is the cause.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Makes him look daft honestly. I hope Madrid bins him at the first occasion.

pascell

Fecking legend.

Take a bow!
Shots fired at Jose on this one...

Zinedine Zidane walks away from Real Madrid after having unlocked the potential of the squad that was given to him. He didn’t beg for respect, he isn’t chasing a €150m midfielder in order to unlock the potential of the €105m midfielder he bought in 2016, he just made it work.

Deleted member 101472

So obviously, Zidane is going to take over the French job and with a golden generation, France will win euro 2020 and World Cup 2022.

Will this make him the most successful guy in the history of the sport?

By the time he is 50 he could have won everything possible as a player, a club manager and a national team manager.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
So obviously, Zidane is going to take over the French job and with a golden generation, France will win euro 2020 and World Cup 2022.

Will this make him the most successful guy in the history of the sport?
He would be up there, but not standing alone.

The only one with a comparable trophy haul is Beckenbauer. He has 3 CLs, 1 WC, 1 Euros and 2 Ballon d‘Or as a player. As a coach, he won 1 WC, 1 Uefa Cup, 1 German Title and 1 French Title.

That would mean a better career as a player and theoretically a worse career as a coach. At the moment though, he is ahead by quite a distance and I would say Mario Zagallo is also in front of Zidane comfortably for now.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I’d like to see him take on United job after Mou
If Mou can build a team for him that would be great However, it wouldn't be like Madrid where he is idolised and knows everyone, he would be respected of course but he would very much be an outsider, in a league in which he never played, with players and staff he has never worked with before, in a league where there 5-6 high quality teams.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If Mou can build a team for him that would be great However, it wouldn't be like Madrid where he is idolised and knows everyone, he would be respected of course but he would very much be an outsider, in a league in which he never played, with players and staff he has never worked with before, in a league where there 5-6 high quality teams.
Oh it would be challenging of course but 3 CL titles in a row would command respect. I think he’d get the team rocking with minimal change and have a Klopp effect, but less cheesy cringe

Bojan11

Same.

Don’t care what people say about the squad. Zidane barely spent any money there. They were disappointing in the league in his third season. But in the champions league especially he seems to get every sub right.

Pep had better squads and couldn’t manage 3 in a row. Not that Peps a failure or anything. But it’s a remarkable feat he managed especially when you got PSG and City throwing hundreds of millions trying to get their hands on that trophy.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Same.

Don’t care what people say about the squad. Zidane barely spent any money there. They were disappointing in the league in his third season. But in the champions league especially he seems to get every sub right.

Pep had better squads and couldn’t manage 3 in a row. Not that Peps a failure or anything. But it’s a remarkable feat he managed especially when you got PSG and City throwing hundreds of millions trying to get their hands on that trophy.
It's very difficult to keep the team motivated to renew a league title. Winning the league is an endurance test, but the Champions League is more like 110m hurdles, easier to motivate the players.

It happens to every team that wins consecutive titles: the players just decompress.

Deleted member 101472

I wouldn’t object to it, but I wonder how he would deal with the younger players who wouldn’t hold him in as high of a regard.

At Madrid, the bulk of that team is made up of players who would have seen Zidane in his prime, lifting world cups, euros and champions leagues. He’s one of the few people in football that could be in that Madrid changing room and command respect off his reputation alone. Plus, he’s a Real Madrid legend too.

The France job is his when he wants it, and maybe he’ll eventually head back into the club game.

MJJ

This 100%.
I wouldn’t object to it, but I wonder how he would deal with the younger players who wouldn’t hold him in as high of a regard.

At Madrid, the bulk of that team is made up of players who would have seen Zidane in his prime, lifting world cups, euros and champions leagues. He’s one of the few people in football that could be in that Madrid changing room and command respect off his reputation alone. Plus, he’s a Real Madrid legend too.

The France job is his when he wants it, and maybe he’ll eventually head back into the club game.
Its Zidane? He would be the idol for most of those young people.

Varun

Staff

Its Zidane.

NYAS

I know this is going to sound really silly considering what he has achieved, but the fact that he has never won a domestic cup competition either as a player or a manager is a small blemish on his CV to me. But I guess no one is perfect.

Jotun

I know this is going to sound really silly considering what he has achieved, but the fact that he has never won a domestic cup competition either as a player or a manager is a small blemish on his CV to me. But I guess no one is perfect.
He won Seria A as a player with Juventus.

TheRedScot

In Any Fight It’s The Guy Whose Willing To Die Who
People forget he finished 3rd in the league 17 points Barcelona. His three champions league wins deserve huge respect. Though i do think Real Were Relatively poor in lots of CL Games this season. They got lucky in big moments in the latter rounds. And that ultimately helped them lift the cup. Luck is far less likely to win you a league title. Thats why i think he and the team should also be judged on there extremely poor league performances. Not only there CL Run

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
He nearly won the league in his first part-season (with a 12 game winning streak) and won it in his second (the club’s first since 2011/12 and before that 2007/08).

Their league record is very good. The only real blot is the first half of his third season.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Seriously? The man has won the WC, Euro, multiple CLs, multiple league titles and you criticize him for a lack of domestic cups?

Varun

Staff
Yes, its really silly.