g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Zlatan - closing in on joining LA Galaxy (MLS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about...MLS has continuously grown in the US (North America in general / including Canada) each year by a considerable amount. It’s now holding its own versus the other mainstream sports leagues and continues to grow. And you couldn’t be anymore wrong. Zlatan even at the form he is in now is better and more talented than 99% of players in his position in the MLS aka he’s a clear upgrade which is indisputable really. MLS teams that pay their top players pay them just as much and in many cases more than what they’d be able to get in Europe so it’s not like it’d be out of the ordinary in this case for LA to “overpay” him as they’re more than willing to do so, as are other clubs - not like they’d be going out of their way to do so. And no, we’ll (MLS/North America) will gladly take aging legends every day of the week. Like I said, they’re still more talented than practically the entire league and attract huge crowds; you probably don’t understand but these are players which we’ve seen on TV our whole lives but haven’t had the chance to see in person due to living on the other side of the world. We definitely don’t take that for granted regardless of them being past their prime or whatnot.

...like I said, nope just no way at all lol
Much more of a clue than you it would seem. LA Galaxy is in Carson, not in Vancouver where the game might enjoy better support. Moreover, LA is a strange beast when it comes to professional sports teams in general - teams have come & gone and interests are varied. In terms of MLS attendance, the majority of the clubs have seen their attendance actually decrease in what were already small stadiums - this includes Stubhub in Carson. So while coverage & infusion of money have indeed increased, that has not translated in any measurable - not in terms of USNT, not in terms of MLS-based American NT members, not in terms of CONCACAF Champions League performances, not in terms of market share compared to the other dominant sporting leagues and most importantly not on the proverbial pitch. Even the US' biggest talent, plies his trade far away in Germany and won't be coming to the MLS until he hits his own twilight years - provided the league is still around

Jaybomb

Can you really justify spending 250K on a striker under the belief that a scenario might come up where he would come off the bench and win a game for us. Bearing in mind you have probably Rashford on the bench and the likes of Martial and Sanchez more than capable of putting in a shift as a striker.

Also from Zlatan's perspective, would you want to see out your contract under the hope of getting that one chance or would you prefer to go to LA and play regularly.
Isn’t he only on 150k now? He took a big paycut this season.

And yes I’d absolutely keep him until the summer.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
@FCBarca yea, you don’t have a clue no offense as attendance was at an all time high this past season lol

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls-attendance-tv-ratings-lag-us-mulls-future/
MLS averaged 22,000 in attendance for the first time in its history this season, ranked among the top seven leagues in the world. The league is set to add a second Los Angeles franchise next year, announce two expansion cities next month and at some point finalize David Beckham’s long-pending Miami club.

MLS trails only the Germany’s Bundesliga, England’s Premier League, Spain’s La Liga, Mexico’s Liga MX, the Chinese Super League and Serie A, with Italy’s first division ahead by only 22,177 to 22,106.
As for your original post which I responded to, “taking into account how unpopular the sport remains in the US” - it’s the fastest growing sport there and also only behind baseball for most played sport averaging 1 person in every 3 households playing some level of football.

Deleted member 101472

@VancouverUtdFan

i've yet to see any of the "legends" that have gone over there in the last decade really stand out. Its noticeable on the ball how better the likes of pirlo and Kaka are technically, but the MLS isn't about technique, you need at least 2 of speed/agility/power. Thats why giovinco has been so successful, because he was young enough and also had far superior technique. Zlatan will not do well in the MLS from a performance standpoint, and would be outshone by Jose Altidore, which would never happen in Europe.

And the sport is becoming more popular, but don't forget that this is probably one of the main reasons;

The cost of playing sports in North America

Lacrosse
Average: $7,956

Maximum: $17,500

Hockey
Average: $7,013

Maximum: $19,000

Baseball/Softball
Average: $4,044

Maximum: $9,900

Football
Average: $2,739

Maximum: $9,500

Soccer
Average: $1,472

Maximum: $5,500

Basketball
Average: $1,143

Maximum: $5,150

Basketball is the cheapest to play but when you look at the High level, theres a very clear set of characteristics associated with having a chance of being a pro player, so if you aren't at least 6 and a half feet plus, it's nigh on impossible to make it at any level. (Obviously some do)

haram

Los Angelinos might enjoy Ibra's ego & personality taking into account how unpopular the sport & league remains in the US but I think even the niche fans in LA reproach the idea of being a retirement community for overpaid European stars

I think this move has a high probability of being a failure in just about every sense
:lol:

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Beauty of statistics, you can get it to show what you want. Here are some actual facts that make your stats look useless. Average attendance per club is indeed at its highest (22k) since the league began nearly 2 decades ago. Yet, only 5/22 clubs have stadiums that can even hold 22,000 and as I previously mentioned only 6/22 clubs saw an increase in their attendance from last year - the rest all saw decreases

James Peril

Would be a shame while we’re still in the CL, even though our chances are super-slim. Seeing him lift the trophy would be a fitting end to his European career...

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
@Arbitrium true. As for the cost thing, it’s usually the case in general across the globe. But as it stands baseball (3rd highest average price on that list) is the most played sport in the US fwiw

Number1

Wonder how much it cost the club giving him a new contract this season? Would guess probably around £5m in wages.

He was great last season and know the injury wasn't his fault, but it's a ruthless world at the end of the day and can't carry passengers in football, so have to say the new contract was a bad decision by our medical team and the club itself if he does end up leaving this window.

Deleted member 101472

@Arbitrium true. As for the cost thing, it’s usually the case in general across the globe. But as it stands baseball (3rd highest average price on that list) is the most played sport in the US fwiw
Baseball/softball might be so high because of the amount of co-ed intramural stuff that goes in. Don't think i've been in any city where there isn't a hugely popular league. Which is strange considering how awful the sport is.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Beauty of statistics, you can get it to show what you want. Here are some actual facts that make your stats look useless. Average attendance per club is indeed at its highest (22k) since the league began nearly 2 decades ago. Yet, only 5/22 clubs have stadiums that can even hold 22,000 and as I previously mentioned only 6/22 clubs saw an increase in their attendance from last year - the rest all saw decreases
Well that is how averages work after all. You can say the same thing for Serie A or just about any league, doesn’t mean anything. And still doesn’t take away from you saying football is unpopular which is just completely false lol.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Well that is how averages work after all. You can say the same thing for Serie A or just about any league, doesn’t mean anything. And still doesn’t take away from you saying football is unpopular which is just completely false lol.
I was speaking about LA specifically and means on their own is useless when the majority of the clubs can’t even reach that figure

As a professional sports league, no it is not growing - even with the infusion of money, it remains an unprofitable sport

Football is indeed popular at the grassroots level and among minority communities but I guarantee you the majority are not watching/attending the MLS

Which is also why I see the Zlatan move unsuccessful for all involved

GBBQ

Isn’t he only on 150k now? He took a big paycut this season.

And yes I’d absolutely keep him until the summer.
Even 150K would still put him in the top 20 highest earners in the league.In fairness I doubt United are too worried about the wage side of things but I can imagine they can see plus sides to him leaving. If both sides are happy to continue as is then of course he should stay but I don't think United should be worried about him leaving.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Seems like Jose's not too concerned with him leaving. Definetely think it's happening.

Red00012

What’s his injury situation? Isn’t he due back next week, I thought JM said he would be back in February.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Hopefully he makes one more cameo for us at least so we can give him a good send off. Hopefully he stays till the summer. His experience may be key in Champs League as a late sub.

VanGaalyTime

Wonder how much it cost the club giving him a new contract this season? Would guess probably around £5m in wages.

He was great last season and know the injury wasn't his fault, but it's a ruthless world at the end of the day and can't carry passengers in football, so have to say the new contract was a bad decision by our medical team and the club itself if he does end up leaving this window.
Exactly. What a terrible decision. Many said so at the time, and wondered why we weren't replacing him. That 5m we spent paying Ibra was the difference between us an Inter on Perisic. I truly hope we're moving towards a more football-oriented approach at the boardroom/transfer level and away from marketing and agent-driven decisions because we've been scammed many times in the past.

Last edited:

BigdaftGorby

Great player, unfortunately we got him in his last throws of his career.
His departure (if it happens) will lower the wage bill.
Been a good player for us.

SillyUsername

Let's get him the Champions League as a leaving present.
Oh yes, sure. Let's just carry a man to a Champions League trophy and pay him six figures a week for the privilege.

Sooner he goes, the better. He offers almost nothing to the team and is a drain on the resources.

All this talk of being a lion, it's a load of rubbish. Although one thing I will add: in the wild, a male lion in his prime will see off other males who try to muscle in on his territory. When he gets older though, younger, stronger males will challenge him and see him off, maybe kill him.

If Zlatan truly is a lion, that is the stage he's now, sadly, at. The stage where younger and stronger males need to see him off and put him out of his misery. He's no longer good enough for Manchester United and there isn't enough time left to turn it around.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Oh yes, sure. Let's just carry a man to a Champions League trophy and pay him six figures a week for the privilege.

Sooner he goes, the better. He offers almost nothing to the team and is a drain on the resources.

All this talk of being a lion, it's a load of rubbish. Although one thing I will add: in the wild, a male lion in his prime will see off other males who try to muscle in on his territory. When he gets older though, younger, stronger males will challenge him and see him off, maybe kill him.

If Zlatan truly is a lion, that is the stage he's now, sadly, at. The stage where younger and stronger males need to see him off and put him out of his misery. He's no longer good enough for Manchester United and there isn't enough time left to turn it around.
It was a joke, I couldn't care less who personally benefits from winning the Champions League apart from us as a club. But interesting to see some surpressed thoughts on Zlatan.

Nick7

I was speaking about LA specifically and means on their own is useless when the majority of the clubs can’t even reach that figure

As a professional sports league, no it is not growing - even with the infusion of money, it remains an unprofitable sport

Football is indeed popular at the grassroots level and among minority communities but I guarantee you the majority are not watching/attending the MLS

Which is also why I see the Zlatan move unsuccessful for all involved
Might as well give up then. That's it, MLS is cancelled because FC Barca says so.

Penalty

Ibra is bound for the MLS. Whether it's right now or after this season is a different story.

He'll play over there because of his aura and mentality - has the pull to increase the popularity of the sport. He also has different ideas for his post-football career, such as maybe acting something that'll be easier to achieve there.

But I think it all depends on his injury. How much has it affected his ability? A lot? Then I don't think he'll play there since he mainly wants to 'dominate' like he prefers to say. And if he really is close to reaching normal Ibra-level, then why would ge leave the club in such a depressing way. He likely want to show his mafic one last time and if that would help to win two huge unlikely titles, CL and PL this season then it's a bonus. He'd probably love playing with suxh agood player like Sanchez also.

But it all depends on his fitness. Whatever happens, just hope it will be the best for both club and player.

Oh right, whatever happened to Beckham's MLS club plans? Was it Florida? Read stuff about him wanting to start his own club and even wanted Ibra.

Last edited by a moderator:

poleglass red

LA taking a big gamble here, obviously if he gets fit or close enough to it, it's a no brainer, but as of now he hasn't proven he has gotten over that terrible injury he had. I'd imagine they'll do their due diligence but he looked so far of the pace in the few games he did play, it's hard to see how he'll get back to where he needs to be. Factor in that some teams still play on artificial turf over there and the crazy travelling you have to do due to the size of the continent.

poleglass red

Ibra is bound for the MLS. Whether it's right now or after this season is a different story.

He'll play over there because of his aura and mentality - has the pull to increase the popularity of the sport. He also has different ideas for his post-football career, such as maybe acting something that'll be easier to achieve there.

But I think it all depends on his injury. How much has it affected his ability? A lot? Then I don't think he'll play there since he mainly wants to 'dominate' like he prefers to say. And if he really is close to reaching normal Ibra-level, then why would ge leave the club in such a depressing way. He likely want to show his mafic one last time and if that would help to win two huge unlikely titles, CL and PL this season then it's a bonus. He'd probably love playing with suxh agood player like Sanchez also.

But it all depends on his fitness. Whatever happens, just hope it will be the best for both club and player.

Oh right, whatever happened to Beckham's MLS club plans? Was it Florida? Read stuff about him wanting to start his own club and even wanted Ibra.
Yes Beckham was Florida, Miami to be exact, he actually has a presser today to possibly launch it

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So no word on whether or not this is happening this week. Must mean he's staying til end of season.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Zero surprise. Both parties can move forward better this way I think. Grateful for the goals he gave us.

kundalini

So no word on whether or not this is happening this week. Must mean he's staying til end of season.
Their transfer window is different to ours so he can go any time, should we allow it. Their season starts in early March. Schweinsteiger left United in mid March last year.

I would imagine much will depend on what LA Galaxy want, and how much playing time Zlatan might reasonably expect to get if he stays at United until the end of the season. 20 mins as a sub most games might be enough to convince him to stay but he might not make the bench when everyone is fit.

This season has been bizarre to say the least. He came back looking miles off the pace. Now he disappears for a month in order to get fit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Their transfer window is different to ours so he can go any time, should we allow it. Their season starts in early March. Schweinsteiger left United in mid March last year.
Yeah forgot about that. Although I hope he stays until our season is over since he would come in handy if we go deep into the CL.

peridigm

Only way the #10 shirt will be available is if he leaves. He'll relish the lifestyle and retire in LA.

Was fun while it lasted though.

RepardReece

I'll miss him but probably the best thing for him. Thanks Zlatan for purely coming to Manchester United...

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Can you really justify spending 250K on a striker under the belief that a scenario might come up where he would come off the bench and win a game for us. Bearing in mind you have probably Rashford on the bench and the likes of Martial and Sanchez more than capable of putting in a shift as a striker.

Also from Zlatan's perspective, would you want to see out your contract under the hope of getting that one chance or would you prefer to go to LA and play regularly.
It was revealed that he received an average of £418k per week last season including bonuses. Let's hope his current deal is significantly "pay as you play".

MAME DIOUF 32

Pretty gutted that his return from a nasty injury has been such a damp squib. I guess those reports about the club not thinking he was in the same place as he was were true. Maybe there's still time for him to get a ridiculous bicycle kick or something in before he goes.

Absolute TRAVESTY that he didn't wear #7 last season as well.

Robertd0803

Didn't we have a contract extension on the table for months before the injury but he refused to sign it?

We're not a charity and we don't owe any player a living just because they suffered a bad injury.
Both points are true, that is another way of looking at it.

Canagel

I don't want Zlatan to leave before the end of the season. We are entering a crucial part of the season and 1 injury to Lukaku can change everything. He has been rehabilitating with the club since his injury so it makes absolutely no sense to let him go just as he becomes fully fit. Imagine he goes to the MLS and god forbid Lukaku breaks his leg. All of a sudden we are down to the bare bones again. We will need his experience and winning mentality even if he's not playing. Wasn't he supposed to take a coaching role with Jose after his contract ends? Zlatan won't leave unless he feels he can't contribute and isn't needed. His ego won't allow that to happen. If he feels he can't give anymore he'll be the first one to hang up his boots because I don't see him hanging around to make up the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.